• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Maximo

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
I spent $0 this event and got: Zenyatta, McCree, Reaper, and Sym's skins. Plus they'll be available for cheaper next year.

Don't worry about it you just have to watch everyone else use them for a whole year.....

latest

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR
People like a thing. A company logically puts said thing in their game. I don't see the problem. It's giving ppl free exp for doing stuff they already enjoy doing.
The only reason this exists is to entice people with latent gambling tendencies and children to spend money on loot crates of their own. The entire reason people watch others opening crates on Twitch is because of the inherent thrill of the gamble.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
The only reason this exists is to entice people with latent gambling tendencies and children to spend money on loot crates of their own. The entire reason people watch others opening crates on Twitch is because of the inherent thrill of the gamble.

Right. The fact people do not seem to realize WHY loot box openings are popular is pretty amazing.

Oct 29, 2017
If children want to spend their money on loot boxes I say let them. If it's their parents money I say the parents deserve to get fleeced for their cash if they allow the kid to have their card info without doing some investigation.

What if watching others open lootboxes satisfies these latent gamblers like those videos do and they keep their money instead of buying boxes of their own.

Mechanized

Oct 27, 2017
It's psychology at play. People watch this shit on youtube, why not in the game itself? You get an actual benefit from it in game as well, the more people that watch you the better your odds at getting good stuff. It's devious. Gambling has been doing it since day one. My actual real concerns here are the age of the people this psychology is going to impact, the minors who are just given this Mature rated game with no followup or investigation by their parents. This could create a generation of addicts, then again you could say smart phone games are way ahead of things on this front, and those games are all ages AND free.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You thought publishers would stop at simply making buttloads of cash? Lmao

In the games industry EVERY slope is slippery

That's the real frustrating thing: No one ever learns. I remember people laughing off horse armor with "it's no big deal it's just armor" and "they're not making you buy it". These excuses get used for literally everything the game industry does, and it just keeps getting worse every time because half of us will defend it with their shortsightedness. 6 months from now some new game will try something that's worse than COD or Forza or the 2K games and we'll hear the same defenses yet again, because those people will have already forgotten they said it 6 months earlier with these current games.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
This is ridiculous ... but I gotta say that their lootbox animations are pretty good. I just watched that GIF loop at least three times and I'm not even getting in-game rewards for my trouble.

Oct 25, 2017
If children want to spend their money on loot boxes I say let them. If it's their parents money I say the parents deserve to get fleeced for their cash if they allow the kid to have their card info without doing some investigation.

What if watching others open lootboxes satisfies these latent gamblers like those videos do and they keep their money instead of buying boxes of their own
It doesn't man. I'm trying to find a study I read about this but all it does is make people want to gamble more and more, even if they don't consciously think about it. That logic (i'll just watch, not play) is out of step with how your brain works when you see someone win big.

RE: the kids- what happens then when they become addicted to gambling at like 10, before their squishy brains even get a chance to form some kind of resistance to it?

A lot of this gambling psychology stuff is pretty well researched and pretty horrific if you read into it.

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You mean the system where they come out with limited-edition costumes to encourage people to spend tons of money in desperate hopes to get them?
limited what now? All of the events repeat, people can just wait. And if they do, it's pretty easy to get the ones from the previous year since they are pretty cheap with the in-game currency.

KamiCrit

Oct 27, 2017
Western Canada
Gaming to gambling, used to be games with a stroke of chance. Now it's chance with a stroke of gaming.

They say the most valuable commodity is your attention. Spend it wisely!

Spine_Ripper

Oct 25, 2017
This is so ridiculous that I honestly can't even be mad. This is just funny because of how forward it is. R.I.P. Timmy's mom's wallet.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I spent $0 this event and got: Zenyatta, McCree, Reaper, and Sym's skins. Plus they'll be available for cheaper next year.

Good for you, meanwhile i only got the rare Zenyatta skin

The "Skins only available for three weeks!" system in OW is horseshit

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
limited what now? All of the events repeat, people can just wait. And if they do, it's pretty easy to get the ones from the previous year since they are pretty cheap with the in-game currency.

At one point, the Overwatch lootbox system WAS predatory for the time.

Blizzard has since then improved it. Of course given modern trends, even the original system would be pretty tame these days.

potatohead

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Earthbound
People like a thing. A company logically puts said thing in their game. I don't see the problem. It's giving ppl free exp for doing stuff they already enjoy doing.
How to oversimplify things 101.

This is just like saying "low taxes, no regulation!" repeating such things ad hominem if they really mean anything beyond surface interpretations of massive economic engines.

potam

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Good for you, meanwhile i only got the rare Zenyatta skin

The "Skins only available for three weeks!" system in OW is horseshit

It's annoying, yeah, but I'd rather not look this gifthorse in the mouth.

edit: to be fair, I understand that the limited edition skins suck. There are skins I want but weren't able to get. And I understand that the reasoning behind this is to drive sales. However, I still stand by my opinion that their system is unobtrusive and hasn't negatively affected my experience.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Does the game have emotes? Whats the point of watching people unbox lootboxes if I cant laugh at them when they get shit drops

ZiT

Oct 27, 2017
Game Publishers push the loot crates bs so much in such a short period of time is really something.

