• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON
Well, well. I beat the game. What an experience. I kind of cheesed Gwyn by kiting him behind a pillar and stabbing at him when I saw a chance.

The high point of the game is absolutely Anor Londo, capped off by Ornstein and Smough as the game's best boss. The second best part was the DLC; its four bosses were excellent and very close to OandS in quality. I probably liked Manus the best, but all of them were pretty amazing. Crossbreed Priscilla and Sif were my other favorite bosses from the regular game.

The low point is the "go to any of these four places" feel of the second half, where none of the realms really have a lot going for them and the bosses aren't that great. The demon zone in particular was awful and felt like there wasn't a lot of thought there, let's just copy/paste some starter bosses without paying mind to how it looks. Like, why are all these Taurus Demons just chilling in a patient column, all doing the same breathing animation. Weird. Don't get me started on Bed of Chaos.

In the end, this has become one of my top games of all time. So mysterious and so many amazing moments. Constantly brilliant, frustrating, unique, and defiant. What a great game.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Gwyn exists to be cheesed so don't feel bad.

I think most people agree completely that the second part of Dark Souls is simply not as good as the first half, even though I think the Catacombs and Duke's Archives are excellent. The game is clearly not finished and it's painfully clear, specially Demon Ruins and specially Lost Izolith.

The first half of the game, up to O&S is so good and magnificent I'll go out on a limb and state that it's the best video game content ever created.

In the end, this has become one of my top games of all time. So mysterious and so many amazing moments. Constantly brilliant, frustrating, unique, and defiant. What a great game.

th

Not yet. I keep thinking about how I have to play it sometime, but there is nothing about the game that really draws me in, makes me hyped about playing it.

It's the worst of the trilogy, but it's still worth playing and definitely a good game. It has a ton of content, though, probably as much as DS1 and 3 put together, so you better set some time aside for it if you are going to play it.

In many ways it's a more interesting game than DS3. DS2 is actually kind of ambitious and sometimes it falls flat on its face. Its being such an ugly game certainly doesn't do it any favors. There are some PS2 tier textures and geometry in there that really rear their ugly head here and there.

DS3 is a better, more polished, better executed game, but it's also more derivative and "safe" (if that word could ever be used to describe these games) in that it falls into very familiar beats which can feel slightly worn out.

Last edited:

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Yeah I think most people are on a similar page about the back half of the game, but agree with Noema that Catacombs (debateble second half) and Dukes are both well designed areas - Dukes more for the ideas and visuals, I think they could've done more with the main halls besides just the stair puzzle. TotG is kind of a small area really and not very intereresting in terms of level design. New Londo is also great, and would class as second half as much as Catacombs.

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
IMO the only actually bad part of the back half of the game is Izalith. It's shit, no questions asked. The other areas are not as good as the first half's amazing progression and emotional journey but still pretty solid and memorable...though I will concede Nito and Seath are underwhelming as bosses. Four Kings though I think are pretty fun provided you have enough DPS.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Something that's pretty mind blowing about DS1 is that although most people would consider New Londo as late game, Four Kings can actually be the second boss you kill in the game.

Shit like this really tickles my fancy.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
It really is a shame how lackluster Demon Ruins and Lost Izalith were. As someone who has been intrigued by the lore surrounding the With of Izalith, her daughters/son and the art of pyromancy from the start, I wanted so much more from those areas and not just in terms of level design.

I actually thought about it when I played through them a few days ago, how Remastered kept them the way they were in the original game. Now I know the remaster was handled by completely separate studios, and FromSoft wasn't actually involved as far as I know, but I would have loved it if the team had taken this opportunity to go back to Demon Ruins and Lost Izalith, and redo those areas to better represent their original vision for those areas.

It's the worst of the trilogy, but it's still worth playing and definitely a good game. It has a ton of content, though, probably as much as DS1 and 3 put together, so you better set some time aside for it if you are going to play it.

In many ways it's a more interesting game than DS3. DS2 is actually kind of ambitious and sometimes it falls flat on its face.

