• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wafflinson

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
A lot of people on that list I can get behind.

Hope its not Bernie though. Too much animosity there and he was a bit of a blowhard last time with all that nonsense shit about Hillary's speeches and the lack of real plans or accomplishments.

TheIlliterati

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Whoever it is needs to understand that the base wants a fucking FIGHT. None of this chasing the mythical independent voter bullshit or "gosh guys let's be adults here and try and work with the party aiding and abetting a traitor," shit that Democrats pull whenever they get a sniff of power.

And for fucks sake stop pouring cold water on your own ranks.
This forever. I want a democrat who really cleans house and makes people(Republican leaders) pay for what they've done these years. Not just back to business as usual.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
He says it in context but it exposes his thought process. He doesn't want to balance things so it doesn't cause too much harm, he only wants to benefit one side. Its a zero sum view. Same reason he likes tariffs.

The country effectively had open borders for a very long time until the GOP restricted immigration and FDR upheld those restrictions in order to maintain his coalition along with the second class treatment of black Americans. The concerns on tarriffs, anti immigration, and policy towards minorities are all linked because they're fundamentally exclusionary and protectionist.
until you find a contemporary mainstream american politician on the record supporting open borders, i can't agree with you that sander's answer to that question is at all controversial.

there is a difference between having open borders in the 1800s, when america was not fully settled and easily accessible international travel was not available, and having open borders today

legislation like the johnson reed act passed with broad bipartisan support and not just due to the GOP (though it was introduced by republicans)

i don't think any mainstream politician pushing for immigration reform are talking about open borders, but if you can link me to someone doing that, i'll happily admit i'm wrong

Albert

Oct 25, 2017
Whoever it is needs to understand that the base wants a fucking FIGHT. None of this chasing the mythical independent voter bullshit or "gosh guys let's be adults here and try and work with the party aiding and abetting a traitor," shit that Democrats pull whenever they get a sniff of power.

And for fucks sake stop pouring cold water on your own ranks.
God, yes. The Republican Party needs to be held accountable for enabling this corrupt administration's worst impulses.

The candidate who says they're actually going to put up a fight, only negotiate with Republicans as a last resort, and do to the Republicans what Mitch McConnell did to us will get my vote. As it stands, though, I don't think anyone like that is running.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
until you find a contemporary mainstream american politician on the record supporting open borders, i can't agree with you that sander's answer to that question is at all controversial.

there is a difference between having open borders in the 1800s, when america was not fully settled and easily accessible international travel was not available, and having open borders today

legislation like the johnson reed act passed with broad bipartisan support and not just due to the GOP (though it was introduced by republicans)

i don't think any mainstream politician pushing for immigration reform are talking about open borders, but if you can link me to someone doing that, i'll happily admit i'm wrong
White unions excluding black Americans because "they'll take our jobs".
Americans excluding immigrants because "they'll take our jobs".
Americans excluding foreign goods because "it's unfair competition"

All the same impulse. Open borders is not the point I'm making, its Sanders reaction to that hypothetical that (and other stuff in the same interview and throughout his career) and you seem to deliberately be missing it.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
White unions excluding black Americans because "they'll take our jobs".
sanders has never been supporting this as far as i know
Americans excluding immigrants because "they'll take our jobs".
sanders doesn't seem to be against all labour immigration in totality, but, along with the entire political mainstream, is against unregulated "open borders" immigration
Americans excluding foreign goods because "it's unfair competition"
he does indeed seem to do this, and i conceded this point from the very start

(a case can be made that trade agreement should include provisions on unionization rights, and workplace regulations, but based on the wording sanders uses on this matter, he doesn't seem to be making this more nuanced argument)

Last edited:

