• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
He was involved in Sekiro?, now I feel dirty playing it

I saw one of Dangen's streams where he mentioned how he was contracted with FromSoft to help them find a publisher for Sekiro specifically, IIRC.

Similarly, he's said he's worked on behalf of FromSoft on then-unannounced projects on the Bloodstained Community Podcast.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any mirror of the 2nd Medium article? Not sure why people are posting their stories there considering how ready and willing Medium is to take down the posts.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
I saw one of Dangen's streams where he mentioned how he was contracted with FromSoft to help them find a publisher for Sekiro specifically, IIRC.

Similarly, he's said he's worked on behalf of FromSoft on then-unannounced projects on the Bloodstained Community Podcast.

Now Im wondering if was lying about that since interviews with Activision and From both stated they sought out eachother and Sekiro was originally Tenchu before it became Sekiro under Activision

Jun 26, 2018
Guess I'll add to the SEO juice:

Warning! Do not work with Ben Judd or his company Dangen Entertainment

And google translated for Japanese google:

警告!ベン・ジャッドまたは彼の会社であるダンゲン・エンターテイメントとは仕事をしないでください

Is there any mirror of the 2nd Medium article? Not sure why people are posting their stories there considering how ready and willing Medium is to take down the posts.

Second Dangen Warning is here: http://archive.ph/DG4Yi

OnionKnight

Nov 23, 2019
Lordran
Now Im wondering if was lying about that since interviews with Activision and From both stated they sought out eachother and Sekiro was originally Tenchu before it became Sekiro under Activision

Naw it's not a lie, this is a verifiable fact. You can see all the games DDM ( Digital Development Management, The AAA game agency Ben Judd is a VP of) has been involved with on their website, with Sekiro among many others:

Ben Judd is specifically the VP of the Japan branch apparently, so it's fairly reasonable to assume he was involved in a fromsoft/activision deal.

They've taken his profile off of the website but luckily there's still a web archive of it here:

Also a screencap because I'm paranoid:
LfYZSTZ.png

Last edited:

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017

"Sought out" could mean that they were both open to the project, and Ben probably thought Activision might be the best space to approach for Sekiro, due to the history of them owning the Tenchu IP before FromSoft purchased it from them.

I know Ben playfully said to other people on stream to "thank him" for Sekiro, so I am presuming he was what he was to IGA in being a middle-man to link Japanese developer to international publisher.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
Naw it's not a lie, this is a verifiable fact. You can see all the games DDM ( Digital Development Management, The AAA game agency Ben Judd is a VP of) has been involved with on their website, with Sekiro among many others:

Ben Judd is specifically the VP of the Japan branch apparently, so it's fairly reasonable to assume he was involved in a fromsoft/activision deal.

They've taken his profile off of the website but luckily there's still a web archive of it here:

God damn. Well thanks for the info.

OnionKnight

Nov 23, 2019
Lordran
!

Ben Judd said:
Ben Judd's Statement
Over the past few days, it's become clear that I personally caused an ex-partner, Alex, a great deal of pain from my actions while we were together six years ago.
Many things I didn't recognize about power dynamics I now see for the harm they can and did cause; for that and my related reckless and inappropriate behavior I am truly sorry.
There are many things I now see I must work and improve on. Some of them will require difficult choices, but it's my sincere hope to learn from this and become a better person, for myself and for my family, and for everyone.
Redemption won't come with an apology, it must be earned through action and I plan to do my best to show people I mean everything I'm saying. I hope there is a day where my actions can allow Alex to forgive me some day.
I've caused a great deal of pain to not only Alex, but my friends, co-workers, and business relations and I am deeply sorry for that.
In order to take responsibility and give myself time and space to work on this, I will be stepping away from Dangen and Bitsummit and taking leave from my other industry endeavors.
For the foreseeable future, I will be focusing on fixing some of the issues that have come to light as well as spending time with my family. They believe in me and I want to work hard to grow in a way that justifies that faith. I am truly sorry.
  • Ben Judd

Dangen Entertainment said:
Dangen Company Restructuring

Dangen stands by our mission to promote and support indies in Japan and all over the world. We have always had our developers' best interests at heart. And while mistakes have been made, we have always acted in good faith to resolve them fairly.
We feel that we have given sufficient evidence to support our rebuttal of the claims made against us. However, in the interest of protecting our current employees and clients from further trouble, we are making the following changes:
・In light of Ben Judd, CEO, exiting the company and effective as soon as possible, ownership of the company will be transferred to Dan Stern, who will take over as the interim CEO until we settle on a long-term management solution.
・In talking with Nayan Ramachandran we have decided together it would be best if he stepped away as a full-time employee. He will facilitate work on his projects on a freelance basis.
・Dangen will continue to honor its financial obligations. We request that any developer who has received a sales report and has yet to invoice us, please do so accordingly.
Dangen is staffed by passionate gamers. We love the projects we are working on and we remain committed to supporting the developers and their games.
Thank you very much for your support and understanding during this transitional period.

