• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Ni No Kuni 2: Revenant Kingdom marks the sequel to a franchise that started on the PS3, and fans are mixed on it.

However, a game where reception is decidedly not mixed is Dark Cloud 2 for the Playstation 2.

thumb-1920-698618.jpg

Released in 2003, Dark Cloud 2 was an action RPG and the sequel to the first Dark Cloud. Also called "Dark Chronicle", the game allowed the player to embark on a journey of discovery to repair the bonds of time between past and present.

In the game, you play as a young man who loves to tinker. My memory is fuzzy since I last played this game more than a decade ago, but nearest I can remember, you love to build things. You can build weapons, machines, and other things. In the game, you can walk around snapping photos of the things you see to help you tinker.

The game's main gameplay is divided into two parts: combat and georama. The combat system was a basic dungeon crawler in which you explored floors in order to defeat all the enemies or collect an item. I don't remember whether these floors were timed or if there were some other special conditions for them, but I do know the monsters tended to get tougher as you ventured further into the dungeon.

Dark-Cloud-2-620x330.jpg

In the dungeons, you could collect items to use in the other part of the game, which was the georama system. In the georama system, you were usually tasked with rebuilding a colony from scratch. A farm, a research facility, something that had been wiped off the face of the earth by the main antagonist of the game. To do this you needed to gather resources from battles, item shops, and other places in order to restore the worlds you visited. As you placed a building, you could give it a resident. Placing buildings and residents in their ideal place earned you points which were needed to advance the story. Doing this completely was a challenge for advanced players.

TV2008042423535400.jpg

There was also a game of mini-golf which I believe was called sphaeda. I can't for the life of me remember the purpose of this but I enjoyed it.

Anyway, the concepts of resource management and combat were married extremely well because you were given an incentive to collect things which made the combat easier. In turn, the combat and exploration were how you collected things. Many games create secondary gameplay types that don't necessarily serve the main quest all that well, but Dark Cloud 2 is an exception for sure.

Overall, the gameplay is not too challenging but is interesting enough to overcome the lack of challenge. You always have something to do.

The game is well presented for an early 2000s Playstation 2 game, with colorful cartoon-like graphics. It has one of my favorite soundtracks from that era.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zi_3dC8PU8Y&list=PL3tPDwvv7zc0uYKgRSvuwub3HtLwJLwOR&index=12

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWfeVEZQMFM&index=32&list=PL3tPDwvv7zc0uYKgRSvuwub3HtLwJLwOR

This game is available for multiple systems today so chances are you have a way to play it. I doubt we'll ever see a sequel to it since Sony owns the rights to the franchise and Level 5 has other plans.

For me, this game cemented Level 5 as a developer that understands how RPGs can be accessible. I had the worst trouble ever getting into JRPGs during the PS1 and PS2 because of all the reading or quirky gameplay systems. However, none of L5's games (even the not so great ones) are like that.

Dark Cloud 2 happens to be great and accessible, and for that, it's my favorite of Level 5's games, right next to Dragon Quest 8.

TheBeardedOne

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Derry
I remember being so excited for Dark Cloud's release. I didn't have many PS2 games and had been reading about it in PlayStation Magazines. Then I bought it on release day, played it a lot, got stuck or sidetracked and never did finish it. It's been one of my regrets. That and not playing the second one.

UltimusXI

Oct 27, 2017
Haha, awesome! Loved Penny-Arcade back in the day and loved Dark Chronicle, but never saw this comic, great one.

Recently replayed the PS4 version: still a great game, loved every minute of it. The music is great, the graphics still hold up and though I usually don't really like action RPG's, this one did click with me. Also, fishing and crafting were great.

I also love the relative simplicity of the story without anime clichés, which unfortunately is so rare in JRPG's nowadays.

I also loved Ni no Kuni by the way, still have to play NNK2. Impressions are mixed, but then again, so were the impressions of NNK1, so I hope I'll still enjoy it a lot. Biggest downside to me in NNK1 was its length, it dragged on too long in the end.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
I wish there is a remaster/remake of the Dark Cloud games as I never got the chance to play them.

It's my favourite game of the PS2 era and I'm devastated that Level5 even wanted to make a sequel, but the IP seems to be stuck in Sony limbo.

Offtopic (?), but I'm loving NNK2 so far.
Yeah NNK2 is awesome and I would love for this franchise to continue.

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
It is in my backlog. Bought it for Christmas, got access to a robot, it ran out of fuel, I died. Haven't picked it up since.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
WHERE IS DARK CLOUD 3?!

Yes, I loved playing it originally and then playing it again when it was released on PS4.

UltimusXI

Oct 27, 2017
I wish there is a remaster/remake of the Dark Cloud games as I never got the chance to play them.
Although it does look a bit dated, I don't think a remaster / remake of Dark Cloud 2 is worth it. The PS4 version looks good enough as is because of the art style and the gameplay doesn't really need any changes imo.

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Always kinda mixed on the dungeon crawling part, but I really liked the georama / rebuilding towns part. The second game is a huge improvement over the first game though. I really should replay this sometime, it's been a few years.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
I love both Dark Cloud games. I prefer the first one, just because I think the second one has too much bloat, but I really do love them both and I hope for the day that we see a third one.

Bhonar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Dark Cloud 2 was absolutely one of the best RPGs of that generation. Awesome fun game

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Am I the only one who greatly prefers the first game? The simplicity of 1 along with the art style of 2 just made me like the original experience more.

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I love both of the Dark Cloud games and they will always hold a special place in my heart

RazielCr_

Oct 27, 2017
I have very fond memories of this game.

