• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Wispmetas

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So this is still just one volume? Or is this first hardcover collecting the first 3 berserk volumes?

HyperFerret

Oct 25, 2017
After reading Berserk digitally for years I think I can finally own physical. I love me some hardcovers!

hank_tree

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't trust that we will get all the volumes. I don't want to be left with a half complete set.

Last edited:

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I don't trust that we will get all the volumes. I don't to be left with a half complete set.
This. Darkhorse is better than most and at least this isn't like a superhero series that gets rebooted often, but I have so many comics I collected in omnibus form to look good on the shelf, and then they never complete it, or they change the trade dress, or they start over, or whatever.

Do we know the extras, or is this just literally the contents of the three softcover volumes put together and blown up?

OP
OP
HStallion

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This. Darkhorse is better than most and at least this isn't like a superhero series that gets rebooted often, but I have so many comics I collected in omnibus form to look good on the shelf, and then they never complete it, or they change the trade dress, or they start over, or whatever.

Do we know the extras, or is this just literally the contents of the three softcover volumes put together and blown up?

If you pre order Miura will spit onto the last page of the volume.

Deleted member 9479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

It is listed at 696 pages which is just shy of the total for volume 1-3. So there are some chaff filler pages they were able to drop. I'm not expecting anything in the way of extras.

But Berserk is one of those books, maybe not so much in the early volumes but definitely later, that benefits so much from a larger size. For the price especially at discounted prices, that's enough of an extra for me.

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It is listed at 696 pages which is just shy of the total for volume 1-3. So there are some chaff filler pages they were able to drop. I'm not expecting anything in the way of extras.

But Berserk is one of those books, maybe not so much in the early volumes but definitely later, that benefits so much from a larger size. For the price especially at discounted prices, that's enough of an extra for me.
27 for three volumes at this paper size honestly seems like a steal

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This would be my big worry if I was getting the new deluxe editions. I was interested in picking up Dark Horse's omnibus releases for Oh! My Goddess only to find out they quietly cancelled the series after the sixth volume. :/
They always seem to cancel the series I'm most interested in. Still waiting on a way to get some Eden: It's an Endless World volumes. Some of them are pricey.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
I mean, Berserk's never going to finish anyway so it's only par for the course that this edition doesn't either haha

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Need this. I have the first 25 or so volumes in Japanese from back when that's all there was and haven't had it in me to rebuy in English. This is the perfect excuse.

Aadiboy

Nov 4, 2017
Man, I want to get into the Berserk manga but I don't know whether I should buy the hardcover or the softcover versions...

The hardcover is more premium, but I feel like I can really dig into a softcover book without worrying as much about damaging it, you know?

OP
OP
HStallion

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I want to get into the Berserk manga but I don't know whether I should buy the hardcover or the softcover versions...

The hardcover is more premium, but I feel like I can really dig into a softcover book without worrying as much about damaging it, you know?

It's available digitally as well

Nappuccino

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think they even keep all of Berserk in print.
They do weird print runs where they'll do like 7, 19, And 23. Which makes some sense. They want to focus on new books which will have the largest print runs, and if they only reprint the lowest stocked issues, they can keep a semi-decent cycle going. Nothing out of print for too long and not a log of books sitting at a distributor costing DH money.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
These collections never get finished. Sales just drop, slow releases, they eventually keep delaying and then cancelled quietly
Like which ones? There might be some out there but I've never wanted to get these collection editions of a manga and come across this problem.

If plenty of lesser known mangas get finished, then there's no way Berserk (one of the most popular mangas ever) won't finish.

Deleted member 9479

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Like which ones? There might be some out there but I've never wanted to get these collection editions of a manga and come across this problem.

If plenty of lesser known mangas get finished, then there's no way Berserk (one of the most popular mangas ever) won't finish.

Yeah I'm confused as well. My problem is usually *I* end up not finishing them haha.