• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MBS

Oct 25, 2017
"It's really unclear what we would even do with it, let alone how upset people would get with whatever we did," says the co-founder of Rockstar Games. "Both intense liberal progression and intense conservatism are both very militant, and very angry.

It is scary but it's also strange, and yet both of them seem occasionally to veer towards the absurd. It's hard to satirise for those reasons. Some of the stuff you see is straightforwardly beyond satire. It would be out of date within two minutes, everything is changing so fast."

So if, they're not releasing it in the age of Trump, that means that GTA6 is a no-no before 2020, at least, as they presumably believe that he won't be in office after his first term.

If that's the case, could it that mean they haven't even started writing it (or parts of it) yet? Doesn't make much sense as, i'd say that was a bit of a vague response from him.

Via GQ: (Full RDR2 interview)

Oct 25, 2017
Boogie-esque both sides. hmm

ac85d69da678ca3550b3bba951bcd50ed1d47bc1.gif

Nov 3, 2017
Of course motherfuckers are angry how stupidly short sighted do you have to be to not understand why

No GTA till 2024 will be a nice break though

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Onion headlines are better than ever. So satire is still very doable.

Also, both sides. It's like he's already writing dialogue for Laszlo.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
He's not wrong. I don't even know how you can do political satire right now, it would be near impossible to not step in some shit with someone.

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why are you guys cherry picking 'both sides' as some kind of meme? He's absolutely correct that both ends of the political spectrum are so highly charged there's really no way to make good politcal satire right now.

MrBadger

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how awful the right has to get before people stop saying "both sides"

I guess people will always blame videogame femanism for the rise of fascism

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
Oh look someone in the industry that's a both sides guy.
How unique.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So after "we make people work 100 hours a week, how cool am I ?!"
we got "man, tiki-torch wielding white supremacists are really just as as bad as people who don't like Nazis."

Seems like a great individual.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Why are you guys cherry picking 'both sides' as some kind of meme? He's absolutely correct that both ends of the political spectrum are so highly charged there's really no way to make good politcal satire right now.

Of course there is, as I mentioned Onion headlines. The both sides thing itself is easy as hell to satire.

It's arguably easier than ever to do satire.

yungronny

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Lol seriously. Take this forum as an example. People lose their minds on here over anything at all.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
I would say he's not wrong, but the Onion has done some of its best writing in the last four years or so, and that stuff has ended up feeling pretty evergreen as time has moved on. Like, reader awareness of how the benchmark for the absurd is shifting becomes a layer of the comedy.

Also, that equivocation about "both sides" (given recent events) could be a joke in itself. Again, the Onion has managed insightful jabs at the various elements in the US political scene without lazily lamenting that everyone is just equally crazy.

PixelatedDonut

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Philly ❤️
Yes the extremes of both sides are extremely sensitive and easily triggered......but I can already see people getting upset because they usually lack optics.

Khrol

Oct 28, 2017
I was expecting GTA VI next gen anyway so this isn't a surprise to me. Not a fan of the over-the-top satire in GTA anyway. I wish they'd play it more straight like the RDR series. Make it more like a legit crime drama but I guess the satire helps even out the experience.

okayfrog

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
All the "BOTH SIDES!!!!" posts are basically proving his point, lol.

EDIT: And yeah, I wasn't expecting GTAVI 'til at least three years after RDR2. Gotta build up that online!

Oct 29, 2017
My lord are people here prickly

Nothing wrong his comment. Both sides have extremes, anyone who can't see that is silly.

large_gourd

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 29, 2018
Onion headlines are better than ever. So satire is still very doable.

Also, both sides. It's like he's already writing dialogue for Laszlo.

Yeah, of course it's doable. Satire does not have to equal mocking Trump directly, anyway.

GTA is not a series I'd say is particularly clever with it's satire. It has an arch tone, and some basic level parody, but I think saying anything more than that is giving them too much credit.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, it's not like Rockstar has had a deft hand with its satire before this. It's arguably the most instantly out of date part of their games.

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
GTA has ALWAYS played both sides in its satire. Although, to be honest, that doesn't bother me in and of itself. Satirize everyone, a la South Park. The problem is direct equivocating of the two as in some way similar, which it feels like he's doing in this interview.

I find it hard to believe they aren't working on GTA6 though.

Ryo

Oct 28, 2017
fuck off with that "both sides" shit, Houser
He's right though, if Rockstar satirized Trump they'd be crucified by the right and the same would apply if Rockstar mocked the left or ignored Trump and other problems associated with the right.

Politcially speaking everything is so tribal at the moment, people look for deeper meanings in harmless jokes and blow things out of proportion.

Status
Not open for further replies.