• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
It's just 2 games but goddamn they were stunning examples in the space genre. Rebel Outlaw Galaxy and Rebel Galaxy

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
What kinda gameplay we talking? I've somehow heard of neither.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
who has the rights to the games? I remember really liking the vibe of the first game

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
Those games were great. What happened to the studio?
I happened to be looking to see what they were upto and all i could find was mention on their steam boards that they mentioned they closed shop on their discord. No info beyond that. All their social media been dead for years

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
That sucks. Not surprised since Rebel Galaxy Outlaw didn't take off in the same way as the original.

Lobster Roll

Sep 24, 2019
You start as a bum taking jobs trying to build up your shop. The rebel galaxy games had a living economy where selling and buying goods had a real economy
Alright cool. I'll give it a look, especially since I signed up for the 52 games in 52 weeks challenge haha

SkoomaBlade

Chicken Chaser
Oct 30, 2017
That's a damn shame. Pretty sure two of the guys at DD were some of the OG creatives behind Diablo (one of the Schaefer bros and the music guy?)

Hopefully they keep making games elsewhere. Or maybe hook back up with the Torchlight devs.

Santini

Oct 25, 2017
I happened to be looking to see what they were upto and all i could find was mention on their steam boards that they mentioned they closed shop on their discord. No info beyond that. All their social media been dead for years
Travis Baldree, one of Double Damage's co-founders, writes books now:

View: https://twitter.com/TravisBaldree/status/1593006867336564737?cxt=HHwWgsDUxcjTv5ssAAAA

The play like Wing Commander Privateer or Freelancer. But the first game had carrier style combat and the second had regular dogfighting. Both were fun
Very true. Privateer didn't have billiards, though.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmtTtWoFDzY

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXo6CTWVFI8

Springy

Oct 28, 2017
I liked both the Rebel Galaxy games; both were just shy of greatness, though, and it's a shame they didn't get a chance/feel like iterating on it one more time, could've been special. Outlaw is the closest I've come to scratching that Freelancer itch since 2003. Hope they all have moved on to better things!

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Oct 25, 2017
I liked both the Rebel Galaxy games; both were just shy of greatness, though, and it's a shame they didn't get a chance/feel like iterating on it one more time, could've been special. Outlaw is the closest I've come to scratching that Freelancer itch since 2003. Hope they all have moved on to better things!
Yeah, but I think it wasn't from a lack of talent, more budget. Somebody needs to make an AAA Freelancer heir

SpotAnime

Dec 11, 2017
Wasn't Rebel Galaxy Outlaw an Epic Store exclusive for a period of time? I never picked it up, but I see it's on Steam now (and pretty heavily discounted for the Winter Sale).

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
The first game is not like Wing Commander, which is what I loved about it. It looked like 3D combat, but was actually large freighter ships on a 2D plane. The closest analogy was like the naval combat from Assassin's Creed Black Flag but in space. I really enjoyed it.

They ditched that and went full 3D for the sequel. I subsequently lost interest and never played Outlaw.

Lobster Roll

Sep 24, 2019
Rebel Galaxy is currently $1.99 on Steam until January 5. Had no choice really - welcome to the backlog.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
That's too bad, I remember Travis from the Mythos days and how much of a better game it was than Hellgate London

Nov 3, 2017

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
The first game is not like Wing Commander, which is what I loved about it. It looked like 3D combat, but was actually large freighter ships on a 2D plane. The closest analogy was like the naval combat from Assassin's Creed Black Flag but in space. I really enjoyed it.

They ditched that and went full 3D for the sequel. I subsequently lost interest and never played Outlaw.
Yeah this was my exact experience with the franchise. Space boats were so much fun.

I'd have loved to see what they thought up next, gonna miss Double Damage Games.

Muetsch

Oct 27, 2017
Such a shame

Absolutely loved the first one, remember reviewing and loving it.

And then the second one was shown and I wasn't totally on board but hey who knows? Yeah I absolutely did not like the sequel unfortunately

Shame nevertheless seeing Indie Devs just "disappearing" without there being much fuss around it

Jul 25, 2018
Yeah, mark me down as bummed. I kind of adore the original Rebel Galaxy, its blend of space truckin' and treating space combat like ships at sea was super appealing. I bounced off Outlaw a bit but it's mostly just me not being as interested in a more space-y space dogfight style rodeo. Style was absolutely off the charts though. Gonna have to give it another go.

when I get home because I had to go to the hospital today and have to stay for a few days. 2023 off to a start for me.

OrangePulp

Jul 21, 2020
Yeah, Travis Baldree moved into audiobook narration (he's the voice of Cradle!) and now more recently into writing. I thought Legends and Lattes was quite charming. IIRC, he was just kinda done with game dev? Seems to be quite successful in his new direction, Audible shows 272(!) narrator credits.

I found the first Rebel Galaxy to be much more enjoyable than the sequel, which is interesting considering that Outlaw was I think what they wanted to make initially. There was some other game that was coming out around the same time (maybe Elite Dangerous) that they didn't want to conflict with, so instead we got the sort of broadside style combat, which I actually found much more engaging for this genre. I think it's a good way to have a sort of 3D Escape Velocity. (Side note: if you want a new, 2D escape velocity, go check out Starsector)

Kal Shintar

Dec 11, 2018
Rebel Galaxy Outlaw was what they really wanted to make for the get go but they went with the Assassin Creed style because of Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous. As they weren't really all the similar to Privateer so they made Rebel Galaxy Outlaw. Travis Baldree had been doing audiobook narration for a while made it full time as it was less stressful and he didn't have to deal with abuse from whiny steam users throwing a hissy fit because he dared to go with the Epic deal.

A pity I would have liked DLC or a sequal to Rebel Galaxy Outlaw.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
Ah, that makes me feel bad for not giving outlaw a spin. I liked the first one though I didn't finish it.

mujun

Nov 1, 2017
I would have loved it if they'd made a sequel to the first game. I play it once every year or so.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
It's just 2 games but goddamn they were stunning examples in the space genre. Rebel Outlaw Galaxy and Rebel Galaxy

Shiiit, I loved Rebel Galaxy, bought it day one and got 100%.

That's a bummer, did they give any reason?

Edit:

fuuck