• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017

The Switch in portable mode can also exhibit noticeable frame pacing issues. Portable mode renders at a native resolution of 1280x720. Docked mode uses a dynamic resolution that switches between 1280x720, 1600x900 and 1920x1080. Docked mode also appears to switch 2xMSAA on and off based on load. Docked mode seems to usually render at 1920x1080 with MSAA turned off and the resolution seems to rarely drop down to 1280x720.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
Curious to see if any of these breakdowns include Blighttown. It played well at PAX East.

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like From Software is not capable of implementing a 30 fps cap properly. The frame pacing issue exists in all of their 30 fps capped games.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Technically quite passable. But audio quality has to improve massively for the final release.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh frame pacing issues and half the frame rate of the other versions.

No thank you.

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
Seems like From Software is not capable of implementing a 30 fps cap properly. The frame pacing issue exists in all of their 30 fps capped games.

This. I just don't think they're a particularly good development studio when it comes to the real nitty gritty technical stuff. They're absolute masters of gameplay and level design, but in terms of visuals and performance they're a long way behind many other devs.

chobel

Attempting to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

tsSpNeX.jpg

Apenheul

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
I just hate frame pacing issues... It's a FROM Software game so I'm not really sure why I even hoped for a better scenario. Still it seems to run a little bit better than Bloodborne which I managed to endure, I'm keeping my pre-order.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Does the Switch version not have motion blur or did the person recording this turn it off? Makes the frame pacing look way, way worse without it.

I just hate frame pacing issues... It's a FROM Software game so I'm not really sure why I even hoped for a better scenario. Still it seems to run a little bit better than Bloodborne which I managed to endure, I'm keeping my pre-order.

I don't think it does. You still notice the issue, not arguing there, but Bloodborne has motion blur and looks nowhere near as janky as this port.

Apenheul

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
I don't think it does. You still notice the issue, not arguing there, but Bloodborne has motion blur and looks nowhere near as janky as this port.
Well, I haven't played the network test of DS on Switch but if you look up the Digital Foundry analysis of Bloodborne the frame pacing graph is even much more erratic. It could definitely feel different when playing in person though.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Reminds me of Bloodborne on PS4. Also suffered from terrible framepacing. Didn't stop me from playing it for hours and almost get the plat trophy and becoming my favorite PS4 game but it still sucks.

I don't know much about framepacing but would it theoretically possible to be fixed with a better CPU (without further programming) or do you have to optimize the code to completely eliminate it?

Plum

May 31, 2018
Yep, I knew there was a dynamic resolution feature in there. I managed to get it to switch on and off repeatedly in a select few situations in the demo.

Frankly I'm not looking forward to how later and more intense areas perform and look. If it drops in an area as relatively 'calm' as the Undead Parish then what is it like with Blightown, New Londo, or bosses such as Seath and the Bed of Chaos?

Bouniter

Oct 25, 2017
Well I was on the fence wanted the switch version for portability, but with the poor framerate, online and lack of anyway to back up my save, I guess I'll go pick up a cheap ps4 copy. Your loss Nintendo.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This. I just don't think they're a particularly good development studio when it comes to the real nitty gritty technical stuff. They're absolute masters of gameplay and level design, but in terms of visuals and performance they're a long way behind many other devs.
At this point it's inexcusable. The vast majority of games ship without frame pacing issues.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Can you even backup your save on PS4?

Yep, just checked and my NG+ DaS: Remastered save is in my account's online storage. So it's essentially Bandai Namco fucking over Switch owners for no reason in particular; there isn't even a nonsense excuse like with Nintendo and Splatoon 2.

Buddy

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I played trough bloodborn back when it released and had a good time...seems I am not that sensible to framrdrops or framepacing issues.

Will give this a go later....

logash

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it felt pretty bad when I played it yesterday. Does this confirm that the issue that caused the delay was the network code? I thought that the demos that people played before this test ran a solid 30 FPS with no frame pacing?

Mechanized

Oct 27, 2017
Does the Switch version not have motion blur or did the person recording this turn it off? Makes the frame pacing look way, way worse without it.

It does not. And suffers greatly because of it. The resolution looked great for the most part, but the lack of motion blur made the game unplayable for me.