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
As much as I find myself viscerally aggravated by this turns of events, looking at it from a marketing standpoint...

34bde2c7eac4b12fec8ebfad5b806f0f5c12f2f7493fd40ca2e01f5d6c84901e.jpg

FRV

Oct 27, 2017
I'm fine with Loot boxes, but this is something else. Shoving gambling right into peoples faces, when they just wanna do a daily for points.

It's quite smart from a marketing standpoint though, I gotta give them that.

Last edited:

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
At least watching people open loot boxes is less harmful than wasting money on them.

Activision, lookin' out for the kids.

Stitch AU

Oct 29, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
Did that last night. Cant remember if i got xp and a loot crate for it, not seeing a problem though. Theres quite a few missions to choose and everyine started out with 1 lootcrate to open.

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
I'm fine with Loot boxes, but this is something else. Shoving gambling right into peoples faces, when they just wanna do a daily for points.

It's quite smart from a marketing standpoint though, I gotta give them that.

But that's literally the point of lootboxes. They put something you might want in the lootbox trying to entice you to roll for it over and over again so I don't see how you can be ok with lootboxes if this concerns you.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
At least watching people open loot boxes is less harmful than wasting money on them.

Activision, lookin' out for the kids.
Don't you see the end goal of this system?

When people see others getting nice loots from the boxes, what will they do next?

Yes, buy the loot boxes themselves so they can also get those nice loots.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
Youtubers who make lootbox videos are being paid per view. Some random person that buys lootboxes isn't getting paid for the advertising. That's why this is bullshit.

Seriously, $60 base game, $60 worth of post launch dlc, lootboxes that include cosmetics AND new guns, and now this predatory shit. I'm done with call of duty. This is the worst implementation of gaas I've ever seen.

To top it all off, it's all going to reset next year when the next cod game comes out. Activision is incredibly greedy. I can't think of another developer/publisher that has come anywhere close to stooping this low

orthodoxy1095

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
People on this forum seem to be, like, utterly unaware that a weirdly huge amount of people like watching others open loot boxes. There are entire streams and youtubers who do nothing but that shit, as baffling as it may seem.
I don't enjoy those streams, but there does seem to be something different. I can't really imagine deriving any pleasure from seeing some rando unbox loot in a public lobby. But I could see a situation where someone might find some comedic value from some streamer unbox stuff and make commentary about all the junk they're getting.

One is like blatant advertising, the other is a weird kind of pseudo-voluntary advertisement where you're choosing to watch microtransaction purchases.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
I don't enjoy those streams, but there does seem to be something different. I can't really imagine deriving any pleasure from seeing some rando unbox loot in a public lobby. But I could see a situation where someone might find some comedic value from some streamer unbox stuff and make commentary about all the junk they're getting.

One is like blatant advertising, the other is a weird kind of pseudo-voluntary advertisement where you're choosing to watch microtransaction purchases.

I watched Jeff Gerstmann drop $50 on Overwatch lootboxes during a UPF and thought it was pretty damned funny.

FRV

Oct 27, 2017
But that's literally the point of lootboxes. They put something you might want in the lootbox trying to entice you to roll for it over and over again so I don't see how you can be ok with lootboxes if this concerns you.

I don't care if someone opens a loot box in private. Opening loot boxes in public exist just to promote more gambling and loot boxes.

If someone wanna do this daily, they are basically forced to watch gambling.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
I watched Jeff Gerstmann drop $50 on Overwatch lootboxes during a UPF and thought it was pretty damned funny.
Jeffs getting paid to do that though. Not only is it his job to make fun content like that, but it brings more clicks and $$$.

If you drop $50 on WW2 loot boxes and have people watch you, you won't get anything aside from (appearantly) better drop rates.

It's getting to the point where you're paying activision for the "privilege" of suckering other people in to buy lootboxes.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
Jeffs getting paid to do that though. Not only is it his job to make fun content like that, but it brings more clicks and $$$.

If you drop $50 on WW2 loot boxes and have people watch you, you won't get anything aside from (appearantly) better drop rates.

It's getting to the point where you're paying activision for the privilege of suckering other people in to buy lootboxes.

Oh, I agree. I'm just saying there is merit to watching streamers/personalities open loot boxes, which some people ITT are baffled by.

GB does it with DotA as well and those videos are always super popular.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't care if someone opens a loot box in private. Opening loot boxes in public exist just to promote more gambling and loot boxes.

If someone wanna do this quest they are basicly forced to watch gambling.

i guess. but it's not as if other games don't show you what people get regardless of whether or not you want to. like destiny 2.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
i guess. but it's not as if other games don't show you what people get regardless of whether or not you want to. like destiny 2.
This is worse. It's a $60 game, with $60 worth of dlc, loot boxes, and a sequel coming out next year.

Now, on top of all of that, you're encouraged to watch other people open loot boxes, and encouraged to have other people watch you open loot boxes. But you're not getting paid to do this, you're just being rewarded with MORE lootboxes (only 1 at a time though, more costs extra) and better drop rates, encouraging you to keep the cycle going.

It's gross