• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
No. These games aren't actually as difficult as some like to make them out to be. There is a learning curve yes but if you take an hour or two to learn how it works (like pretty much any other game) then you'll be fine.

*nods* Their difficulty is over-stated. Whilst they do rely on luck at points (NG+ Four Kings can go die in a fire), as long as you pay attention to attack/defense patterns and the environment, and learn what stats to level up, it's like any other medium-hard game. If you're willing to put the time in to grind levels, you don't even need to learn the harder moves - block, attack and roll will get you through everywhere if you're a high enough level.

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, the games aren't that difficult. They are challenging for sure, but aren't that hard to beat if you get used to it. Plus, the easy mode as always is co-op. Which, is fun. I love putting down my soapsign and helping others.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Yeah, the games aren't that difficult. They are challenging for sure, but aren't that hard to beat if you get used to it. Plus, the easy mode as always is co-op. Which, is fun. I love putting down my soapsign and helping others.

Speak for yourself.

Is it so hard for people to understand that not everyone are as elite as some of you guys.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Speak for yourself.

Is it so hard for people to understand that not everyone are as elite as some of you guys.

Nah, she/he (sorry, don't know) is right, imo. Dark Souls is more about learning the area layout, where enemies hide, what move-sets the enemies/bosses have. If you die, then most of the times you did something that led to you dying. I'd agree that it's challenging.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
The only thing difficult in base Souls game is jank ass Ornstein and Smough. Most everything else is easy once you learn the ropes. The only time Souls felt hard was DS2 DLC. They just went crazy with the difficulty there, fucking Fume Knight.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Speak for yourself.

It's really not any more difficult than something like Megaman 2. It's all about persistence. Dying in Dark Souls rewards both the player and your character, in that you learn enemy positions and attack patterns and your character amasses more and more souls (assuming you can get back to your bloodstain, which is not that hard more often than not) with which you can level up or buy new items.

It's a difficult game but the difficulty is extremely fair. It's not a punishing game.

The only thing difficult in base Souls game is jank ass Ornstein and Smough. Most everything else is easy once you learn the ropes. The only time Souls felt hard was DS2 DLC. They just went crazy with the difficulty there, fucking Fume Knight.

Yeah I'll say Ornstein and Smough is the only really intense difficulty spike in the game. Part of me thinks that the designers intended you to need to summon for this fight, since you're never really in a 2 on 1 scenario like that for the rest of the game.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
It's really not any more difficult than something like Megaman 2. It's all about persistence. Dying in Dark Souls rewards both the player and your character, in that you learn enemy positions and attack patterns and your character amasses more and more souls (assuming you can get back to your bloodstain, which is not that hard more often than not) with which you can level up or buy new items.

It's a difficult game but the difficulty is extremely fair. It's not a punishing game.

Yeah I'll say Ornstein and Smough is the only really intense difficulty spike in the game. Part of me thinks that the designers intended you to need to summon for this fight, since you're never really in a 2 on 1 scenario like that for the rest of the game.

Oh I know about dying. I think I spent 2 hours on Jay and Silent Bob the first time I played the game. That was before I knew you could summon Solaire, because I was always playing hollow, was afraid of being invaded, I hate PvP.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I started this series with Dark Souls 2 and recently started Dark Souls 3. I put down 3 before finishing it because I wanted to wait for this to come out so I could play all three in order, so I picked up Bloodborne instead to play it a second time. I forget how fast that game is. How fast is Dark Souls 1 compared to Bloodborne with regard to gameplay?

Deleted member 2229

Oct 25, 2017
Speak for yourself.

It has nothing to do with being elite. Everyone started at the bottom and worked their way up, anyone thats "elite" is only at that point because they practised through playing the game and learning. Something everyone is capable of. Theyre not saying "yeah i could do a naked level 1 no hit playthrough in about an hour, piece of cake".

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
I started this series with Dark Souls 2 and recently started Dark Souls 3. I put down 3 before finishing it because I wanted to wait for this to come out so I could play all three in order, so I picked up Bloodborne instead to play it a second time. I forget how fast that game is. How fast is Dark Souls 1 compared to Bloodborne with regard to gameplay?
Rather slow.

Pulp

Nov 4, 2017
That moment when you first arrive at Anor Londo after clearing Sens Fortress is one of my favourite moments in gaming. Looking forward to playing it again when it comes out. Not totally decided on platform yet. Curious about the Switch version

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
It has nothing to do with being elite. Everyone started at the bottom and worked their way up, anyone thats "elite" is only at that point because they practised through playing the game and learning. Something everyone is capable of. Theyre not saying "yeah i could do a naked level 1 no hit playthrough in about an hour, piece of cake".

Fair enough, I guess it just gets to me, not just here but on other boards as well, people saying a game is easy, git gud when others are struggling.

isahn

Nov 15, 2017
Roma
That moment when you first arrive at Anor Londo after clearing Sens Fortress is one of my favourite moments in gaming. Looking forward to playing it again when it comes out. Not totally decided on platform yet. Curious about the Switch version
closely followed by one of the most enraging moment: the Anor Londo archers. These guys can be annoying... :\

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
closely followed by one of the most enraging moment: the Anor Londo archers. These guys can be annoying... :\

Bonus point if you act as a third archer
pEtCSUT.gif

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Speak for yourself.

It has nothing to do with being ''elite''.

If DSP beat all the souls game ANYONE can also do it too.