Beatle

Dec 4, 2017
This gaming guy finds it smooth and responsive, particularly in handheld, I've seen a few of these reviews of the test and they mostly come across quite positive

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
This all port has been a shit show all the way to the release it seems. Unexplained delay although it was first announced by Nintendo in a direct, and now significant technical flaws. It 100% deserves to bomb.

BloodshotX

Jan 25, 2018
Technically quite passable. But audio quality has to improve massively for the final release.
indeed, and for a change Virtuous games actually included a 5.1 audio track on switch, the last game they did on switch was converted (horribly) to stereo(talking about la noire). And ps4 and xbox 1 versions of la noire where also done by virtuous and also had loads of audio issues.

Lets hope its just the network beta.

Can anyone who played the game at pax or e3 tell how the audio quality was there? i assume people used headphones for playing

Kinoli

Nov 27, 2017
I don't know if From Soft ported it, but yikes. It's almost like playing the original DS. A GPD XD probably could run it more or less the same way.

VG Tech

Oct 28, 2017
Something that I forgot to mention is that I only saw the 2xMSAA turn on when the game was rendering at 1920x1080.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
So probably wouldn't mind playing this in handheld mode. I'll take consistent 720p native on the screen over dynamic resolution on my tv. That audio though...

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Can I just say as someone who never played DS, that I am shocked at how it just threw me in here with no idea what the controls are, ans why is b button the confirm button? What is this shit? How can I possibly aim my spells as a witch?

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
This all port has been a shit show all the way to the release it seems. Unexplained delay although it was first announced by Nintendo in a direct, and now significant technical flaws. It 100% deserves to bomb.
What shit show?

I'm not so sure about significant technical flaws, but it more or less runs like DS Prepare to Die with DSfix and some variable resolution/AA thrown it.

For the last test I played in handheld and didn't really encounter any performance issues aside from not being able to summon/invade successfully as much as I'd want. This time, though, I played on handheld, and if there's anything I can attest too, it doesn't seem to drop down from native res during normal runs. Visual IQ is at least better than Xenoblade Chronicle 2's in handheld mode (including its expansion). I can still make out detail when undocked.

Yeah, it felt pretty bad when I played it yesterday. Does this confirm that the issue that caused the delay was the network code? I thought that the demos that people played before this test ran a solid 30 FPS with no frame pacing?
I definitely think its network code. Day 1 had the worst performance because of servers getting overloaded with invasions/summons. Day 2 was much much better.

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017
Oh boy, so much "lazy devs" rhetoric in here. I get there's criticism but geez guys.

No one's calling them lazy. But considering frame pacing has been a consistent criticism of From games, and this is a remaster of a 7 year old game on a modern system, seeing frame pacing is just extremely disappointing at this point, and goes to show that the devs don't give a shit about the most persistent criticism leveled against them.

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
What shit show?

I'm not so sure about significant technical flaws, but it more or less runs like DS Prepare to Die with DSfix and some variable resolution/AA thrown it.

For the last test I played in handheld and didn't really encounter any performance issues aside from not being able to summon/invade successfully as much as I'd want. This time, though, I played on handheld, and if there's anything I can attest too, it doesn't seem to drop down from native res during normal runs. Visual IQ is at least better than Xenoblade Chronicle 2's in handheld mode (including its expansion). I can still make out detail when undocked.

I definitely think its network code. Day 1 had the worst performance because of servers getting overloaded with invasions/summons. Day 2 was much much better.
It does not, at all

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Since I still have never personally identified frame pacing issues in any game I've played, I guess I'm okay -- sorry for those who are sensitive to it, though it's par for the course for the series. I get it, though. On my end, I'm pretty irked by what sounds like really compressed audio. Still hoping that it was just to make the network test file size smaller, but I'm not holding out much hope.

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
I beg to differ.

I was playing it dock on Day 1 and 2. There wasn't any noticable alliasing especially when compared to a non-DSfix version on PC.
You said DSfix, you can achieve multiple AA variants on PC. Please stop pulling things out of your ass, people on here will believe you.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a bit surprised it manages to hit 30 most of the time. When I played the demo, it felt quite jerky. Not as smooth as Breath of the Wild, for example. I played in handheld mode though. Wonder if performance is worse there than docked.