• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ThisOne

Oct 27, 2017
Just beat Sen's Fortress, onto Anor Londo. Great game so far.

Couple of questions: Is it worth going back to Blightown to do the Great Hollow? Also, what's at the bottom of the pit in Sen's Fortress? Anything worth grabbing?

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK

Couple of questions: Is it worth going back to Blightown to do the Great Hollow? Also, what's at the bottom of the pit in Sen's Fortress? Anything worth grabbing?
Do the Great Hollow once you can warp, makes it easier to get oiut.

The tarpit at the bottom of Sen's has a bunch of Titanite Demons - nice if you need some Demon Titanite for a weapon upgrade. Nothing much else - a halberd type weapon, a soul item and a way to the giant at the top for another chunk.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017

Some good loot in the Great Hollow, plus one of my favorite areas atmosphere-wise and some other bonuses beyond that. :) Stuff for boss weapon upgrades at the bottom of Sen's.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
Fuck the Great Hollow. My LEAST favorite part of the game. Pseudo-platforming garbage, always sliding off or getting stuck on shitty geometry... I'd rather fight Bed of Chaos a few more times.

itwasTuesday

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Question time.
Do you need to be human for humanities to increase drop rate? Or do they work the same whether you are undead or not.
I can only find the table that says how much each humanity increases the drop rate.

Rackham

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
London
I need to git gud at beating invaders. But I've got lag backstabbed multiple times, utterly stupid. I killed one in Anor Londo who stubled upon my 2 summons. I feel like some noob but whatever, invaders don't fight fair either.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oct 28, 2017
My first playthrough, I've just been using the Drake sword. Just got to anor Londo. Are there any other swords that are close in damage to it that I could have at this point? I wouldn't mind something else, but the 240 dmg it does (upgraded a couple times) is hard to resist.

Moose the Mooche

User-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Netherlands
SL91 is end game level. O&S is SL40-50.

Yeah, 91 for O&S is rather high.. i just beat them solo at Soul level 44 or something and i am nowhere really good. Just avarage.. but my claymore+7 is doing lots of damage with my quality build.

After then i took cleared out Dukes, 1st tried Priscilla (chopped her tail as well) and right now i am reaching the end of the Catacombs which i like much more then i did back in 2011. This game is pretty easy man. Only O&S took me a couple of tries because i swapped from uchi to the claymore for that fight and needed to adjust the speed of that weapon. Besides that i did all the bosses solo first try.
The areas are much harder then the bosses.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
My first playthrough, I've just been using the Drake sword. Just got to anor Londo. Are there any other swords that are close in damage to it that I could have at this point? I wouldn't mind something else, but the 240 dmg it does (upgraded a couple times) is hard to resist.

By that point you've got a lot of options. The Drake Sword gets surpassed in damage around the time you reach Sen's, depending on how many titanites you manage to find. There's Quelaag's Furysword if you're Dex, made by the blacksmith in the catacombs, the Murakumo which can be bought from Darkroot Garden past the sealed door (or farmed from giant skeletons), or the silver knight straight sword, which you'll have access to soon. If you're Strength, there's the Man-Serpent Greatsword in Sen's, Demon Great Machete in Demon Ruins or purchasable in Darkroot Garden. For both Dex and Strength, you can get the Gravelord Sword from the Catacombs or make a fire weapon at the Catacombs blacksmith which will work well for the Anor Londo bosses.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Any weapon at +10 should match or surpass Drake Sword.

Drake Sword doesn't scale with stats (your stats give extra damage to weapons) - so if you've been leveling up STR or DEX, now you can finally see the benefit of doing so. Look at your stats and pick a weapon that scales well with what you've been leveling up. For example, if you've been dumping a load of points in to STR, find a weapon that scales well with strength - the letter grading on the weapons stats page tells you this, it goes S, A to E.