DS3 is a better, more polished, better executed game, but it's also more derivative and "safe" (if that word could ever be used to describe these games) in that it falls into very familiar beats which can feel slightly worn out.
I will probably never do a full back-to-back Soulsborne playthrough since it would feel a bit 'too much'. This time I played through Bloodborne, Dark Souls 1 and now Dark Souls 3. BB and DS3 are pretty much mainstays, but I figured I could swap out DS1 with DS2 the next time I go on a Soulsborne binge.

I will probably never get tired of DS3, the gameplay is simply too good. But I do agree it feels caged by its own past at times. Too many call-backs, that stand in the way of pushing things forward. Nothing against Andre for example, but every time I see him in DS3 I can't help but feel the game should have had a different, new blacksmith. Siegward? A great character, but I would have given him a different suit of armor as his name and voice would have been enough to make him an obvious reference to Siegmeyer.

Kiraly

Oct 30, 2017
2019040500405900-1e18qljw2.jpg

I think I'm about to cry. Was at it for hours on end, decided to go fuck it and used up a lot of souls to quickly get a Quelaag's Furysword for the fire damage and used up all my humanity for the bonus. I had one fucking chance.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
2019040500405900-1e18qljw2.jpg

I think I'm about to cry. Was at it for hours on end, decided to go fuck it and used up a lot of souls to quickly get a Quelaag's Furysword for the fire damage and used up all my humanity for the bonus. I had one fucking chance.
Ah, shit, that sucks. But you haven't lost that humanity yet. If you recover your souls, you will recover the humanity as well and you don't have to be in human form for it to increase your damage. So you could go back, sprint towards your bloodstain (it looks to be near the fog wall?) and get back into the fight immediately.

Alternatively, if you want to be in human form to summon Solaire or someone else, you can use a Homeward Bone in the boss arena to return to the last bonfire. This effectively resets the boss fight. It will be tricky, given how especially aggressive they both are and how fast Ornstein is, but it could work if you pick the right moment.

Whatever you do, don't give up! You can beat these guys, with or without humanity.

Glass Arrows

Jan 10, 2019
I will probably never get tired of DS3, the gameplay is simply too good. But I do agree it feels caged by its own past at times. Too many call-backs, that stand in the way of pushing things forward. Nothing against Andre for example, but every time I see him in DS3 I can't help but feel the game should have had a different, new blacksmith. Siegward? A great character, but I would have given him a different suit of armor as his name and voice would have been enough to make him an obvious reference to Siegmeyer.

IMO the main problem with DS3 in the "too many callbacks" department is not even that the game has a lot of them, butoften they way they do those callbacks compares unfavorably with the original game in question.

I.e did we really need to make it mandatory to speak to the fire keeper to level up again? I'd argue it was a problem in Dark Souls 2, and it's a problem for DS3 as well because it really breaks the pace. It just ignores the completely different design of Demon's Souls and why it worked better in that game thanks to its different world design. It's just much more convenient and better for the pace to be able to level at any bonfire.

The Storm Ruler? Much more fun and satisfying in DeS as well. It created a really cool setpiece moment and tbh it was mostly just game design borne out of consideration for melee builds. That doesn't really work as well with Yhorm because the fight with him is much more cramped and less "cinematic", so it doesn't have the same impact.

Irythill Dungeon? Cool area, but I thought Latria was a lot more memorable and atmospheric with the ringing bell of the chtullu guards, the prisoner screams, the noblewoman singing in a cell...

That's not to say that Dark Souls 3 isn't still a great game. I played it for almost 30 hours (I got to Sulyvahn but not could beat him before my brother left with his computer that I was using to playing the game, mostly because my controller broke) and had a pretty good time overall, I think on gamefeel and level design alone it is much better than DS2 on average.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
IMO the main problem with DS3 in the "too many callbacks" department is not even that the game has a lot of them, butoften they way they do those callbacks compares unfavorably with the original game in question.

I.e did we really need to make it mandatory to speak to the fire keeper to level up again? I'd argue it was a problem in Dark Souls 2, and it's a problem for DS3 as well because it really breaks the pace. It just ignores the completely different design of Demon's Souls and why it worked better in that game thanks to its different world design. It's just much more convenient and better for the pace to be able to level at any bonfire.

