• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rvaan

Oct 25, 2017
c2tc1j6qgjw9ow20hwn8
CM's domestic gross might be higher than DaP's total gross. Carol won.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
It just might be worse than X3. It's crazy to think.

Still, Fox has two of the best films in the genre and one of the only three "masterpiece films" in all of comic book cinema, so there you go. They did alright.

People here talk like they churned out nothing but pure shit and it's pretty fucking baffling.

They never made a good X-Men movie, and by that I mean a movie that did justice to the source material. Logan is a Wolverine movie. I'm talking about an ensemble movie about the actual X-Men.

Oct 29, 2017
Hopefully Marvel succeed in returning the X-Men franchise to commercial and critical success.

Such a shame after Logan being one of the best superhero flicks made.

Not a massive fan of Deadpool, personally, think it's good but don't love it like some seem to.

SolidChamp

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They never made a good X-Men movie, and by that I mean a movie that did justice to the source material. Logan is a Wolverine movie. I'm talking about an ensemble movie about the actual X-Men.

DoFP is an excellent film, as much as it pains me to say such a thing about a Bryan Singer work.

Just because it isn't a faithful translation of the comic panels doesn't mean there hasn't been a good X-Men film.

People literally want an MCU envisioned X-Men film, and they forget that the first couple X-Men and Spider-man films pioneered this shit without needing to be 1:1 adaptations.

People wanted the 90's era cartoon X-Men in a live action film and that shit just wasn't ready for prime time. I appreciate what Singer (*shudder*) was going for with a more grounded, "what if" scenario with strong thematic relevance. It worked for several of these films and there have been more hits than misses, in my view.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I saw the trailer this weekend at the theaters and it looked like shit

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Box Office Mojo has the 2000 X-Men opening weekend at $91 million when adjusted for 2019 inflation. But I think Dark Phoenix has a shot to be the first in the X-Men series to not reach $100 million domestic, especially if it ends up being as bad as initial test screenings have said it is.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
IMO, X1 > X2 > First Class > Logan > Deadpool > Deadpool 2 > DoFP > The Wolverine > Apocalypse > Origins > X3

They've always been my favorite comic, so it's been really rough seeing how much they keep botching it.
And odd that Deadpool did it so much better. (I'm still bitter about Jubilee constantly getting shafted, especially in Apocalypse, when you had this great actress and everything, then... nada.)

Oct 30, 2017
Even 40-50 million still seems high. Nothing about this movie seems remotely entertaining. I've never seen a worse opening to a trailer than Sansa Stark's hamfisted crying "Wha-wha-why did you m-make m-me do that?"

Simple Jack can deliver a line better than that.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Deadpool though. Granted they had to be forced into doing that.

Which is precisely why I don't count it.

It's emblematic of their entire run; they're out of touch with what fans wanted. Deadpool only works cause they had fuck all to do with it.

It's like crediting Sony with Homecoming.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Probably a blessing in disguise for Saoirse Ronan to not get in on this franchise in its dying days.
On this same note, originally the role of Storm was between Zendaya (now MJ in the MCU Spiderman films) and Alexandra Shipp (the current Fox Storm). At the time i'm sure Zendaya was disappointed but I bet she's not anymore.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
DoFP is an excellent film, as much as it pains me to say such a thing about a Bryan Singer work.

Just because it isn't a faithful translation of the comic panels doesn't mean there hasn't been a good X-Men film.

People literally want an MCU envisioned X-Men film, and they forget that the first couple X-Men and Spider-man films pioneered this shit without needing to be 1:1 adaptations.

People wanted the 90's era cartoon X-Men in a live action film and that shit just wasn't ready for prime time. I appreciate what Singer (*shudder*) was going for with a more grounded, "what if" scenario with strong thematic relevance. It worked for several of these films and there have been more hits than misses, in my view.

Call it whatever you want, it's not a good X-men movie.

I want one great movie with an actual lineup of X-men that actually respects the characters and source material. Not 100% translation, just basic respect.

A few more years and I'll get one.

OP
OP
Slayven

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
On this same note, originally the role of Storm was between Zendaya (now MJ in the MCU Spiderman films) and Alexandra Shipp (the current Fox Storm). At the time i'm sure Zendaya was disappointed but I bet she's not anymore.
I love a good reverse Eric Stoltz/Micheal J Fox story

twentytwo22

Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely loved the X-Men as a kid and would like to see these stories done well but I have absolutely no interest in this (and never saw Apocalypse either).

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I doubt Zendaya would've accepted the role of Storm.

It wouldn't have even been the first time she's declined to take a role she feels should go to a darker skinned actress.

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
They should really have just put it straight on their streaming service rather than waste time and money on a theatrical run.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
If this is tracking low for the franchise, I can only imagine how low New Mutants is going to be tracking. That's probably going to be around $30 million OW at best.

I still consider these to be side-stories. As for me, Fox's X-men ended with Logan.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Wow. Did not know that.
Apparently, she didn't take the role because it wasn't a "big enough" role.
Fox was interested in casting Zendaya for their young Storm.

Ultimately, it came down to Zendaya feeling like the role wasn't big enough and passed. Audiences gave mixed reviews about Alexandra Shipp, who was ultimately cast in the role. While it was nice to see the '80s punk version of Storm, complete with mohawk, come to life on the screen, the character wasn't given much to do or say, leaving viewers underwhelmed.

https://www.cbr.com/actors-who-were-almost-x-men/

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, people forget Dark Pheonix and New Mutants were originally suppose to come out last year. They were way fucked before the deal even became a thing
With how much people were speculating New Mutants to go straight to Hulu or something, seems Disney is doing the opposite. Although that may have been out of their hands due to contracts and whatnot.

Mechanized

Oct 27, 2017
Nobody cares anymore until the XMen are in the MCU. Not to mention all the negative buzz surrounding it.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017

Of all the things that this movie has going against it, I am in awe that "Dark Phoenix" has the same leather overcoat as X3

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
I would say I feel sorry for Fox going out so pathetically, but they dug this grave themselves by giving Kinberg total control over the X-Franchise.

It would've been way better if Deadpool 2 was the end of the Fox X-Men universe.
As far as I'm concerned, it was.
Logan would have been such a perfect conclusion.
Definitely not (unless someone resented the Fox universe in its entirety, then wanting that would make more sense to me).