• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Isilia

Mar 11, 2019
US: PA
I guess I don't understand why them being involved in a thing you dislike means you have to open the floodgates of douchebaggery towards the person who worked on it.

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
Most people tend to mention what they do for a living when meeting someone new. Naturally, the topic of Star Wars came up, and the dude casually offered his opinions on the latest movies. That's a very normal interaction.

I'm not saying that Daisy is wrong for finding it rude, that's her prerogative, but it doesn't sound like the guy had any malicious intent.

It doesn't fucking matter if it was his intent to offend her. People don't have to be malicious to be a completely inappropriate jackass; they just have to think that their personal opinion is more important than basic etiquette.

If you're not stopping to consider how other people might receive your two-bit opinion before you offer it unsolicited, you're being a complete dick whether you intend to or not. How is this so goddamn hard for you to understand?

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Most people tend to mention what they do for a living when meeting someone new. Naturally, the topic of Star Wars came up, and the dude casually offered his opinions on the latest movies. That's a very normal interaction.

I'm not saying that Daisy is wrong for finding it rude, that's her prerogative, but it doesn't sound like the guy had any malicious intent.

You can't honestly think that someone with an opinion on The Last Jedi didn't recognize the internationally famous star of the movie, right? A strong enough opinion that he felt the need to tell it directly to the star of the movie, forget politeness? That the most likely course of events was that he didn't know who she was and she just happened to start talking about Star Wars? The chance that he went up to her and started talking about Star Wars movies uninvited is far more likely than that he had no clue who she was and the conversation just naturally drifted there.

But even if the conversation did naturally drift there, criticizing someone you just met is never polite and it shouldn't be normal behavior.

I was at E3 a few years ago and ran into some people who worked at Square-Enix. I didn't launch into a tirade about how I hate what the Final Fantasy series has become. I didn't even offer a more mild criticism. No, I said "Cool," maybe mentioned one of my favorite SE games and went on with the conversation.

Future Gazer

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
That you think insulting what someone does for a living is normal behavior speaks volumes

He wasn't insulting her, but okay.

How many interactions have you had where you tell someone what you do for a living and they immediately begin to criticize your profession and personal performances in that profession?

If he was criticizing her personal performance, that would certainly be crossing a line, but that's not what happened.

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
It should go without saying that someone saying that would be considered rude. I'd be pretty pissed if someone said that about me and my job. Throwing a random comment about how they liked me but not everything else doesn't make it any better. Still rude as fuck and I'd probably never interact with that person again.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
He wasn't insulting her, but okay.

If he was criticizing her personal performance, that would certainly be crossing a line, but that's not what happened.

I like you but I don't like the art you make or the friends and colleagues who helped you make it. Hey, why are you walking away? I said I liked you! Get back here so I can backhanded compliment you some more! I have freedom of speech!

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
dr69jwz.png

astro

Oct 25, 2017

You don't go up to someone you just met or barely know and tell them you thought the thing they worked on was bad.

That's just plain rude in any context, and absolutely highlights the kind of dumb fan enlightenment being discussed.

Last edited:

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
"oh what do you do for a living again? oh hey I didn't know you were in two of the most popular films of the last decade that's nice. I hated the second one by the way oh wait why are you walking away I thought we were having a normal chit chat between normal human beings!" is a new spin on the situation.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
How is this argument still happening
Every few pages there's some dude willing to see the perspective of the rude dude, give him the benefit of the doubt and justify it (unicornKnight, Psittacus, Zelas, Future Gazer, and more). Maybe they wished they could drop their unsolicited criticism on some actor in a non-professional setting? I don't know.

Last edited:

Roygbiv95

Alt account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Why are people caping so hard against basic decency? Spamming paragraphs to try and justify being rude. I don't understand why this topic keeps going.

FWIW i didn't like last Jedi. Really didn't. But so what? You still don't insult someone's work to their face unprompted lmao. This is BASIC STUFF. You wouldn't do this to your neighbor or a friend of a friend. There is 0 reason why you should do it to a celebrity, unless you think fame justifies being abused by fans.