The Storm Ruler? Much more fun and satisfying in DeS as well. It created a really cool setpiece moment and tbh it was mostly just game design borne out of consideration for melee builds. That doesn't really work as well with Yhorm because the fight with him is much more cramped and less "cinematic", so it doesn't have the same impact.

Irythill Dungeon? Cool area, but I thought Latria was a lot more memorable and atmospheric with the ringing bell of the chtullu guards, the prisoner screams, the noblewoman singing in a cell...

That's not to say that Dark Souls 3 isn't still a great game. I played it for almost 30 hours (I got to Sulyvahn but not could beat him before my brother left with his computer that I was using to playing the game, mostly because my controller broke) and had a pretty good time overall, I think on gamefeel and level design alone it is much better than DS2 on average.
While you could argue it is largely pointless to be forced to speak to the Fire Keeper to level up, I don't feel it breaks the pace of the game. The game is designed around a hub where all the merchants, trainers and other services are gathered, a place you would often need to visit it anyway. In fact, given how every other game in the Soulsborne series had you speak to a specific character to level up, one could argue DS1 really is the odd one out here.

I wonder if Miyazaki has ever explained why they decided to make Firelink a hub in DS3, and why they included a 'level up character' in the form of the Fire Keeper.

I haven't played Demon Souls, so I can't really comment on those elements. I had no idea Storm Ruler and Irythill Dungeon had been done before, for example.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Priscilla was going to be the level up lady in DS1, so even in that game they planned it. It's a peeve to have loading screens to level up (or use gourd seeds), but it's no biggie.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
DS1 is the only game where you couldn't warp from the start so it kinda makes sense to offer the ability to level up at bonfires, rather than having you backtracking for fifteen minutes every time you want to level up. :p

Personally speaking, I don't mind it either way. I think having leveling up in the hub makes it more personal if there's dialogue attached to it and I think it's always nice to have an incentive to return to the hub, especially if there are other NPCs I can interact with.

So the world might be mended.

Kiraly

Oct 30, 2017
Whelp, I beat the game.

Can definitely concur that the first half of the game is twice as good as the second. Fuck Bed of Chaos. Saw pretty much everything I wanted to see, except for the DLC. Fought Artorias a couple of times and just left it, really wanted to see the ending by then. I'll probably just YouTube the areas and bosses from the DLC, or perhaps leave it for a NG+ years from now.

Ending was a massive disappointment, holy fuck. Thought we'd at the least get treated to a nice cinematic akin to the introduction. Real shame. The boss fight itself was cool though.

Solid 8/10. Loved the world design, lore, and atmosphere of the game. Disliked the frustrating game design at times, e.g. the crude hitboxes. Will lay it off for a bit now and perhaps start Dark Souls III (heard II is not that good?) later if I regain my mood for these games.

stn

Oct 28, 2017
Can someone kindly send me a link to the Souls discord? I can't see it even when I quote the first post as instructed.

I'm playing DS1 remastered for the first time after having recently spent 145 hours on Nioh (and still counting). It is awesome, have the whole trilogy waiting to be played. I also still have Demon's Souls.

EDIT: NVM, found the link.

Last edited:

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Can someone kindly send me a link to the Souls discord? I can't see it even when I quote the first post as instructed.

I'm playing DS1 remastered for the first time after having recently spent 145 hours on Nioh (and still counting). It is awesome, have the whole trilogy waiting to be played. I also still have Demon's Souls.

Oh man, you're in for a ride.

Ruffstuff

Oct 27, 2017
Basingstoke
Due to the Nintendo eShop sale I have found myself buying Dark Souls for the first time. I think I've made a huge mistake, if any "Reseters" would like to help guy who's bitten off more that he can chew please send me anything

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Due to the Nintendo eShop sale I have found myself buying Dark Souls for the first time. I think I've made a huge mistake, if any "Reseters" would like to help guy who's bitten off more that he can chew please send me anything
I don't think anything you could receive at an early level will help. You'd not be able to use the gear. Start as a Pyro and you're good to go

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017

The main piece of advice I can give is don't be afraid of dying and losing Souls. Eventually, carrying souls into the tens of thousands will be like spare change, so don't panic if you lose 500 or something.

