• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

oberjin

Oct 31, 2017
Using humanity to open up to people leaves you "open" to those who want to help AND those who want to "shit on you". Is the risk worth the reward?

That is an interesting thought, because in life when you meet new people you have to open up to them before knowing if they will be good or bad for you, so same question, is the risk worth the reward ? you have to try to know the answer.

Carlius

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Agree completely. Dark souls was a savior for me too in other ways as well. Its why i hold it in such high regard and get sad wheb ppl bash 2 for it lol. Ds1 and ds2 helped me a lot.

Booshka

Banned
May 8, 2018
Colton, CA
So ... when you get invaded and stun locked to death, how does that fit in?

Using humanity to open up to people leaves you "open" to those who want to help AND those who want to "shit on you". Is the risk worth the reward?

What about those of you who want to invade or get invaded?

Great post though, very insightful. I've never been depressed, so I won't pretend to understand - but a great read.
Toggle Escape for stunlock. If only you could Toggle Backstab Depression.

Fantastic OP. Dark Souls has been my comfort food for years now. I was depressed and became obsessed with it when it first came out. But last few years have been very positive for me, I still play it regularly. Gonna fall in love again with the remaster, but I will be in a healthy frame of mind while I do it.

OP
OP
Elodes

Elodes

Looks to the Moon
Nov 1, 2017
The Netherlands
Fantastic post. Thank you for being so forthcoming about your struggles, it's never easy and I'm so proud of you and happy that you continue to endure the darkest days you face.
Thank you for this, JB. I'm doing much better now, happily :)

I'll echo what others have (justifyingly so) already said - absolutely fantastic post. Hopefully somebody in a similar situation will find something to take from that read and impact their situations in a positive way. Looking forward to reading whatever threads you make in the future OP.
That makes two of us! I'm excited to share more of my thoughts with this forum in the future. Thanks for following!

Thoughtful stuff Elodes. Very interesting reading.

I snipe at Dark Souls from time to time, but there's no doubt that it is a deliberate, deeply structured experience. There's always been a lot going on with it's systems. I remember another good piece, years ago on some other site, where someone put forward their opinion that hollowing in the game could represent the real world slide into dementia, in old age. That struck me. I was playing the game at the time, and it seemed to make sense.

Anyway, very good post. I'm definitely looking up Rain World now.
I've read that piece as well -- thanks for bringing it up! The idea of hollowing as representing dementia -- the tear of time on the mind -- is a remarkable interpretation; it fits well with the series' longstanding idea that time (or rather, decay -- of minds; of places; of stories; of societies; of people) is humanity's great villain.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on Rain World. I'll take every chance I can to shill this game; it's a staggering artistic achievement, and its muted response is, in my opinion, one of the greatest disappointments in gaming media of the last decade.

That OP was beautiful. Well done, Elodes :')

I found Dark Souls 3 to be a metaphor for the futility of trying to extend your natural lifespan. Or something like that.
I haven't played Dark Souls 3 too much. The pains of being a laptop gamer! I
do recall reading a genuinely stunning piece on Dark Souls' storytelling methods though, which focuses specifically on Dark Souls 3's ending. I'll put this in bold so that other people will see this as well -- it's a stellar piece of writing: https://withaterriblefate.com/2017/08/21/why-its-a-good-thing-that-dark-souls-isnt-coming-back/

Paging Chettlar here -- you'll probably find the above piece interesting.

My experience with DS seems to be totally opposite to yours OP:

When I played Dark Souls for the first time I was in the middle of some kind of depression: I was away from my home country, failling at doing what I was supposed to do, I was struggling to even communicate with my peers since our cultures were so different. There were times when I literally got out of bed just to go and see a therapist that could help me and obviously I was failling at trying to get a job there.

Gaming was one of the few things that weren't "betraying" me so I eventually picked up Dark Souls because it looked so impressive and because I knew some people who enjoyed Demon's and I trusted their opinions when it comes to games.

I loved the world, loved the enemy designs, the clever connections between the different areas, payed special attention to the almost unexistent story and sunk myself into the wikis trying to unravel the mystery of how everything worked. But the more I progressed through the story the more I started to feel the game was affecting my mental health: I was trying to save myself from hollowing but in order to do so I had to prey on others, I was clearly being manipulated my someone else and I had to play along because there was no clear answer anywhere and that uncertainty was almost a replica of how I perceived my own life. I couldn't beat Dark Souls in that state; I came back to my country and sent my stuff in advance, had a bussy last month there trying to solve all my unfinished businesses and then came back. A week after I came back I started a job and that alone helped me to heal my wounds. I picked Dark Souls about a month later, summoned a person and went to beat Lord Gwyn because I wanted to finally leave that damned game behind. In the end I had to face a difficult decision: fuck the world up or fuck the world up. Everything was a cruel joke.

Don't get me wrong: I love the game as a game but since I played it during a harsh period of my life it's the Souls game I have played less because I don't feel like coming back to it, and I've tried to. The idea that you can overcome anything is something I don't feel with DS. It's not the kind of game I'd go to elevate my spirits. I played through all of the series thinking that perhaps I would find a way to let DS's world move on.
Thank you for sharing your story with us, Iva. It sounds like what you needed was exactly the opposite of a mirror to your experiences; does that sound accurate? If that's the case, then Dark Souls would surely be the worst game to play! I'm glad you shared your perspective; it's a reminder that we do indeed need
both types of representation in gaming -- that which offers identification, and that which offers inspiration.

I hope you're doing better now!

As someone who suffers from major depression and only recently started taking medication for it, I can't say I totally agree with everything you said, but I'm glad you--and many others--have found the series to be of some comfort. I certainly never gained much from the game in terms of therapy; I just played it, enjoyed it a lot, and didn't really juxtapose it with depression and my own major depression. It was basically just another game/series I enjoyed and didn't gleam much else from it.

