• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lightning

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
A thread full of people have have zero concept of just how much a single licensed track costs

Hi, I've worked on music licensing for rhythm games, and if you don't look at AAA artists, you can get tracks under $200 a pop, or hell, even indie artists wanting to let you use their music for free. Hell, just talk to Monstercat and you can get stuff licensed super easily - if a tiny team that worked on 'Just Shapes and Beats' being a team of... hell.. THREE people and a tiny budget can get them, there's no real excuse.

To not have any soundtrack at all is a freaking slap in the face, let alone with Spotify not being available everywhere and requiring a paid sub to play the tracks you want to play???

How expensive is this game again? Someone definitely screwed up their budgeting.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017
hey remember all of those fine racing games that are now unavailable legally because of music licensing issues or a complete disinterest of the publisher

games such as

blur and

project gotham and

burnout

also lol at the idea of the lack of a streaming app being unavailable in your country is a barrier for PC/console players not to listen to music while playing the game

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
It's actually pretty cool idea by concept, even if executed really oddly.

I do wish more companies would try and implement an actual workable version of this. No Premium would be a start
Many do. If you open Spotify while playing Wipeout for example, you automatically get recommended a playlist with some of the best songs of the previous games, and playing it turns off the in-game music so there's no overlap.

kaishek

Oct 30, 2017
Texas
hey remember all of those fine racing games that are now unavailable legally because of music licensing issues or a complete disinterest of the publisher

games such as

blur and

project gotham and

burnout

also lol at the idea of the lack of a streaming app being unavailable in your country is a barrier for PC/console players not to listen to music while playing the game

mad respect to da devs for cutting out basic features of racing titles, super glad we'll be able to replay this turd in the future

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island

games such as

blur and

project gotham and

burnout

I always figured it wascar licensing and not music that did blur in.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Soundtracks are a cost for every other game. Not having one is simply a cost cutting measure that doesn't benefit the consumer.

I like licensed music in racing games, but I could live with an original soundtrack. Opting out completely is a strange decision.

Stone Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
Who even needs soundtracks in games anymore when you can just make your own, amirite?

Make a game with no graphics and have people print out a TV overlay like the Odyssey while you're at it.

Oct 25, 2017
Is this the same team that did Dangerous Golf or something like that (some tech demo basically) and sold it? Or am I mistaken?

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia

It's nice to play an emulated version of a 10+ year old game available on one of the four platforms today

To be fair EA has done Revenge and SSX3 which is pretty monumental on actually pursuing the issue of music licensing, but that's still a huge portion of their extreme sports/racing products just missing

Like I can't even play Skate 2 on my Xbox One

Who even needs soundtracks in games anymore when you can just make your own, amirite?

Make a game with no graphics and have people print out a TV overlay like the Odyssey while you're at it.

Love this bullshit slippery slope argument trying to reinforce some weirdo idea that people who choose to listen to their own music instead of whatever the publisher (not the developer!!!! the publisher does this) decides to be worthy for their game are apparently in the wrong

i listen to my own music in anything that's multiplayer/competitive, it's not bad

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
Hi, I've worked on music licensing for rhythm games, and if you don't look at AAA artists, you can get tracks under $200 a pop, or hell, even indie artists wanting to let you use their music for free. Hell, just talk to Monstercat and you can get stuff licensed super easily - if a tiny team that worked on 'Just Shapes and Beats' being a team of... hell.. THREE people and a tiny budget can get them, there's no real excuse.

To not have any soundtrack at all is a freaking slap in the face, let alone with Spotify not being available everywhere and requiring a paid sub to play the tracks you want to play???

How expensive is this game again? Someone definitely screwed up their budgeting.

It's half the price of a retail game and was likely forecast to sell a small amount, so it looks exacty like someone go their budgeting correct :p

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
If they cant include a soundtrack, why not include a way to have your own custom soundtrack that isn't Spotify ? Like GTA4's custom radio.

Edit: Heck, aren't there some Free to use/license tracks available ?

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
It's actually pretty cool idea by concept, even if executed really oddly.

I do wish more companies would try and implement an actual workable version of this. No Premium would be a start

Unfortunately the Spotify API requires a Premium sub to use Spotify integrated inside a game or the like.

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
Danger Zone 1&2 from them didn't have any soundtrack and it was fine because of that. You're only driving for short periods of time. This isn't an open world game where the radio plays endlessly.

The fact they've got Spotify integration is great compared to the complete lack of music before.

But, really, you won't even care. The focus is on the smashing.

Doorakz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lol, the most important part of Burnout 3 for me was the incredible soundtrack. I still have almost every single song in my head, that made this game, partly at least.

Yeah we have Spotify and stuff, but still disappointing.

Agreed, I have a mix soundtrack of my favorite songs from Burnout 3 in my playlist

Love finding new music and this would've been a great opportunity to work with "no name" bands to help them get discovered. Better than the listen to whatever you want route! I could've done that myself if the music selection was terrible.

I recently repurchased Burnout 3 to play with my 5 year old and he's loving it.

Stone Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
Love this bullshit slippery slope argument trying to reinforce some weirdo idea that people who choose to listen to their own music instead of whatever the publisher (not the developer!!!! the publisher does this) decides to be worthy for their game are apparently in the wrong

i listen to my own music in anything that's multiplayer/competitive, it's not bad
They're not in the wrong at all. By all means, listen to whatever songs you want in whatever game you want, you do you.