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
sanders have never been support in this as far as i know

sanders doesn't seem to be against all labour immigration in totality, but, along with the entire political mainstream, is against unregulated "open borders" immigration

he does indeed seem to do this, and i conceded this point from the very start

(a case can be made that trade agreement should include provisions on unionization rights, and workplace regulations, but based on the wording sanders uses on this matters, he doesn't seem to be making this more nuanced argument)
These are all things that white rural populists like. It's incredibly hard to disentangle the issues many have with Sanders because so much of it is rooted in the history/behavior of his voting base,. He has been representing the second whitest second most rural state in the US and things like decrying "identity politics" coming out of his mouth are why.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
These are all things that white rural populists like. It's incredibly hard to disentangle the issues many have with Sanders because so much of it is rooted in the history/behavior of his voting base,. He has been representing the second whitest second most rural state in the US and things like decrying "identity politics" coming out of his mouth are why.
i agree that sanders has bad political instincts on the wording he uses on some of these issues, maybe due to coming from a mostly white state, as you say

i personally think that the way forward for the democratic party is to unite the strength on economical policies of the sanders wing, with the strength on social justice policies of the party establishment wing, and as long as people like him continue putting their foot in their mouth on stuff like BLM, or sounding like Trump when decrying trade deals (instead of criticizing them for legitimate issues that could be vastly improved), the mutual distrust between these wings will not disappear, and that is very unfortunate

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i agree that sanders has bad political instincts on the wording he uses on some of these issues, maybe due to coming from a mostly white state, as you say

i personally think that the way forward for the democratic party is to unite the strength on economical policies of the sanders wing, with the strength on social justice policies of the party establishment wing, and as long as people like him continue putting their foot in their mouth on stuff like BLM, or sounding like Trump when decrying trade deals (instead of criticizing them for legitimate issues that could be vastly improved), the mutual distrust between these wings will not disappear, and that is very unfortunate
The problem is that you can't unite it because the swing voters nationally are people who like government benefits but hate BLM/NAFTA/etc. So they keep waffling back and forth. And since America is doing well and Racism is a luxury good, the GOP dominates.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
The problem is that you can't unite it because the swing voters nationally are people who like government benefits but hate BLM/NAFTA/etc. So they keep waffling back and forth. And since America is doing well and Racism is a luxury good, the GOP dominates.
they can be united if your goal is to try to reach the 50% of the population that doesn't vote, rather than going after fickle swing voters

i know you have some reservations about this chart that i made and that i always use for my swedesplaining, but there is a lot of the political spectrum that is not catered to by the two big american parties, and i think there is a blue ocean of voters here for the democratic party
politicalspectrumeuvscrcb3.png

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
they can be united if your goal is to try to reach the 50% of the population that doesn't vote, rather than going after fickle swing voters

i know you have some reservations about this chart that i made and that i always use for my swedesplaining, but there is a lot of the political spectrum that is not catered to by the two big american parties, and i think there is a blue ocean of voters here for the democratic party
politicalspectrumeuvscrcb3.png
You've seen the Voter Study Group data, right?

The reason that the GOP cleaves its messaging on social issues is because they literaly can't win on Economic ones. It's why Trump lying about things like Medicare/Medicaid/Obamacare/etc was so successful and also while his approval ratings have tanked as he governs mostly from the upper right..

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
You've seen the Voter Study Group data, right?

The reason that the GOP cleaves its messaging on social issues is because they literaly can't win on Economic ones. It's why Trump lying about things like Medicare/Medicaid/Obamacare/etc was so successful and also while his approval ratings have tanked as he governs mostly from the upper right..
so in america, people in the upper right are super happy with the republicans, and those in the lower right are super happy with the democrats

people in the lower left either don't vote or reluctantly vote for the democrats to avoid the even worse republicans

people in the upper left often vote republican because the republicans are better at catering to them on social issues than democrats are at catering to them on economical issues

so i think the democrats should try to move to the left on economical issues, and broadcast this intention hard, to win over some of the people in the upper left and to get more people in the lower left to vote