Ignoring the feelings of haters and whiners, it's useful to remember the definition of what's considered common decency vs rude is will depend on the person, and that's a large part of why there's a debate to begin with. Because honestly, in a case like this, it's just low-effort as hell to read an anecdote or blurb about a celebrity on the internet and go all in on either caping for them or bandwagon hating on them without having the curiosity and critical thinking skills to find out more about the situation and articulating your point beyond taking a basic stance for or against something or someone. Sometimes it's that easy, but not always.

Also, isn't it a BIT of a stretch to call an awkward moment like that abuse? Doesn't that kinda minimize actual emotional abuse and gaslighting? A celebrity venting about how a rando walked up to them and said "I didn't like the movie you were in" imo seems such a low level problem to have that I couldn't be too upset about it if it happened to me, honestly. It might be annoying, but ultimately I'd shrug it off and go about the rest of my day because I'm Daisy Ridley and they're just a socially inept rando with an opinion. It'd be one thing if someone was a bigot, attacking my character for no reason, or actively pestering me repeatedly just to talk shit, etc, but I dunno, If I make a movie it's not like I'm royalty - I don't think I'm entitled to receive only praise all the time. I have pretty thick skin though tbf.

See, another example of what I'm talking about. If you assess the situation based on what's in the article, it's clear that Daisy wasn't too familiar with the person and all we have to go on is their comment and her feeling about it. So we don't know the intent. You're presuming that person was saying it in good faith but how do you know? Also if someone is a successful actor, its kind of their job to have an above average amount of emotional intelligence so it's possible Daisy could pick up on that person's intent well enough to know where they're coming from. So no, it's not unreasonable necessarily for her to think their tone and bluntness came off as rude/insulting.

Last edited:

Mars

Oct 25, 2017
I wholeheartedly agree with her. I also wish folks would extend that same courtesy to people who are employed in other industries of work... Such as retail, sales, service type jobs where even on this forum, constantly (and excitingly) sh!t on them directly in their face because "reasons" that are most of the time out of their control but find that's its ok because of unreasonable entitlement(s). Or just simply being arseholes.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Why are we still talking about intent. This thread is living proof that intent is irrelevant, in context

Roygbiv95

Alt account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Why are we still talking about intent. This thread is living proof that intent is irrelevant, in context

Intent can be a part of context.

I wholeheartedly agree with her. I also wish folks would extend that same courtesy to people who are employed in other industries of work... Such as retail, sales, service type jobs where even on this forum, constantly (and excitingly) sh!t on them directly in their face because "reasons" that are most of the time out of their control but find that's its ok because of unreasonable entitlement(s). Or just simply being arseholes.

Don't forget fast food. For whatever reason there's something about placing an order at a drive thru that can bring out the fucking worst in people.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Intent can be a part of context.

Don't forget fast food. For whatever reason there's something about placing an order at a drive thru that can bring out the fucking worst in people.
The context is that someone said something rude. Unless you don't believe Dasiy Ridley, in which case you'd better have a good reason for that.

Roygbiv95

Alt account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
The context is that someone said something rude. Unless you don't believe Dasiy Ridley, in which case you'd better have a good reason for that.

There's a bit of context implied in the blurb, but there could be much more that isn't said, and also if you scroll up abut 13 inches you'll see the part where i pointed out it's not necessarily unreasonable for her to feel insulted by the remark. But whether or not any time someone expresses they don't like a movie you're in should inherently be considered a grave offense is debatable.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
There's a bit of context implied in the blurb, but there could be much more that isn't said, and if you scroll up abut 13 inches you'll see the part where i pointed out it's not necessarily unreasonable for her to feel insulted by the remark. But whether or not any time someone expresses they don't like a movie you're in should inherently be considered offensive is debatable.
It's not debatable. Telling someone you don't like work they're the lead in is rude, especially if unprompted and from a stranger

Roygbiv95

Alt account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
It's not debatable. Telling someone you don't like work they're the lead in is rude, especially if unprompted and from a stranger

It's being debated right now. Whether or not it should be considered offensive depends on the context+intent of how its said and the feelings of the person it's being said to/how they chose to react to it. You don't always get the full context from a two sentence blurb, headline or anecdote in a magazine. Not sure why this would be a difficult concept that needs to be explained.