Just don't pretend that this being the only option is a good thing.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Danger Zone 1&2 from them didn't have any soundtrack and it was fine because of that. You're only driving for short periods of time. This isn't an open world game where the radio plays endlessly.

The fact they've got Spotify integration is great compared to the complete lack of music before.

But, really, you won't even care. The focus is on the smashing.

I mean, yeah, I agree, it's not necessary but they're selling a game here and it hurts the game to not have at least something to hear.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
Aren't they literally like a 5-person team? Just to get something near to a modern day Burnout out there is impressive enough to me, music and frame-rate be damned.

Yes it'd be nice to have the choice of a soundtrack or not in there and tbh the Burnout series is probably the only set of racing games where I didn't just mute music from the off but I'm not going to get upset about a tiny developer having to make compromises to get their game out there.

Ethical Hedonism

Permanent ban for creating alt account to troll.
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No problem using Spotify for me since I already do that a few hours into a racing game.

Most soundtracks get stale reeeeally quick, and the ones that don't are super expensive to license.

Deleted member 25702

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
This is really clever. If they spent money on licensing a soundtrack (especially a cheap one), you'd just get people complaining they don't like the songs they picked and how they should have done something new like integrating Spotify.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
The part where they don't include their own music is an understandable decision given a stupid marketing spin.

The real stupid part is that they apparently want to give Spotify subscribers special treatment. This is especially ironic given some people talking about music licensing resulting in games being delisted and/or not pressed. It's very likely Spotify will stay afloat for foreseeable future, but API changes are incredibly likely.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
If they don't have the money for the songs, fine, but why no integrated Spotify option like Microsoft did with Forza Horizon 3 and the Microsoft music service? Sure, no big Spotify management from the game of course, but letting me choose one of my already created playlists so the game plays them natively in shuffle mode, giving you the feeling that the songs are in the game and integrated, shouldn't be too hard to do.

Deleted member 25702

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
If they don't have the money for the songs, fine, but why no integrated Spotify option like Microsoft did with Forza Horizon 3 and the Microsoft music service? Sure, no big Spotify management from the game of course, but letting me choose one of my already created playlists so the game plays them natively in shuffle mode, giving you the feeling that the songs are in the game and Integra, shouldn't be too hard to do.
They said they want to do that in the OP.

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
Man. This game is just begging for no one to play it.

No soundtrack. Bad performance. EGS exclusive.

It's not stopping me, but it's testing my patience. I can't imagine it'll struggle too badly with a 1070. Probably be the first thing I buy on EGS, and I'll just listen to the burnout 3 soundtrack while I play lol

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
The part where they don't include their own music is an understandable decision given a stupid marketing spin.

The real stupid part is that they apparently want to give Spotify subscribers special treatment. This is especially ironic given some people talking about music licensing resulting in games being delisted and/or not pressed. It's very likely Spotify will stay afloat for foreseeable future, but API changes are incredibly likely.
I don't know how it works on PC, but on PS4 you can play Spotify and just shuffle from the quick menu instead of in-game. Only problem would be the ads, but hey it'd add to the realism of playing a radio.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
From the review on gamerevolution:

If you're playing on a computer, the problems don't end there. Dangerous Driving is currently an Epic Games Store exclusive title. This usually wouldn't impact a review in any way, but the client's lack of features makes this PC release strictly inferior to its console counterparts. Since the EGS currently doesn't have achievement support, neither does Dangerous Driving. This is excusable, but the additional lack of online leaderboards is the real bummer. Not being able to compete with friends for bragging rights is killer in a single player experience all about speed. In a game this barebones, the lack of these features really stands out.

Well done Three Fields, well done.

Last edited:

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, you can live in Zimbabwe, create a Spotify Premium account with a US address / Payment
Dude shut the fuck up rofl

The fuck am I gonna go around looking for a US address and payment option for a service not supported in my country just to play some music the devs picked out? Not to mention I'd have to pay extra for the game to have a soundtrack at all.

Miss me with this disingenuous shit.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
Edit: Never mind, found it.
Adding to that, some people on the game's subreddit have been complaining a bit about performance.

From the review on gamerevolution:

If you're playing on a computer, the problems don't end there. Dangerous Driving is currently an Epic Games Store exclusive title. This usually wouldn't impact a review in any way, but the client's lack of features makes this PC release strictly inferior to its console counterparts. Since the EGS currently doesn't have achievement support, neither does Dangerous Driving. This is excusable, but the additional lack of online leaderboards is the real bummer. Not being able to compete with friends for bragging rights is killer in a single player experience all about speed. In a game this barebones, the lack of these features really stands out.

Well done Three Fields, well done.
Online is coming later though, no?

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
The "this is so lazy/cheap" comments are really disappointing

I wouldn't be surprised if Just Shapes & Beats had a bigger budget than this game. Time is money, and the Just Shapes devs were able to make their game over at least four years.

It's definitely possible. I only posted it since the user I quoted brought up price and that costs $20 vs this games $30. Which they seemed to miss.

OP
OP
Lant_War

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
AFAIK (I'm the writer of that review), online is coming to all versions of the game within the first month, but the console versions ship with leaderboards and the PC version just doesn't have them.
Oh, that's a shame. Hopefully the game does well so they can implement some stuff like that.