• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Xonebros

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
User Banned (Permanent): Trolling on first post, use of inflammatory pejorative.
This thread is dumb.... yet here i am.... SJW's got me again #dammit

PetrCobra

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know what to say to this other than, you must think he's really, really dumb. People call him a nazi because on twitter he's at best two degrees of separation from avowed neo-nazis and white supremacists. If you're repeatedly and enthusiastically affiliating with that shit in public, you shouldn't expect to get the benefit of the doubt.
You know, all things considered, I'm actually willing to believe that in a way, he really is very, very dumb like that. Intelligence, which he clearly doesn't lack completely, is different from ability to critically consider sources without personal bias, or even navigating social networks in ways that promote discussion, instead of hammering his opinions ever deeper into the ground.
From following his rants in his mother language (that takes away some of the noise coming from his inability to express himself correctly in English), I wouldn't actually be surprised by a hypothetical scenario like the following: him having strongly anti-racist views (let's just propose this for the sake of this example - can't really say I'm convinced about this actually), sharing and promoting a racist article just because it seems to confirm some obscure theory of his, while being proud of himself that he's able to put aside his convictions in order to take something away from a work by someone he disagrees with. My point is that if you look at this example and see the flaws in thinking that the protagonist missed completely, that's how I see Vavra. You said dumb, I think that's a pretty accurate word.

Chumley

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Vavra is a lying scumbag. He's not just dumb.

Onebadlion

Oct 27, 2017
Having played it, I didn't see any propaganda whatsoever. It's no more problematic than Skyrim in my opinion. I've yet to see anyone prove there is any offensive content in the game, or at least anything more offensive than most games.

Whatever you think of him, the game isn't a celebration of gamergate fuckery at all.

Francesco

Nov 22, 2017
He's probably not the best person to come out and comment on it.
Should have brought out the other writers.

Qassim

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Having played it, I didn't see any propaganda whatsoever. It's no more problematic than Skyrim in my opinion. I've yet to see anyone prove there is any offensive content in the game, or at least anything more offensive than most games.

Whatever you think of him, the game isn't a celebration of gamergate fuckery at all.

This is pretty much my view on it. I didn't have a clue who made this game before I bought and played it, had no idea what the opinions of a particular person who worked on this game were, and nothing stood out as an attempt to push any particular political views.

Raven117

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is pretty much my view on it. I didn't have a clue who made this game before I bought and played it, had no idea what the opinions of a particular person who worked on this game were, and nothing stood out as an attempt to push any particular political views.
As I stated, same. There are just some folks who dislike the guy's (awful) politics, and that's that.

There is no defending the guy really, but IMO, it doesn't matter. I separate the artist from the art, and judge it accordingly. Obviously, if he was doing something insane like funding hitler youth rallies, that would be one thing. But as far as I can tell, he is just a shithead. A shithead that made an interesting game to me. So I bought it.

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Discussion about this game has been brought to such a tiny scope that it seems people are taken to believe that Vavra is all that's negative about it, and so of course that's something small and easy to deflect. But matters of representation not just of people of color, but e.g. of masculinity and women as well (which made the bulk of the criticisms i saw after its release), can't be seen through the perspective of a single person. These issues are systematic, they are sustained by the action and inaction of group dynamics.

Chumley

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
As I stated, same. There are just some folks who dislike the guy's (awful) politics, and that's that.

There is no defending the guy really, but IMO, it doesn't matter. I separate the artist from the art, and judge it accordingly. Obviously, if he was doing something insane like funding hitler youth rallies, that would be one thing. But as far as I can tell, he is just a shithead. A shithead that made an interesting game to me. So I bought it.

I bought it on cdkeys and regret it. There's nothing particularly good about it aside from the visuals.

Raven117

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I bought it on cdkeys and regret it. There's nothing particularly good about it aside from the visuals.
Thanks for your opinion, I disagree.

I found it unique, some quests entertaining, and the combat had some interesting ideas in it. There are some good ideas in there, but man, the game on ps4 feels about one second from crashing on you at all times.

Valkyr1983

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NH, United States
I just want to say that I appreciate your posts. I think a lot of people will see you showing up in every tangentially-related thread, mentioning how much you like scantily-clad women characters, or downplaying racist viewpoints/actions of industry people, or stuff like this, whenever the tone is remotely progressive:

and see it as trolling, when it's clear that you just want games to be judged on their own, in a vacuu-

Oh.

Well, thank you

Always nice to have your posts appreciated

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I just want to say that I appreciate your posts. I think a lot of people will see you showing up in every tangentially-related thread, mentioning how much you like scantily-clad women characters, or downplaying racist viewpoints/actions of industry people, or stuff like this, whenever the tone is remotely progressive:

and see it as trolling, when it's clear that you just want games to be judged on their own, in a vacuu-

Oh.

...wait, isn't that the guy who feels like their masculinity is threatened when they play girl games?

Life is Strange

Was cringey to play that as a guy

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
I've been tempted to buy this game many many times, but then I remember the shirt that Vavra wore and tweeted about once and all desire flies out the window.
...wait, isn't that the guy who feels like their masculinity is threatened when they play girl games?
.....what? That can't be real.

Valkyr1983

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
NH, United States

I wouldn't say threatened

More like it felt cringey to play as a lame teenage girl and her edgy tryhard fake-punk friend, combined with all the hipster music and stuff it just didn't click. Not to mention the countless old memes and attempts at humor that felt like an old person doing the "well hello how do you do fellow kids" routine

It's ok though I wouldn't say LIS is necessarily a bad game, just felt cringey to play, if I'm being honest

Not really related to KCD though

Feb 16, 2018
The creative director (Vavra) public declarations and political stances, how he mistaken his personal opinions with corporate advertising while being horribly prententious about his game. The game controversy is how clunky and bugged the game is and the amateurism of the technical support since the release.
Thanks, sounds very unprofessional overall for a company especially a creative director.