• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

d00d3n

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I would have thought that was impossible.
Yeah, from what I have heard he is supposed to be tough. I rarely one shot bosses in these games tbh (Maria from Bloodborne is one of the few from the past).

He did some kind of darkness meditation move a couple of times, and one of his combos after one of those almost killed me. Other than that there were really no close calls.

CrocM

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, from what I have heard he is supposed to be tough. I rarely one shot bosses in these games tbh (Maria from Bloodborne is one of the few from the past).

He did some kind of darkness meditation move a couple of times, and one of his combos after one of those almost killed me. Other than that there were really no close calls.
Ohhh you mean first try. I was confused, thought you meant you killed him in one hit. Although after searching, that is apparently possible if you buff like crazy.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
Dear lord, does this dark souls 2 game ever end? I feel like it's overstayed bits welcome.

I was wondering if I could still get the prepare to die edition. I sorta just got into the franchise and I'm just missing ds1 and demon souls

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am playing Dark Souls for the first time. I had played Dark Souls 2 and 3 before but I stopped just short of completing 3 so that I could complete this one. I had made a thread a few weeks ago detailing my frustration with Dark Souls Remastered and now, more than ever, I am convinced that this is my least favorite entry in the series. I am up to Seath The Scaleless and so far all the areas have been drab and a chore to play.

The only pro I can immediately think of is the interconnectivity but even that I think is completely exaggerated by those who love this game because although the later installments do not connect back to Firelink as fluidly as this one, there is still interconnectivity within each separate location in each game that unlocks shortcuts and all that jazz. I don't see anything special about this game or frankly anything done better.

What's worse is that, as I understand it, I am at the part of the game where it opens up and becomes worse. I normally hear the first half of Dark Souls being lauded. If that's the case and if I disliked the first half as much as I have, I can't imagine how I'll feel before I complete the second half. Really disappointed that this game did not meet my expectations.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
I was thinking of getting this on switch but I finished Dark Souls 2 and although I didn't entirely like this I'm thinking of giving this a go.

It's 30% off on xbox one. I also got dark souls 3 on ps4 and bloodborne but I can't use my ps4 as often as I'd like

Oct 25, 2017
I've played this game 2-3 times on PS3 years ago and just bought the remaster yesterday. I still think it's the best game of all time but 60 FPS...woooow this is a huge difference.
Also, I can't believe I managed to reach the first blacksmith bonfire (cathedral) without dying once, lol.
Using the claymore for the first time and it's damn amazing!!!

T.Rex In F-14

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone here willing to drop some weapons for me so I can get the Knight's Honor trophy (and with that, the Plat)? I need 8 weapons, will trade them back, and can trade anything I have to help you. PM me if you can, thanks.

LastCupOfBullets

Alt account
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
I started this yesterday on the Switch.

What happens if you (accidentally) kill the people selling goods? How do you purchase goods and weapons later on?

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA

What happens if you (accidentally) kill the people selling goods? How do you purchase goods and weapons later on?

You lose them as merchants for the rest of the playthrough. Dark Souls 2 introduced (which DS3 removed again) the ability to summon the spirits of dead NPCs in trade of souls, but their stock won't update beyond the point where you killed them.

Basically, don't kill merchants unless you bought everything you'll ever need from them.

CrocM

Oct 25, 2017
There really isn't a merchant that can completely screw you. The blacksmith on the other hand...

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK

If you accidentally hit a merchant and they aggro to you, you can pay to 'absolve your sins' at Oswald, the NPC in the Gargoyle belltower. If you're not there yet, it's very early so just wait it out.

If you KILL an NPC, there's nothing you can do. If you do hit them and they aggro, just run away, don't finish them off. Just remember to be careful in future, we've all learned that lesson! :)

LastCupOfBullets

Alt account
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
If you accidentally hit a merchant and they aggro to you, you can pay to 'absolve your sins' at Oswald, the NPC in the Gargoyle belltower. If you're not there yet, it's very early so just wait it out.

If you KILL an NPC, there's nothing you can do. If you do hit them and they aggro, just run away, don't finish them off. Just remember to be careful in future, we've all learned that lesson! :)

I've already killed 3 NPC's, lol. All hope is lost for me, lol.

LastCupOfBullets

Alt account
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
You "accidentally" killed 3 NPCs? :lol

Just the first one near the fire at the beginning.

Then the second one near the elevator who gives you a coin. There was a note on the ground that said "kick him" so I did.

Not knowing I could run away, there were two NPC's sent to Oblivion, lol. I swear I didn't know you could run away...

It was me or him, lol...

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Just the first one near the fire at the beginning.

Then the second one near the elevator who gives you a coin. There was a note on the ground that said "kick him" so I did.

Not knowing I could run away, there were two NPC's sent to Oblivion, lol. I swear I didn't know you could run away...

