• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
An enamel crown just fell off a tooth and I'm recovering from back surgery and have no way to get to a dentist. I don't think there's anything wrong with the underlying tooth,the crown just popped off while I was flossing.

How are those self-repair kits (like Dentek) they sell on Amazon? I'd rather not pay a dentist $50-$100 just to cement it back on anyways.

Wolf

Oct 25, 2017
If you try to put it back on yourself it's going to fall out again and you're going to have to pay a dentist to do it right anyway.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
If it's actually going to cost $50 that's really not much to make sure it's properly fixed

OP
OP
Wag

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
If you try to put it back on yourself it's going to fall out again and you're going to have to pay a dentist to do it right anyway.
As I said I have no way of getting to a dentist right now anyways. The home repair kit will just be a temporary fix until I can get to one. The crown goes right back on my tooth, it's not cracked or anything.

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017
What about a travelling dentist like the one in Django? Have the dentist come to you

rhindle

Oct 27, 2017
The dental repair kits are some playdoh stuff to tide you over for a day or two. It'll keep the crown in place *if* you avoid using the tooth. Try eating anything remotely chewy and it'll come right back off.

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
You're gonna have to go back to the dentist.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
If the tooth stub is undamaged you can probably just do without the crown for a bit until you can get looked at. The repair kits are mainly for looks and won't hold up for too many meals; probably best not to have a chunk of porcelain or metal that could come loose in your mouth while you're eating.

Last edited:
May 24, 2019
TZ5HPVj.jpg

SuperBonk

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
You don't have access to the dental cement necessary to hold the crown in permanently. You can get dental adhesive at the pharmacy to hold the crown in temporarily until you're able to see a dentist, but it will most likely come out again if you chew on it.

Whatever you do, don't try to come up with a permanent solution yourself like Krazy Glue. Just wait until you can see a dentist.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
An enamel crown just fell off a tooth and I'm recovering from back surgery and have no way to get to a dentist. I don't think there's anything wrong with the underlying tooth,the crown just popped off while I was flossing.

How are those self-repair kits (like Dentek) they sell on Amazon? I'd rather not pay a dentist $50-$100 just to cement it back on anyways.

how long have you had that crown OP? seems weird for something like that to just pop off during flossing. If that tooth hasnt had any impact, you havent bitten on something hard, and the crown is well made, that shouldnt happen. If its a recent thing I'd ask some serious questions of your dentist.

What material is it? Good adhesive costs about as much as an appointment, dont use a self repair kit. Especially if you are uncertain what kind of material its made of. Chances are you'll do more damage to the crown or tooth and increase dentist costs later on. If you can get to a dentist within a week, I'd just try to avoid that tooth and make an appointment.

Oct 28, 2017
There's often underlying problems that cause soemthing like this to happen. Usually decayed tooth under the crown. You might be thinking, " but I don't feel anything" and here's the issue with that. This is anecdotal but I'd venture to say that over 75% of cavities don't produce any symptoms or perceivable problems for the patient. I've seen patients with teeth broken off, gigantic holes with the nerve exposed. Rampant bone loss from periodontal disease. No symptoms.

So there's a solid chance that crown could be cemented right back on, as you say, but the tooth needs to be examined first. The going rate for a root canal is ~$1000 - $1500 depending on the tooth and money is clearly an issue for you. If there's decay on the tooth, that's where this story is headed. If it's already been root canaled, an extraction is the likely result of untreated decay. And an implant to replace a missing tooth with set you back somewhere in the area of $5k.

So please go see a dentist

ZackieChan

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's often underlying problems that cause soemthing like this to happen. Usually decayed tooth under the crown. You might be thinking, " but I don't feel anything" and here's the issue with that. This is anecdotal but I'd venture to say that over 75% of cavities don't produce any symptoms or perceivable problems for the patient. I've seen patients with teeth broken off, gigantic holes with the nerve exposed. Rampant bone loss from periodontal disease. No symptoms.

So there's a solid chance that crown could be cemented right back on, as you say, but the tooth needs to be examined first. The going rate for a root canal is ~$1000 - $1500 depending on the tooth and money is clearly an issue for you. If there's decay on the tooth, that's where this story is headed. If it's already been root canaled, an extraction is the likely result of untreated decay. And an implant to replace a missing tooth with set you back somewhere in the area of $5k.

So please go see a dentist
Yep. Happened to me on a first date once (glad I could bail - hope that's not boys club behavior though). Ended up needing a root canal and a new crown. Luckily I have dentists in the family who could get me friend discounts at the endo and could do the crown cheap.

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
They can just fall off like that? That's kind of terrifying.

Yes, my mother had one fall off while eating a piece of cheese. They had to make her a whole new crown and it ended up costing her like $700 in the end.

OP, until you get to the dentist, just avoid eating anything hard/sticky on that side of your mouth. Maybe call your dentist and see if they have any advice since you are not able to get there right now.