Other games have done that for me, just not Dark Souls. Not saying you're wrong at all, of course. Different games mean different things to different people, and timing is crucial. When I was finally diagnosed last year, the doctor assessed correctly that I'd been depressed since I was around 11 or 12, which was extremely accurate. That was when my life started going downhill.

From the age of 11/12 until 27, I basically existed, not lived.

Depression sucks. It's robbed me of so much, but now that I'm on medication, I feel like a brand new person. I can actually get out of bed; I can actually feel the desire to want to do things; I can actually look at myself and see a future that eluded me for years. It's almost magical how much I've changed in just a few months, but I won't get into that here.

That said, I'm extremely lucky to have such an amazing family. My parents and siblings are all very understanding and have always helped me. I've definitely always been the black sheep in the family, but I--and to some extent, them--never really brought up the possibility that I might be depressed, even though it was very obvious. Indeed, it feels like a sort of taboo, but once you go past the fog wall (to stay thematic), you can actually start doing something about it and get a rhythm going.

Depression was the giant elephant in the room no one acknowledged, but I certainly saw it. I'm also extremely thankful to the doctor that diagnosed me. I went in for stomach problems, and he started getting extremely suspicious with some of my replies, and he started diagnosing me right there and then. And like I said, I'm one of the lucky ones to have such amazing parents; otherwise I couldn't afford my medication.

Anyway, I feel like I'm ranting, but good OP, OP. Video games are a great way to cope sometimes, regardless of which one it is. You can always find something that will resonate with you and affect you on such a profound level. Unfortunately, like I said, Dark Souls was not that for me. Happy for you and everyone else nonetheless, though!
Thanks to you too, DL, for sharing your story! It's wonderful that you got so much out of medication. I'd love to hear what games you connected with in the way I did with Dark Souls...?

This is an absolutely excellent take on the game, well done. I've always found the communal aspects of the series to be an allegory in a sense for never being alone in life and always having some sort of support system. The contrast between that and the heavily bleak universe has always been known to me but great catch in terms of the vague descriptions of mechanics and gameplay systems.

Journey is another game that I believe conveys a similar message but in a much different visual approach (the world is hauntingly beautiful yet empty, as opposed to being haunting and bleak). The mystery in the world and the lack of explanations regarding the game's features plus, most importantly, the anonymous co-op feature, are all aspects that compare to Dark Souls as a metaphor for depression.
Thank you! Journey is a good suggestion. It didn't quite land for me, personally; while playing it, I couldn't help but feel that its salient gameplay mechanic -- the anonymous co-op -- was implemented in a more interesting and more multifaceted way in Dark Souls. But at the end of the day it's just a game that I simply didn't connect with. I know many others who have, and I'm glad for them, and for you :)

Seeing someone else reaching this conclusion and putting so much effort, passion and care into translating this kind of abstract feelings into words, warms my heart and makes me hopeful for this media.

Thank you for this, OP.
Thank
you, Blackbird. I'm flattered to hear that I could give you such hope.

Absolutely excellent write-up, OP. I'm echoing a lot of others but this is honestly very well thought out and concise, it was a wonderful read.

On a personal note, I do see a lot of similar connections you are making to the game here with my own struggle through depression. You are right that everyone seems to have their own different battle with depression, finding out what helps them, what doesn't help, etc. but I think sharing these, and knowing you are not alone, are incredibly important as you pointed out. A lot of what you discussed and pointed out are why I enjoy Dark Souls so much, especially when it came to discovering the story both through your own adventure and through the help of the outlying community.

I have to ask, have you played Bloodborne? I'm really interested to see if you feel these points here carry over to Bloodborne or if the two don't align as much.

Will also second the recommendation of Celeste. Wonderful platformer in its' own right and it does touch on Anxiety/Depression a bit more on-the-nose than OP's breakdown of Dark Souls but it nonetheless deserves a playthrough if you enjoy platformers.
Thank you, Sawneeks! I've sadly not played Bloodborne; I don't own a PS4, and I'm not quite willing to buy one just for a single game. Bloodborne sure makes a good counter-argument, though.

Over the years, I've not quite been able to withstand the temptation to read up on it, and what whispers I've heard -- of knowledge and madness, of horror and religion and menstrual blood -- make me ever more confident in my own interpretation of Dark Souls; I feel like the careful changes From made in Bloodborne to the formula, the content, and the structure, suggest that they knew exactly what they were doing in the first place.

But until I play the game, I'll never know for sure :')

(I have played Celeste, by the way! Lovely game.)

OP, have you watched NakeyJakey's Dark Souls Saved My Life video? I think you might feel some comfort in listening to his experience with the game too.
It's such a lovely video that I'd put it at the end of my post ;) Thanks for sharing it though; I'll take any excuse to watch it again!

Wow. You should get into professional writing if you haven't already. This is one of the best analysis of a video game I've ever read.
Well, if anyone from the industry is reading this... ;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Elodes

Elodes

Looks to the Moon
Nov 1, 2017
The Netherlands
There is something I'd like to add here however. That almost runs counter to your point but I think exists alongside it. Maybe I misunderstood but as someone who was greatly helped by this game I feel like this was the part you left out one of the most important things of all.

Empowerment

For me, the most impactful result of the obtuseness of the mechanics was the empowerment I received from overcoming them, similarly to the bosses. In other words. The game does not care about me. Unlike other games, where my victory was assured from the very beginning. The world of dark souls almost acts as if I never existed. It doesn't care about me. This reflects how depression has often made me feel about the world. Nothing cares about me. I don't matter. Some people have told me I matter, but the world itself clearly repudiates that notion.

