• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
These losers are just making Daisy's comments all the more obviously true:
unknown.png

The usual suspects, right on cue. Just need to wait for Grace Randolph and RedLetterMedia to weigh in, maybe with a cute "Scientist Man Debunks Star Wars Sexism" video or something.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
People didn't like (hated) the childish humor in The Phantom Menace, the face of that humor was Jar Jar Binks, for them, he ruined Star Wars.

For what it's worth now, and it was pointed out to the actor when it was actually happening, the kids who grew up with TPM and Jar Jar love the two a lot more than the more grown up fans do and that's what he loves:

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
That was not my intent, and I apologize if that's the impression give.

I was mostly lamenting that this is a necessity of what actors deal with in Hollywood, and the best way to cope with it was to not internalize it or take it personally.

Considering how many people responded negatively to my post, I clearly didn't put enough thought into it, and in hindsight it comes across as dismissive and disrespectful to what she's dealing with. Again, not my intent.

My responses were about my own experiences as well in handling negative feedback to my creative works. I get them every single day, and by necessity I have to never take it personally, otherwise I'd be perpetually depressed and have a nervous breakdown. The healthiest means forward I've been told and have found to be to value my own worth and to ignore unjustified, unsolicited, unwarranted criticism, but to also push back against actual hatred and intolerance as it arises.

My initial post clearly did not appropriately demonstrate this sentiment, and I apologize.
But can you imagine being a woman who is the face of a multibillion earning franchise with a toxic/sexist fanbase? She has to put up with shit that you or I will never be able to understand.

Joeytj

Oct 30, 2017
"I was at my friend's birthday," she recalls, "and one of her friends, who I barely know, was like, 'Hey, really liked the first Star Wars. Didn't really like the second one,' and I thought, 'That's rude, dude! That's my job!'"

Is it her job to write the characters and plot?
I didn't like the second movie but I really liked her performance. Why is that rude?

It's rude because it's her job also, and it was her first time meeting that person. She's a person first and actress second. Or third.

Nobody who I just met goes up to me and says "oh you work in media? I hate the media." It's common courtesy. And dumb of that person to make that first impression on Daisy Ridley.

I've met some famous person or two, and I'm not dumb enough to shit on their work.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
It's rude because it's her job also, and it was her first time meeting that person. She's a person first and actress second. Or third.

Nobody who I just met goes up to me and says "oh you work in media? I hate the media." It's common courtesy. And dumb of that person to make that first impression on Daisy Ridley.
this shit shouldn't even need explanation.

Oct 29, 2017
Wow. It really says it all that so many folks in this thread don't see the problem with approaching a stranger at a party to give them a negative opinion of their work, apropos of nothing.

Oct 25, 2017
Her story and the people in this thread helped me realize I am not actually socially inept.

Telling someone you just met that their worked sucks is incredibly rude.

Conciliator

Oct 25, 2017
Celebrity culture is a mess in our world. We have to remember that celebrities, big movie stars, etc.. are deep down just other human beings. Maybe they got lucky, maybe they're especially talented, probably some combination of the two, but they're ultimately just other human beings. They don't deserve to be worshiped, and they usually don't deserve to be the target of the ire of a million people. Definitely not for being in a movie you didn't like. They're not magic, they're just other people who happen to have a cool job.

One of the problems I think is people make how they feel about X celebrity or X franchise part of their core identity and self-expression, and then these celebrities become something both more and less than human beings. Tokens of identity and mass culture for thousands, and at the same time not worthy of common human courtesy.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
But can you imagine being a woman who is the face of a multibillion earning franchise with a toxic/sexist fanbase? She has to put up with shit that you or I will never be able to understand.
Oh, I agree. It's something I will never experience, and it's frustrating to see it pervasively happen every time we get a strong female lead in a major film. The same idiots go after Brie Larson, or attack the cast of the female-led Ghostbusters, or whine about the female leads in Mad Max Fury Road.

It's insufferable, and none of these brilliant women deserve to have to deal with any of it.

It remains me of all the blatant, hateful racism John Boyega dealt with as well (and still does). Star Wars has a history of harassment towards its actors that is beyond excusable. Some of them were just KIDS.

It's not new or surprising, but it is not acceptable either.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
It's troubling when people cannot differentiate between speaking to a real person who has feelings and emotions and mashing buttons in the YT comment section

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I am not saying they are equal? Obviously they aren't. It's just an example about how awful things have gotten towards creatives and how people have got to be careful about fan entitlement anger as it can lead to truly awful things like death threats.
Considering the motives of the arsonist are still unknown it feels a bit unnecessary to reference. Events are literally still unfolding

Eggiem

Oct 27, 2017

I've met some famous person or two, and I'm not dumb enough to shit on their work.
I would only say positive stuff too. But if someone approaches me and would say stuff like that (I like movie A, movie B not so much) I wouldn't think they are rude. But that's just me I guess.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Era really showing off who has no social skills up in here. Yes, that statement is rude as hell.

