• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Dame is great

also Dame owned a Dreamcast and admitted it so nerds should love him

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
So this means next gen will have a different athlete (I know they've had different, usually legacy athletes for the special editions or whatever)

Cake Boss

Oct 25, 2017
Surprised Kawhi has not been on a cover yet.

Maybe he approached, then he giggled internally and said 'NO'.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Reserving the next gen cover for a player that's able to make the finals.

Or heck, even the playoffs this year.

It's still so weird to me that he almost singlehandedly ended the Westbrook era of the Thunder, and that just made them better.

I also wonder if they're going to try to do some approximation of the weird playoff format from this year or they'll just ignore it completely.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I assume it'll be Zion given the trailer.

Makes sense to get ahead of the curse. Use two players who were injured for major chunks of this current season and who won't be making the playoffs (I know they have a chance because of the format, but we'll see).

Problem is, the NBA 2k curse is different from the Madden curse, it usually involves the player in question changing teams within a couple of years.

Nov 2, 2017
Is it time?

giphy.gif

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
I was about to say "there is no way Dame played 2K on dreamcast, he's too young" and "i think their idea of last gen having an older star and next gen having zion (the next star) would work better if it was someone older than Dame", and then I see Dame is 29 years old, which is shocking to me!

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I was about to say "there is no way Dame played 2K on dreamcast, he's too young" and "i think their idea of last gen having an older star and next gen having zion (the next star) would work better if it was someone older than Dame", and then I see Dame is 29 years old, which is shocking to me!

he was a four-year college player, makes sense

Oct 27, 2017
Dame is amazing, and I wish he would win a title before his career ends.

That said, 2K curse incoming jk.

I think this will be the first year I get 2k not on Switch if the 1-2 second load times on PS5 are true.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ah yea booyyy. Those old A.I. cover Dreamcast games were legit too. 2K has been good since time and it's no surprise Live is dead

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Then the special edition is either Kobe or Vince Carter since he's retiring this year.

Kobe's estate seems to be very cautious (with good reason, considering it's only been like 6 months since his death) about his likeness and license going forward. They disassociated with Mamba Academy and there are some grumbling that Vanessa may not even re-up with Nike to continue his shoe line going. I wouldn't expect him on a video game cover any time soon.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
Makes sense to get ahead of the curse. Use two players who were injured for major chunks of this current season and who won't be making the playoffs (I know they have a chance because of the format, but we'll see).

Problem is, the NBA 2k curse is different from the Madden curse, it usually involves the player in question changing teams within a couple of years.

What Madden curse, Maholmes won the Super Bowl this year.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Kobe should've been the cover athlete for all versions. Wtf 2K.

Its not really their decision. I think putting Kobe on the cover this soon after an incredibly tragic and untimely death would be sort of unnerving too. Like the dude ain't even dead a year and they are using his death to sell video games.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
Its not really their decision. I think putting Kobe on the cover this soon after an incredibly tragic and untimely death would be sort of unnerving too. Like the dude ain't even dead a year and they are using his death to sell video games.
I see it as more of a tribute but to each it's own I guess.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
I see it as more of a tribute but to each it's own I guess.

I mean I'm sure that would be the intent but they ain't giving the game away for free. The cover athlete is usually chosen to help sell the game. I don't know, not really a wrong or right answer to this stuff but it would feel off to me.

Deleted member 179

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
On Kobe, I think it'd be a bad look. Even if they have the right intent, it would just look like they're exploiting his death. They'll save that for when we hit 2k24.

On Dame, MY BOY MADE IT

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Is there an NBA 2K version of the Madden Curse?
Not a curse as in getting hurt, but like I mentioned before definitely a ton of their athletes have switched teams. Has more to do with top stars switching teams like nothing but still pretty interesting to see:
2k14: Lebron in Heat uniform
2k15: Durant in OKC uniform
2k17: Paul George in Pacers uni
2k18: Kyrie in Cavs uni
2k19: Lebron
2k20: AD