This means, then, that when I do figure something out in Dark Souls, it was by my doing. I did it. Me. By myself. This directly addresses point #3, but also an extension of that, which I would phrase as "Others can do things, but I don't, so I should feel ashamed of myself", and then when I receive help "See, I needed help to do things. I'm a child. A baby. I can't do anything on my own. Everything must be handed to me. I suck." And yet despite that feeling and acknowledging it, I know that if dark souls had an Easy mode, I would have picked it. Why stress about a hard pointless difficulty? However, Dark Souls didn't allow me to select an easy mode. It didn't give me the answers. Everything was raw. Untamed. Uncaring for me. A reflection of how the real world feels.

Once I was able to work out things like humanity, and once I beat the Taurus Demon, and all those things, I started to feel something I didn't ever remember feeling. I felt empowered. I felt empowered because I did those things. Me. No one else. I got good. I did it. I wasn't funneled into a boss fight I was pretty much guaranteed to win. The game wouldn't play nice with me. It stood there in my way, and I knocked it down. I did it. Me. No help. No nothing.

And then, funny enough, with this new found empowerment, and more and more as it grew over the course of the game, I began to become more secure in my own not just abilities, but in my lack of abilities, because I realized two things. 1. I could do anything if I set my mind to it eventually (you always hear this, but I had been given the opportunity to internalize it), and 2. It doesn't matter if I can't. I can give and receive help, and there's no shame in that. As I gave help, and as Dark Souls forced me to accept help sometimes, I became comfortable with both, but never felt inadequate. I didn't feel bad that I couldn't do something. I saw help from phantoms not as someone carrying me, but as someone helping me over that ledge only for now. I knew that eventually I would be able to whoop that ledge's ass. So who cares if I need help now? If that's what enables me to do it later, then good! I know if I participate, I will learn.

And then the community you've talked about above. You realize that everyone is right where you are, struggling as you are - some ahead of you, some behind. It's no shame to accept help now. You will do it yourself eventually. Time is a thing.

Now, when I go and fight Midir solo in DS3, it's not out of pride. It's not out of insecurity. It's not out of a fear that I must maintain the fact that I don't suck. No. It's because I can, and because it's fun. And I love it.

It's such a freeing feeling. It's such a true feeling of empowerment. It's so different from "empowerment" coming from people saying nice things. It's empowerment from somewhere else, somewhere inside me. Dark Souls didn't give me the ability to fight and win; it merely showed me that I could and that victory was its own reward. It helped me internalize that by doing it, in a way no book or lecture or movie could ever do. It has changed me as a person, and I am so grateful for that.

Thank you so much for this incredible post. Do you mind if I quote it in my second post at the beginning? -- and while we're on this topic; I adore your posts about the nature of time within the Dark Souls series; can I quote these [Link & Link], too? (Spoilered, of course.)

To address your point: I did myself also notice this theme of empowerment; that Dark Souls, through robbing the player of so much, is in fact a reconstruction of the idea of a power fantasy. That is to say, like almost all games, it most definitely is one; but I think it's one of the few games that managed to make it feel genuine -- deserved, exactly as you so eloquently describe here.

There are two reasons why I didn't mention it in my OP. The first is --- I forgot! I tried to put three years' worth of thought into a single post; at some point I just had to stop coming up with new ideas and focus on shaping what I had into a good structure, and this idea happened to not come up.
The second reason is that, although I intellectually understand that Dark Souls works for people in this way -- and I'm joyous and inspired that you found such strength in it yourself! -- it didn't manage to do it for me. Despite its wonderful rawness, something just didn't click. My victories neither elated nor inspired me; my progress felt, for some reason, not my own. It was actually really frustrating -- here was a game that clearly came so close, but it just failed to do it for me.

The game that did it for me, of course, was Rain World. The rawness you describe here, is stronger in Rain World than in any game I've ever played. It asks so much of the player, and gives them so little. It's exceedingly uncaring. I'll talk more about this in a future post; but I think one of the key improvements Rain World makes, is that it removes the ability of the player to depend on its world's stable nature. (There are many more wondrous and unique things that Rain World does, but that's for another time.)
It goes like this: The world of Dark Souls is the same in every cycle of death. Rain World's is fluid; it changes continuously. In Dark Souls, you may 'cheat' the game by distinguishing patterns, behaviours; by learning these, then learning solutions, and then just mechanically applying these solutions to the same problems over and over. I think this was why I didn't feel like it was me succeeding at these things; rather, it was simply that I'd gone through the motions so often that there was no way I wouldn't manage.
In Rain World, you cannot rely on such knowledge. Enemy locations are random; enemy behaviour is extremely erratic. You can never rely on static knowledge; the only thing you can do is improvise. It's something that no game has ever really asked me to do, and it's the lesson I most dearly needed.

At any rate --- thank you for bringing up this aspect of Dark Souls. It's wonderful to read how it has changed so many people -- each in different ways.

I just wanted to say that I never understood this. I was able to get the game's general story pretty well to begin with. I think people rely too much on cutscenes to tell the story. To me, the beginning events are explained, and then what happens in the game is the story. I understood pretty well all that had happened when I finished the game, and I didn't really read item descriptions a ton. Maybe a few essential ones.

I can't say much on this topic myself; I got 90% of my understanding of the story, from online wiki's, forums, and playthroughs. (I still long to play Bloodborne one day, so that I may know what it's like to figure out such a story for myself!)
I do wonder, though -- when you say you understood everything pretty well, what level of detail are we talking about? For instance, to take Artorias...
The following facts about Artorias are clearly noted:
  1. A sealed door carries his name
  2. A dog carries his ring
  3. He traversed the Abyss (though what's the Abyss?)
  4. You kill him in the past
  5. You stop the Abyss by defeating some seemingly unrelated dude
The following facts may be gained through connecting a lot of dots. This will already be difficult, since many of the dots are separated in both time and space:
  1. His grave is in Darkroot Garden, and was sealed off
  2. It is being defended by a group who want to prevent people from robbing his grave
  3. There is a dog who guards his grave. For loyalty? For love?
  4. The ring (s)he drops, tells you that Artorias traversed the Abyss
  5. There is another ring nearby, which belonged to Hornet and which lies on her corpse. Why did she die here? For loyalty? -- but would she follow this to her death? For love, then?
  6. Artorias crossed the Abyss, but why?
At this point my memory of the DLC fails me; presumably you figure out that a princess is involved, but why has Artorias gone insane, and why does he attack you? Etc.

