• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Simply blown away by this. It's like an actual sequel. If you don't want the craziest intro spoiled, don't watch. Plays like an entirely different game, and has some of the most insane shit ever put in a mod, alongside fully new voiced and acted NPC's, entirely new mechanics, new modelled enemies, new composed music, and the project's first boss, mostly custom boss.

hIZjtJh.png

It's also been announced Dane Brennand (one of the lead modelers of the Demon Souls Remake) is one of the major people involved with the mod.

dane-brennand-penetrator-01-16x9.jpg

Alongside AinTunez ; the audio direction of the DBZ Abridged team, whose bankrolling the project.

Dark Souls: Nightfall is a direct, fan-made sequel to Dark Souls with a new story, new combat system, new world map, and more.

Nightfall has no release date yet, but these opening events from the game's prologue will show you some of what the mod has in store.

Not affiliated with Bandai Namco or FromSoftware.

You can support the work of Meowmaritus and Grimrukh on Patreon!
patreon.com

Get more from Meowmaritus on Patreon

creating Dark Souls modding tools and mods
patreon.com

Get more from Grimrukh on Patreon

creating Dark Souls mods and game design essays
----------------
Team Nightfall is:

[ AinTunez ---- Has the Money ]
Project Management, Framework Design, Voice Direction, Music
https://twitter.com/AinTunez

[ Grimrukh ---- Has the Vision ]
Main Quest Design, World Design, Maps, Events, Writing

[ Meowmaritus ---- Has the Drive ]
Combat, Animation, VFX, AI, Sound Effects, ASM Hacks

[ horkrux --- Has the Patience ]
ASM Hacks, Cutscenes

[ Dane Brennand (aka SiriusTexra) ---- Has the Actual Souls Game Credits ]
3D Art, 2D Art, Writing

[ wulf2k ---- Has the Wife and Kids ]
Framework Design, ASM Hacks

[ Souv ---- Has the Painting Skills ]
2D Art

[ ZullieTheWitch ---- Eats Humanity for Breakfast ]
Writing, Sidequest Design

[ Itzli ---- Has the British Accent ]
Animation

Voice Credit: Martin Billany

Jan 27, 2020
Washington, DC
This is pretty neat. I like the idea of having you go to the kiln right at the start. Little rough to look at right after playing the new Demons Souls, but thats what Dark Souls looked like pretty much.

ignata

Dec 26, 2017
Denver
I usually stray from unofficial stuff, but I'm curious after watching this, I always want more Dark Souls I.

fierygunrob

One Winged Slayer
Jan 16, 2018
Getting vibes that they set out to make what majoras mask was to ocarina for dark souls, though that might just be down to the implied time mechanics/direct sequel aspect

thanks for sharing, I'll be keeping an eye on this.

OP
OP
CenturionNami

CenturionNami

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Getting vibes that they set out to make what majoras mask was to ocarina for dark souls, though that might just be down to the implied time mechanics/direct sequel aspect

thanks for sharing, I'll be keeping an eye on this.
It has dynamic transition to nightfall for the skybox, which is very Majora's Mask-esque,

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
Looks awesome. Definitely a fan game though.

First boss is more aggressive and attacks faster than Manus? Check.
Regular enemies have giant pools of health? Check.
Multiple stances and super saiyan powers? Check.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Looks pretty good, it's a shame the idea of expansion packs were replaced with smaller DLC, this looks like a perfect expansion pack concept.

OP
OP
CenturionNami

CenturionNami

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

That's kinda of necessary with mods; most people who play them are already very familiar with the vanilla games mechanics.

AWizardDidIt

Oct 28, 2017
I have an immense amount of respect for modders, especially when they do insane things like total conversions like this one.

That said, this does not look quite like the dark souls experience I'm looking for. I enjoyed Daughters of Ash a decent amount and will keep an eye on this though.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The lore nerd in me is triggered seeing the Kiln right next to the Asylum, unless they are going for DS3 dreg heap idea.

OP
OP
CenturionNami

CenturionNami

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
The lore nerd in me is triggered seeing the Kiln right next to the Asylum, unless they are going for DS3 dreg heap idea.
You can hear the Asylum quaking; like the land is being moved around at the start. I think it's Dreg-Heap-esque (And it make sense since the Age of Fire just died)

OP
OP
CenturionNami

CenturionNami

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I have an immense amount of respect for modders, especially when they do insane things like total conversions like this one.

That said, this does not look quite like the dark souls experience I'm looking for. I enjoyed Daughters of Ash a decent amount and will keep an eye on this though.
I don't know why; fully voiced NPC's, custom modelled and animated bosses, insane world design and mechanic, both in exploration and gameplay (rewind fucking time), it looks like it's beyond anything anyone has done before.

ditusjack

Oct 26, 2017
This is really great, love the changes to movement and moveset, it fits quite well for something happening just as the original ends, the chosen undead doing the darklord ending in real time in front of the player character is neat as fuck the npc dialogue, the glimpse of the boss on the horizon.
Really hyped for this.

cyrix

Oct 27, 2017
This looks really neat, a lot of cool ideas about how to rework the base game into a new experience!

A little confused on what remaining cinders mean.

So the way I interpreted it is that once you reached the lord vessel chamber and received the "12 Cinders remaining" message a timer starts and the Cinders go out every X amount of time, but you can use the "Gwyn's Locket" item to go back in time to the lord vessel room where you started while keeping your items and levels. I assume the end goal is to basically make multiple runs through the world without reaching the cinders in time but gaining knowledge and levels/items until you can use the Locket to revert time and get all the cinders in one go to win the game (restarting the age of fire i guess?)

Last edited:
OP
OP
CenturionNami

CenturionNami

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
This looks really neat, a lot of coll ideas about how to rework the base game into a new experience!

So the way I interpreted it is that once you reached the lord vessel chamber and received the "12 Cinders remaining" message a timer starts and the Cinders go out every X amount of time, but you can use the "Gwyn's Locket" item to go back in time to the lord vessel room where you started while keeping your items and levels. I assume the end goal is to basically make multiple runs through the world without reaching the cinders in time but gaining knowledge and levels/items until you can use the Locket to revert time and get all the cinders in one go to win the game (restarting the age of fire i guess?)
It looks to be like a countdown; the game looks very reminiscent of Majora's Mask.

cyrix

Oct 27, 2017
It looks to be like a countdown; the game looks very reminiscent of Majora's Mask.
I had the same thought, very Majora like! i wonder if there will be a bunch of other things that happen on a timer too, NPC movement (or deaths maybe) shop inventories, maybe you will even need to revert time to finish side quests that you can only start later in the timeline and stuff! :P

Qrusher14242

Oct 29, 2017

Yeah those first enemies have a ton of health. It almost plays like its NG+ except you have low health. Looks interesting, will maybe try it when it comes out. Also having that as the first boss is something. Aslyum Demon was the perfect intro boss in DS1, this seems geared more for the hardcore DS crowd. I guess those are who are probably going to download it.

OP
OP
CenturionNami

CenturionNami

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
It's getting tons of attention. I hope Bandai dosen't send takedown.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
This looks really neat, a lot of cool ideas about how to rework the base game into a new experience!

Ohhh cool.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
So I guess the entire behind the story is that you end up becoming the "Soul of Cinder"? That would make a lot of sense

OP
OP
CenturionNami

CenturionNami

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Almost 100, 000 views and the souls community has gathered around it. Good to see hope finally.