You've probably picked up a ton of weapons as loot and drops by now, so have a look through your inventory. Every weapon is viable to take you from start to finish in the game as long as you are upgrading it and are levling up the relevant stats to get bonus damage from it.

foYeP.jpg

Remember when comparing damage output to the Drake Sword, you are comparing unupgraded weapons to it, so it would be an unfair comparison. Better to find a weapon you like the moveset of and just upgrade it. Drake Sword did it's job, but by the time you ring both bells it's outmatched by most other weapons.

Last edited:

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
By that point you've got a lot of options. The Drake Sword gets surpassed in damage around the time you reach Sen's, depending on how many titanites you manage to find. There's Quelaag's Furysword if you're Dex, made by the blacksmith in the catacombs, the Murakumo which can be bought from Darkroot Garden past the sealed door (or farmed from giant skeletons), or the silver knight straight sword, which you'll have access to soon. If you're Strength, there's the Man-Serpent Greatsword in Sen's, Demon Great Machete in Demon Ruins or purchasable in Darkroot Garden. For both Dex and Strength, you can get the Gravelord Sword from the Catacombs or make a fire weapon at the Catacombs blacksmith which will work well for the Anor Londo bosses.
Quelaag's Furysword is made by the Giant Blacksmith in Anor Londo, since it's forged from a boss soul.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Any weapon at +10 should match or surpass Drake Sword.

Drake Sword doesn't scale with stats (your stats give extra damage to weapons) - so if you've been leveling up STR or DEX, now you can finally see the benefit of doing so. Look at your stats and pick a weapon that scales well with what you've been leveling up. For example, if you've been dumping a load of points in to STR, find a weapon that scales well with strength - the letter grading on the weapons stats page tells you this, it goes S, A to E.

You've probably picked up a ton of weapons as loot and drops by now, so have a look through your inventory. Every weapon is viable to take you from start to finish in the game as long as you are upgrading it and are levling up the relevant stats to get bonus damage from it.

Remember when comparing damage output to the Drake Sword, you are comparing unupgraded weapons to it, so it would be an unfair comparison. Better to find a weapon you like the moveset of and just upgrade it. Drake Sword did it's job, but by the time you ring both bells it's outmatched by most other weapons.

Add onto this that if you use even the basic magic weapon with an oolacile catalyst(Can't do this on the drake sword) you'll be adding another 144(198 if you use great magic weapon) magic damage to the weapon. You can get a LOT more damage from better catalysts/intelligence/spells, too.

Gold pine resin will add 150 damage, ftr.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
Anyone on Xbox One able to drop for me a couple of weapons to finish off my The Knight's Honor Achievement?

- Greatshield of Artorias
- Great Lord Greatsword

Would really appreciate it, save me a 3rd run though, thanks!

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Yeah, 91 for O&S is rather high.. i just beat them solo at Soul level 44 or something and i am nowhere really good. Just avarage.. but my claymore+7 is doing lots of damage with my quality build.

After then i took cleared out Dukes, 1st tried Priscilla (chopped her tail as well) and right now i am reaching the end of the Catacombs which i like much more then i did back in 2011. This game is pretty easy man. Only O&S took me a couple of tries because i swapped from uchi to the claymore for that fight and needed to adjust the speed of that weapon. Besides that i did all the bosses solo first try.
The areas are much harder then the bosses.

For sure. It's interesting how the designers didn't really view bosses as an enormous roadblock to be overcome by players but rather as a final challenge to bookend an area. DSII still has easy bosses for the most part but you can see them really ramping up the difficulty with some of the optional bosses (Smelter Demon, Pursuer if you fight him early or with low ADP). But the Fume Knight and others show the new philosophy of Boss design: bosses with a ton of HP and complex movesets spread out through phases that must be learned through trial and error. A boss like Orphan of Kos is the culmination of this form of game design.

I'm not complaining as I like the hard boss fights, but I find it curious that one of the aspects of DS1 that stands out as more antiquated is the bosses. Back in 2012 I found most bosses extremely difficult and killing them in 4 hits now just feels bizarre.

Deleted member 36767

Banned
Dec 24, 2017
Chicago
I HATE the Anor Londo archers. Basically no space to fight them and the other shoots me in the ass as I go for the one on the right. Had to stop for today or I would throw my controller at the screen. I need tips.