And then there are of course the greater narrative strands: The way he symbolizes the typical tale of "Hero saves princess"; the way he deconstructs it, through his failure; the way your success allows you to re-enact this classic tale in a world that otherwise denounces it; the way this tale takes place in the past, symbolizing how the contemporary world within Dark Souls has grown past this -- emphasizing that there will be no easy heroic deeds here; the way this ties into the idea that was also mentioned above, of Dark Souls being in many ways a meta-commentary on old videogames as a whole -- videogames which very classically, and specifically within the context of the Zelda games (themselves obviously very relevant to Dark Souls!), have always revolved around saving the princess; and so forth, and so forth...

The first five facts are easy to deduce. The rest is disparate sentences, strewn across seventy hours of gameplay, which are themselves often experienced across real months, if not years. I don't find it so strange that very few people can follow this without a guide to structure their thoughts with.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you so much for this incredible post. Do you mind if I quote it in my second post at the beginning? -- and while we're on this topic; I adore your posts about the nature of time within the Dark Souls series; can I quote these [Link & Link], too? (Spoilered, of course.)

Not at all! It's something I'd love to convey to more people.

There are two reasons why I didn't mention it in my OP. The first is --- I forgot! I tried to put three years' worth of thought into a single post; at some point I just had to stop coming up with new ideas and focus on shaping what I had into a good structure, and this idea happened to not come up.

Lol I can't blame you. There's a lot of aspects to it.

The second reason is that, although I intellectually understand that Dark Souls works for people in this way -- and I'm joyous and inspired that you found such strength in it yourself! -- it didn't manage to do it for me. Despite its wonderful rawness, something just didn't click. My victories neither elated nor inspired me; my progress felt, for some reason, not my own. It was actually really frustrating -- here was a game that clearly came so close, but it just failed to do it for me.

The game that did it for me, of course, was Rain World. The rawness you describe here, is stronger in Rain World than in any game I've ever played. It asks so much of the player, and gives them so little. It's exceedingly uncaring. I'll talk more about this in a future post; but I think one of the key improvements Rain World makes, is that it removes the ability of the player to depend on its world's stable nature. (There are many more wondrous and unique things that Rain World does, but that's for another time.)
It goes like this: The world of Dark Souls is the same in every cycle of death. Rain World's is fluid; it changes continuously. In Dark Souls, you may 'cheat' the game by distinguishing patterns, behaviours; by learning these, then learning solutions, and then just mechanically applying these solutions to the same problems over and over. I think this was why I didn't feel like it was me succeeding at these things; rather, it was simply that I'd gone through the motions so often that there was no way I wouldn't manage.
In Rain World, you cannot rely on such knowledge. Enemy locations are random; enemy behaviour is extremely erratic. You can never rely on static knowledge; the only thing you can do is improvise. It's something that no game has ever really asked me to do, and it's the lesson I most dearly needed.

At any rate --- thank you for bringing up this aspect of Dark Souls. It's wonderful to read how it has changed so many people -- each in different ways.

For me that "cheating" just felt like me outsmarting the game. But I see what you mean. I also think Dark Souls is very good at quietly guiding the player without them knowing, but that might be more obvious to some than others. I also never really consciously memorized patterns in Dark Souls (which is why I reject the popular notion by some who haven't played that it's a game all about pattern memorization! You can reduce it that way but you needn't do so. At least you needn't really think that much about it).

I will have to check out rain world for sure.

Back to the point about it affecting me, I think one thing that drove some of those lessons home for me actually came later on. It's sort of unrelated and yet my experience with dark souls was a stepping stone to getting there. I had this group of friends from my drawing classes. We all had our various share of physical and mental health problems and for me, I felt like I was given a safe space to be. I could hang out, and not get judged by these friends.

Unfortunately, while I thought it might be good for me, it took some time for me to realize it wasn't. While it's important to have your mental health understood, I was not actually benefitting from this group. I was wallowing. It wasn't my fault that I was depressed, but at the same time, I was the only one who could do something about it. I was enabling myself to wallow, instead of advancing. I'd kind of forgotten some of the lessons I'd learned before. A number of somewhat unrelated things happened that sort of pulled me away from the group momentarily, and in that time I started to realize that my depression had not gotten better. I had just suppressed it. As I separated and started fighting again, I started to notice that I was subtly over long periods of time gaining control of my depression. When I caught back up with some of my friends, I was astonished to see how static they'd remained, while I had felt tremendous growth.

I think the lesson I kind of took away from that was that I needed to fight, not just in a game, but in real life. And I already knew from that disparity, and from my experience from Dark Souls, that I could. It's enabled me to help many other people out as well. I mean, I can be a pretty weak willed person when all is said and done, stubborn as I may be sometimes. Also I'm pretty bad at video games lol. So. If I can do it, so can other people. Both in regards to Dark Souls, and depression.

In regards to your other post, I was just referring to the story of the main game. I feel like a while ago I had worked out a really good storyline that basically fit everything in regards to Artorias and the Abyss. But I can't recall just atm. I do know that he traversed the abyss to fight the abyss walkers, including the four kings by establishing a covenant, or something. That's really fuzzy. The sealer you get the key from in New Londo will tell you some about it.

As far as Bloodborne, yes yes yes do play it. The "lore" is really more a part of the story. It has a fantastic mystery that you can work out as you play. One of the best games I have ever played. Maybe the best. I love it so much. The story is so beautifully told and the clues are so brilliantly set out that I really feel that I had basically worked out the general history of the world, and I never read anything like Paleblood Hunt or whatever that fan essay is called. Be sure to play the DLC. I felt things playing through that.

