• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
ace attorney has the best concept. you can keep it going without it really running out of gas. danganronpa has the best consistency among the actual vn games, but the concept is worn out. zero escape really only worth its salt for 999, where vlr stumbles and ztd fails completely. never played steins;gate.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Ace Attorney is the only one that has consistently good story and gameplay

The 999 series story falls apart

Danganronpa has bad gameplay and bad stories

Steins Gate is really good, know nothing about the sequel

applejuice

Oct 27, 2017
Tampa, FL
Zero Escape/Nonary Games, the AA for me. I actually enjoyed ZTD and sometimes I find some AA evidence solutions to be total shots in the dark/moon logic.

Haven't played the SG games yet, those are next, and DR's art style is REALLY putting me off. I considered buying them in the PSN NISA* sale but how can I play a game I don't like looking at?

Last edited:

BluWacky

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
My personal favourite of these series would be Danganronpa. I like the increasing complexity and variety of the gameplay, generally find the deductive processes logical, and particularly enjoy the Monokumas; while they're ridiculous, they're generally enjoyably so.

I like the concept of Ace Attorney games, but far too often the game's tortuous logic drives me mad - having evidence you know proves something but not being able to use it, or sections where the game literally says "you're going to have to make an unsubstantiated guess now!!!!", really ruins the effect. I have played most of them anyway, although I frequently end up using a FAQ towards the end as the deductive leaps become ever more bizarre.

I haven't played enough of Zero Escape to make a fair judgement, only a bit of 999's iOS version to get one ending.

I can't stand Steins;Gate, or any of my limited experience with the Science Adventure-esque stories either as games or in other formats. Everything gets wrapped up in total otaku bullshit, with stereotypical braindead blushing girls with unrealistically huge breasts or main characters I want to throttle due to their obnoxiousness. All that wrapped up in endless overly-verbose text crawl and virtually no gameplay... ugh. I have tried repeatedly to like Steins;Gate because everyone tells me it gets really good later on, but it just doesn't seem to be worth it.

I don't really like visual novels anyway, though. I'd rather do without the visuals and just have a book to read at my own pace (which is much faster than whatever is on offer here). I feel like they don't respect my time enough - the ones with proper gameplay, rather than just the occasional pathway branch selection, are much more palatable, but even then it needs to be frequent.

Razirel

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't played Danganronpa or Steins;Gate yet, so can't comment about those, but Zero Escape takes the cake over AA for me. I love all the characters in AA but the story in Zero Escape is just better as a whole, in my opinion

PsionBolt

Oct 27, 2017
...Of those, I suppose Steins;Gate wins by default by being the only visual novel in the list. The rest are through-and-through adventure games. The best of the listed adventure series is, of course, Ace Attorney.

I'm super glad to see so many people mentioning When They Cry, though! Umineko in particular is leagues ahead of nearly all the flavour-of-the-month visual novels that you usually see people pushing. I can't think of a non-pretentious way to say this, but... Umineko competes on the same playing field as literary fiction, while most VNs play little league against Words of Power. It really is a stark difference in purpose, prose, and themes.
That's the first half. This is the second: http://store.steampowered.com/app/639490/Umineko_When_They_Cry__Answer_Arcs/
Even though they're titled When They Cry 3 and 4, they really are two halves of the same game (with 1 and 2 being the two halves of a largely unrelated game). Reading only the first half is like reading the first half of any novel; you'll be left hanging until you read the rest.

(Random side note: I am completely baffled by the Steam version's decisions to promote itself with such terrible names and art. They didn't have to follow Higurashi's mistakes!)

OP
OP
enigmatic_alex44

enigmatic_alex44

GAGA IS A FLOP
Oct 25, 2017
You tried it.
So no store in my city sells Chaos;Child so that short-lived dream is over I guess (don't recommend EB Games, I'd rather eat my shoe than visit that trash store).