• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Future Gazer

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Not even slightly?

So you don't think there is an alarming rise in fans/audience members feeling emboldened to the point of confronting what are in actuality strangers to criticise their work? There's a gap between telling someone you didn't like their movie VS murder, yes, but there is a link between the two regarding audience members taking their criticism of works way too far. Granted we don't know enough about the event in Kyoto, but we can take a fairly decent stab at the reason from what we do know.

Fans have no right to cross those boundaries. By validating it (like some in this thread are doing by saying it's not rude), it's being enabled. And will only get worse.

Yes, not even slightly. As of yet it's completely unclear what the motives behind the Kyoani tragedy are. Don't fucking bring it up and try to bend the narrative to demonize some dude who made an innocuous comment at a party.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Why are people doubling down on trying to justify it being okay?

It's not okay to insult a piece of art someone created, or was a part of, in a casual setting that is not conducive to criticism. And trying to say, "but he said something nice first", doesn't make it any better and can in fact be worse. You started with a compliment and ended with an insult. It's like pulling the football out from Charlie Brown as he is about to kick it. Making someone feel good only to end on making them feel bad, is not good.

And this doesn't have be as shitty as whatever other example you want to compare it to. Something can be bad on its own.

Future Gazer

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Yes, that's a really important hair to split when talking about the movie she starred in, and of course this could be the only possible example of what we're talking about. Ever.

It's not splitting hairs at all, it's an important distinction. Calling her performance bad would be insulting and making it personal. Calling a movie that she starred in bad is neither of those things.

Bradbury

Oct 28, 2017
It's not splitting hairs at all, it's an important distinction. Calling her performance bad would be insulting and making it personal. Calling a movie that she starred in bad is neither of those things.
I worked in movies, small ones, but you become a family, you spent weeks, months and in the case of something like Star Wars years, giving everything you can to make the best movie you can.
And then an asshole in a party comes to you and says you movie is bad.
Yes it´s insulting and personal

OP
OP

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Going up to a stranger at a private birthday party to tell them they didn't like their movie IS insulting and personal. How do you not see this?

You know how we know? The fact she took time in an interview to bring it up to call the person rude and used them as an example of vicious fan behavior.

She clearly found it insulting given what she said.

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado

No it's just stupid nitpicking so you can be dismissive about the fact that what this guy did is a total dick move, but hey if that's what gets your motor running...

Addi

Oct 25, 2017
I love how people immediatly put themselves in the shoes of the dude at the party and not Daisy's.

teacup

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Resetera needs to make toxic fan entitlement bannable.

Reven Wolf

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
"no no no, you're not bad! It's just the movie that you and all your friends put time, effort, and passion into is terrible!"

It is absolutely rude.

I worked in movies, small ones, but you become a family, you spent weeks, months and in the case of something like Star Wars years, giving everything you can to make the best movie you can.
And then an asshole in a party comes to you and says you movie is bad.
Yes it´s insulting and personal
Seriously this isn't some huge leap in logic.

Resetera needs to make toxic fan entitlement bannable.
I wish.

bunbun777

Oct 29, 2017
Nw
So a friend of a friend mentions not liking the 2nd movie and she is bothered and considers it a hurtful opinion? Unless the friend gave an unsolicited critique of daisy's performance specifically what does she care?

OP
OP

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So a friend of a friend mentions not liking the 2nd movie and she is bothered and considers it a hurtful opinion? Unless the friend gave an unsolicited critique of daisy's performance specifically what does she care?
Because its her movie she spent years of her life helping to make and she is trying to enjoy a birthday party. You don't go up to strangers at parties and criticize stuff they worked on.

Oct 31, 2017

Do you know the guy who played Jar Jar Binks almost committed suicide?

I can imagine years of people giving unsolicited negative opinions aimed directly at a person and their work would be hurtful.

bunbun777

Oct 29, 2017
Nw
Because its her movie she spent years of her life helping to make and she is trying to enjoy a birthday party. You don't go up to strangers at parties and criticize stuff they worked on.
It just seems so trivial. As far as I could discern he wasn't even critical just voiced that he didn't like the second movie. I doubt the record scratched and everyone stopped having fun, I have nothing against her and one person's opinion doesn't invalidate her experiences or worth. So it's a bit uncomfortable? Have a drink and continue on.

Do you know the guy who played Jar Jar Binks almost committed suicide?

I can imagine years of people giving unsolicited negative opinions aimed directly at a person and their work would be hurtful.

Yea I'm aware. Which is what I said, he didn't specifically tell her anything other than dissatisfaction with the overall movie. If he started telling her why she sucked then heck yes that is over the line imo.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
It just seems so trivial. As far as I could discern he wasn't even critical just voiced that he didn't like the second movie. I doubt the record scratched and everyone stopped having fun, I have nothing against her and one person's opinion doesn't invalidate her experiences or worth. So it's a bit uncomfortable? Have a drink and continue on.
Daisy Ridley has died from alcohol poisoning for taking the great advice of having a drink each time some weirdo says a rude and uncomfortable comment.