OP
OP
Elodes

Elodes

Looks to the Moon
Nov 1, 2017
The Netherlands
Not at all! It's something I'd love to convey to more people.
Done! Thanks :)

For me that "cheating" just felt like me outsmarting the game. But I see what you mean. I also think Dark Souls is very good at quietly guiding the player without them knowing, but that might be more obvious to some than others. I also never really consciously memorized patterns in Dark Souls (which is why I reject the popular notion by some who haven't played that it's a game all about pattern memorization! You can reduce it that way but you needn't do so. At least you needn't really think that much about it).

I will have to check out rain world for sure.

That's very fair. I wouldn't hold it against Dark Souls here. I do think that 'rawness' is important to works like these, and for instance, I get the impression that Demon's Souls has this quality moreso than Dark Souls does; but Dark Souls is its own thing, and absolutely does its job well enough. I don't see how it could incorporate a world like Rain World's without becoming an entirely different game, so I respect it for what it is :)

And yes, please do check out Rain World! It's the rawest, most demanding, most thematically ambitious game I've ever played through. It has the most amazing highs. I'd love to hear your thoughts if you ever get around to it! :)

Back to the point about it affecting me, I think one thing that drove some of those lessons home for me actually came later on. It's sort of unrelated and yet my experience with dark souls was a stepping stone to getting there. I had this group of friends from my drawing classes. We all had our various share of physical and mental health problems and for me, I felt like I was given a safe space to be. I could hang out, and not get judged by these friends.

Unfortunately, while I thought it might be good for me, it took some time for me to realize it wasn't. While it's important to have your mental health understood, I was not actually benefitting from this group. I was wallowing. It wasn't my fault that I was depressed, but at the same time, I was the only one who could do something about it. I was enabling myself to wallow, instead of advancing. I'd kind of forgotten some of the lessons I'd learned before. A number of somewhat unrelated things happened that sort of pulled me away from the group momentarily, and in that time I started to realize that my depression had not gotten better. I had just suppressed it. As I separated and started fighting again, I started to notice that I was subtly over long periods of time gaining control of my depression. When I caught back up with some of my friends, I was astonished to see how static they'd remained, while I had felt tremendous growth.

I think the lesson I kind of took away from that was that I needed to fight, not just in a game, but in real life. And I already knew from that disparity, and from my experience from Dark Souls, that I could. It's enabled me to help many other people out as well. I mean, I can be a pretty weak willed person when all is said and done, stubborn as I may be sometimes. Also I'm pretty bad at video games lol. So. If I can do it, so can other people. Both in regards to Dark Souls, and depression.
This is inspiring to hear. I'm really happy you found these lessons in the game!

As far as Bloodborne, yes yes yes do play it. The "lore" is really more a part of the story. It has a fantastic mystery that you can work out as you play. One of the best games I have ever played. Maybe the best. I love it so much. The story is so beautifully told and the clues are so brilliantly set out that I really feel that I had basically worked out the general history of the world, and I never read anything like Paleblood Hunt or whatever that fan essay is called. Be sure to play the DLC. I felt things playing through that.
Oh, believe me, I've been flip-flopping on whether or not I want to buy a PS4 for five solid years now. Ahhhh Bloodborne! It and its DLC are so on my list -- but, you know. Money, and all that.

I will absolutely play it some day though. In fifteen years, when someone's selling their fourth-hand PS4 for fifty dollars --- I'll be there, stat.

Last edited:

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Am i the only one who thinks that DS difficulty is overrated?

If you are used to difficult (and old) games, it's not that hard.

Wong Kar Why

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
this is one of my favorite takes on the game so far. and it makes my first remastered run a lot more enjoyable. thanks for the write-up, op!

gonna need to share this with a few of my friends.

Am i the only one who thinks that DS difficulty is overrated?

if you are used to difficult (and old) games, it's not that hard.
1) this could be said for plenty of difficult games and 2) not sure if this is the right thread for this.

Orochinagis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You know how grossly united and helpul is the comunity is when there is a unspoken rule to greet everyone you summon and your summon does it too. there are no words or dialogue , just a happy host doing the roar emote after killing that pesky boss

Deleted member 1067

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I always viewed the game as more about entropy than anything else, but I can see it. Thanks for the thread OP, interesting look for sure.

Juj

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
That was a very, very well written and interesting and argumentatively persuasive take on the game. Thanks for writing that.

Might I ask what you've studied/are studying or what genre you like reading ? (This might be weird, but I just wanted to know lol.

Rush_Khan

Oct 26, 2017
I won't claim to have been diagnosed as being depressed, nor would I claim to understand such a horrible disease, but I absolutely agree with all your points, OP. Dark Souls is one of the best games that people can escape to and with such a lovely community, you feel that you are never alone.

BTW, this is probably the most well-written OP I have ever read on Era/GAF. Kudos.

This is a great OP, and I'll read it when I've beaten the remaster. As someone who has also struggled with depression and anxiety my whole life, I would also recommend Celeste. It has a similarly challenging yet motivating gameplay loop and a more overt narrative that's driven by mental health problems.
Good shout. My current GOTY was one that I could really relate too in terms of having self-belief even in the dimmest of circumstances. That one interaction in the game
where you're pretending to keep a feather afloat - taught me a new technique to cope with my severe anxiety - I used it just before my final exams recently.
No doubt many of its other themes
particularly the interactions with your doppelganger
would resonate well with people who suffer from depression. Highly recommended.

Buddeh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is the Citizen Kane of internet forum threads.

Well done op

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

OP
OP
Elodes

Elodes

Looks to the Moon
Nov 1, 2017
The Netherlands
100%

As someone who is going through server depression, this is just-I don't even have the words.

Thank you, Elodes , from the bottom of my heart.

