• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
WARNING: The contents of the article are graphic and can be considered disturbing.

Lainey recalled witnessing this kind of behavior on multiple occasions; "Things like introducing [Julie] as his ex-girlfriend and calling her fat when she walked away to go get a drink." Samantha also observed the way [Landis] spoke to both Julie and Dani Manning, a previous ex-girlfriend. "It was abusive," she insisted. "He would manipulate them, body-shame them and was just generally cruel."

As the founder and leader of the Colour Society, Landis was able to lavish his friends while also keeping them in line. "Every Halloween, he'd pick out his 10 favorite people of the moment, rent a limousine and take them celebrity party-hopping," Lainey recalled. "Then the next year, half those people weren't deemed worthy anymore and were replaced. He'd also hold annual 'Burning Max' trips to Big Bear or Idyllwild where it was the same deal. No matter the occasion he'd encourage people to talk shit about the people who weren't there. Create rifts he could manipulate later for fun, or get information he could use. It was both incredibly juvenile and a cleverly megalomaniacal way to keep people in line. Everyone wants to feel special, and he did that while also tearing you to shreds."

According to the author of the post, she was intoxicated when Landis first attempted to "grab" her. After she tried to run away, the writer continued, Landis "grabbed me and pushed me down onto the bed, with his knees holding my thighs apart and his hands holding down my arms so that I couldn't get away. I could feel his erection pressing into me through my clothes, and he was pulling up my shirt. He kept trying to kiss me as I was turning my head from side to side trying to dodge him. I kept saying no." Eventually, the writer wrote that she "went limp and pretended to pass out," and Landis got off of her.

There was another incident later on in their relationship, which Landis later claimed not to remember. "We finished having sex and we were standing naked in this kitchen and I slapped his butt, and he said, don't slap my butt. And I said, no, I'm going to, in a way that I thought was playful, and he snapped, is the only way I can describe it. He turned around and he put his hands around my throat and he got very close to my face and he said, 'I will fucking kill you. Do you understand what I'm saying? I will fucking kill you.'"

Seriously, there's so, so fucking much. This man is a monster and I truly hope that with this article he is done for good.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I know this is long, but I hope people will read the whole thing. The guy is an absolute monster and it's important to listen to these dozen-plus women.

Kenzodielocke

Oct 25, 2017
OP, maybe put a trigger warning in the title.

As for Landis, hope h goes to prison and has his carreer ended.

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus that article is a tough read. Part way through I thought 'This can't get much worse, right?' I was only like a 1/3 of the way in and the stories became worse and worse.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if his Dad can sweep this under the rug.
One of the craziest things about all this long-running Max Landis shit is that John Landis apparently has all this clout to bury any accusations against his son? I don't get it. The man's career peaked over 30 years ago! How the hell would he still have any influence like that today?

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
Hopefully there will be some kind repercussion for these actions, even him disappearing from public view forever would be a start.

Last edited:

Hewlett

Oct 27, 2017
One of the craziest things about all this long-running Max Landis shit is that John Landis apparently has all this clout to bury any accusations against his son? I don't get it. The man's career peaked over 30 years ago! How the hell would he still have any influence like that today?

Maybe John Landis threatened to drop some helicopters on people to keep this quiet.

Fevaweva

Oct 30, 2017

I don't get it either. You would think after Spielberg blacklisted him in the 80s after the helicopter incident, he would just fade away.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
Fuck this asshole, and I'm glad at least one media outlet has given these women a voice to tell their story and warn others of his behavior.

Ani Easton Baker and all the others here are heroines. Also:

FUCK THR FOR SWEEPING THEIR STORY UNDER THE RUG.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

You gotta ask the same questions about the people who looked away with Weinstein and the people who still defend Polanski all these years later.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get it either. You would think after Spielberg blacklisted him in the 80s after the helicopter incident, he would just fade away.
Someone in the other thread speculated it's his mother (apparently a famous costume designer) who's actually protecting him, but I dunno, it's hard to believe a costume designer would have that level of power.

John Landis may not have a career but he's probably still rich, and keep in mind, as this article points out, Max Landis mostly went after young actresses new to Hollywood, which is the sort of person a wealthy director might be able to threaten, even if the threat wasn't real as he's a has-been.

OP
OP

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
According to some of the accusers, it's not just John Landis but Max's mom Deborah Nadoolman also worked to stop articles like the Hollywood Reporter from coming out.

She is a member and two times president of the Costume Designers Guild, so she also has some clout in these circles.

Goodstyle

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Max Landis is an American Incubus. A demon that drains women of their life force by attacking their sexuality, and gets off on causing general pain and misery.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
You gotta ask the same questions about the people who looked away with Weinstein and the people who still defend Polanski all these years later.
Weinstein has been powerful for decades, and as a producer and head of both Miramax and the Weinstein Co. he could open doors (or at least make it seem like he could open doors) for his victims. But John Landis...like, who the hell is still taking direction from a comedy director from the 80s?

According to some of the accusers, it's not just John Landis but Max's mom Deborah Nadoolman also worked to stop articles like the Hollywood Reporter from coming out.

She is a member and two times president of the Costume Designers Guild, so she also has some clout in these circles.

Oh interesting.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Did WB approach him knowing he was a rapist and being like "Hey, you'd be perfect to write a Pepe Le Pew movie!"

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017
I always thought Max Landis was just an annoying little shit when I saw people retweet his Twitter posts, and that's all I really knew him from. The more I've learned about him in the years since just paints him as a bigger and bigger piece of shit.

OP
OP

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The Pepe Le Pew movie thing becomes specially disgusting when you consider he was actively doing shit like this:

Julie's romantic relationship with Landis lasted for two years. Like Samantha, she recalled being relentlessly pursued by Max. "He jokingly called me a 'paint cat' in reference to the ill-fated feline who tries desperately to escape the clutches of Pepe Le Pew," Julie wrote in her statement. "I was showered with affection, new friends, parties, and intense I-love-yous."

