• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
https://www.cbr.com/dark-phoenix-tracking-low-x-men-franchise/

Long range forecasts indicate Dark Phoenix will likely open with the lowest take in the history of Fox's X-Men franchise.

According to Box Office Pro, the film will take in between $40 and $55 million in its first weekend domestically. Although these numbers could end up proving inaccurate, that puts Dark Phoenix at a high risk of having the worst opening weekend of any film in the franchise.

Currently, the lowest two grossing opening weekends for films in the franchise are 2013's The Wolverine, with $53 million, and 2000's X-Men, with $54 million. Both of those numbers are below $55 million, but taking inflation into account provides a different tale. When inflation is calculated, The Wolverine earned the equivalent of $57.9 million and X-Men earned a strong $80.4 million. This means Dark Phoenix would actually have to overperform in order to beat those two films in an apples-to-apples comparison.

All good things...

Raxus

Oct 26, 2017
I stopped paying attention to this series ages ago. Disney sending all the franchise to die for the inevitable reboot won't help.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I would say I feel sorry for Fox going out so pathetically, but they dug this grave themselves by giving Kinberg total control over the X-Franchise.

It would've been way better if Deadpool 2 was the end of the Fox X-Men universe.

sephghast

Oct 25, 2017
Apocalypse was dismal. One of my least favorite comic movies in a long time and arguably worse than X3.

May 10, 2018
About what I expected. 2 release date changes and general lack of hype. Comes out a week after Godzilla, same week as secret life of pets and 2 weeks before Toy Story.

Oct 29, 2017
The Wolverine was actually a pretty good movie, even with the bizarre third act. Better than Apocalypse and what looks like Dark Phoenix.

Sain

Nov 13, 2017
The last movie was really bad and Sophie Turner is not a big draw. This can't be all that surprising.

luca

Oct 25, 2017
To think Fox hired Sophie Turner because of her higher social media follower number. That won't translate to the BO at all.

Bronx-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who's gonna pay to see a movie where you know none of it matters because this entire world and cast will be rebooted anyway?

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Not that it will make a world of difference, but taking X-Men out of the title was a truly baffling move.

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I was in AWE of just how horrid Apocalypse was. Tremendously awful-but I still recommend seeing it just you can witness how horrible it is.
Dalek my man, you don't like for Villains to spned a 1/3rd of the movie literally standing around?

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
Maybe with the eventual Marvel/Disney reboot Kinberg will get a third crack at fucking up the Dark Phoenix story.

RR30

Oct 22, 2018
I can't believe we went from Days of Future Past which is one of the absolute best comic book movies imo to Apocalypse and now this seeming disaster. What a sad and terrible way for it to go out under Fox.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
So, this is shaping up to be a textbook example of "going out with a whimper"?

EN1GMA

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
DoFP opened to 90.8M and Apocalypse opened to 65.8M. Not surprising that this would take another big hit.

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

Miles X

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They really going to release this movie in theater huh?
My only guess is, as others have said here, they're contractually obliged to.

I'm guessing it gets next to no marketing and Disney will want it to do bad.

And don't say "Disney will want to make money back". If they make a loss it probably won't be huge.

Deleted member 17658

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dalek my man, you don't like for Villains to spned a 1/3rd of the movie literally standing around?
Who wouldn't want to see a movie where Apocalypse and his horse(wo)men are in a warehouse while Apocalypse waves his magic hand on them like jesus to design their costumes. Should of went further with that scene with Apocalypse being a conflicted costume designer constantly being conflicted about the color of the suits while finding the right tones that matched their eyes.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Not shocked at all.

1. It's going to suck.
2. The movie is going to be entirely inconsequential, as everybody knows that Disney is rebooting the X-Men as soon as they can shove them into the MCU.

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
Dark Phoenix is going to be the lowest grossing X-Men movie until New Mutants comes out.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Apocalypse was dismal. One of my least favorite comic movies in a long time and arguably worse than X3.

It just might be worse than X3. It's crazy to think.

Still, Fox has two of the best films in the genre and one of the only three "masterpiece films" in all of comic book cinema, so there you go. They did alright.

People here talk like they churned out nothing but pure shit and it's pretty fucking baffling.