Thank you for writing this. It means a lot to me to get such warm feedback from readers. I wish you strength with what you're going through! I hope there's someone you can reach out to. I'm here, if you want to talk.

Oh, and enjoy Celeste! :)

You know how grossly united and helpul is the comunity is when there is a unspoken rule to greet everyone you summon and your summon does it too. there are no words or dialogue , just a happy host doing the roar emote after killing that pesky boss

Hah, yes! I always love this aspect of Dark Souls' co-op. Even invaders greet you. And it's always, like --- some people are formal with it and bow to you; others are really enthousiastic and jump up in the air shaking their weapon; still others are funny edgelords through the use of the "What is it"-gesture and the like. But no matter what they choose to do -- no matter if it's valiant or edgy -- they always play a role. They always tell you ahead of time, "This is the person I am going to be. This is who I will be to you." It's this --- this attempt at connecting --- it really gets me. I'd guesstimate that only 5% of people I've played online with, didn't join into this game. No one remains anonymous; everyone gives a little piece of themselves to you. It's really lovely stuff. It never fails to make me happy -- when I'm playing some dumb-ass violent game about swords and magic and whatnot, and I'm dressed silly as heck, and someone else comes in and they've got a freaking treasure chest for a head, and we both up jump up and down, giddy with joy, because, hey, it's jolly cooperation, y'all!

Gosh, this community warms my heart.

I won't claim to have been diagnosed as being depressed, nor would I claim to understand such a horrible disease, but I absolutely agree with all your points, OP. Dark Souls is one of the best games that people can escape to and with such a lovely community, you feel that you are never alone.

BTW, this is probably the most well-written OP I have ever read on Era/GAF. Kudos.

Good shout. My current GOTY was one that I could really relate too in terms of having self-belief even in the dimmest of circumstances. That one interaction in the game
where you're pretending to keep a feather afloat - taught me a new technique to cope with my severe anxiety - I used it just before my final exams recently.
No doubt many of its other themes
particularly the interactions with your doppelganger
would resonate well with people who suffer from depression. Highly recommended.
Thank you for the kind words! Yes, I was quite struck by that section from Celeste myself. Haven't really used the tip myself, but it's definitely the kind of thing where it was like, oh, duh, of course games can straight-up teach you practical things like that. And that's actually really great! Yeah, Celeste's all right :)

------

For posterity: I wanted to note something really lovely that's been happening now, around the remaster's release.

The first goal you'll receive in Dark Souls is to "ring the two bells" -- a goal that will guide you through the first third of your journey. Whenever you are in hearing distance of either bell, you may hear them ring in your world if a player elsewhere in the world is ringing them right now.

Well --- here, then, is a very special experience:

And there are summoning signs all over the place, too. To quote Ogs from the OT:

Having never played any Soul's game on release, it was nuts just seeing this many summon signs in one place -

570940_201805261252381oofm.png

Many of us have only played Dark Souls back when the online matching algorithms on PC were terrible; frequently we'd see only a single summoning sign at most.

But here's the version of Dark Souls that we were meant to see: A world that is alive with people, where you may always count on the help and guidance from your fellow players. For a brief, unique moment in time, this world is not a lonely one.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Holy shit, OP. I thankfully don't suffer from depression, but this was still a very poignant read. Thank you.

Kalnet

Oct 25, 2017
I can relate so much to this op. What an amazing read. I kinda felt the same way with Bloodborne when i played it the first time. Playing the souls games seems to keep my depression in check and I was having fun at the same time even though it's a single player game.

This deserves the thread of the year if there is one.

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Nice post. The story of my life.
Soulsborne and horror-games are the kind of catharcis I turn towards when I want to escape my angst/depression/stressful thoughts.
It makes you feel alive going through digital hardships rather than u-be-softing through life like a positive-minded non-gamer (mind my exaggeration)

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
A cool take on Dark Souls.

I'd like to piggy-back an idea I had about Dark Souls but have been too lazy to flesh out in full. Someone else can give'er go if you want.

It's basically taking the OP's direction as Dark Souls as a metaphor, but not for depression specifically, but more for the Buddhist concept of Dukkha. To prove my aforementioned laziness, I'll just post the general concept from Wikipedia and let people decide for themselves if Dukkha is indeed the central theme of Dark Souls:

Within the Buddhist sutras, dukkha is divided in three categories:

• Dukkha-dukkha, the dukkha of painful experiences. This includes the physical and mental sufferings of birth, aging, illness, dying; distress from what is not desirable.
  • Viparinama-dukkha, the dukkha of the changing nature of all things. This includes the frustration of not getting what you want.
  • Sankhara-dukkha, the dukkha of conditioned experience. This includes "a basic unsatisfactoriness pervading all existence, all forms of life, because all forms of life are changing, impermanent and without any inner core or substance."[web 1] On this level, the term indicates a lack of satisfaction, a sense that things never measure up to our expectations or standards.
Various sutras sum up how life in this "mundane world" is regarded to be dukkha, starting with samsara, the ongoing process of death and rebirth itself:[note 2]

1. Birth is dukkha, aging is dukkha, illness is dukkha, death is dukkha;
  2. Sorrow, lamentation, pain, grief, and despair are dukkha;
  3. Association with the unbeloved is dukkha; separation from the loved is dukkha;
  4. Not getting what is wanted is dukkha.
  5. In conclusion, the five clinging-aggregates are dukkha.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
No amount of therapy or medication has done much good for me in the last 2 decades and feel permanently damaged by all the pills over the years.
Instead of fun, games (and everything else) feel more like distractions, and in that way it helps by not letting you get internal dialogue started, but its also still possible to understand talents and qualities even if they don't offer a significant chemical response.
Never really got too much into most of the Souls games, but Bloodborne seemed to more appropriately describe what ive gone through with psychosis and frequent nightmares and fever dreams.

