• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Was talking about this in the Stayd's/Dark Souls modding general (what it's become imo) project thread, thought it deserved it's own thread.

https://grimrukh.com/nightfall/

The leader modder in charge is the Daughters of Ash author, one of the most famous mods in the community, but there's a bunch of other big names attached to it from the Souls modding community.

Dark Souls: Nightfall is the giant new Dark Souls mod I'm working on with AinTunez, Meowmaritus, and others. AinTunez and I started sketching the outline last year, and we've gradually been piecing the core components together throughout 2020.

I hope you'll agree that Daughters of Ash would have been worse off if I'd hyped it up a year in advance and spoiled everything in demo videos. Nevertheless, I can tentatively say that:

It's a direct sequel to Dark Souls, again with "expanded lore" that aims not to clash with the base game.
It has a new world map. No brand new assets, but I'm using a mixture of physically rearranging the areas of Lordran and building new areas out of existing map pieces and collisions.
It has a heavily modified, faster-paced combat system. AinTunez has been tuning it up all year. (He's previously experimented with a much simpler version of this in QuickSouls.)
It will include modified enemies with heavily modified animations. No brand new enemy models, but lots of retexturing and decking out of existing ones. Meowmaritus has showed off snippets of this work on his Twitter.
It will have brand new NPCs with new voice acting. I experimented with some new "non-verbal characters" in DoA, without much other choice, but our improving ability to edit the character files and AinTunez's access to an incredible pool of voice talent has expanded our options here considerably. No hard promises on this one, as these files can be very time-consuming to playtest (think of all the different possible outcomes of each character interaction), but we think it's within reach.
It is larger and more ambitious than Daughters of Ash. That's probably obvious from the points above, but it will also extend to the things I went ham with in DoA: event scripting, boss design, and optional (and/or secret) questlines.
My three main contributions to the mod are the story, characters, and world map. I'll be sharing sneak peeks of these parts on Twitter now and then, with even more bonus goodies and details for my supporters on Patreon.

(Oh, and don't worry — we'll have a real team of playtesters for this one.)

From what I gathered on discord and there own pateron.

-Takes place "seconds" after the Darklord ending of 1. Takes place during the "Dawn" of the Age of Dark.
-Main character is not the Chosen Undead.
-Unlike Daughters of Ash, will not drastically change 1's lore, it is a sequel to it, not Daughters of Ash. Will not overwrite Dark Souls 2 and 3, "interquel" to those games.
-Will have fully voiced NPC's, with professional level of quality. New cast of NPC's.
-Map is a "twisted' disturbing reflection of Lordran, with completely altered paths and areas, with new assets, backgrounds, scenery, and secrets.
-Combat has been heavily altered, playing more similar to Dark Souls 3 then the vanilla game.
-Tons of completely new sets of armor, weapons, and items.
-New enemies and bosses (though due to limitations, they are being reserved to remodels and reskins). All returning enemies from the base game will have heavily modified behavior and new abilities.
-Eta on the first release of the mod is mid next year. A ton of work had already been put into it.

Screenshots.

Ej6PkusWAAEYFt8

EkIx5nMWAAIyNId

EkO8_GnWsAodEmE

The first shown enemy, the Azure Knight.
EfgNjWfXkAMrDk_

Hollow Thief new behavior

And the authors Patreon

Last edited:

Vertpin

Oct 27, 2017
>Closer to Dark Souls 3 play feel

Ehhhhh....I love what I'm seeing here, it's some really excellent work, but playing more similar Dark Souls 3 is not all that ideal. It's too fast, too weightless, and eliminated the feel of more heavier and tactile play styles 1 and 2 offered.

OP
OP
CenturionNami

CenturionNami

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
>Closer to Dark Souls 3 play feel

Ehhhhh....I love what I'm seeing here, it's some really excellent work, but playing more similar Dark Souls 3 is not all that ideal. It's too fast, too weightless, and eliminated the feel of more heavier and tactile play styles 1 and 2 offered.
I thought it was the perfect balance of Dark Souls 1 and BB, I prefer it over 1 and 2.

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The fact this plays more like 3 has me interested and I never played Daughter's of Ash.

Fact is Dark Souls 1 feels slow and boring compared to 3 which I feel perfects they Souls gameplay. Will certainly check it out on release.