You can kill them both with poison arrows from where the two enemies with the demon Spears are. They can't hit you if you position yourself properly. Arc the arrows for distance and once you get the poison going in NG at least, it takes 1 time poisoning to kill them.

Deleted member 36767

Banned
Dec 24, 2017
Chicago
Balder Side Sword is supposed to be good? upgraded one to +14 and it's disappointing. Lightning Uchi +5 does A LOT more dmg in every situation it seems. buffing doesn't even seem to help the BSS much.

hmm. is it the moveset that makes it so desirable or what?

edit: i don't have a high STR or DEX (iirc 16 and 22), but still the BSS seems oddly weak. did they nerf it..?

Max out Dex to 40 or 50 then try it out. It does excellent damage at high dex levels. However, you may prefer the Uchi in the long run anyway as a matter of preference.

JJShadow

Oct 25, 2017
UK/Spain
I only used a couple a weapons during my playthrough: Estoc and Iaito (DEX build). Not sure how it compares to other weapons, but the Iaito felt OP as fuck, upgraded it to +15 as soon as I had the chance and I just wrecked every living (or dead) thing on the final part of the game. Love that weapon

CrocM

Oct 25, 2017
I only used a couple a weapons during my playthrough: Estoc and Iaito (DEX build). Not sure how it compares to other weapons, but the Iaito felt OP as fuck, upgraded it to +15 as soon as I had the chance and I just wrecked every living (or dead) thing on the final part of the game. Love that weapon
Wow no Balder Swag Sword?? CASUAL (j/k)

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty

Once I got the Great Club, I never looked back. One shotting 99% of enemies with the leap attack is beyond fun. Useless for PvP though, but whatever. Nothing like getting summoned for bosses, and then leap attacking with the club with Power Within and Sunlight Blade.

I always gravitate towards slow, heavy hitting STR weapons in these games . In DS2 I power stanced the Great Club and the Large Club. Ridiculous and dumb but I love it. Kirkhammer and LHB in Bloodborne.

I love how people have such varied taste and opinions on weapons. It speaks very well of the game that weapons at such opposite ends of the spectrum like the Iaito and the Great Club can both feel so OP with the proper build and upgrades.

I just started my first NG+ run of this game. Took me less than 10 minutes to go from the Assylum to the Sunlight Altar to get the 'Prayer of a Maiden' Trophy.

Only one more trophy to go, but what a pain in the ass this trophy is.

Last edited:

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
The Iaito really is great, especially considering you get it relatively early in the game. Good damage, fast swings and nice bleed build-up.

I would say the Uchigatana is ultimately better, though, for its thrusting R2 attack. You can get that one even earlier if you are willing to kill the male Undead Merchant, but I didn't feel it was worth it on my first playthrough.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
For some reason I thought it would a great idea to do The Catacombs after The Depths because I wanted to nab the Great Scythe before Blighttown.

Uhhhhh. Maybe not smart. I forgot about those floating skeleton head things. Any way to defend against those floating migraines?

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Got it. Curious though, is the attack magical or dark or raw or something else? Anyone know?
Regular magic I think. I remember the Crest Shield blocking most of it.

Edit: physical according to the wikidot page.

If you block, make sure you don't stand with your back to a ledge. Your shield might block most damage, but the force will still push you off.

Orochinagis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Uhhhhh. Maybe not smart. I forgot about those floating skeleton head things. Any way to defend against those floating migraines?

Bombs are pretty effective and nearly have an instant cast , if you are melee put a shield and evade but try to do it close to a "V" wall so they get stuck if you get stuck then its game over.

Not sure if the Lure enemy item can work on them

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
Ah I see, thanks everyone. What happened was I was fighting the initial skeletons on the downward ramp at the start of the Catacombs and didn't see the skeleton heads below, so when they exploded I was knocked into the pit and died. I'm afraid to go back but I gotta get my humanity!

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
Also, did I fuck up my build already? My plan was to purposely use a somewhat unique playstyle, so I was hoping to use the Great Scythe along with Lightning Spear miracles. However I don't know if this will cause me to become too much of a generalist during the end-game. I don't really care about PVP but I'd like to be able to hold my own against invaders.