Last edited:

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ignoring the feelings of haters and whiners, it's useful to remember the definition of what's considered common decency vs rude is will depend on the person, and that's a large part of why there's a debate to begin with. Because honestly, in a case like this, it's just low-effort as hell to read an anecdote or blurb about a celebrity on the internet and go all in on either caping for them or bandwagon hating on them without having the curiosity and critical thinking skills to find out more about the situation and articulating your point beyond taking a basic stance for or against something or someone. Sometimes it's that easy, but not always.

Also, isn't it a BIT of a stretch to call an awkward moment like that abuse? Doesn't that kinda minimize actual emotional abuse and gaslighting? A celebrity venting about how a rando walked up to them and said "I didn't like the movie you were in" imo seems such a low level problem to have that I couldn't be too upset about it if it happened to me, honestly. It might be annoying, but ultimately I'd shrug it off and go about the rest of my day because I'm Daisy Ridley and they're just a socially inept rando with an opinion. It'd be one thing if someone was a bigot, attacking my character for no reason, or actively pestering me repeatedly just to talk shit, etc, but I dunno, If I make a movie it's not like I'm royalty - I don't think I'm entitled to receive only praise all the time. I have pretty thick skin though tbf.

See, another example of what I'm talking about. If you assess the situation based on what's in the article, it's clear that Daisy wasn't too familiar with the person and all we have to go on is their comment and her feeling about it. So we don't know the intent. You're presuming that person was saying it in good faith but how do you know? Also if someone is a successful actor, its kind of their job to have an above average amount of emotional intelligence so it's possible Daisy could pick up on that person's intent well enough to know where they're coming from. So no, it's not unreasonable necessarily for her to think their tone and bluntness came off as rude/insulting.
All those words to say nothing at all

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
It's being debated right now. Whether or not it should be considered offensive depends on the context+intent of how its said and the feelings of the person it's being said to/how they chose to react to it. You don't always get the full context from a two sentence blurb, headline or anecdote in a magazine. Not sure why this would be a difficult concept that needs to be explained.

Plenty of things that aren't debatable are debated, doesn't make those things not really debatable

The presence of debate is an indictment not evidence that the issue ought to be open

Combini

Alt-account
Jul 19, 2019
I think a lot of internet users are very manipulative... or perhaps easily manipulated. Just today I saw very charged words in regards to the Nintendo Switch's NES library.

People feel like SNES games should have come to Switch so the charged phrase is "preserving history", when the reality is that they're arguing for instant access to video games. It's disingenuous.

Again and again with Star Wars fans I don't see these charged words for manipulation, instead I see parroting dog whistles.

They might hear something from an Angry Youtuber or "only semi-alt-right" YouTubers (RedLetterMedia) to "critique" female characters...Holdo, Rey, Rose... when in reality they simply don't like women with agency infecting the brand they're comfortable with.

I'm not sure if it's disingenuous, or perhaps they're being manipulated by those who take advantage of the YouTube algorithms to push political ideology, but it has to stop.

If you find yourself constantly critiquing Holdo, Rose, and Rey you have to ask yourself if you're being sexist... or if the media you watch is simply influencing you to parrot these ideas in the aims of their own alt-right political agenda.

Roygbiv95

Alt account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Plenty of things that aren't debatable are debated, doesn't make those things not really debatable

Sure, but on this topic there isn't really a solid enough argument yet to counter the take that ANY time someone expresses an opinion to you that they dislike your movie it should always be considered problematic. Shakey premises based on subjective truths can always be debated.

Even if someone IS sounding rude in an opening comment, depending on context and intent there might be a reason why the person is being blunt. And even if there isn't and they are being straight-up rude, whether or not that exchange is offensive enough to let it bother you depends on the person. Daisy Ridley might feel insulted and annoyed, but a professional comedian, for example, might love it when someone says stuff like that because it gives them a chance to score on the person saying it and vice versa. And sometimes people will say rude things to someone else because the person they're saying it to is someone who deserves it, or if not, a rude comment could be an invitation to exchange jokes/quips. Ultimately, not everything that's as relatively harmless as a perceived slight to your ego should be taken seriously enough for it to get to you.