Well, It doesn't sound like Ben Judd is actually stepping away from ownership of Dangen, Even if he isn't the literal CEO he's still the principle investor/shareholder which still makes him the de facto boss. and I'm not sure what keeping Nayan on as a freelancer is supposed to change? Honestly this is some expert damage control though.

That said, there's no apology for smearing the DE developer as "toxic", no apology to the writer for doing nayan's job on three games for a year, no attempt to make reparations for their stolen revenue... In fact the last bulletpoint almost reads like a taunt regarding that

Last edited:

KUON

Oct 30, 2017
Midgar
Well dang. It doesn't sound like Ben Judd is actually stepping away from ownership of Dangen though, and I'm not sure what keeping nayan on as a freelancer will change? Honestly this is some expert damage control though

"In light of Ben Judd, CEO, exiting the company and effective as soon as possible, ownership of the company will be transferred to Dan Stern, who will take over as the interim CEO until we settle on a long-term management solution. "

This sounds like he is giving up ownership tho...

OnionKnight

Nov 23, 2019
Lordran
This sounds like he is giving up ownership tho...
My bad on the edit. Basically Dangen as a company is built on Ben Judd's investment, and if he pulled it all out it would go bankrupt. So it seems to me like it would be impossible for him to actually extract himself fully without Dangen Entertainment also dissolving

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
We'll see how sincere that apology is if he's not back there a few months later and he rescinds the rights back to the game makers who haven't been paid in full.

If there's any justice he should be persona non grata in the industry: this isn't one or two cock-ups, this is a pattern of abusive behaviour.

Dec 2, 2019

Yeah I would love an archive link too, to show the difference between Ben Judd's actual response and his apparent complete 180 change of heart (aka damage control) less than a week later. If anyone has a mirror please share!

The apology singling me out and reminding us he has a family before he goes on vacation effectively is far from enough. This isn't over. I am not nearly the only one he should apologize to, and I want to see some concrete steps at "redemption".

massoluk

Oct 25, 2017
Thailand
"We feel that we have given sufficient evidence to support our rebuttal of the claims made against us. However, in the interest of protecting our current employees and clients from further trouble, we are making the following changes:"

Uh this is a supremely dumb statement. That's not admitting to any wrongdoing

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
Yeah I would love an archive link too, to show the difference between Ben Judd's actual response and his apparent complete 180 change of heart (aka damage control) less than a week later. If anyone has a mirror please share!

The apology singling me out and reminding us he has a family before he goes on vacation effectively is far from enough. This isn't over. I am not nearly the only one he should apologize to, and I want to see some concrete steps at "redemption".
Here you go, this is the Archive for Dangen's Medium response -

datschge

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like you may be referring to Dangen's previous response on Medium which also got taken down since?
In that case the archive link is http://archive.is/68jQT
With "2nd Medium article" we tend to refer to the text by The Writer, not Dangen.

Edit: I see others got that already. Sorry, still sleepy over here.

Theswweet if you find time maybe you can update the OP again accordingly.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
"We feel that we have given sufficient evidence to support our rebuttal of the claims made against us. However, in the interest of protecting our current employees and clients from further trouble, we are making the following changes:"

"Protect them from further trouble" how, exactly? Is this their attempt at magnanimity, as if it's at all justified? What bullshit, this ain't some agree-to-disagree nonsense, they called you on your shit and you had no answers.

I have no faith that Judd won't weasel his way back in somehow, either to Dangen or some other outfit. Nayan's work with the DE dev was maliciously inept and I can't see how Dangen can justify keeping him around in any capacity but maybe having to answer to more bosses will force him into competency.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I'm really not understanding how going from a full-time employee to a freelancer is going to help anything.

The issue didn't seem to be the volume of work or reporting structure.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a little surprised they took any action whatsoever, but this seems like an empty PR move at the moment given the declination of any wrongdoing, and both Ben and Nayan technically staying on in nebulous capacities.

It reads like they'll return to their public roles as soon as this blows over, and probably haven't relinquished much power.

Spaltazar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm really not understanding how going from a full-time employee to a freelancer is going to help anything.

The issue didn't seem to be the volume of work or reporting structure.
I guess it kinda looks like they are doing ... something? They probably don' want to get rid of him, so they try to put this as if it mattered lol

OnionKnight

Nov 23, 2019
Lordran
Fight Knight's twitter account replied directly to the dangen notice!