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
I always find it funny when people are so stupid they harass actors or actresses for a movie or show they were in when if they were going to harass anyone (and there is a big difference between voicing your displeasure/providing constructive feedback and harassing someone) it should be the writers, producers and director. Daisy Ridley probably has minimal say in what happens in the Star Wars movies but since actors are the people who get the most limelight they're going to get the most harassment as well.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's embarassing. Unfortutaetly I've heard people echoing Brei Larson hate after I was made aware of the videos that popped up against her. It's amazing what the internet echo chamber can do to people.

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
Um, is this getting personal? I'm not sure why you're saying I feel that way. I'm pretty indifferent to Star Wars in general, even.

I love Daisy Ridley. I loved The Force Awakens. The Last Jedi is not my cup of tea, but I respect it and the people who made it. Star Wars wasn't "ruined" because Star Wars was always a silly series of space wizards and goofy aliens with some real weird stuff even in the original beloved trilogy.

So let me be clear: Daisy Ridley does not deserve harassment. She's a great person and a great actor. Leave her alone. If someone wants to be a bigot because she's a woman, they're not worth even listening to and they're losers who need to find something better to do.

I can be more clear if you want me to be.

To be fair that's not at all where you started out itt

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Much love to Ahmed Best
The.unchecked hate for Episode 1 really cultivated a culture of entitlement in fanbases

If.you consider bashing the actors and bashing everyone involved in the prequels was fashionable and even mainstream for a good decade you can see why some."fans" think they can say whatever they want

May 13, 2019
To be fair, schizophrenia is genetically predisposed. There's no guarantee he wouldn't have been institutionalized had he not been in The Phantom Menace. I also heard that he had been released sometime in 2017. Hope he's doing fine.
Reading about it, it seems that stress and trauma can help in the development if one already has a genetic predisposition to the disease.

Ergo, the harrassment and bullying weren't directly responsible for his institutionalization but sure accelerated the process.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
I work for a telco, imagine if I was offendes every time someone didn't like my company or a product.

I agree about fans entitlement culture and social media toxicity but that doesn't seem to apply at all in this case. Would it be rude if I told Kit Harrington that I didn't like season 8 at all?

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
I see nothing wrong with saying "i didnt like the second Star Wars".

But if its the first thing saying meeting her for the first time its indeed rude.

That said i find her "thats my job" comment still weird. Its not like she was the only part of the movie or was specifically called out.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Someone you just met telling you they didn't like a project you worked on is rude. Are people actually this fucking clueless? Is this how you would engage someone at a party you didn't know?

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
What do they honestly expect them to say when fans come up saying that they didn't like a movie they were in? Could you imagine panels where an unmoderated Q&A session resulted in fans saying "you're great, but I didn't like such and such". It's rude and awkward as fuck.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It would be weird social behavior sure but I still don't see how this is related to social media toxicity, just my humble opinion.

It's about the equivalent of someone replying with "I hated The Last Jedi" to a completely non-related Rian Johnson tweet. It's random, irrelevant to the conversation at hand, and the only thing you added was that you're a dick.

disparate

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Regarding the comment the guy made at the party, it's something I myself am familiar with- i.e. working as a developer and people unprompted saying good and bad things about the apps/projects/etc that I've been a part of, "I loved the site/app, but the past few updates made it way worse".

But... it's never really bothered me whether or not people randomly tell me that they don't like companies or projects I'm a part of because it's just work- I do it to cash cheques. Obviously Ridley seems more invested in her work but not everyone is, or cares.

Slythe

Oct 26, 2017
If you strike up a conversation with Daisy Ridley at a party and the only thing you can think to say is "I didn't like you most recent movie", you're a dweeb.

What an awesome opportunity to talk to an interesting person absolutely squandered.

Amiablepercy

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
California
Enthusiast culture is home to some of the most petulant and entitled people I've ever met/witnessed/interacted with. Sometimes it is hard to even wrap my mind around how people act the obnoxious way they do offline, online and even more so when they have made everything private and acting as anonymous as possible. Many users here on Resetera could be described as being part of this group especially when something doesn't meet their set expectations or they aren't catered too. It just is what it is though. People can SAY anything they want. The disturbing thing is when people start acting aggressively this way offline.