It was me or him, lol...
Who was the third? The two you mentioned aren't really important, although the cleric (who gives you the coin) has an interesting sidequest and is an early miracle merchant (doesn't matter if you don't use miracles).

LastCupOfBullets

Alt account
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
Who was the third? The two you mentioned aren't really important, although the cleric (who gives you the coin) has an interesting sidequest and is an early miracle merchant (doesn't matter if you don't use miracles).

The merchant that is outside sitting. Around where the two or three skeletons that throw fire bombs from above. It is towards the beginning as well. There was a sign that said "fight for free stuff" so I swung my sword and the battle began... and ended... with me getting free stuff :)

...but he was gone from that point on. This was before I knew NPC's had perma-death.

So those are the three. I have been very, very careful around all other NPC's since then. I also do not listen to the signs anymore, haha.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I'm on ps4 currently. I've never been able to get into Souls games, and one of the biggest reasons is the framerate. It always felt so unresponsive to me for a game that requires precision, and the PC port of DS was pretty bad when I had a gaming PC.

Bloodborne the frame pacing issues were really off-putting for me.

Do you think this might be worth trying on ps4 for me? Has anyone else felt this way and found the DS remaster to click for them more?

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
I'm on ps4 currently. I've never been able to get into Souls games, and one of the biggest reasons is the framerate. It always felt so unresponsive to me for a game that requires precision, and the PC port of DS was pretty bad when I had a gaming PC.

Do you think this might be worth trying on ps4 for me? Has anyone else felt this way and found the DS remaster to click for them more?

You could certainly give it a shot. The remaster plays wonderfully. I can't speak for myself since I fell in love with the games even with single digit framerate in Blighttown on 360.

However it could also be the case that you simply aren't into the games and that's fine. No game is for everyone. I'd say give it a shot if you can find the remaster for cheap or if you can borrow it from a friend.

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
Speaking of double posts. In case anyone missed it, I've been thinking about which actors would best portray each of the Dark Souls characters in a hypothetical film.

Ideas here.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017

I started playing the original on PS3, and thought it was awful enough in terms of FPS and input lag that I decided to go buy the PC port instead. Without knowing, that was like a week before the remaster was released, and the original PC port had been taken offline so I couldn't buy it. So I just waited for the remaster to come out, got it on PC, and it was much, MUCH better. Played through it with 3 different characters in a row, 175 hours, loved it

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I started playing the original on PS3, and thought it was awful enough in terms of FPS and input lag that I decided to go buy the PC port instead. Without knowing, that was like a week before the remaster was released, and the original PC port had been taken offline so I couldn't buy it. So I just waited for the remaster to come out, got it on PC, and it was much, MUCH better. Played through it with 3 different characters in a row, 175 hours, loved it

Right... this is why I'm curious. I think I'll try to hunt down a cheap copy to give it a go. Thanks very much, and to everyone else who replied!

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I just wanted to come here to say:

After about 25 attempts, and very NEARLY rage-quitting the game for good....

...I beat Capra Demon. And it feels fucking glorious. It was like something came over me. Everything went exactly to plan. It wasn't even like I was playing, just watching my little, patient knight move carefully, hit when there was an opening, run and block when he was being hit.

Oh man. I get it. I get why people dig these games.

ASilentProtagonist

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I just wanted to come here to say:

After about 25 attempts, and very NEARLY rage-quitting the game for good....

...I beat Capra Demon. And it feels fucking glorious. It was like something came over me. Everything went exactly to plan. It wasn't even like I was playing, just watching my little, patient knight move carefully, hit when there was an opening, run and block when he was being hit.

Oh man. I get it. I get why people dig these games.

That's when the Souls crack begins. Have fun!

WolfeTone

Oct 25, 2017
Played this years ago but never got through Lost Izalith. Happy to say that I've recently beaten the game and dlc and had a great time, although it's a lot easier than I remember (thanks Bloodborne).

That being said, I'm doing a new game plus run and getting absolutely slaughtered by the Four Kings who, ironically, are some of the easiest bosses in the new game. On new game plus, I just can't kill them fast enough and I end up getting crowded by up to 4 of them at once all hitting me with swords and magic. I can dogde the attacks pretty easily one on one but when it's a group, it all falls apart.

I'm running a melee build using the Zweihander and have no atunment slots so no defence buffs. I'm level 115 and can pretty much steamroll everything else in the game. It's a longshot, but anyone got any tips or want to help?

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
Played this years ago but never got through Lost Izalith. Happy to say that I've recently beaten the game and dlc and had a great time, although it's a lot easier than I remember (thanks Bloodborne).