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
so in america, people in the upper right are super happy with the republicans, and those in the lower right are super happy with the democrats

people in the lower left either don't vote or reluctantly vote for the democrats to avoid the even worse republicans

people in the upper left often vote republican because the republicans are better at catering to them on social issues than democrats are at catering to them on economical issues

so i think the democrats should try to move to the left on economical issues, and broadcast this intention hard, to win over some of the people in the upper left and to get more people in the lower left to vote
The problem is well... the data explains why that isn't an actual solution. https://www.voterstudygroup.org/publications/2016-elections/political-divisions-in-2016-and-beyond
Liberal (44.6 percent): Lower left, liberal on both economic and identity issues
Populist (28.9 percent): Upper left, liberal on economic issues, conservative on identity issues
Conservative (22.7 percent): Upper right, conservative on both economic and identity issues
Libertarian (3.8 percent): Lower right, conservative on economics, liberal on identity issues

On the far left economically you can see the line go from solid blue to mixed to pure red going from bottom to top. How do you get those voters with "economic" policy when "economic" policy isn't what differentiates them?

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
The problem is well... the data explains why that isn't an actual solution. https://www.voterstudygroup.org/publications/2016-elections/political-divisions-in-2016-and-beyond

On the far left economically you can see the line go from solid blue to mixed to pure red going from bottom to top. How do you get those voters with "economic" policy when "economic" policy isn't what differentiates them?
by increasing the difference in economic policy between the two parties, which is now much too small, and targeting your messaging so that those on the upper (and lower) left are aware of this change

you'll often hear people on the left (both upper and lower) saying that there is no difference between the two parties. change their minds

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
by increasing the difference in economic policy between the two parties, which is now much too small, and targeting your messaging so that those on the upper (and lower) left are aware of this change
This is where the ugly confluence of economic/social policy comes into play and why winning them over becomes difficult.

The upper left want increased social benefits for them and want those benefits actively excluded to people who aren't part of the "in group", whatever "in group" that may be (white people, men, Americans, etc.)

This is why Obama would attack Hillary on NAFTA. This is exactly how you pander to that group.

Deleted member 2426

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I doubt Tulsi will run if Bernie runs. I also hope Warren comes to her senses and let Bernie pass if he runs.

Hopefully the progressive pre-candidates do a good enough job deflating Biden soon-ish. Otherwise he will be a Hillary situation but worse.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
This is where the ugly confluence of economic/social policy comes into play and why winning them over becomes difficult.

The upper left want increased social benefits for them and want those benefits actively excluded to people who aren't part of the "in group", whatever "in group" that may be (white people, men, Americans, etc.)

This is why Obama would attack Hillary on NAFTA. This is exactly how you pander to that group.
this is how you pander to that group when you don't have the courage/political will to do actual meaningful large-scale changes on the economical policy axis

if you give people a year of parental leave, public unemployment insurance, a month of paid vacation per year, collective bargaining rights, improved infrastructure, free higher education, heavily subsidized child daycare racist white people will be happy even if it means black people would get it as well

the trick is pushing for enough left-wing economical policy that is good for the vast majority of the population, that people will look past their racism

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
It's a shame if Joe Biden is running because it won't make for a every interesting contest. He'll win the nomination. Don't get me wrong I like him but I think new blood and new stars is really needed in the Democratic party. They need an exciting open season contest like the GoP always seems to have.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this is how you pander to that group when you don't have the courage/political will to do actual meaningful large-scale changes on the economical policy axis

if you give people a year of parental leave, public unemployment insurance, a month of paid vacation per year, collective bargaining rights, improved infrastructure, free higher education, heavily subsidized child daycare racist white people will be happy even if it means black people would get it as well

the trick is pushing for enough left-wing economical policy that is good for the vast majority of the population, that people will look past their racism
You don't have the political will because these swing voters react to universal policies like these through the racist goggles and see them as handouts to the "other."

It's why you had the GOP go nuts in 2010 w/ pickups in reaction to Obamacare and now things are swinging the other direction in 2018 based on the GOP trying to take it away.

These voters aren't rational actors and can't be treated as such.

edit: McElwee with a graph pointing out just how far to the right white voters are as a whole relative to non-white ones-

Goat Mimicry

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This forever. I want a democrat who really cleans house and makes people(Republican leaders) pay for what they've done these years. Not just back to business as usual.

