• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
I'm pretty sure this is already understood?

looks like im posting too early, my bad lol

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
I think, too, as I said before in another thread - this attempt at raising prices to me confirms these games will be exclusives. Accessibility doesn't matter to them really. They care about making money. And locking these IP behind their ecosystem will do that.

Deleted member 86306

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 20, 2020
Reads to me like it isn't quite working as expected. Will be intetesting to see the subscriber numbers...

Last edited:

christocolus

Oct 27, 2017
Nice. Xbox still needs a Jrpg dev and maybe a couple more to tackle genres they're still lacking in. should be a good year though.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
They're basically what Netflix was 3-4 years ago.

If their studios start to output exclusive content they'll start scaling and will eventually go without outside funding (Netflix for example will achieve that for the first time this year).

Regular content is the key and imo Phil understands this

strife85

Oct 30, 2017
Hate how everything has to be acquired now. In the ps1/ps2 era sony could have bought many due to dominance, but they didn't. Same for Nintendo in some gens.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
They're basically what Netflix was 3-4 years ago.

If their studios start to output exclusive content they'll start scaling and will eventually go without outside funding (Netflix for example will achieve that for the first time this year).

Regular content is the key and imo Phil understands this

Things is it going to be much harder for GP to grow like Netflix .
Gaming is very different than watching TVshows\movies .

Biggzy

Oct 27, 2017
Daniel Ahmad confirming what many assumed and this was to strong arm Gold subscribers to subscribe to Gamepass instead. It was a very crude way to go about it and obviously many people called out MS for their bullshit.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
I just feel like both he and Microsoft misunderstood how many people are signed up for Live because they -have to- be for the sake of playing Madden, COD etc. A lot of these people have zero interest in ever considering gamepass and effectively doubling the price of the service they were content with before was just a really dumb idea. They aren't going to look at Gamepass as a better value proposition just because Live is suddenly more money, they're going to be pissed that the service they were paying for doubled in price for absolutely no reason.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hate how everything has to be acquired now. In the ps1/ps2 era sony could have bought many due to dominance, but they didn't. Same for Nintendo in some gens.

Well they just don't have the content that Sony/Nintendo do.

It took those two many years of building to get to that level though.

Acquisitions are a quicker and easier solution.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hope that they don't succeed in any more big publisher acquisitions.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Things is it going to be much harder for GP to grow like Netflix .
Gaming is very different that watching TVshows\movies .
You're right, gaming is different. It is bigger than TV shows/movies.

Their plan is not to limit themselves to consoles. Their plan is to give you gamepass/xcloud on every device available.

VeePs

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

Sony did buy studios.

But at the end of the day Microsoft's goal is different than Nintendo and Sonys.

Microsoft is trying to push subscription sales. They need content for that. So they need studios. Paying $$$ to third parties for content for one year isn't enough. They need more studios for more content - because people can drop their subscription at any time. A steady flow of content is needed.

Meanwhile Sony and Nintendo are trying to push console sales. That's why things like funding third parties, timed exclusive games, and first party games all play an important role.

KamenSenshi

Nov 27, 2017
Agreed. It mainly seems to be Microsoft going all in on it right now though. If only they made more games with the teams they have. I've seen other people/devs comment that they seem oddly managed, which makes sense I guess. It's just sobering that with all the man power they have they have very little to show for it and instead resort to buying more companies. Not a fan of all the acquisitions at all.

Deleted member 46804

Banned
Aug 17, 2018
I think, too, as I said before in another thread - this attempt at raising prices to me confirms these games will be exclusives. Accessibility doesn't matter to them really. They care about making money. And locking these IP behind their ecosystem will do that.
Their exclusives only go to other consoles if their console/streaming business dies.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
cant wait for gaming to have its own streaming service exclusive hell.
It was going to happen some day whether we like it or not, tbh it's been happening since day 1 in gaming.

What's the difference in having to buy a PlayStation vs an Xbox for a game or having to subscribe to Netflix or Hulu for a show.

Never thought about until now but the terrible future we got with TV/Movies has always been here for gaming, the only difference now is that it's actually cheaper and easier to enjoy it all because of streaming tech.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Why not simply turning GPU into Gold, like, "we're getting rid of the single Gold tier, we lower the price of GPU to the price that Gold has and integrate all current Gold user into GPU automatically"?

Wouldn't that easily reach their goal and give them an outstanding marketing push on top?

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Why not simply turning GPU into Gold, like, "we're getting rid of the single Gold tier, we lower the price of GPU to the price that Gold has and integrate all current Gold user into GPU automatically"?

Wouldn't that easily reach their goal and give them an outstanding marketing push on top?
They will eventually do that imo but at the moment gold is basically subsidizing GP

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
15m users was at the end of last quarter, right? I'm betting they'll announce at least 20m next week.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
Didn't Sony buy almost all of their studios? Yeah they grew them over all over a decade but let's not pretend their any different to any other corporation. I'd argue there just as responsible for "exclusive" wars as Microsoft. They choose to buy 3rd party stuff, Microsoft just makes the whole thing first party. It's terrible both ways.

They bought Bend, Naughty Dog, Media Molecule, Insomniac, Evolution, and more.

Last edited:

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
You're right, gaming is different. It is bigger than TV shows/movies.

Their plan is not to limit themselves to consoles. Their plan is to give you gamepass/xcloud on every device available.

I am talking about people habits when it comes to gaming .
Yes gaming makes more money than TV\Movies but a huge part of that is from F2P.
Some people don't care about how many games a service has when they can play F2P games for years .
Like one game can last for many years , Tv\movie content just not the same when it come to eating up time or how it done .

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
Just a suggestion but when reply-tweets bring in the parent you could cut down on the total number of tweets in the OP.

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
It makes sense for xbox to buy since they internal devs arent as talented as sony and nintendo but when are these games from their bought studios gonna release? They should wait for a confirmed time table before going all in price increase for live or gamepass.

Deleted member 12352

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Removing barriers to entry" seems like a goal that is entirely at odds with not only charging for online multiplayer on top of the cost of a gamepass sub but also trying to massively increase the price of said charge. That sounds to me like there are some barriers they'd gladly make bigger if they could get away with it.

Also, no thanks to more of their acquisition bollocks.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
In my country we cant purchase a year of gold and the price of the monthly suscription is only a 70% of ultimate

A friend still doesnt want to upgrade because he wants to own the games physically

JershJopstin

Oct 25, 2017
I just feel like both he and Microsoft misunderstood how many people are signed up for Live because they -have to- be for the sake of playing Madden, COD etc. A lot of these people have zero interest in ever considering gamepass and effectively doubling the price of the service they were content with before was just a really dumb idea. They aren't going to look at Gamepass as a better value proposition just because Live is suddenly more money, they're going to be pissed that the service they were paying for doubled in price for absolutely no reason.
I could see this. Gamepass Ultimate is a good deal if you buy 3 games a year, and those people might not even do that; I don't believe Madden and COD are even on Gamepass day 1 either.

Status
Not open for further replies.