• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DarKaoZ

Oct 25, 2017
I want to get hype... but the game doesn't look that good, compared to Burnout 3. Maybe I'm asking too much, but they should had worked on it more before releasing it.

SuperBanana

Oct 28, 2017
Honestly, the devs desperately need to hire some proper artists. Their art and design in their games is atrocious. Burnout had style but this looks so bland and like a mobile phone game that did its best to copy it.

OP
OP
TheDutchSlayer

TheDutchSlayer

Did you find it? Cuez I didn't!
Oct 26, 2017
The Hauge, The Netherlands
From the latest GI interview the team is 7 people and they want to keep it around that team size because of budget and because Alex really does not like large teams anymore.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I was hesitant on it because Danger Zone was pretty light on content for the price, but the Giant Bomb Quick Look sold me.

Deleted member 40335

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 24, 2018
I think racing games that aren't your GTs and Forza's in todays market just don't seem to garner much hype.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Looks like old-school Burnout. Which is great! Only wish the crashes were a little more graphic. They seem a bit stunted compared to the old Burnout series. Will check it out regardless.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
I mean, this is a 7 person team making this game, with a limited budget. Criterion back was about ~100, with the backing of a huge publisher. It's unfair to expect much more.

DarKaoZ

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno where GB is getting the idea of the game being 20 dllrs. Its 40 in amazon, where is 20?

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Every game they've made so far has looked, played and generally all around been abysmal and the destruction in this is still much worse than Burnout 3 so the hype doesn't exist. Tho I guess their small team enables them to keep making bad mobile quality games, charge 30 and still exist

Poison Jam

Nov 6, 2017
It lacks the presentational value the Burnout had. You can tell it's made on a shoestring budget comparatively.

No music, uninteresting locales hidden by a metric crapton of blur... It's a decent effort, and a reasonable price that could make me bite. But it just makes me want a proper Burnout successor even more.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Really hoping some studio picks these guys up to work on something bigger, they have the right idea but just not the resources to realize their dream.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I love how the menu UI looks exactly like the Burnout games.

Might pick this up 2bh.

Designer_Fake

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I was very hyped when I heard they were making a spiritual successor to Burnout - until I saw the gameplay. It all just looks very bland and uninteresting, especially the takedown crashes, which should be this huge spectacle but really just look like you smashed two toy cars together.

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised that Jeff was so positive on the game. The driving looks floaty and twitchy and the presentation/music seems lazy.

To me, it seems like Three Fields make games that for characters on TV shows to play rather than actual players. Everything about them looks like something you'd see a kid on a CW show play cause they couldn't licence something real.

slinch

Jan 20, 2018
Reposting from the other thread, here's why I don't have hype

I think the lack of slo-mo is the lesser problem here. The biger one is the hard cut to the crash. Previous burnout games panned/zoomed to the crash:
giphy.gif

This one just cuts, which looks jarring and slightly disorienting. The cut back from the crash isn't a problem, but the hard cut to the crash is.
giphy.gif

So many takedowns look like the car was shot out from the safety barrier, giving it a kind of a pinball feel. For example:
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Also noticeable when you hit AI cars, they just bounce off of you, like they have no weight to them:
giphy.gif

When you crash, the camera angle stays the same, you just get a UI overlay. It feels uneventful:
giphy.gif

This is how B3 (and others) did it:
giphy.gif

When your car hits a side barrieer, the direction of the car changes to the final one in a single frame, making it way to immediate, snappy, unnatural. In B3, the transition took 5-10 frames.
giphy.gif

Also, not a single spark in DD, a buttload of them in B3:
giphy.gif

Some AI car animations are just ridiculous:
giphy.gif

The sound design is lacking as well, the bumps when the AI cars hit eachother sound like banging on an empty bucket:
https://loopvideos.com/-tfikU-HjnY?from=24&to=26

Primarily, what it boils down to: physics. The weight, the grip, the contact, the crashes, it just isn't it.

I will still buy the game, solely to support the devs, as I want even a possibility of a Burnout successor that the franchise deserves. But from what we've seen so far, this feels, as much as it hurts to say it, more like a Chinese knock off than a true spiritual successor. It's similar, but lacking in all the important areas. I love the permanent crashes mechanic though. Awesome addition.

rinzler

Banned
Apr 5, 2019
Any word on this having the crash zone thing that Burnout 3 did? I enjoyed the racing a ton but more than that I loved the crash scenarios and racking up as much damage as possible. I'd be on board if it has this but if not I don't feel a need to buy it.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
Pre-ordered it yesterday.

I was going to anyway but Jeff from Giantbomb saying that he likes it after how down they all were on previous games pushed me over edge.

Deleted member 20471

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Burnout 3 is one of my favorite games of all time but the more gameplay videos I see, the more it looks cheap :(

slinch

Jan 20, 2018
For what it's worth, the gif in the OP does not hard cut to the crash.

Interesting, because that gif still features the old UI so they... improved the UI but worsened the animations? Very interested to see how many of these details will be addressed in the day 1 patch.

so1337

Oct 28, 2017
Interesting, because that gif still features the old UI so they... improved the UI but worsened the animations? Very interested to see how many of these details will be addressed in the day 1 patch.
It's possible they pulled the animations out because they weren't working quite right. UI is more straightforward in comparison.

Ducarmel

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know

I love the burnout series, but looking at the video it just looks dated to me. Paradise is probably my favorite and if it does not improve on that or do something new different, this is easily a skip.

Ge0force

Self-requested ban.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
Epic Store exclusivity killed the hype for me. Not buying any games involved in exclusivity deals on pc.

Dec 20, 2018
It was on my day 1 list till they said no online at launch. Also I know it's a small team but it's hard not not to notice how jank it looks compared to B3 and Revenge. Not the same type of racer but even Asphalt 9 doesn't look that janky

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
This isn't "Burnout 3" this is all the pre-Paradise Burnouts mixed into one.

Really hoping some studio picks these guys up to work on something bigger, they have the right idea but just not the resources to realize their dream.
not happening:
From the latest GI interview the team is 7 people and they want to keep it around that team size because of budget and because Alex really does not like large teams anymore.

Burnout 3 is one of my favorite games of all time but the more gameplay videos I see, the more it looks cheap :(
it's a 7 person team made up of former Burnout devs. ...