Also kill the dogs first.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Knight is a good starting class for a beginner too because you get decent armour, a great weapon and a 100% physical block shield. I would try taking off some of the armour though so your equip load is <25% and you have fast roll/run. The extra mobility IS the best defense. :)

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Im upgrading a wanderer coat, wonder is if its worth changing it for a heavier armor? I tried a medium one, but the roll was affected inmediatly and i don't like it, so i use the coat and knight leggins and gloves. I started summoning help for boss battles though, they take too much damage.recently i got the lautrec ring so maybe its worth changing again 🤔

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States
Im upgrading a wanderer coat, wonder is if its worth changing it for a heavier armor? I tried a medium one, but the roll was affected inmediatly and i don't like it, so i use the coat and knight leggins and gloves. I started summoning help for boss battles though, they take too much damage.recently i got the lautrec ring so maybe its worth changing again 🤔

You should never waste resources upgrading armor or shields unless you have nothing else to spend them on. Pick a weapon you like and focus on upgrading it instead. Armor stats are largely meaningless save for resistances and a few situational uses.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
You should never waste resources upgrading armor or shields unless you have nothing else to spend them on. Pick a weapon you like and focus on upgrading it instead. Armor stats are largely meaningless save for resistances and a few situational uses.
Oh, but it looked like it upgraded all stats instead of just a fe, like on the shields? Like, i got it to have better defense than heavier armor just wondering if it was worth the change

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States
Oh, but it looked like it upgraded all stats instead of just a fe, like on the shields? Like, i got it to have better defense than heavier armor just wondering if it was worth the change

Not worth it and here's why: bosses hit for so much damage, an extra few points in defense are nearly useless. This is where the term (meme?) "fashion Souls" came from.

Treat your armor as something expendable to be swapped out if you find something better or to be equipped only in certain situations.
You'll definitely find better stuff than a Wanderer Coat early on.

Remember, the game is fairly easy to beat with nothing more than an upgraded long sword and a 100% physical block shield.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I usually run through DS1 wearing little or light armor at most, so I am not sure, but the main value of heavy armor over light armor lies in its poise and not in its defensive values. Poise is what determines whether an enemy attack interrupts your own actions. With an armor set like Havel's, you can simply tank through enemy attacks as long as you keep your health up. If you are wearing such heavy armor, all your actual defense comes from your shield (since rolling isn't really an option). The higher its stability, the less stamina blocking enemy attacks consumes. So there is some worth in upgrading shields. Plus you can upgrade shields to Lightning or Fire to make them more resistant to said element.

Most of your titanite and souls should go into your weapons, though. Weapons are crucial, shields are important, while armor just offers utility.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Not worth it and here's why: bosses hit for so much damage, an extra few points in defense are nearly useless. This is where the term (meme?) "fashion Souls" came from.

Treat your armor as something expendable to be swapped out if you find something better or to be equipped only in certain situations.
You'll definitely find better stuff than a Wanderer Coat early on.

Remember, the game is fairly easy to beat with nothing more than an upgraded long sword and a 100% physical block shield.
well, thank you , keep in mind and will upgrade other stuff instead.

Ruffstuff

Oct 27, 2017
Basingstoke
Firstly, I would like to thank everyone who has offered there support and advice. so here is an update, damn why has it taken me so long to get into this game... i tried playing on my PS3 years ago but couldn't get invested but playing on the switch is awesome, level 26 rocking the uchigatana +5 and loving life. Thank you all for your help and guidance.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Firstly, I would like to thank everyone who has offered there support and advice. so here is an update, damn why has it taken me so long to get into this game... i tried playing on my PS3 years ago but couldn't get invested but playing on the switch is awesome, level 26 rocking the uchigatana +5 and loving life. Thank you all for your help and guidance.

Glad to hear you're getting into it. Other than DS2, the Uchi was my main weapon for all the other Souls games.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
So I bought it with the recent Switch sales.