FIGHT KNIGHT said:
You need to apologize to me & my team, including "THE WRITER" who you attacked and attempted to smear, and give Devil Engine back to its developers.
And take my game off your damn website, I terminated our contract six months ago.

Last edited:

FuzzyWuzzy

Prophet of Truth
Apr 7, 2019
Austria
That statement by Dangen is sad to read and honestly, it does not seem like much change. Helly they still act as if there was nothing wrong with what happened and Nayan will keep working with them (on that note I would also like to know how long it will be till Judd will come back as "reformed")

FormatCompatible

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
What a godawful response, but not surprised considering it comes from Ben Judd. In other circumstances it would be good to see him stepping down but the way they are handling this is truly shit.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
We'll see how sincere that apology is if he's not back there a few months later and he rescinds the rights back to the game makers who haven't been paid in full.

If there's any justice he should be persona non grata in the industry: this isn't one or two cock-ups, this is a pattern of abusive behaviour.
Yeah. The only way that his apology will have any merit is if the devs he's wronged receive proper reparations, but even if that does happen, he's proven he has no business holding so much power.

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing statement if all the devs are still wronged and specially shitty apology by singling out - twice - one person who spoke out about him and not addressing at all the predatory/creepy behavior that is so common the entire dev community knows about. Not even going to touch the appeal to emotion by saying he will take time off with the family that believes him.

It's not about you. When will those mofos learn.
It's about the people you screwed over.

Damn, not surprising but still disappointing.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I'm a little surprised they took any action whatsoever, but this seems like an empty PR move at the moment given the declination of any wrongdoing, and both Ben and Nayan technically staying on in nebulous capacities.

It reads like they'll return to their public roles as soon as this blows over, and probably haven't relinquished much power.
Yup. No admittance of wrongdoing either. This is transparently PR/damage control, IMO.

Deleted member 3294

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yup. No admittance of wrongdoing either. This is transparently PR/damage control, IMO.
Not just that, they pretty much still say that the Medium articles against them are wrong:
We feel that we have given sufficient evidence to support our rebuttal of the claims made against us. However, in the interest of protecting our current employees and clients from further trouble, we are making the following changes
I doubt things are actually going to change in a meaningful way there.

Allyougame

Oct 25, 2017
Right on to the Fight Knight devs' response. I'm looking forward to the day when Protoculture Games can self-publish Devil Engine on Switch to support it.

And as stated, good on BitSummit although actions speak louder than words. We'll see if they backtrack any.

That statement by Dangen is sad to read and honestly, it does not seem like much change. Helly they still act as if there was nothing wrong with what happened and Nayan will keep working with them (on that note I would also like to know how long it will be till Judd will come back as "reformed")
I have no doubt whatsoever he'll still be protected by his friends in the industry.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
Even if people are calling it a meaningless response, I see their most recent response as a win and an attempt at good faith reparations. Ben admitted to faults, I don't think it's fair to expect him to publicly mention everyone faulted specifically when he does at least acknowledge he has caused pain to many. Listing them individually I think would be in poor taste, and frankly if he wants to return to the industry then he was smart to keep it curt and professional. It definitely should've extended past the one person mentioned though, or even better, probably should've just regarded his actions without stating any specific people.

I also won't lie, I said earlier in the thread I've always been a fan of thetrin. He definitely appeared inept at his job but I don't believe he was malicious, just merely not up to the standards of his position. So I'm glad he's not immediately unemployed and hopefully his contractor status allows him to retain a visa and stay in Japan.

Hopefully as they transition away from these two in the spotlight the company itself will work to proactively make amends, as opposed to their statement which rather weakly tells wronged developers to seek them out. I honestly believe that if they work to repair the damage done they can earn a good reputation back, but I believe they need to be visibly, actively working to do this, and not just think this statement will suffice.

This is all imo of course, and I don't expect many to agree with me, but this is honestly a faster, better response than I expected. I just hope the developers and contracted workers are done right by, that thetrin stays on his feet, and that Ben seeks legitimate help in reforming and that in the (probably very likely) event of him returning to the industry, people keep a check on him and ensure accountability on him.

ZeroDotFlow

Oct 27, 2017
Even if people are calling it a meaningless response, I see their most recent response as a win and an attempt at good faith reparations. Ben admitted to faults, I don't think it's fair to expect him to publicly mention everyone faulted specifically when he does at least acknowledge he has caused pain to many. Listing them individually I think would be in poor taste, and frankly if he wants to return to the industry then he was smart to keep it curt and professional. It definitely should've extended past the one person mentioned though, or even better, probably should've just regarded his actions without stating any specific people.

