• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Excommunicating a guy after he calls you treasonous in a book may not have been a smart move!

https://www.thedailybeast.com/mueller-wasnt-interested-in-bannon-until-fire-and-fury-source-says/

Steve Bannon appears to have accidentally sicced Robert Mueller on himself.

The FBI visited Bannon's home on Jan. 9 to subpoena him, according to NBC News, and he is expected to talk with the special counsel's team by the end of the month.

A lawyer close to Mueller's investigation told The Daily Beast that before the release of Michael Wolff's book Fire and Fury, the special counsel's team indicated zero interest in questioning President Donald Trump's former chief strategist for their Russia probe. The team hadn't asked to interview him, the source said.

Bannon himself told Wolff that he didn't expect to hear from Mueller.

"I know no Russians, I don't know nothin' about nothin,'" he said. "I'm not being a witness. I'm not hiring a lawyer."

Bannon also told the author that he suspected Donald Trump Jr. introduced Kremlin-linked operatives to his father during their June 2016 Trump Tower meeting. And he said he thought the Mueller investigation was "all about money-laundering."

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
I don't really buy this, Mueller would be completely thorough in this investigation. It needs to be airtight.

This sounds like a gaslight to troll the Trump Admin

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
I don't really buy this, Mueller would be completely thorough in this investigation. It needs to be airtight.

This sounds like a gaslight to troll the Trump Admin

Bannon was brought into the campaign late (August), and many of his policy talks with the president likely could be considered privileged. To date he has not been said to have met with Sergei Kislyak or other officials in 2016. If there was a crime committed in spring or summer 2016 leading up to the DNC dump, he wouldn't have been the ringleader or necessarily in the chain of command. Him indicating on the record that he might know something that someone told him may have made him a person of interest. Him getting his walking papers from the entire right wing movement may have made him a potential asset.

OP
OP
Kirblar

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bannon was brought into the campaign late (August), and many of his policy talks with the president likely could be considered privileged. To date he has not been said to have met with Sergei Kislyak or other officials in 2016. If there was a crime committed in spring or summer 2016 leading up to the DNC dump, he wouldn't have been the ringleader or necessarily in the chain of command. Him indicating on the record that he might know something that someone told him may have made him a person of interest. Him getting his walking papers from the entire right wing movement may have made him a potential asset.
One of the interesting patterns that's suddenly popped up is that some of the true believers are totally not in on what was going on at the CEO level. (i.e., they're blind as to who's paying the bills) One of the people in that Chelsea Manning photo just blew up all the spin she and some of the other alt-righters were trying to put on the situation, a narrative being pushed by RT.

I'm very curious how a guy like Bannon reacts to learning he's the political version of a certain character from Sicario.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
One of the interesting patterns that's suddenly popped up is that some of the true believers are totally not in on what was going on at the CEO level. (i.e., they're blind as to who's paying the bills) One of the people in that Chelsea Manning photo just blew up all the spin she and some of the other alt-righters were trying to put on the situation, a narrative being pushed by RT.

I'm very curious how a guy like Bannon reacts to learning he's the political version of a certain character from Sicario.

Link? Sounds juicy.

Cheerilee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really? Seems like the chief strategist would be a must for the investigation...
That's Paul Manafort, and he has plenty of Mueller's interest.

Steve Bannon came into the picture after Paul Manafort, and while Bannon may be a hateful pile of slime, there was probably no evidence pointing towards him being involved in the Russia stuff, because, as the book points out, when he found out about it, he didn't like it (privately called them traitors). Bannon refused to get his hands dirty on this matter = Cops walk right past him, thinking he's not involved.

But then, the book points out that Bannon found out about it.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I can see Bannon being low on the list, dude is a true believer. I could see him not being in on the Russia stuff, but other illegal stuff

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
That's Paul Manafort, and he has plenty of Mueller's interest.

Steve Bannon came into the picture after Paul Manafort, and while Bannon may be a hateful pile of slime, there was probably no evidence pointing towards him being involved in the Russia stuff, because, as the book points out, when he found out about it, he didn't like it (privately called them traitors). Bannon refused to get his hands dirty on this matter = Cops walk right past him, thinking he's not involved.

But then, the book points out that Bannon found out about it.

When put it that way, it makes sense.

Pretty funny if he ends up incriminating himself.

UCBooties

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Pennsylvania, USA
I don't mean to trivialize the damage they are doing or the potential magnitude of their crimes but this whole saga has convinced me that no one is more eager to do a belly-flop on a bear trap than prominent members of the alt-right. Their internecine back-biting and constant squabbling make it a round robin of shooting themselves in the foot.

Beartruck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't mean to trivialize the damage they are doing or the potential magnitude of their crimes but this whole saga has convinced me that no one is more eager to do a belly-flop on a bear trap than prominent members of the alt-right. Their internecine back-biting and constant squabbling make it a round robin of shooting themselves in the foot.
The problem with a movement that has anti-intellectualism as a core tenet is that it's a two way street.

rambis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't buy this at all.
I can. Looking at all the targets Kushner, Trump Jr, Trump Sr, Flynn, Manafort and Page all had shady business dealings internationally priorly. Bannon was hustling his way up the media circuit before he ultimately got Breitbart.

If you think about Bannon's role in the campaign and his life before it gets less likely he was in on any of the Russia stuff. He was the domestic policy guy and the one to bring the alt-right.