Here's what I'm currently rocking:

ffC4zaD.jpg

DeD29c7.jpg

(That's a +5 bandit's knife as the secondary weapon. Not sure if I'll stay with that much longer unless there's a good reason to.)

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
You need to start pumping points into Dex to get the most out of the Great Scythe. It has 'A' scaling at +15.

Also more Faith if you plan on using the Lightning Spears to actually deal damage.

ThisOne

Oct 27, 2017
These Banshee things or whatever in Painted World are pissing me off. If they grab on, they take away all your health.

JJShadow

Oct 25, 2017
UK/Spain
Once I got the Great Club, I never looked back. One shotting 99% of enemies with the leap attack is beyond fun. Useless for PvP though, but whatever. Nothing like getting summoned for bosses, and then leap attacking with the club with Power Within and Sunlight Blade.

I always gravitate towards slow, heavy hitting STR weapons in these games . In DS2 I power stanced the Great Club and the Large Club. Ridiculous and dumb but I love it. Kirkhammer and LHB in Bloodborne.

I love how people have such varied taste and opinions on weapons. It speaks very well of the game that weapons at such opposite ends of the spectrum like the Iaito and the Great Club can both feel so OP with the proper build and upgrades.

I just started my first NG+ run of this game. Took me less than 10 minutes to go from the Assylum to the Sunlight Altar to get the 'Prayer of a Maiden' Trophy.

Only one more trophy to go, but what a pain in the ass this trophy is.

I'm now going through DS2 (first time as well) using a pure STR build, and man, I'm in love with the initial mace, it hits so fucking hard, one- or two-shotting everything. Any recommendation about other STR weapons I should take a look at?

And talking about DS2 in general, I'm really enjoying it (in No Man's Wharf atm), but it definitely feels off? different? weird? in comparison to DS1. My two main "complains" are definitely the weird character movement and the hud/menu interface lol it's so ugly in comparison to DS1, and why did they decide on using those tiny icons for items and gear :(

Orochinagis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm now going through DS2 (first time as well) using a pure STR build, and man, I'm in love with the initial mace, it hits so fucking hard, one- or two-shotting everything. Any recommendation about other STR weapons I should take a look at?

And talking about DS2 in general, I'm really enjoying it (in No Man's Wharf atm), but it definitely feels off? different? weird? in comparison to DS1. My two main "complains" are definitely the weird character movement and the hud/menu interface lol it's so ugly in comparison to DS1, and why did they decide on using those tiny icons for items and gear :(

The area transition is weird and happens all of sudden, Wharf is supposed to be a smuggler cave but is right at Majula and Drangelic , if you go to bastille you could miss that area completely but you can see the ship as if you cleared Wharf

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Also, did I fuck up my build already? My plan was to purposely use a somewhat unique playstyle, so I was hoping to use the Great Scythe along with Lightning Spear miracles. However I don't know if this will cause me to become too much of a generalist during the end-game. I don't really care about PVP but I'd like to be able to hold my own against invaders.

Here's what I'm currently rocking:

ffC4zaD.jpg

DeD29c7.jpg

(That's a +5 bandit's knife as the secondary weapon. Not sure if I'll stay with that much longer unless there's a good reason to.)
As someone who beat the game with a STR/FTH build, I would recommend against using the Lightning Spears for anything outside of co-op. At 30FTH, the damage is just too lame to compensate for the amazingly slow animations.

Oct 27, 2017

The Greatsword is aptly named. It has an S scaling in strength.

Power stance 2 for twice the fun.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
You need to start pumping points into Dex to get the most out of the Great Scythe. It has 'A' scaling at +15.

Also more Faith if you plan on using the Lightning Spears to actually deal damage.

I was going to covert the Great Scythe into either Lightning or Fire so that I wouldn't have to spend all my points in DEX. Not smart?

I don't want to build INT so I was hoping to use the lightning spears as my go-to ranged attack. Bows just don't do it for me.