• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Huh. I swear I read in the release from Namco that the Switch version is handled by another team and it's just a port with the increased player count online. However, the Remaster for Steam, PS4, and Xbox One were that but also running in the dark souls 3 engine with new SFX, visuals, and updated textures and done by another team.
You misread it the last part, though the port is done by another team.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Never played any of the games in this series, yet hear it referenced all the damned time

So glad this is finally coming to a Nintendo console for me to try out

SonicXtreme

Oct 27, 2017
Meh, i'd be into it if it were Demon's Souls.

I finished Dark Souls and loved it but i'm probably never playing it again.
dark souls gets better each time you play it due to how open it is and how many ways there are to play it and how many pieces to the lore are all around

u r missin out on the true experience

its also a pretty short game once you know what's up

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
PC gets a 50% loyalty discount.

91UGSek.png

So $20 upgrade I assume. Also confirmed $40 on their own website.

https://www.bandainamcoentstore.com/product/465462/dark-souls-remastered-xbox-one
Awesome news.

I have never played Dark Souls before, should I wait for this or dive in with DS3 ?
Wait for this. Dark Souls 3 is at its best when played after Dark Souls 1, specifically.

butman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So GOTY this year will be savage between Dark Souls, Shadow of The Colossus and TWEWY

buxtoc

Oct 29, 2017
UK
Not had a Playstation since PS2 and never owned an XBOX so not familiar with the game (although I am aware it is a loved series) Am I right in thinking that the combat plays a bit like Monster Hunter? And is it Bloodborne which is the game that is more beginner friendly?

Nephilim

Oct 28, 2017
Huh. I swear I read in the release from Namco that the Switch version is handled by another team and it's just a port with the increased player count online. However, the Remaster for Steam, PS4, and Xbox One were that but also running in the dark souls 3 engine with new SFX, visuals, and updated textures and done by another team.
I thought the Switch version to be the remastered version but capped at 30fps? Is this wrong?

Hoo-doo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
dark souls gets better each time you play it due to how open it is and how many ways there are to play it and how many pieces to the lore are all around

u r missin out on the true experience

its also a pretty short game once you know what's up

I played it to completion with various classes and many builds. Believe me, I squeezed as much out of the game as I could. I also played it on PC with Durante's DSfix.
So for someone who didn't do these things, this news is incredible because it's an incredible game.

But me? I'd much rather see a remaster of Demon's Souls. Especially when Dark Souls with it's PC version still holds up well and is by all means a very recent game.

Isee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
Never played 1 but looking to get into it. I'll jump on the Switch version if it plays well.

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Glad people that haven't played them before can try them, but man this is the reason I don't stick with a single platform/company.
Eh, there can be many reasons. Personally I've had a 5 year slog or so. Hate to be stuck to a TV, hated the 3DS, Wii U gamepad mediocre compromise. Heck, didn't even play 3D World on Wii U, only Mario I have skipped. PS4 never caught my interest like PS3. A lot of games slipped under my radar and now I wanna try them. Looking forward to my first Dark Souls experience.

Just trying to paint a picture of the many ways you can avoid playing Dark Souls up until now, hehe.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
How does that confirm DS3 lighting isn't coming? I would certainly expect the lighting and textures to improve.

Though tbf the textures are already really good.

man, i'd get the switch version if it ran 60fps. leaning heavily towards pc or ps4.

At first I was like "but they said it will be higher framerate."

And then I remembered Blighttown.

butman

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Can't wait to see the Switch version of Blighttown

Vertpin

Oct 27, 2017
So, it sounds like its a port with bug fixes and multiplayer body count increased, as what Fextralife claims. They also claim that they're helping development.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Omegasquash

Oct 31, 2017
i actually think I'll roll up a new character on my PC in preparation for the Switch/PS4 versions.

I'll be buying both, you see.

Falconbox

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buffalo, NY
Just a heads up, looks like the remaster might not have the DS 3 lighting and effects after all:
"Bandai Namco says The Dark Souls remaster will not use new assets from dks3."
https://fextralife.com/dark-souls-remaster-coming-switch-ps4-xbox-one-may-25th-2018/

"Original communications on the project cited Dark Souls 3 graphics style revamps, but we have removed their mention to avoid user confusion regarding mechanics. "

So, clearly people were getting ahead of themselves thinking a DkS3 engine meant new rolling, combat, etc for DkS Remaster.

I didn't expect full DkS3 assets to be replacing DkS1 assets, but I still hope it looks good.

Wong Kar Why

Unshakable Resolve
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

ReCross

Oct 25, 2017
Man, just thinking about experienced souls players invading first time switch players makes me smile a little inside. Wonder how people will react to that, because playing any souls offline takes half of the fun away!

Anyways, a remaster of one of my favorite games ever is always welcome. Time for some PvP duels in the Kiln again!

Dimmle

Oct 25, 2017
Not had a Playstation since PS2 and never owned an XBOX so not familiar with the game (although I am aware it is a loved series) Am I right in thinking that the combat plays a bit like Monster Hunter? And is it Bloodborne which is the game that is more beginner friendly?
I think the comparison between Dark Souls and Monster Hunter is apt in the sense that they are both action games where your movement and actions are very deliberate and you have to commit to animations. They also both share boss pattern memorization to an extent, though I'd say boss patterns are more crucial to learn in Dark Souls. If you like Monster Hunter, there's probably something to enjoy in Dark Souls' combat.

And honestly, you can start with any Souls game. They're pretty much all about as unfriendly as the next. I'd just suggest the most recent. If the remaster turns out well, go with that.

Khamsinvera

Oct 31, 2017
I would've shelled out $60 for the DS remastered on PC without a second thought ... but $20? Damn, now I feel like I'm stealing it!