OP
OP
CenturionNami

CenturionNami

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Really? See, I guess I am weird. I think its totally acceptable for Bloodborne, but Dark Souls 3? It was not all that great or as fun feeling, imo. I think it lead to the "R1" spam as well lol.
Way more dynamic then just the passive baiting Dark Souls 1 was. 9/10 enemies can be taken out just by hiding behind a shield and poke.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
I loved Daughters of Ash (Seriously, if you consider yourself a Dark Souls fan, you HAVE to play it) so hyped for this.

Amazing how much replay value the game has had for me thanks to mods.

Castor Archer

Jan 8, 2019
Really? See, I guess I am weird. I think its totally acceptable for Bloodborne, but Dark Souls 3? It was not all that great or as fun feeling, imo. I think it lead to the "R1" spam as well lol.
I'm with you. Shields and heavy armor were pointless in DS3. Not that Dark Souls 1's combat wasn't flawed because boy was it, but it was slightly less of a roll R1 spam fest than DS3, at least you had the option of standing your ground. Plus the enemy design changed to accommodate that and all the enemies just became slappy spammy hyper-aggressive.

Vertpin

Oct 27, 2017
I'm with you. Shields and heavy armor were pointless in DS3. Not that Dark Souls 1's combat wasn't flawed because boy was it, but it was slightly less of a roll R1 spam fest then DS3, at least you had the option of standing your ground. Plus the enemy design changed to accommodate that and all the enemies just became slappy spammy hyper-aggressive.
Thank you. I couldn't have put it into better words than you just did. I'm seriously hoping with Dark Souls 4 they return to combat similar to 1 and 2. I like the slower, more weighted combat.

edit: get rid of weapon arts, as well as the ashen estus/MP bar as well lol

OP
OP
CenturionNami

CenturionNami

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Thank you. I couldn't have put it into better words than you just did. I'm seriously hoping with Dark Souls 4 they return to combat similar to 1 and 2. I like the slower, more weighted combat.

edit: get rid of weapon arts, as well as the ashen estus/MP bar as well lol
Ummm no. FP bar is way better then charges. And weapon arts are in Sekiro, so thankfully it isn't going to happen.

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Changing combat?

That's a shame. My favorite part of DS1 is how broken a good tanky build is.

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
I thought it was the perfect balance of Dark Souls 1 and BB, I prefer it over 1 and 2.
It's just roll roll roll. You have near infinite stamina to roll, if an enemies about to attack you and you close your eyes and start spamming the dodge button there's like a 50% chance you'll iframe the attack. It's pure nonsense, lol.

OP
OP
CenturionNami

CenturionNami

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It's just roll roll roll. You have near infinite stamina to roll, if an enemies about to attack you and you close your eyes and start spamming the dodge button there's like a 50% chance you'll iframe the attack. It's pure nonsense, lol.
You can roll more because enemies are much faster, reactive and just don't sit there and die like 9/10 D1 mobs/bosses.

Vertpin

Oct 27, 2017
Ummm no. FP bar is way better then charges. And weapon arts are in Sekiro, so thankfully it isn't going to happen.
Ummm no. :P

I think the FP/Ashen Estus isn't all too balanced due to the sacrifice of normal Estus imo. But we can disagree, that's fine.

As for weapon arts, I'm totally all for it in a game like sekiro. I loved the take on it there.

ABK281

Apr 5, 2018
You can roll more because enemies are much faster, reactive and just don't sit there and die like 9/10 D1 mobs/bosses.
What are you even talking about, lmao. The combat in DS1 is near perfection, and the stamina system, iframes on rolls, and general speed of attacks both for the enemies and the player character are infinitely better balanced than DS3. DS3 tries to be Bloodborne yet it's not, the enemies are only more reactive because they more readily read your inputs, and nearly every enemy in the game is given some insane gap closer that in many cases isn't even consistent with the design of the enemy itself.

You're right that it feels like a mix of DS1 and BB, but I firmly believe that's because Bloodborne style combat is the kind Miyazaki wanted to make at the time or because it what he was most recently involved with, but it was a numbered Dark Souls game so it still had to sort of feel like a Dark Souls game. I don't think his heart was truly ever into the project which would explain how lazy large parts of the game are in terms of level design and story telling, and why the combat is so unrefined and confused at to what it's trying to do.

OP
OP
CenturionNami

CenturionNami

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
What are you even talking about, lmao. The combat in DS1 is near perfection, and the stamina system, iframes on rolls, and general speed of attacks both for the enemies and the player character are infinitely better balanced than DS3. DS3 tries to be Bloodborne yet it's not, the enemies are only more reactive because they more readily read your inputs, and nearly every enemy in the game is given some insane gap closer that in many cases isn't even consistent with the design of the enemy itself.