Yes please. Republicans need to finally face consequences for a change or else it's guaranteed we'll get another Trump a few more presidential elections down the road.

Oct 27, 2017

Except it's been proven time and time again that that won't be the case. Racists whites will vote against their own best interests if it means screwing over minorities even more.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
You don't have the political will because these swing voters react to universal policies like these through the racist goggles and see them as handouts to the "other."

It's why you had the GOP go nuts in 2010 w/ pickups in reaction to Obamacare and now things are swinging the other direction in 2018 based on the GOP trying to take it away.

These voters aren't rational actors and can't be treated as such.
obamacare was a decent compromice policy, but hard to explain to people who are not political nerds

you need several paragraphs to explain how the three-legged stool (to borrow a phrase from krugman) of obamacare works

as such it was easy to attack

i don't think policies like parental leave, public unemployment insurance, a month of paid vacation per year, collective bargaining rights, improved infrastructure, free higher education and heavily subsidized child daycare would face the same pedagogical challenges the ACA did

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
obamacare was a decent compromice policy, but hard to explain to people who are not political nerds

you need several paragraphs to explain how the three-legged stool of obamacare (to borrow a phrase from krugman) works

as such it was easy to attack

i don't think policies like parental leave, public unemployment insurance, a month of paid vacation per year, collective bargaining rights, improved infrastructure, free higher education and heavily subsidized child daycare would face the same pedagogical challenges the ACA did
(hopefully you see the edit above, it's pretty stark on the UBI stuff as to what's going on)

It doesn't matter how simple or complicated it is, it will still be framed as "YOUR HARDWORKING TAX DOLLARS ARE GOING TO THOSE WELFARE QUEENS AND JOB STEALERS" by the conservatives and you'll face a backlash wave.

The key is to do the best thing policy wise, assuming it needs to survive GOP bad faith tampering, and doing everything you want in the 2 years you have.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Except it's been proven time and time again that that won't be the case. Racists whites will vote against their own best interests if it means screwing over minorities even more.
this was indeed proven 50 years ago

but both demographics and policy preferences have changed a lot since then

racist white workers was a much bigger part of the electorate then than they are now

precariat workers (of any races) was a much smaller part of the electorate then than they are now

the political truths from 50 or 30 years ago are not the truths of today

Deleted member 13628

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I like Bernie. But I dont think he would win against the Republican machine.
I think he's the only one who can win against the republican machine. The other dems are just too soft spoken, or they restrain themselves because they have to (Clinton). Republicans feed off of that passiveness. Bernie gives no shits and will call out other people on their bullshit right on stage. He attacks like a rabid dog. That's what people like. In a way that's what they liked about Trump: he never backed away from all of his bullshit and instead just doubled down. That projects strength.

Moreover I don't trust any of these other dems. They may say some of the right things publicly, but behind the scenes is a different story. Bernie is genuine and his ideas are actually what the country needs.

Oct 27, 2017

racist white workers was a much bigger part of the electorate then than they are now

precariat workers (of any races) was a much smaller part of the electorate then than they are now

We literally have Trump supporters saying they'll continue supporting him and would vote for him again despite flat out being told that they've been duped. That combined with the numerous articles post election that show "economic anxiety" wasn't a primary motivating factor show that what was true 50 years ago is still true today. You're just falling for the evolution of coded language

eWDdR65.jpg

Last edited:

Veggen

Oct 25, 2017
We literally have Trump supporters saying they'll continue supporting him and would vote for him again despite flat out being told that they've been duped. That combined with the numerous articles post election that show "economic anxiety" wasn't a primary motivating factor show that what was true 50 years ago is still true today.
I don't think Bernie or any other candidate for the democratic party will convert Trump voters. Or are you suggesting other candidates would be more successful?

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
(hopefully you see the edit above, it's pretty stark on the UBI stuff as to what's going on)

It doesn't matter how simple or complicated it is, it will still be framed as "YOUR HARDWORKING TAX DOLLARS ARE GOING TO THOSE WELFARE QUEENS AND JOB STEALERS" by the conservatives and you'll face a backlash wave.