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus CHRIST

Dionne recalled Max's attorney approaching them. "She began speaking and her tone was condescending and aggressive, asking if Callie understood what the process would be like. She indicated it would be long and she would have to talk about the assault over and over. The attorney came off patronizing as she said things like, I will make you look like an idiot and this is not going to be easy on you. The attorney said she was going to make a fool of Callie, talking about how much she drinks and talking about the nature of her relationship to Max. She then asked again if this is how Callie wanted to handle 'this issue.' I could feel that Callie was overwhelmed. Callie sat there, tears running down her face, holding hands with her mother and with me. Callie said she did not want to go through with 'this process.'"

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
I have to say,

This isn't a great look for lots of Hollywood actors who have been friends with this piece of shit.

I mean, Elijah Wood has some splainin to do.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
Why? Who said they were friends, he starred in a TV show he produced but were they actually chummy?

He was also on several of his old skit style Youtube videos.

It's possible they just collaborated a few times, but the stench has been on Landis for a while.

And Landis didn't just produce Dirk Gently, he was a pretty hands-on shown runner.

SuperBanana

Oct 28, 2017
Yup. He's done. And nothing of value was last.

I have to say,

This isn't a great look for lots of Hollywood actors who have been friends with this piece of shit.

No, he really doesn't. Being friends or chummy with someone means absolutely nothing. Sexual predators aren't devils with horns and a forked tongue. They can seem like a great person to those around them. How would someone who's been in a few things with Max knows he does this stuff?

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616

It's possible they just collaborated a few times, but the stench has been on Landis for a while.

And Landis didn't just produce Dirk Gently, he was a pretty hands-on shown runner.
People saying things like his friends have explanations to make seem to lack the message that the women that came forward are saying: Landis is a psychopath, sociopath, rapist, manipulative asshole. Him getting away with this shit wasn't just money, it was his circle of friends, that some of these women were also part of. Even if Wood was his friend, I could see it him via manipulation that was throughly explained in the article. Here is an import Twitter thread about this:

I don't know how close Wood was of Landis, but it seems like this story times one thousand is exactly what he pulled it off, and how he got away until now. Thankfully, this isn't an open secret anymore.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
The length of that article and the fact that it only touches on a fraction of his abuses is, quite frankly, sickening. Dude deserves to rot in a jail cell.

Goodstyle

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Having read the article... I gotta say Max is a ridiculous tool. Having a list of women he's had sex with, listing their ethnicity, and ranking their performance? AND showing that to your current gf and ranking her low? He's an IRL Dennis Reynolds except somehow even more of a doofus.

Deleted member 16365

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't he get away with this kind of behavior before? I feel like I've seen this exact thread a year ago. Does he get to avoid being MeToo'd because of his family, similar to Chris Hardwick?

Haruko

Oct 25, 2017

A number of the women coming forward with stories about Max have been in his youtube videos before as well; he pulled the wool over a lot of people's eyes it seems

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't he get away with this kind of behavior before? I feel like I've seen this exact thread a year ago. Does he get to avoid being MeToo'd because of his family, similar to Chris Hardwick?
There were vague accusations a year ago but nothing this thorough with so many people on the record.

I have to say,

While I understand where you're coming from, I'd urge you to read the article if you haven't since it outlines how he manipulated and gaslit friends of his.

ZattMurdock

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Earth 616
There weren't any names of actual victims attached to the accusations and while most of us took it seriously, some claimed that it was "too vague" and bullshit like that. There was also the fact that The Hollywood Reporter had a story to run with some of these victims at time but killed the story. Some of these women belonged to his social circle of friends, some even getting courage to finally speak up after Ani Easton Barker, his last girlfriend that was also his girlfriend at the time of the first accusations came forward, was seen as a sign that he was "getting better".

It turns out he didn't and pulled the same shit on her as well. Ani coming forward motivated others to come forward, most of the victims posting under pseudonyms on he Daily Beast piece.

Sanjuro

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts

The Chris Hardwick situation seemed much more fluid, with actual attention and action taken.

This one appears attorneys were in the direct path of any significant traction.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Soft Power In Hollywood:

Lots of people in here wondering how a director of yore and a costume designer of note, could exert so much power. Firstly, it's not just them, it's their direct connections to guilds - and to other Hollywood royalty. They are friends with and have worked with the absolute pinnacle in the town.

Secondly - even Landis himself - perhaps especially Landis himself - has enough clout on his own terms - TV shows, movies, scripts and endless access - that creates an aura of influence, connection and possibility for people who are extremely vulnerable and frankly - desperate to make it.

Take every cliche about a waitress working three jobs praying she'll get the chance to land on a greasy casting couch - or a handsome bellhop who has written thirty spec scripts and delivered pizza to studios just to get within shouting distance of a recurring extra role. It's all true and worse than you think. Put away your own opinions about what those people mean to you, and consider instead the reality of their situation.

Hell, even successful people in Hollywood are always one cancellation or deadline or missed schedule away from the precipice. It is not a normal place. David Geffen took a job as a mailroom boy at the William Morris agency - a drudgery bottom of the barrel low-paying job he only got because he LIED and said he had graduated from Harvard. Because he was in the mailroom, he was able to intercept the letter from Harvard denying he ever attended. He replaced it with a fake that said he had.

Think about that. To get a mailroom job, you have to be a HARVARD GRADUATE. How do you think less impressive people make it except through luck, brutal effort and yes, sometimes extremely poor decisions in an extremely predatory environment. Swimming With Sharks does a KINDNESS to the underbelly of the place.