Their difficutly is very, very overblown.

Will they add an easy mode? That would be good.

No, cuz FS isn't a terrible developer that likes to ruin their own games based on ''fan'' feedback.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Chances that this plays well on Switch?

On the fence on trying it cause I hated DS1 when I first played it. Love Demon's and Bloodborne; thought DS3 was alright but sort of too much deja vu and not a whole lot of new stuff.

Zushin

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Speak for yourself.

It's not hard so much as it is obtuse to start with. You (the player, not you personally) feel lost and don't really understand the mechanics. Bosses themselves aren't difficult to defeat execution wise, the perceived difficulty comes from learning their patterns. Probably the hardest game I completed was Ninja Gaiden 2 and that shit felt hard to pull off even if you learnt the mechanics. Dark Souls is easily overcome with perseverance where as something like Ninja Gaiden 2 is not necessarily. All this is my opinion ofc :)

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017

Nah, I'm good at DS. But my boyfriend has terrible reflexes and can't respond as carefully to actions as DS demands so unforgivingly. I believe the Souls series could benefit from a separate, forgiving easy mode for players like this to enjoy the game that is separate from normal mode and players. I know a lot disagree with that but I don't care, I think it stems from elitism and selfishness, since it has nothing to do with them.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Nah, I'm good at DS. But my boyfriend has terrible reflexes and can't respond as carefully to actions as DS demands so unforgivingly. I believe the Souls series could benefit from a separate, forgiving easy mode for players like this to enjoy the game that is separate from normal mode and players. I know a lot disagree with that but I don't care, I think it stems from elitism and selfishness, since it has nothing to do with them.
It doesn't matter what the core want, or what you want. It matters what From want, and they are very clearly not interested in easy modes.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017

These games are very slow paced, I don't see how slow reflexes would be an issue. They're about learning encounters.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
. But my boyfriend has terrible reflexes and can't respond as carefully to actions as DS demands so unforgivingly. I believe the Souls series could benefit from a separate, forgiving easy mode for players like this to enjoy the game that is separate from normal mode and players. I know a lot disagree with that but I don't care, I think it stems from elitism and selfishness, since it has nothing to do with them.

Then he shoud find another game to play.

It really doesn't matter how bad or how good your mechanics and reaction times are. Excuses and more excuses. Anyone can finish a Souls game.
There are ways to go around in Souls games, plenty of them in fact. Ways that don't require you to do anything special, just a bit of attetion.

Why would FS add an easy mode when it's already in the game? It's not their fault that most that ask for it are lazy and don't even bother to play the game properly.

Deleted member 2229

Oct 25, 2017
Not to be a dick, but reflexes are also a practicable skill. Some people might have a natural affinity for it, but its nothibg that cant be improved through practice and repetition, barring any actual disability.

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
Might pick this up for the Switch if none of my friends buy it for the PS4. Dark Souls on the go? Mind-blowing.

Performance is going to be abysmal regardless of the plataform I believe.

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
Then he shoud find another game to play.

It really doesn't matter how bad or how good your mechanics and reaction times are. Excuses and more excuses. Anyone can finish a Souls game.
There are ways to go around in Souls games, plenty of them in fact. Ways that don't require you to do anything special, just a bit of attetion.

Why would FS add an easy mode when it's already in the game? It's not their fault that most that ask for it are lazy and don't even bother to play the game properly.

Exactly. Not every game is for everyone. Its no knock on anyone as a gamer or person, its just that not every game needs to cater to every single potential audience member.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
We have a thread that goes very in depth as to why this isn't the case. If you'd like to read up on the subject you'd see why that baseless assumption is unfair to the souls community.

The Living Tribunal

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

The thing is, the pacing of Dark Souls IS slow. Unless you try to parry every single shit the game throws at you, having terrible reflexes shouldn't be much of a concern.

Study the enemies' patterns, work on your build and be patient. That's all you need to beat these games.

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
The thing is, the pacing of Dark Souls IS slow. Unless you try to parry every single shit the game throws at you, having terrible reflexes shouldn't be much of a concern.

Study the enemies' patterns, work on your build and be patient. That's all you need to beat these games.

Not when shit jumps at you and kills you in one hit if you're not dodging or blocking at the right second.

An easy mode that gives more health or makes enemy hits less dangerous or something to make it less punishing, that is separate with separate players, literally has nothing to do with the current player base, and it wouldn't subject them to interact with each other. This can enable the enjoyment of the game to people who are disabled or lack the ability or time to get good enough reflexes to progress through the main game mode, and if you're offended by the idea of more accessibility to more players through optional modes that you don't have to interact with but create more opportunities for others like my bf, I think it's selfish and elitist.

It doesn't matter what the core want, or what you want. It matters what From want, and they are very clearly not interested in easy modes.

So I've heard. And that's fine. But I just don't think it would hurt anybody if there was one, and if they could include it.

Last edited:

BernardoOne

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
DS is the slowest game in the series with some pretty darn long wind up animations and all attacks are telegraphed well advance. In no way is good reflexes needed to beat Dark Souls

Gustaf

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
so if i never finished dark souls before, and finish the remaster,

it will be counted as if i had finished Dark souls? or you guy going to be really anal about it

Deleted member 2340

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it possible to play as a mage tyoe character in this game?

I find Shield and Sword and physical weapon gameplay boring in these types of games. It's one of the reasons I found blood borne boring.