You're right that it feels like a mix of DS1 and BB, but I firmly believe that's because Bloodborne style combat is the kind Miyazaki wanted to make at the time or because it what he was most recently involved with, but it was a numbered Dark Souls game so it still had to sort of feel like a Dark Souls game. I don't think his heart was truly ever into the project which would explain how lazy large parts of the game are in terms of level design and story telling, and why the combat is so unrefined and confused at to what it's trying to do.
Such a bad take, lol.

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Hollllld up, I did not realize that Dark Souls modding was at a point where we can make TCs! I might actually wanna get into modding now, can anyone direct me to some starting resources?

OP
OP
CenturionNami

CenturionNami

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Dark Souls 3 has the best boss fights, induvial level design (not world design), and the combat is rightfully praised as the best in the series. Dark Souls 1 combat is extremely static in comparison.

Portmanteau

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

i don't feel like refuting this because it's entirely subjective (I prefer DS3, clearly), but to pretend that Miyazaki's heart "wasn't into it" is a pretty shitty and baseless insult to throw out for someone who spent years of their life on one single game. delete this.

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
On board except for 'faster combat', DS1's slower combat pace is just better.

OP
OP
CenturionNami

CenturionNami

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
i don't feel like refuting this because it's entirely subjective (I prefer DS3, clearly), but to pretend that Miyazaki's heart "wasn't into it" is a pretty shitty and baseless insult to throw out for someone who spent years of their life on one single game. delete this.
Yeah one of the most insulting things i've read. It's clear they have an axe to grind against the game.

AWizardDidIt

Oct 28, 2017
The Dark Souls modding community is just fantastic. I played Daughters of Ash last year and it's a really interesting way to replay the game. It wasn't entirely successful... the lore changes are a net negative imo (the way every woman in the lore is reframed as a victim to be avenged is just bizarre to me), the way it forces you to progress is at times brilliant and at other times frustrating, and the 'main quest' is esoteric to do even by Dark Souls standards. However the new bosses and way covenants are integrated are actually pretty cool and there's something thrilling about exploring Dark Souls like a fresh new game again. The author did in general a good job of remixing a lot of the areas.

Despite my issues with DoA, I think this is a project to legit look forward to.

OP
OP
CenturionNami

CenturionNami

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The Dark Souls modding community is just fantastic. I played Daughters of Ash last year and it's a really interesting way to replay the game. It wasn't entirely successful... the lore changes are a net negative imo (the way every woman in the lore is reframed as a victim to be avenged is just bizarre to me), the way it forces you to progress is at times brilliant and at other times frustrating, and the 'main quest' is esoteric to do even by Dark Souls standards. However the new bosses and way covenants are integrated are actually pretty cool and there's something thrilling about exploring Dark Souls like a fresh new game again.

Despite my issues with DoA, I think this is a project to legit look forward to.
Biggest problem imo. Did not like at all the changes to Gywn or Dusk either.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
That's crazy ambitious. Are there any uh, risks of copyright issues for something like this? This seems to go way beyond a mod and more into "unauthorized sequel" 👀
But I'm curious to see how it shapes up, even if I'm admittedly a bit skeptical.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
That's crazy ambitious. Are there any uh, risks of copyright issues for something like this? This seems to go way beyond a mod and more into "unauthorized sequel" 👀
But I'm curious to see how it shapes up, even if I'm admittedly a bit skeptical.
If it is free usually there will be no problem i guess

Gabriel Hall

Oct 27, 2017
I had a lot of fun with Daughters of Ash's new enemy placements and the way it created new progression paths through familiar areas. Also the post-game Black Phantom variants of some of the bosses, those fights really brought me back to feeling stressed and pushed to the limit like when I first got into Souls games. Will look forward to this new mod too. :)

OP
OP
CenturionNami

CenturionNami

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I mean as long as it's free, I don't think there's anything they can do.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
Someone that knows more about this stuff can maybe help me out? I had some mods in dark souls installed and i read the disclaimer of doing a backup but i just thought fuck it, my internet is fast, i'll just redownload when i wana get rid of it. But somehow steam knows now that i had those mods or something or there are some files somewhere that somehow go to the right place when i reinstall dark souls and it always reinstalls my mods when i redownload the game. Did i fuck up? Installing to another drive works but my other drive is an HDD and i don't want it there.