I also won't lie, I said earlier in the thread I've always been a fan of thetrin. He definitely appeared inept at his job but I don't believe he was malicious, just merely not up to the standards of his position. So I'm glad he's not immediately unemployed and hopefully his contractor status allows him to retain a visa and stay in Japan.

Hopefully as they transition away from these two in the spotlight the company itself will work to proactively make amends, as opposed to their statement which rather weakly tells wronged developers to seek them out. I honestly believe that if they work to repair the damage done they can earn a good reputation back, but I believe they need to be visibly, actively working to do this, and not just think this statement will suffice.

This is all imo of course, and I don't expect many to agree with me, but this is honestly a faster, better response than I expected. I just hope the developers and contracted workers are done right by, that thetrin stays on his feet, and that Ben seeks legitimate help in reforming and that in the (probably very likely) event of him returning to the industry, people keep a check on him and ensure accountability on him.
Dangen doesn't deserve ANY benefit of the doubt here and calling it a win I think if an incredible stretch because literally the only reason why they put out a response in the first place was because there was overwhelming evidence of their shitty behavior and attitude.

Their first attempt at 'good faith' responses was literally lying their asses off about the developer. Their second response was even further lying and attempting to gaslight people by trying to 'debunk' the evidence in an awful and malicious way. If no one had saved evidence of this shit going down, they would've never 'apologized' in the first place.

PtM

Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Why are you talking about repairing damage and hoping they get back on their feet without once mentioning the victims in this?

If it was a one off or a personality flaw then maybe this would wash but some of the behaviour described is criminal, psychopathic or just flat out manipulative.

Your sympathies should be with the victims who hopefully will get some peace and closure.
There's still other developers in contract with Dangen, and it is in their interest that this company they depend on cleans up their act.

Danger Warning author comments, warns about Ben Judd

dwarn

Dec 10, 2019
http://archive.is/kmBzn - Dangen Entertainment Warning #1
http://archive.is/68jQT - Dangen Entertainment's Rebuttal
http://archive.is/rQtsJ - Dangen Entertainment Warning #2

http://dangenwarning.wordpress.com - A Wordpress mirror of all the articles.

Hello, I am "Dangen Warning" or "DW" as I'd prefer to be referred to. I hope it's okay for me to post here. Please forgive me if I violate any rules, I'm not very familiar with ResetEra outside these threads and knowing Nayan enjoyed posting on here a lot.

As it seems to be a point of confusion for many, I'd like to reiterate that I am not Alex. They are in contact with me and allowed me to post the e-mails they received from Ben Judd. At the time, it was too painful for them to post the e-mails themselves, but I thought it was a crucial piece of evidence to start the story with. This seems to have lead to a lot of confusion about my identity and theirs.

How do I support the DE Dev??
You can't monetarily, not right now. Please just make sure people know about what Dangen Entertainment has done to him and his game. We're looking into solutions, and when things are all clear, we'll probably tweet about it.

What happened to the Medium posts?
I was sent a letter from Medium for the first one saying it violated their TOS and asked me to remove private communications in order to have the post unsuspended.
The second one was also deleted, plus a notice saying my account was suspended and would not be eligible for reinstatement.

image0.png

This is fair, as I knew for the second post that it was going to be taken down. I don't have access to any other way to anonymously post long essays with images.

Where are the journalists?
There are some journalists, English and Japanese, who contacted me after the first Medium post and I believe some more articles will be going up shortly.

Prior to writing the Medium posts, I had actually contacted a few journalists. The impression I got was they were uninterested or too busy. Our projects weren't really important enough, and Ben Judd wasn't well known enough. One journalist even mentioned that she had enough "metoo" stories to chase after.

I don't blame these journalists. One Japanese journalist repeatedly told me that it was "shameful" that his publication didn't have the resources to pursue the story or to help me. I believe he was sincere, and the reality is, people like Ben Judd and companies like Dangen Entertainment are so widespread that people really do need to pick their battles. Even now I have firsthand knowledge of other people/companies that I would love to warn people about. Ultimately, I am still part of the whisper circle, but I hope I've encouraged others to try to break this cycle.

Why is Ben Judd important?
I want to explain something very important about Ben Judd that I don't think a lot of people understand about the story. I had tried to explain Ben Judd's importance in (DW-nightclub), but I can see now that I think people needed a very clear explanation on who Ben Judd even is, and why he's even important at all. He's not "just a creep", he's an extremely important person in the AAA games industry, in Japan and the West.