Ultimately I think games cannot even begin to hope to portray that kind of internal suffering with any real effectiveness to people who cant relate to it. If you haven't been there you will more likely than not be telling us that its just a mindset, or to get over it.

Last edited:

Kanann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Interesting read.

I'm far from being depressed person (more like an asshole tbh)
But I really hate story that you are empowered, the chosen one, the etc.
From zero to hero are tolerable, but other wise...*puke*

Dark Souls series extremely fit my taste, you are nobody doing not so important tasks for whatever reason.

That's life I'm living for.

Oct 25, 2017
That was an amazingly well-written and insightful piece. Such a pleasure to read. Thank you, OP.

As someone who's briefly battled through depression (for now), it's fascinating to read how Dark Souls connected with you. I suppose on the surface and through imagery alone, you can see the correspondence to mental illness, but how you've taken depression, defined it with those 5 very relatable thoughts and interwoven them through those highly perceptive reasons to demonstrate your point is seriously impressive. Now I know there may be more interpretations, but yours is so convincing that it makes me think the game was actually designed with depression as a core concept.

For me personally, just playing any good game while depressed helped. I'm not sure if it was purely an escape or if the games I played genuinely helped to change my perspective on life but games were certainly a big part of my recovery I'd say.

I haven't completed Dark Souls (gave up and ironically and unrelatedly spiralled into depression shortly after), but after reading your post I feel compelled to buy and play through the remaster :)

OP
OP
Elodes

Elodes

Looks to the Moon
Nov 1, 2017
The Netherlands
You might be really, really interested in playing Rain World. It plays a lot with this sort of Buddhist ideas in incredibly interesting and elegant ways. Thanks for the write-up; I'll look into these concepts before I write my Rain World thread.

That was an amazingly well-written and insightful piece. Such a pleasure to read. Thank you, OP.

As someone who's briefly battled through depression (for now), it's fascinating to read how Dark Souls connected with you. I suppose on the surface and through imagery alone, you can see the correspondence to mental illness, but how you've taken depression, defined it with those 5 very relatable thoughts and interwoven them through those highly perceptive reasons to demonstrate your point is seriously impressive. Now I know there may be more interpretations, but yours is so convincing that it makes me think the game was actually designed with depression as a core concept.

For me personally, just playing any good game while depressed helped. I'm not sure if it was purely an escape or if the games I played genuinely helped to change my perspective on life but games were certainly a big part of my recovery I'd say.

I haven't completed Dark Souls (gave up and ironically and unrelatedly spiralled into depression shortly after), but after reading your post I feel compelled to buy and play through the remaster :)
Thank you, CosmicRomancer ! I'm not fully convinced myself that the game was designed around being a metaphor for depression; but most other interpretations seem to just forget all the carefully-designed online elements, which seems to me like a strike against their theories. Like, who would ever think to add a live commenting system to a dark fantasy adventure just for fun? No way --- they had greater goals with this stuff.

I definitely feel you; playing games in general can be a great way to escape from life when you're in a darker spot; and the relief this brings can absolutely help people figure things out for themselves. Anyway, I can very much recommend the remaster -- I hear it's a great version of what I obviously think is a pretty cool game ;-)

Oct 25, 2017
Thank you, CosmicRomancer ! I'm not fully convinced myself that the game was designed around being a metaphor for depression; but most other interpretations seem to just forget all the carefully-designed online elements, which seems to me like a strike against their theories. Like, who would ever think to add a live commenting system to a dark fantasy adventure just for fun? No way --- they had greater goals with this stuff.

I definitely feel you; playing games in general can be a great way to escape from life when you're in a darker spot; and the relief this brings can absolutely help people figure things out for themselves. Anyway, I can very much recommend the remaster -- I hear it's a great version of what I obviously think is a pretty cool game ;-)
Yes, perhaps a slight overstatement on my part haha. Each interpretation is personal and is neither right nor wrong but it's more a testament to how well-thought-out your piece was. Yours just made perfect sense to me that it wouldn't surprise me at all.

I'll be sure to look up the other interpretations, but you're right -- your argument included the online elements as a key component and very convincingly so! Especially the humanity metaphor.

Also, good to know you recommend the remaster! I look forward to playing it.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I never got very far into the first Dark Souls, but I have beaten the two and Bloodborne. I've been depressed for quite a long time now. I'm very unhappy in my life, and I have been for as long as I can renember. It's been so long since I was genuinely happy that I feel like there is a part of me that has been permanently broken.

This past Thursday, after being within her company for 17 years, since she was 16 weeks old, I had to put my beloved cat Oreo to rest. She had a stroke the Sunday before, and after taking her to the emergency vet and seeing what they could do for her, they said there was really no hope for her. She couldn't walk anymore, and while she was trying to move, it was a struggle. I lost my dad when I was 17, and I really only have 13 years worth of memories with him, and they have been fading as time has gone on these last 7 years. I remember the day I brought Oreo home, the first night she slept on my chest, how she comforted me when I moved out on my own for the first time and felt more alone than I ever had before.

She was my best friend, and losing her has been the hardest thing I've ever had to deal with. I knew I would be sad when she was gone. I didn't know that I would feel so utterly defeated and broken and lost. I'm not one to cry very much, but I have been crying ever since I had to say goodbye. A lot of people underestimate the impact our pets can have in our lives, we take them for granted and they ask so little in return. My life is never going to the be same. As much as I have been dealing with depression in my life, this is the absolute lowest I have ever felt. My world is an even darker place without her. I don't expect many to sympathize. Some will probably think I'm being dramatic, but it doesn't feel that way for me.

Maybe this isn't the right thread, but it was the only one I was able to see regarding depression. I haven't done much of anything, let alone gaming, since I lost her. Reading your thread makes me want to try and get into the game, but I feel too exhausted to face the trial of it.

Thank you for the thread and the write up. I hope all who are suffering who have posted here will be able to get through it

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Beautiful and very well thought out read. This should be made into an actual article somewhere.

