• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kalmakov

user requested ban
Banned
Sep 10, 2019
Source: https://jiyunajp.wordpress.com/2019...-the-field-of-players-who-can-enjoy-the-game/

Xrd may not be done getting new content it seems.

4Gamer: Regarding the idea that a Fighting Game should feature a large cast, do you plan on adding classic characters to Strive that were not featured in GUILTY GEAR Xrd Rev 2?
Ishiwatari: I said the same thing during Rev 2, but if we can sell enough we will put every character in the game (laughs). Furthermore, GUILTY GEAR Strive is a separate title from Rev 2, so I still have not thought about whether or not Rev 2 is finished. There is still a possibility that more classic characters may be added to Rev 2 in the future.

KoolAid

Oct 25, 2017
"We have a product for those that are not happy with Strive, it's called Xrd"

eraFROMAN

One Winged Slayer
Mar 12, 2019
Strive is clearly IV, Xrd is III, y'all gotta be done with something

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds very "3rd Pillar"-ish.

I'd imagine if Strive does half decently then Xrd is done.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like some "the nintendo ds is the third pillar" shit

If Strive is popular, this will be abandoned faster than you can blink.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That'd be weird as hell. It would be like adding more stuff to SFIV after SFV comes out.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Guilty Gear AC :
December 20, 2006

Guilty Gear AC +R :
September 20th, 2012

Yeah I know not the same scenario

TRUE ORDER

Oct 30, 2017
This is kinda weird to be honest, don't know if the team would be on their 100% working on both titles.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
This...isn't that abnormal when it comes to fighting games really. Cacpcom has done it before and it's not even the first time GG has had gitters about moving on.

Deleted member 10551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They're just covering their asses in case the Guilty Gear community decides to keep playing Xrd. I'm sure they would rather cut off Xrd support and move on to Strive.

This is exactly what is going to happen. This is HDR all over again, and I called it as soon as the game came out.

I understand why Arcsys is going the direction they are going- the path they are on now, they're not going to get new players much- give new players a choice, they're going to take the easier franchise to learn. The older players aren't going to go along for that ride though, and they're willing to reject games they don't like entirely- they like GG because their legacy knowledge is worth as much as it is.

The only thing I've seen universally praised in this has been graphics and character design.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Brutal.

The new game aims to make things enjoyable for players of all skill levels. It was clear that some of the classic inputs, mechanics, and move sets were a bit too difficult, so a lot of work is being done to make things more streamlined. But at the same time, long-time fans will be happy to hear that some of the challenging aspects will still be left intact, like the online modes which will surely be outdated and inadequate.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
What the hell is the point of this? Just move on and put all your energy into Strive.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo, Brazil
This is bizarre. I feel for them, but they brought this on themselves. A franchise like Guilty Gear has no place pulling fan-alienating moves to chase new audiences. Not even Street Fighter can do that.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Daisuke Ishiwatari giving Shimbori some competition for worst interviews.

Straight up gutting mechanics because allowing players more options/combo paths is bad.

No one should even think about being hopeful for more Xrd. Game is done. If they had any desire to not bury it they wouldn't have thrown it out of the Arc Revo tour alongside CF.

It really sucks. One more big update for Xrd or a follow up game to Xrd build on the foundation of Xrd was all that was needed. The story is pretty much done all that is really left is dealing with the Universal Will, the inevitable Sol vs Asuka R. Kreutz showdown and what I-No does with the knowledge of her origin. After that they would have had an easier time rebooting GG however they want as old GG was alteast allowed to go out with a bang with a great game to finish its story.

A new GG that isn't being dumbed down would have also still had the visibility boost Arc Sys has gotten recently and likely sold more just based on that alone.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Guilty gear strive is the next logical step after how dumbed down Xrd was from AC :D

Cactuar

Banned
Nov 30, 2018
You guys know Strive is not coming out for a year right? He's talking about the possibility of adding someone to Xrd over the course of that long year wait for Strive. News flash: Once Strive is out, they are done with Xrd. (News flash No. 2: I think they're already done).

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
For a niche game with a small but dedicated audience, shunning what's basically could be your safety net audience like that for imaginary "casual players that pick games based on their mechanics" is ridiculously out of touch with what both casuals and dedicated fans want from your game. Add to this their complete disconnect with rollback netcode demands...

Everything in Xrd could have been simplified, even more so than what Strive is doing, without completely dropping mechanics the series had from day 1.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, look at XX. There was GG2 (the moba style thing) and other GG games that came out and they went back to XX with AC and AC+R. They could still have Strive be 4 and go back and do a Rev 3+R#ReLoaded -final- or something.

Personally I think they are done with Xrd until there is a need for a next gen port where they might add a character or 2 like how XX got AC and all that.