First of all: I find the game absolutely gorgeous (artistically speaking), the mood is nothing short of incredible, the lore is fascinating, and it's challenging but not that hard either. Those are really the strong points of the game for me.
Concerning the gameplay itself, I get what the game is trying to do, but it's too rough to fully work in my opinion. The hitboxes are absolutely laughable and kind of break the gameplay. I got used to the camera but it's still felt like shit nevertheless, and particularly frustrating in tight places like blightown (whichmust indeed have been horrible at 15fps). Also, while the general idea of making your own choices and living with them is commendable, it also led me to restarting the game after accidentally attacking Solaire while trying some weapons in Anor Lando, and subsequently also attacking the religious fanatic by mistake (yes that really happened; I was changing my controller setup...). Finally, some deaths and traps felt cheap, like Rick Dangerous cheap, but that's ok because I still like Rick Dangerous.
I'm almost back in Anor Londo now (so where I was before restarting my save). I heard that the game gets worse after that, unfortunately.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, it definitely drops off in quality post Anor Londo, even if there are some bits there the are better than in the first half.

Hitboxes stay wonky throughout the series though, sadly. It's more frustrating how inconsistent they are: for some things, they're incredibly precise, but then other times you'll get hit through walls, and in places where an attack clearly didn't make contact with you.

Rick Dangerous 2 though, now that's a good game.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I always liked hitting (and being hit) through walls, I was sad to see it gone from Sekiro. It's very much a 'game' thing, entirely unrealistic obviously - it's janky, but fair.

Oct 25, 2017
I have never in my life played a souls game...I don't know why I'm starting now. I have BB for PS4 from PS Plus...but wanted to start with something more original just in case I enjoy it.

Any tips?

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
I have never in my life played a souls game...I don't know why I'm starting now. I have BB for PS4 from PS Plus...but wanted to start with something more original just in case I enjoy it.

Any tips?

• Resistance Stat is useless.
  • Armor is not as important as you'd think.
  • It's better to find a weapon you like and upgrade it than change weapons through out the game.
  • It's better not to pick the master key on your first playthrough.
  • If an area seems too to tough or daunting it's better to go explore somewhere else.

And most important of all,

Kill the dogs first.

Tzarscream

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Guys,

So I am out on a limb job searching in a foreign country and so have a lot of downtime and only have my switch.

Been thinking of getting DS for the switch, but does it control well on there and how is it in handheld mode?

Umbrella Carp

Banned
Jan 16, 2019
Just beat Bed of Chaos for the first time solo. FromSoft were taking the piss with that shit. Easily the most unfun, obnoxious boss in the game.

Nord501

Oct 29, 2017
Massachusetts
So, I need help moving some items from one character to my new one but I don't know anyone that has the game on PS4. Is there anyone willing to help me? I wanna move Moonlight Greatsword, Ornstein's soul and Havel's Ring. Dai Stoneman needs his guiding Moonlight.

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I am having trouble Invading.

I've got the Red Eye Orb but it's always greyed our so I can't use it. I can hear the bells rings in the Parish and I can be summoned for co-op easily, but I've not once been able to even activate the Red Eye Orb.

I am first playthrough on this build (sl20, wl5) but pretty sure you can invade areas that you've killed the boss in your own game. Right?

I am on Switch version, if that helps. Dark Wraiths +2.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just beat Bed of Chaos for the first time solo. FromSoft were taking the piss with that shit. Easily the most unfun, obnoxious boss in the game.
It becomes actually fun if you summon 2 phantoms. I wish the game had somehow telegraphed that.

You go in 3 people, the phantoms go off to the sides, take out the arms, you wait in the start point (where you drop), and go for the kill once the phantoms are done.

I co-opped it for hours when I played through Remastered. It was amazing.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
I am having trouble Invading.

I've got the Red Eye Orb but it's always greyed our so I can't use it. I can hear the bells rings in the Parish and I can be summoned for co-op easily, but I've not once been able to even activate the Red Eye Orb.

I am first playthrough on this build (sl20, wl5) but pretty sure you can invade areas that you've killed the boss in your own game. Right?

I am on Switch version, if that helps. Dark Wraiths +2.

I might be misremembering, but don't you have to be human to invade in DS1?

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Kenny, are you still in the Darkwraith covenant? You can only use the red eye orb whilst in the covenant. And yes you can invade in areas you've killed the boss, and you have to be human too.

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks, guys.

Just a few minutes ago I thought to myself "Hold on, don't you have to be Human!?".

Invading then worked straight away :D What a dumbass, I totally forgot that part.

Thanks to the both of you for helping though!