I entered the thread intending to hot-take "I wish depression was as easy to conquer as Dark Souls", but I now realize you mean "metaphor" in a different, more intimate sense.

In any case, Dark Souls is a game that has changed so many lives. The effect it had on mine was far less dramatic than many of the examples in this thread, but still, it awakened a dormant craving for challenge I had not felt in years, if not decades. It remains one of my most beloved games of all time.

I never got very far into the first Dark Souls, but I have beaten the two and Bloodborne. I've been depressed for quite a long time now. I'm very unhappy in my life, and I have been for as long as I can renember. It's been so long since I was genuinely happy that I feel like there is a part of me that has been permanently broken.

This past Thursday, after being within her company for 17 years, since she was 16 weeks old, I had to put my beloved cat Oreo to rest. She had a stroke the Sunday before, and after taking her to the emergency vet and seeing what they could do for her, they said there was really no hope for her. She couldn't walk anymore, and while she was trying to move, it was a struggle. I lost my dad when I was 17, and I really only have 13 years worth of memories with him, and they have been fading as time has gone on these last 7 years. I remember the day I brought Oreo home, the first night she slept on my chest, how she comforted me when I moved out on my own for the first time and felt more alone than I ever had before.

She was my best friend, and losing her has been the hardest thing I've ever had to deal with. I knew I would be sad when she was gone. I didn't know that I would feel so utterly defeated and broken and lost. I'm not one to cry very much, but I have been crying ever since I had to say goodbye. A lot of people underestimate the impact our pets can have in our lives, we take them for granted and they ask so little in return. My life is never going to the be same. As much as I have been dealing with depression in my life, this is the absolute lowest I have ever felt. My world is an even darker place without her. I don't expect many to sympathize. Some will probably think I'm being dramatic, but it doesn't feel that way for me.

Maybe this isn't the right thread, but it was the only one I was able to see regarding depression. I haven't done much of anything, let alone gaming, since I lost her. Reading your thread makes me want to try and get into the game, but I feel too exhausted to face the trial of it.

Thank you for the thread and the write up. I hope all who are suffering who have posted here will be able to get through it

I love my cat RatĂłn (the one in my avatar, sleeping right now at my side, as he always is) so much it would be hard to put into words. I fear the day he will be gone more than the day of my own eventual death, I just can't imagine life without him. Sometimes I just think about that day and I nearly cry. He's 8 years old so hopefully it's still some ways off, but still, it's unbearable.

What I'm trying to say is that I'm deeply, deeply sorry for your loss, and I wish I could do anything to ease it. Take confort in the fact that she was deeply beloved and extremely happy by your side, and lived a long, full life. Cats are such wonderful friends, and so underapreciated and misunderstood by those that don't know them.

Last edited:

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Beautiful and very well thought out read. This should be made into an actual article somewhere.

I entered the thread intending to hot-take "I wish depression was as easy to conquer as Dark Souls", but I now realize you mean "metaphor" in a different, more intimate sense.

In any case, Dark Souls is a game that has changed so many lives. The effect it had on mine was far less dramatic than many of the examples in this thread, but still, it awakened a dormant craving for challenge I had not felt in years, if not decades. It remains one of my most beloved games of all time.

I love my cat RatĂłn (the one in my avatar, sleeping right now at my side, as he always is) so much it would be hard to put into words. I fear the day he will be gone more than the day of my own eventual death, I just can't imagine life without him. Sometimes I just think about that day and I nearly cry. He's 8 years old so hopefully it's still some ways off, but still, it's unbearable.

What I'm trying to say is that I'm deeply, deeply sorry for your loss, and I wish I could do anything to ease it. Take confort in the fact that she was deeply beloved and extremely happy by your side, and lived a long, full life. Cats are such wonderful friends, and so underapreciated and misunderstood by those that don't know them.

Thank you. The hardest part has been dealing with the decision to put her down, and to not let her live out the rest of her days at home in my arms. I feel like I betrayed her, and I'm not sure I'll ever get over that. RatĂłn looks very sweet, and I hope the two of you are going to get to make plenty of memories and bond even more for the next 10+ years. Cats have always been the best companions for a person like me, and I am glad to know I'm not the only one who has such a strong bond with theirs.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Thank you. The hardest part has been dealing with the decision to put her down, and to not let her live out the rest of her days at home in my arms. I feel like I betrayed her, and I'm not sure I'll ever get over that. RatĂłn looks very sweet, and I hope the two of you are going to get to make plenty of memories and bond even more for the next 10+ years. Cats have always been the best companions for a person like me, and I am glad to know I'm not the only one who has such a strong bond with theirs.

Oh, you definitely are not the only one. The missus has a cat rescue and adoption service / page, and she works at a local cat cafe. We currently have nine cats at home, five ours plus three fosters. We love all of ours, of course, but she is also as strongly bonded with one of them as I am with RatĂłn.

As for putting her down, that decision haunts every owner, but you did the right thing. Think of it the opposite way; you'd be making her suffer unnecesarily, just to make her passing easier for you. You took the selfless choice, minimizing her suffering over your own feelings. And you did this because you truly loved her, and when the time came, you instinctively did what was best for her, as you ever did.

Mistle

Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
great write up OP. i played bloodborne recently and currently am deep into dark souls for my first time.

these games have pretty much instantly became some of my favourite games of all time. and that's no small statement... i find myself largely disinterested whatever the newest AAA release is, or latest power fantasy superhero movie. if i made a top 10 list, these games would stick out like a sore thumb among Zelda and Mario and the like. i think you've touched on something that I hadn't considered myself, in terms of why these games resonate so much with me and why so much of other popular media doesn't.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
*insert Citizen Kane clapping gif here*

That was beautiful OP, top notch.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
This game just keeps me coming back and I'm always reminded of this thread. I bought it on switch today and this is the 5th time I've bought an iteration of the game.