That being said, I'm doing a new game plus run and getting absolutely slaughtered by the Four Kings who, ironically, are some of the easiest bosses in the new game. On new game plus, I just can't kill them fast enough and I end up getting crowded by up to 4 of them at once all hitting me with swords and magic. I can dogde the attacks pretty easily one on one but when it's a group, it all falls apart.

I'm running a melee build using the Zweihander and have no atunment slots so no defence buffs. I'm level 115 and can pretty much steamroll everything else in the game. It's a longshot, but anyone got any tips or want to help?

Four Kings aren't one of the easier bosses. They are certainly much tougher than Asylum Demon, Tarus Demon, The Gargoyles, Moonlight Butterfly, Quelaag, and Iron Golem.

Anyway, just put on Havels and tank the hits and r1 spam. Or you could just farm until you have enough to put a level in attunement and get iron flesh and then put on havels and use that spell and just r1 spam.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty

You can wear Havel's like gogosox82 says and just facetank the hits and heal when necessary, though I think that if you are getting ganged up by 4 of them your damage might be too low.

Is your Zweihander +15? Are you two-handing it? What's your strength at?

If you haven't been using Power Within, I feel it can help immensely in this fight, specially when combined with gold pine resin or other weapon buffs. All you need is a Pyromancy Flame and an attunement slot.

Last edited:

WolfeTone

Oct 25, 2017
Four Kings aren't one of the easier bosses. They are certainly much tougher than Asylum Demon, Tarus Demon, The Gargoyles, Moonlight Butterfly, Quelaag, and Iron Golem.

Anyway, just put on Havels and tank the hits and r1 spam. Or you could just farm until you have enough to put a level in attunement and get iron flesh and then put on havels and use that spell and just r1 spam.

On the base game I found Taurus, Queelaag and Golem much tougher than Four Kings, but new game plus makes it nearly impossible!

You can wear Havel's like gogosox82 says and just facetank the hits and heal when necessary, though I think that if you are getting ganged up by 4 of them your damage might be too low.

Is your Zweihander +15? Are you two-handing it? What's your strength at?

If you haven't been using Power Within, I feel it can help immensely in this fight, specially when combined with gold pine resin or other weapon buffs.

Thanks for the tips folks. I have 40 strength and I'm one-handing the Zwei +15. I might switch to two-handing it since the shield does very little. Havel's set slows me down so much but I guess I may as well just take the hits!

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
On the base game I found Taurus, Queelaag and Golem much tougher than Four Kings, but new game plus makes it nearly impossible!

Thanks for the tips folks. I have 40 strength and I'm one-handing the Zwei +15. I might switch to two-handing it since the shield does very little. Havel's set slows me down so much but I guess I may as well just take the hits!

Well I guess I didn't consider when you fight these and I could see someone having a +15 and not having an issue with them.

Just remember four kings is a dps race. You just need to do enough dps to not have to fight 3 or 4 at the same time. Some people have found that not taking the time to dodge the attacks and just tanking through the hits and healing when necessary let's you do more dps.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Two hand the sword and buff it up; roll through their melee attacks and punish. They basically have 3 ways in which they can hurt you: The grab attack, which they telegraph by doing a 360 spin (roll away), the AoE blast (telegraphed by the king pausing to charge up) and their homing proyectile (which can be blocked with your shield, or dodged, though it's tricky). They won't really use this last move if you stick close to them.

WolfeTone

Oct 25, 2017
Well I guess I didn't consider when you fight these and I could see someone having a +15 and not having an issue with them.

Just remember four kings is a dps race. You just need to do enough dps to not have to fight 3 or 4 at the same time. Some people have found that not taking the time to dodge the attacks and just tanking through the hits and healing when necessary let's you do more dps.

Two hand the sword and buff it up; roll through their melee attacks and punish. They basically have 3 ways in which they can hurt you: The grab attack, which they telegraph by doing a 360 spin (roll away), the AoE blast (telegraphed by the king pausing to charge up) and their homing proyectile (which can be blocked with your shield, or dodged, though it's tricky). They won't really use this last move if you stick close to them.

I managed it! Two handing and tanking hits helped, but mostly stuck with rolling. I got the covenant achievement and moved on. I didn't realize I also needed a weapon from Kaathe too so I ended up having to beat them again on NG plus 2. I was so mad, but it didn't take as long thankfully.

Got my Dark Souls platinum. Some of the achievements were a bit too grindy for my liking, such as farming for silver knight weapons and the stone knight shield, but overall I enjoyed the experience. I did find things a little easy outside of the aforementioned Four Kings on NG+ as well as Manus. The only straight up bullshit parts for me were the Anor Londo archers, those spinning skeletons in the Catacombs and Painted World, and the Bed of Chaos, those were pretty cheap to me.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Congrats of the Platinum. For me the worst part is grinding the covenant items, but I feel DS1 has the least grindy platinum of the three, with 3 probably being the worst since there are so many covenants.