Last edited:

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Sure, but on this topic there isn't really a solid enough argument yet to counter the take that ANY time someone expresses an opinion to you that they dislike your movie it should always be considered problematic. Shakey premises based on subjective truths can always be debated.

Even if someone IS sounding rude in an opening comment, depending on context and intent there might be a reason why the person is being blunt. And even if there isn't and they are being straight-up rude, whether or not that exchange is offensive enough to let it bother you depends on the person. Daisy Ridley might feel insulted and annoyed, but a professional comedian, for example, might love it when someone says stuff like that because it gives them a chance to score on the person saying it and vice versa. And sometimes people will say rude things to someone else because the person they're saying it to is someone who deserves it, or if not, a rude comment could be an invitation to exchange jokes/quips. Not everything that's as relatively harmless as a perceived slight to your ego should be taken seriously enough for it to get to you.

Nope

skipgo

Dec 28, 2018
If a man said someone was offensive to them would we have 13 pages of arguments about it?
Who knows?! Who can say?!

denx

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Why is this discussion still going on? Didn't your parents teach you shit about manners when you were kids?

Mr_Blue_Sky

Oct 25, 2017
Just because you've seen a piece of media someone has been in that doesn't magically grant you the rapport to walk up and ambush them with your personal feelings on the matter. You have to have a real inflated sense of familiarity/ego to think that watching a movie gives you the go ahead to bother them in real life. They don't know who you are, what are you actually hoping to gain out of telling them unprompted you didn't like their movie?

Oct 27, 2017
It is rather sad that, rather than use this anecdote and the commentary offered by so many in this thread as an opportunity to reflect on how one's actions and words can negatively affect others, some will just double down, trying to find any excuse to justify why it is okay to offer an unsolicited critique of a complete stranger's work to their face.

Be courteous to other people, it is not that hard.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
The fact that you can attempt to debate something doesn't mean there is justification for said debate. Use your head.

What magical piece of context are you waiting for that will excuse a stranger randomly criticising the work of someone else?

Icemonk191

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The fact that you can attempt to debate something doesn't mean there is justification for said debate. Use your head.

What magical piece of context are you waiting for that will excuse a stranger randomly criticising the work of someone else?
Do you know if she went up to him first and said she hated the film he was in hmmm? HMMMMMMMMMMM?????

Zen

The Wise Ones
Nov 1, 2017
It is rather sad that, rather than use this anecdote and the commentary offered by so many in this thread as an opportunity to reflect on how one's actions and words can negatively affect others, some will just double down, trying to find any excuse to justify why it is okay to offer an unsolicited critique of a complete stranger's work to their face.

Be courteous to other people, it is not that hard.
"FROM MY POINT OF VIEW THE WRITERS ARE EVIL"

giphy.webp

BabyShams

Nov 7, 2017
"It's great that people are expressive of their views. But this is people's jobs. People worked really, really hard on that thing," Ridley says, with conviction. "I think there's a way of having a discussion that isn't so vicious."

I get what she's saying, but someone worked at their job, really hard, to earn the money to watch what your job created, and they didn't like it. They may have also spent a lot of that money they work really really hard at to buy stuff surrounding that brand. I'm not saying they spent money therefore they can be hate spewing shits, I just dislike the "someone worked hard on this" as an excuse or defense.

Social media can contribute to "the God complex that some people have," Ridley continues. "Because if you've got however many followers, and you write something that you think is, like, so deep, and a hundred people like it, it's constant reinforcement." But, in her experience, it's not just people sitting behind their laptops and their phones who brazenly share hurtful opinions.

"I was at my friend's birthday," she recalls, "and one of her friends, who I barely know, was like, 'Hey, really liked the first Star Wars. Didn't really like the second one,' and I thought, 'That's rude, dude! That's my job!'"

That person is a fucking dickhead.

To the constant reinforcement for influencers or youtube channels having followers to reinforce negativity... I mean I didn't see Disney or any of the actors complaining about that when they were getting praise.