Resilient

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, not even slightly. As of yet it's completely unclear what the motives behind the Kyoani tragedy are. Don't fucking bring it up and try to bend the narrative to demonize some dude who made an innocuous comment at a party.

How am I bending the narrative? And how is the comment innocuous? Listen - you might think it's innocuous and harmless, but it isn't. It's rude and offensive, and flat out a stupid thing to say. And it's a byproduct of exactly what she is talking about in her interview - people feeling big enough to do stupid shit like that, and then people like you saying "what's the big deal".

The big deal is, you let it keep going unchecked and it becomes something worse, which is potentially what has happened with KyoAni. I mean really - a guy doesn't burn a studio down and murder 30+ people unless they have some grudge with the company. It may be speculation but it isn't a huge reach and is in no way an attempt to bend some narrative. I'm just calling it for what it is, and you keep trying to hand wave it. Who is worse?

EdibleKnife

Oct 29, 2017
You do know what a trend is right? You do know that this isn't simply about that one interaction but multiple on multiple day after day and week after week on and off social media? You yourself have pet peeves of human behavior that in the grand scheme probably don't mean much. But the context would be entirely different if people constantly and consistently push that button nearly everywhere you go.

Last edited:

Rune Walsh

Too many boners
Oct 25, 2017
Regardless of how you feel about the films, it's not the onus of the actors to please the fan base. If you don't like a thing, good for you; watch something else. No cast of actors could have made the prequels decent with the material they were handed and I think the cast was pretty damn great. I think the current cast is fantastic, but I hated Rian Johnson's vision for his film. I'll move on to find something I do like instead. I don't need to yell at him or Daisy RIdley and demand, 'tHeY MaKe gOoD StAr wArS!

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
Lol why would you go out of your way to tell someone their movie sucked. Like, I can see it coming from a close personal friend, but a random person? That must've been super awkward.

Future Gazer

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
How am I bending the narrative? And how is the comment innocuous? Listen - you might think it's innocuous and harmless, but it isn't. It's rude and offensive, and flat out a stupid thing to say. And it's a byproduct of exactly what she is talking about in her interview - people feeling big enough to do stupid shit like that, and then people like you saying "what's the big deal".

The big deal is, you let it keep going unchecked and it becomes something worse, which is potentially what has happened with KyoAni. I mean really - a guy doesn't burn a studio down and murder 30+ people unless they have some grudge with the company. It may be speculation but it isn't a huge reach and is in no way an attempt to bend some narrative. I'm just calling it for what it is, and you keep trying to hand wave it. Who is worse?

You're trying to leverage the shock value of a very raw tragedy by making baseless assumptions and it's fucking gross. I'm not discussing this any further.

teacup

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That would get Red Letter Media content banned so...

Good. I mean I support a lot of what resetera stands for progressively (even when I get warned or banned! I'm not saying I'm a saint) but it's very four legs good two legs better in a lot of ways. What about that you tuber who killed himself? Not just weeks later you have people just ignoring that type of culture and getting annoyed when people say "hey don't call the got people awful things"

bad_carbs

Oct 25, 2017
I can't imagine doing that to a regular person.
Same, but if it was someone like Daisy Ridley I would probably want to talk to her about a bunch of crap and maybe a pic so I can brag about it with my friends if she obliges. You know, typical annoying fan stuff
I can imagine myself walking to Eva Green and Hellen Mirrer and telling them they suck because they accepted to work for a pedophile rapist like Roman Polanski.

Same goes to Trey Parker and Matt Stone simply for being a pair of useless Libertarian screwheads.
I wouldn't walk up to a celebrity I don't like at all. I'm not much when it comes to giving a piece of my mind

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I would ask Daisy to freestyle a hot 16, but that is because she claimed to have bars.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe in a thread about toxic fans. None of you have posted the greatest work of all human culture. The Cuck ball. 🤣🤣🤣
OqVi2yi.jpg

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
he probably should have just left it at "oh man i loved TFA"

im not going to call it toxic or anything, but it was a little rude to point out the stuff he didn't like in a casual situation, but at the same time it just seems like a run of the mill rude social encounter

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
No lies detected. This is basically a continuation of what the woman that worked on the old dub of NGE said about how people let her know for over 20 years what they thought of the dub and how much she felt for the people working on the new dub getting the same kind of shit, but people talking about it wanted to frame themselves as "her customers" and that she needed to hear their "opinions" because that's how it should work.

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Oh geez. Within 24 hours, dozens of YouTube videos will be up about how Daisy Ridley hates white men. Within a week, people who never even saw the videos will be parroting that lie because they heard it on social media.
The next star wars review from RLM will have the first 15 minutes dedicated to how they're entitled to their opinions and Daisy ruined their enjoyment of the film.

The fact that people don't see how what that dude did is rude proves Daisy's point tenfold. Lol
It's insane. Like if I put up a film at a film festival and a friend came up and said hey buddy your film sucked. I'm not gonna be happy, and I'd say that's justified.

But people think that because star wars is in the zeitgeist, their opinions are fair game... Which they are in a public arena to a point, but a person who worked on the film is not public arena and fair game to spout your opinions to.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
In this thread, we explain why walking up to strangers and telling them which projects of theirs we don't like is rude