• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017

Probably not worth making a thread over it I just thought how insane this shit was, can lootboxes get any worse?

Chessguy1

Oct 25, 2017
what if somebody unboxes something really rare while you are watching

that will be an amazing memory

Vadara

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People on this forum seem to be, like, utterly unaware that a weirdly huge amount of people like watching others open loot boxes. There are entire streams and youtubers who do nothing but that shit, as baffling as it may seem.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
This is kind of things you would normally see in Free-To- Play mobile games (ex : Watch ads to get rewards).

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reviewers really need to crack down on these predatory scam games and start hurting the scores. Since they have some influence over people they have an obligation to protect and warn the consumer and they need to do more than little side blurbs in their 17 paragraph reviews. A 6/10 will do more damage to these publishers than a cop-out "well I didn't feel like I have to buy anything" will. All that does is enable pubs to keep pushing the envelope.

Can lootboxes get worse? They can and will.

They don't even get worse on a yearly basis they get worse on a game by game basis now. The BS on forza and NBA 2k feels like half a year ago already and it was just a month ago.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
Well I do like to share pictures of my good pulls from Gatcha games so I guess this is the next logical step.

Oct 29, 2017
People on this forum seem to be, like, utterly unaware that a weirdly huge amount of people like watching others open loot boxes. There are entire streams and youtubers who do nothing but that shit, as baffling as it may seem.
Yep. Watching people open loot boxes is a big deal online. CoD is smart for making it an in game achievement actually. But rabble rabble. Absolutely Disgusting img. Etc

Rainrir

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FORCEDTOWATCH.GIF

EA is really trying to induce loot envy so people can spend.

Yokijirou

Oct 27, 2017
Not defending this but yotubers/stream peoples often drop say 49.99 in overwatch for the crates and make videos just based on seeing what's in them.

People eat it up.

Source

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Loot boxes are a fad just like any other, give or take 10 years and they'll be gone but for now, deal with it.

Oct 25, 2017
You can say "people like doing it" put people also like watching people win on slot machines, and the loud noises/flashing lights of a winning slot machine is extremely effective in a.) giving nearby people a rush of dopamine and b.) getting people nearby to also gamble.

That's what this is. By incentivising you watching other people winning, they make it more likely that you yourself will gamble at some later point. Pretty predatory.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
aren't these opened in the social hub space in game? sounds dumb but not particularly egregious.

Mugman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
video games are bad actually

I say that as someone that's bought way more Overwatch lootboxes than I care to admit.

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
" don't worry grunts, we will matchmake you with other soldiers who have a tendacy to open 'supply drops' so you can, you know, fulfill your daily quota"...

Loxley

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
As others have said, this is just Sledgehammer getting in on the phenomenon of people watching loot box/crate opening videos on YouTube. If anything I think it's actually kind of - deviously - smart.

SuperBanana

Oct 28, 2017
Activisions classic style of quickly trying to squeeze out as much money from a series as they can before it dies.

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Wait, I thought supply drops were those crates dropped in on killstreaks? Is there seriously a spectating method in the game to watch other players open loot boxes? Da fuck...

Oct 27, 2017
Watch people opening a lootbox to make us feal jealous and buy one to satisfy ourselves?
Pretty good tactic if it's really their intention for adding that as a daily mission

Nowise10

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't this referring to the new beach social space where you call down your earned lootboxes? So just watching someone call one down?

Not sure why this is a big deal to some people.

tiredwarmdiplodocus

Zebei

Oct 25, 2017
Not only are they making you want to buy because you see others buy, you are incentivised to watvh people buy.

This is far beyond mad-genius tier. Smart thinking . . .but i cant say i like it.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Just go afk in HQ. I imagine you can just do that and have it spot some people doing it. I don't really plan on watching them actively but I know I go afk at the menu a lot so I can easily just do that.

potam

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You mean the system where they come out with limited-edition costumes to encourage people to spend tons of money in desperate hopes to get them?

I spent $0 this event and got: Zenyatta, McCree, Reaper, and Sym's skins. Plus they'll be available for cheaper next year.

Luminaire

Oct 25, 2017
The reward should be more lootboxes.You should also get rewarded for having people watch you open lootboxes. It shall be an endless cycle.

17 Seconds

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
haha i love it. "you idiots obviously love this shit, so check this shit out, you morons". no shame at all.