When Alex made their first tweets about Ben Judd back in August, Dangen Entertainment began to try and obfuscate his importance in the company and hide him from interviews. Ben Judd is not a "Co-founder" of Dangen Entertainment, he is literally the CEO and owner. Now they are doing this same tactic again, but on a larger scale that I will try to explain shortly.

Ben Judd is the "Resident Director" (basically the CEO) of the Japan foreign branch office of DDM Agency. DDM has tried to hide his role in the company very recently, but here is a web archive showing that he is one of the top three executives in the company, and the top executive of the Japan branch.

DDM Agency ( https://www.ddmagency.com/ ) is a huge AAA games agency that works with many well-known games and companies: Mighty No. 9 (Comcept), Bloodstained (505 Games), Devil May Cry (Capcom), Metroid (Nintendo), Metal Wolf Chaos (From Software & Devolver Digital), Sekiro (From Software & Activision), Azure Striker Gunvolt (Inti Creates), Silent Hill (Konami)... just to name a few.

Almost every AAA/AA company has some kind of relationship with Ben Judd or DDM Agency. He's bragged that his salary is over $20,000 a month. His work for DDM Agency is primarily where all his power and money come from, and his behavior (sexual harassment, power harassment) has touched every part of the games industry in Japan and the West.

Dangen Entertainment uses the same exact office as DDM Agency and many of its employees and resources, such as law firms and PR firms.

He also has one more company at this same office in the same room: "Capsulated Software". Capsulated Software pretends to be an "indie game development studio" when it is in fact funded and owned by Ben Judd. Capsulated Software develops "Tactical Galactical", a game which Ben Judd directs and is commissioning artists and programmers to work on for himself.

He was on the Board of Directors of the Japan Indie Games Association (JIGA), the committee that manages Bitsummit, the largest indie games event in Japan. John Davis, a former Dangen employee and known friend and supporter of Ben Judd is also still on the Board of Directors of JIGA, giving Ben a strong influence over Bitsummit. Sponsors of Bitsummit include Nintendo, Sony, Cygames, Unties, Raw Fury, IGN Japan, Famitsu, Twitch, LG, AMD.

Bitsummit recently announced they removed DDM as one of their sponsors. This still doesn't solve the problem, as Dangen has remained as a sponsor.

Ben Judd uses this influence and multiple shell companies to sponsor visas for foreigners and sneak games with his influence into events meant for "indie games". While he makes over $200,000 a year, he makes multiple smaller companies, staffs these companies with friends (primarily foreigners), and pretends that these are "small indie companies" and uses his influence to prioritize their placement in events like Bitsummit and TGS, ahead of other games/groups.

Ben Judd wants to characterize the people speaking out against him as a hate mob lead by a jilted-ex (Alex). And honestly, I fear he will be successful, if people focus only on Ben being "creepy", whipping his balls out in public, etc. As horrible as that stuff is, there's quite frankly a lot of people who would just dismiss it as poor humor.

What I tried, and perhaps have failed to do, with my first two Medium posts was demonstrate how Ben Judd uses his considerable influence to harm and control as much as he can. He is incompetent, petty, and malicious. He has acquired a ridiculous amount of power for someone who frankly appears to have done very little competent work, and relishes in using and abusing it, for the sheer sake of doing so.

I am a woman and he made it clear he found me attractive, so he created or allowed to continue a situation in which the safety of my projects was uncertain and I was forced to stay in his good favor, or risk my friends and games being retaliated against if I ever made him upset. Demonstrably, this is what happened when I finally got tired of speaking with Ben.

With men, if DE Dev is any indication, he does the exact same thing. He cajoled or threatened DE Dev alternately until he finally reached his "limit", in which he saw fit to rub DE Dev's nose in his control over him, mocking his disabilities and refusing to relinquish control over his game and profits.

I did not write about a sloppy drunk weirdo who texts dick pics to his ex and thinks slapping his balls on the bar stool and waiting for anyone to notice is funny.

I wrote about a dangerous and powerful man who has and will use his power to embezzle, cheat, and harm others by his whim.

But he stepped down from Bitsummit and DDM was removed as a sponsor! This is a win!

No, it isn't. As long as EITHER Dangen or DDM remain in influence over Bitsummit as a sponsor (currently, Dangen is still listed as one of Bitsummit's sponsors), Ben Judd's presence at Bitsummit will remain. I repeat: Dangen is literally in the same room as DDM. Not in the same office building, in the same room. The average American kitchen is farther from the bedroom than Dangen is from DDM. So long as Ben Judd is still a part of DDM, he need only turn in his chair to touch Dan Stern on his shoulder.

He has not been removed in any meaningful way. He has only been hidden and protected.

Last edited: