• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Me too. I always turn them off the first chance I get, if the game allows it. Sometimes, I'd even go as far as installing mods to get rid of them.

Deleted member 20852

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I just have a general dislike of numbers indicating pretty much anything in games, since my brain goes into a mode where every number matters more than life and must be optimized to the max.

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
I was against it in MHW at first but really liked the addition after playing it.

It's a useful way to know your build/damage output and improve on it.

Jan 10, 2018
This is a strange complaint since numbers are used to inform the player of what is actually happening on screen. Without numbers you could only guess as to what is the truth and it becomes confusing for everyone involved in the current challenge.

Destiny is a good example of this where bosses usually have phases that can end poorly if the damage output is too low. So to understand what your team has to correct there is visual representation of the damage in the form of numbers. Player number 5 does only 10k damage when others are doing 25k. Ok got it, let's gather and look at what's wrong with the current setup for this particular player.

Of course this will also lead to unnecessary competition but all in all it's needed to plan your approach. The system gives you the facts and you deal with it from there.

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
I don't like 'em in my action games. They're typically a sign of a lack of diegetic visual feedback. and that the HP amounts are over-inflated, especially in shooters. I don't mind them in slow-paced games where careful, strategic decisions are required though.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i don't mind them but they are becoming kind of extraneous. unlike in the old days where you saw a # and it was like "oh damn, critical hit!" or "damn that attack was weaksauce" now it's just a bunch of flashes

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
And here I thought monster hunter needs to go a step further and add lifebars.

I'm all for immersion but seeing numbers fly up makes a game more exciting for me. It's also the best way to know how effective you are.

I agree some games don't need it (when a life bar is enough) but I can't think of a game where not having it makes the game better. Of course this is talking about games where you deal damage.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
Any game that's stat/gear based benefits from easy to read feedback. Damage numbers are that. A life bar is that.

Even in pure action games some of the hidden stats could be useful to see for learning purposes. Like damage drop with increasing range, headshot area size etc.

Some of this can be done with animation but especially if lots of thing are happening that may not be enough to actually teach the player.

Of course, if i'm playing a heavily story based campaign with a bit of shooting gallery sprinkled in, idc about how much damage i'm doing.

GazRB

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with you on some games, like Gears. Those types of games should focus on developing great Binary domain level damage animation feedback.

But with RPGs, I'm fine with damage numbers.

tommy7154

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree there should be a poll here. I like them, but as always giving the option/s is the best way to go.

SprachBrooks

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
One and done.
Whole lotta uninformed comments in this thread regarding dopamine.

They do have that side-effect, there's no doubting that. I get satisfaction from seeing them in two ways: they allow me to see how much damage I'm able to currently do and to visualise — so long as they're used alongside a health bar — chipping away at an enemy's health.

I'm playing Devil May Cry 5 and I wish that had damage numbers / health bars on enemies — without the need to lock on.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
I agree

Just make the enemy's hp visible, like Breath of the Wild.
This way, the numbers won't be popping everytime you hit the enemy, and you have an idea of how much damage you are inflicting

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
The only thing damage numbers are useful for is seeing if I'm actually damaging an enemy or not. The numbers themselves couldn't matter less and could easily be replaced by a basic 0/.5/1/2 effectiveness pop-up system in most games.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I like being able to instantly see the effects of my build. I like to see the number of outlandish crits that sometine happen by chance that tune me into the potential of a random build. And other stuff.

Deleted member 9317

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New York
Is there a word for "something you never miss until it's there, and you never wish if it was never there to begin with"? Because that's what damage numbers are.

I don't give a fuck about them in games and would absolutely hate it if it was in every game; I don't give a fuck until they're in the games I play. Then I would hate it if it's removed from that game. Whenever a game adds damage number, it's usually not a half-assed decision, and almost all of the time it's a good decision for that particular game.

However, when you have sponge enemies, it's when damage counters have gone too far. At that point, give me beat-em-ups style colored boss health's (some games like Destiny get away with it by having shield bar and then health bar).

I absolutely despise it in The Division. It's just useless numbers flashing in your face with no feedback to get from it. The Division 2 unintentionally fixes this (and more) by reducing sponge enemies. On the other hand, It's great in games like Apex Legends as you know exactly how much damage you've done, you can estimate how many more bullets it'll take to kill the enemies, not how many more magazines.

Oct 28, 2017
How do you feel about Xenoblade, OP

2825171-3026569321-ibwo2.gif
how about ff14

Gure

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
With the introduction of a direct hit, the numbers in ffxiv are even better now. That sweet direct crit under huge party buffs on the screen always feels extremely good.

Minsc

Oct 28, 2017
Pretty much the main thing I noticed in the FFVIIR videos during combat, the damage numbers popping up all the time constantly. Usually pretty low, but hundreds and hundreds of damage number pop ups.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I like damage numbers, but I hate absurdly large damage numbers. It just removes all sense of impact or scale to thing.

Oct 25, 2017
In action games, they're a cheap and lazy way of providing feedback that could, and in my opinion generally should, be handled through other means. To boot, their inclusion is increasingly cynical, and not unlike mechanics like lootboxes. But then the shlooter genre holds negative interest for me to begin with, so I'm not playing the kind of games where this sort of steady feedback might actually be preferable to the alternative.

yckmd_

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Like most things, there's examples of well implemented and poorly implemented (or as people have pointed out, games that don't need them relying on them to graft some sense of RPG-esque progress onto themselves.)

I personally love seeing damage numbers in games that are built-around the idea of progression - I recall when I first started Diablo III turning on all the health bars and damage numbers and being like awwww yeah that's the stuff

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
As long as they are toggled, I'm fine. I would probably turn them on when experimenting with a build or testing vulnerabilities, but other than that I really dont enjoy seeing them, especially in action games.

Seeing stuff pop up like 12.7K or 14.3K in Borderlands 2 was just lol

Wulfram

Mar 3, 2018
I'm not keen on them. Sometimes they're necessary, though even then I tend to think better designs could convey the needed information better - simply different numbers shouldn't be the only sign that resistances are making your attacks ineffective.

For outright RPGs I'd rather have a combat log at the bottom, though that's not really in style nowadays.

Nome

Designer / Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
They do have that side-effect, there's no doubting that. I get satisfaction from seeing them in two ways: they allow me to see how much damage I'm able to currently do and to visualise — so long as they're used alongside a health bar — chipping away at an enemy's health.

I'm playing Devil May Cry 5 and I wish that had damage numbers / health bars on enemies — without the need to lock on.
Just a pet peeve of mine when posters bring up dopamine. Everything "fun" or "satisfying" gives you a dopamine hit. It's a completely meaningless thing to say and there's less pretentious and more informed/specific ways to describe game design than to invoke neurotransmitters, which have no real-world relevance to gamers.

But yeah, damage numbers/floating combat text are a fantastic tool for player feedback. I don't think they're "cheap" at all, and most games *should* give you a way to them off if they're not vital to gameplay. I'm a big fan of Dota 2's implementation, which treats it like a particle and gives it gravity and X/Y acceleration. It was the big inspiration for me when we redid League of Legends' combat text back in 2012.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
I wish some people would explain their criticisms.

Of course damage numbers are cheap. Why the hell would they be expensive? How good something is doesn't correspond to how much time it took to implement.

Deleted member 2620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People have some interesting ideas about immersion. A lack of damage numbers or other explicit under-the-hood info can lead to a more aesthetically cohesive experience (among other things), which can, depending on the context of the game, make it more engaging ("immersive") to me. It's not some binary thing, and it's not a universal preference, but I get the impression those joking about "ruined immersion" aren't really looking for good faith discussion here.

But yeah, damage numbers/floating combat text are a fantastic tool for player feedback. I don't think they're "cheap" at all, and most games *should* give you a way to them off if they're not vital to gameplay. I'm a big fan of Dota 2's implementation, which treats it like a particle and gives it gravity and X/Y acceleration. It was the big inspiration for me when we redid League of Legends' combat text back in 2012.

One of the most interesting implementations I've seen is Tekken 7. It exists at a character customization level, as a replacement for standard hit "explosion" effects. Being a character customization thing, this means your opponent will HAVE to see them if you've equipped them lol.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I used to hate them too, but not because of "immersion".

When I was a kid, I used to not like RPGs because whenever I looked at those big-digit numbers, I thought it was confusing and random. It was why Paper Mario really resonated with me because the damage count was super simplified so that you knew exactly how much you were doing and taking. Damage numbers were mostly single-digit, barely dipping into the 10s. The battles were also very interactive with the action commands and stuff, but that's going off-topic.

Nowadays, I enjoy seeing giant numbers, and I've played a variety of RPGs and other games since then.

Niceguydan8

Nov 1, 2017
Given the way Horde works in Gears 5, I think the numbers are reasonable.

They have the card system, which gives you more stats (damage can be one of those stats), as well as the individual in-match progression that can also give the player more damage. As a matter of fact, I wish we had access to more numbers in Gears 5 for Horde specifically.

If I have a headshot perk that gives 20% more damage on a sniper and I know that a sniper headshot does ~2k damage, I can figure out what exactly that 20% amounts to. Without damage numbers, I wouldn't know.

Another non-damage example: Jack gets more power from putting extra guns into the forge. If I don't have a baseline for how much power he gets his team on a per-gun basis, I don't really have a point of reference for how much more he gets that is immediately obvious. Since I do, I can very quickly figure out the breakeven point for the structure and figure out whether or not it's worth it for my team. It's a huge positive to have these point of references.

I dunno, I see it as a total positive given how the mode works.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I think they probably stick out like a sore thumb in some games/genres but those I don't usually play/don't interest me for other reasons.

If the game's underlying mechanics relies on statistics under the players control (different armor/weapons/etc.) then at least as an option they should be displayed, if only as an aid to help with build construction.

Other games are obviously still built on statistics under the hood, but if the player is never presented with any then I don't think damage numbers are necessary in this case.