The key is to do the best thing policy wise, assuming it needs to survive GOP bad faith tampering, and doing everything you want in the 2 years you have.
UBI, universal basic wealth and racial reparations are extremist policies even in europe. they'd also benefit poor people selectively, so they're more easily attacked as being for "them" rather than for "you", even though they would actually be beneficial for "you"

i don't think the same would apply for policies like universal healthcare, parental leave, public unemployment insurance, a month of paid vacation per year, collective bargaining rights, improved infrastructure, free higher education and heavily subsidized child daycare that would very clearly benefit also working whites in addition to workers of other races

i would like to see poll numbers for such less extreme policies instead

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Demographics are changing but the imbalance of the Senate representation, combined with the lesser imbalance of the House representation end up with a government that is far, far whiter (the Median Senate seat is 10% whiter than the national average) than the nation as a whole, which is how you get Trump winning the EC with a 3 million vote minority.

The extreme nature of the poll is good for teasing out core differences in ideology and showcasing just how big the gaps are. Also good at taking down the BS from some on the left that black Americans are "conservative" on economic issues.

Veggen

Oct 25, 2017
I think you've misread my post vs the posts I'm responding to. I'm saying they won't be converted
I read the other post as suggesting that there's a larger pool of non-racists that's still not completely tapped compared to 50 years ago. That could be a change in dynamics compared to back then, not that converting racists would be easier.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Harris doesn't have kids and Booker isn't married, why are we entertaining them as serious candidates, it's not going to happen.

cnorwood

Oct 28, 2017
I hope Bernie runs and wins, we as a country are going to have to go farther left as automation ravages the workforce

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Demographics are changing but the imbalance of the Senate representation, combined with the lesser imbalance of the House representation end up with a government that is far, far whiter (the Median Senate seat is 10% whiter than the national average) than the nation as a whole, which is how you get Trump winning the EC with a 3 million vote minority.
this is true and a problem
The extreme nature of the poll is good for teasing out core differences in ideology and showcasing just how big the gaps are.
yes maybe, but for selecting what policy to run on, less extreme policy proposals would have made for a more useful poll

Also good at taking down the BS from some on the left that black Americans are "conservative" on economic issues.
i wasn't aware this was a thing. i agree, it's pretty stupid

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yes maybe, but for selecting what policy to run on, less extreme policy proposals would have made for a more useful poll

i wasn't aware this was a thing. i agree, it's pretty stupid
Check out McElwee's twitter he's got a lot of polling data, this one is just good to cherrypick to make a few points on but there's a lot more actually actionable-in-the-next-decade stuff in there.

It's a thing because the people saying that don't understand the two/three dimensional nature of the voting electorate and things get boiled down to just economics because they've got a big blindspot for why black voters might be more pragmatic and small-c conservative on policy despite having more liberal policy preferences overall.

edit: Have you seen the data on wealth (not income) gaps between white Americans and other racial groups? It helps illuminate what's going on.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Check out McElwee's twitter he's got a lot of polling data, this one is just good to cherrypick to make a few points on but there's a lot more actually actionable-in-the-next-decade stuff in there.
i followed him, he seems to be saying a lot of interesting stuff

(he also seems to agree with me that democrats should push for more aggressive left-wing policy)
edit: Have you seen the data on wealth (not income) gaps between white Americans and other racial groups? It helps illuminate what's going on
i have not and would be interested in seeing it, though i can probably imagine what it looks like

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i followed him, he seems to be saying a lot of interesting stuff

(he also seems to agree with me that democrats should push for more aggressive left-wing policy)

i have not and would be interested in seeing it, though i can probably imagine what it looks like
McElwee does good work. Is very very much on the far left but actually does try to put his work on paper/work within established confines. (Whoever RustBeltJacobin is on twitter is similarly both leftist/realist in perspective- he had a great thread on how actually canvassing for votes quickly shocked him into reality and altered his worldview) McAlwee one of the first going all in on the Abolish ICE messaging and pushing it hard.