The setting, the music, the art style, everything... even the gameplay being so simple, but with some cool mechanics behind it, like how you could craft and level up your weapons and characters, the ridepot, and the monsters that Monica was able to transform into... and of course being able to take photos from all places so you could come up with some ideas for inventing items and stuff. Playing minigames and building towns were also great additions overall.

This is probably my favourite ps2 game. I played the game to death back in the day and got it for my ps4 too.

How i wish sony could consider making a third game in the series.

Oleander

Oct 25, 2017
It was as good in 2016 as it was in 2003. Really love this game, and especially the Georama system. An ageless cel-shaded art style and a superb soundtrack. I found levelling two characters a bit of a pain, and the invention system is too oblique without a guide, but it's a game where it's easy to overlook the flaws.

If only there was a Dark Cloud 3 to further improve the formula to something closer to perfection.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
It's a great game. Never finished it. Played it twice to the last dungeon and then just stopped. I don't know why. I need to finish this. I still have my savegame on PS2.

SliceSabre

Oct 25, 2017
This is easily my favorite game on the PS2. I was one of the fools heartbroken that Dark Cloud 3 never became a three.

NO ROGUE GALAXY IS NOT DARK CLOUD 3 SHUT UP

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
I platinumed Dark Cloud 1 awhile ago, once i get enough free time I really want to give Dark Cloud 2 a spin, never played it before but I hear it's better than 1 and I really liked 1.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
I remember dropping this game because it was bullshit how you were actually forced to do the minigames at some point, and the "do sim city stuff and back to the first town to recruit people" loop was really tiring.

The combat was fun, the time travel concept was really nice, and the minigames weren't exactly bad, but it's offensive how you're forced to do them.

Still 1000x better than Garbage Galaxy.

Oct 26, 2017
One of my all time favourites.
I find this game incredibly relaxing to play, the sedate, measured pace may put some off, but I like it. The story is hardly deep or complex, but I feel that's in it's favour.

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
I platinumed Dark Cloud 1 awhile ago, once i get enough free time I really want to give Dark Cloud 2 a spin, never played it before but I hear it's better than 1 and I really liked 1.

Dark Cloud 2 fixes a lot of Dark Cloud 1's issues

• They removed the water system
  • Since it focuses only on 2 characters instead of 5, the 2 main characters are = in importance
  • More minigames
  • Fishing
  • Character clothes customisation
  • A hub town
  • And more
I remember dropping this game because it was bullshit how you were actually forced to do the minigames at some point, and the "do sim city stuff and back to the first town to recruit people" loop was really tiring.

The combat was fun, the time travel concept was really nice, and the minigames weren't exactly bad, but it's offensive how you're forced to do them.

Still 1000x better than Garbage Galaxy.

We can't be friends.

Nov 1, 2017
FL, United States
I had a blast with this game, and DC 1 will always hold a special place in my heart. Loved the city building aspects of the first. I never got far enough when the sequel came out to retain any memories of it.

Vault

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Still Level 5s best non Dragon Quest game.

Is the PS4 version a good port?

Ramiss

Jan 5, 2018
Is it worth revisiting on PS4 as its available as a PS2 classic. I revisited Rouge Galaxy and did enjoy it. Brought back alot of good memories.

Jiraiza

Oct 25, 2017
The music for this game was top notch. And the whole city building aspect was super fun.

Dark Cloud 3 when?

DrazilKaj

Oct 25, 2017
DC2 was good, but I felt a lot was lost between the first and second games. Dark Chronicle I felt was too 'dumbed down' for my taste, and this can be seen in some of the cringy lines of dialogue and interactions with other NPCs. This was also definitely a case of 'it gets better 40 hours in' as the pacing of the story is all over the place. Also, Spheda is freaking torture. Nevertheless, I'm excited for a possible DC3 if they don't make the same mistakes as its predecessor.

Dance Inferno

Oct 29, 2017
There are games that define your childhood, and Dark Souls 2 is mine. I remember it was an honest-to-goodness addiction, taking photos of items, building my cities, going back and forth through time to figure out the optimal way to build them, golfing in every dungeon, etc. Man, what a game.

Eventually my save was deleted and I never managed to finish it.

It makes me curious about NNK2 though, which seems pretty similar in a lot of respects. Guess I should watch some reviews.

SaberX85

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, my top 3 games of all time. Finished it in ps2 and platinumed it on ps4, that golf mini game was hell.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
One of the best and few JRPGs I loved

Its nostalgic and makes me remember being a kid. The music is also extremely underrated/overlooked

I still want a sequel

Oct 25, 2017
Mementos
Rented the game one time and couldn't figure out how to get the boss to show up. I really want to play this game properly sometime along with the first one.

Deleted member 4970

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My all-time favorite game. Anytime I think about it, I straight up get goosebumps. It is the absolute complete package.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I like the game so much and find it so satisfying to see the future towns that I can forgive how long the dungeons are, the future vennicio look great.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Never played this game. Curiously, I had a few queries:

1. Is playing DC1 a requisite to fully understand the sequel ?
2. Does the game sport any kind of optional quest and if so then
3. How long is the game on average for someone interested in doing some of the side quests?

SaberX85

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Never played this game. Curiously, I had a few queries:

1. Is playing DC1 a requisite to fully understand the sequel ?
2. Does the game sport any kind of optional quest and if so then
3. How long is the game on average for someone interested in doing some of the side quests?
1. No, you can only fight dc 1 final boss as hidden boss in dc2

2. Yes, i think this game has the most sidequests in any game i played

3. Around 50-70 hours, i platinumed the game in 120 hours