Wealth gap stuff- https://www.npr.org/sections/codesw...-have-half-the-wealth-of-white-single-parents

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/09/18/upshot/black-white-wealth-gap-perceptions.html

https://www.demos.org/publication/asset-value-whiteness-understanding-racial-wealth-gap

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...lag-far-behind-whites/?utm_term=.85dd14ce406c

http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/files/2016/06/ST_2016.06.27_Race-Inequality-Final.pdf

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this is pretty staggering
wealthgap03fl6.jpg

(graph shows $ of black family/worker wealth, income and wage per $100 of white family/worker wealth, income and wage
Yeah, you can understand the income part intuitively to a degree even if you're growing up in a well-off/white/etc area. What is much harder to grasp growing up is the legacy of having immigrants as parents/family vs having stolen slaves as your ancestors and just how much that impacts things when you have people starting from scratch rather than benefiting from the legacy thats been passed down. You have to have the numbers smack you in the face.

riverfr0zen

Oct 27, 2017
Manhattan, New York
I think Avenatti is an interesting candidate. Yes, he is totally an egoist and a showman, but isn't that exactly what they need, at least in part? I do need to hear more about his views on various topics, but Democrats really need someone who will slap Trump around with a halibut both in debates and in other platforms, and Avenatti is one of few people who I feel can do that and has been doing that.

Musings like these from Blumenthal make me wonder how disconnected he and other Democrats are from reality. I mean, I understand the importance of integrity and knowledge and that he will have to demonstrate that, but to discount the ability for showmanship and in fact be against it seems almost too dumb to be real.

"I would not support Michael Avenatti for President of the United States," Blumenthal said. "I'm not sure I would support him for any political office unless he could demonstrate knowledge of the issues."

Blumenthal also appeared to take shots at Avenatti's legal record on behalf of his client, Daniels, who alleges that Trump and Cohen defamed her and is also trying to void a nondisclosure agreement over what she says was a 2006 affair with the president.

"He has done very well for his client, less so maybe on the legal front," Blumenthal added.

Maybe I am wrong, and we should not be going for another potential 'strong-man' type. What do you folks think about it?

Ithil

Oct 25, 2017
How about you elect a politician who can actually run the country instead of a famehogging ambulance chaser?

Oct 28, 2017
Dublin
If I was American I would vote for Bernie.
Same. He's one of the only American politicians I see as not completely corrupted by money and has policy positions similar to that of European countries.

If sanders wins the primary trump will win the election by 20 points. America doesnt want an "athiest socialist" as president sadly.
Why? The American people are overwhelming in support of Sanders' policies such as Medicare for all and free college. The thing about Sanders was that he didn't care about traditional Republican vs Democrat nonsense like many people, even on this forum, seem to be. He had the ability to make a republican audience understand why his policies were better because he actually believes in them whereas traditional democrats such as Clinton would write off half the voters before campaigning even starts.

I don't want to have a Bernie debate though, especially on this forum.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
I'm done going high. Do whatever it takes. Principle won't protect same sex marriage, women's rights, and the civil rights act. It won't stop white supremacists and Nazis. Only winning does.

I was listening to NPR yesterday about the topic of non voters. Don't chase those 'both sides are the same' or the 'im done voting because the system sucks'. These people are hopeless. You're better off galvanizing your own base. Remember that we outnumber them.

Do precision attacks in key battleground states. Suppress their own voters via attack ads or OPPO research. Hire the best progressive minds in min maxing out chances. Do whatever it takes.

Anthony Mooch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In reality, if the Dems decide to double dip into an identity Poltics candidate they wont win 2020. Choose a good looking white guy and it becomes so much easier to win voters in the 7 states where the election matters. Who gives a fuck what New York or California want they were gonna vote whoever the D candidate was anyway. You need to play an election based on the 7 states that matter

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Avenatti is going to run because it's a good way to make money. Stein, Trump, and Carson were all running this grift and it blew up in Trump's face when his "THE PRODUCERS" strategy accidentally worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.