• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I am going to attempt a sl1 run soon. I always wanted to do it back on PS3 but never got around to it. Should be interesting!

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
The moment you invade someone and see they've got two co-op partners with them. Gulp! :D

Invading at the Parish is great fun. I've got a sl20 wl5 character so nicely within range. Tempted to do a Invade build for Anor Lando. I guess that would be around sl50, wl10?

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I am going to attempt a sl1 run soon. I always wanted to do it back on PS3 but never got around to it. Should be interesting!
SL1 Run is great fun and DS1 might be the easiest of the series for SL1 because of the open-ish world, you can get OP very early.
I did an SL1 run pre-DLC back on the PS3 and finally did it fully including DLC on PS4 Remastered last year. I posted my Kalameet kill in this thread I think, took a while because I used RTSR but with good RNG I finally got it. Felt great to finally get Kalameet, really managed to learn the fight with one of the bosses I always just Estus chugged through previously.

Castor Archer

Jan 8, 2019
Is there still missing ambient audio in the PS4 version? I'm thinking of buying it on sale but the lack of ambient audio has been a deal breaker for me.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
So i started the other day to play the remaster on XB1X, since it is the only Dark Souls i havent finished actually. I have beaten DS2 Scholar edition, Dark Souls 3 + DLC, Bloodborne and Sekiro (even tough its not really a souls game).

Anyway i am semi stuck and have No clear idea of where to go. I took an advice of a guide and went back to undead asylum but the stray demon boss there barely take any dmg. I Also attempted blighttown but same there mobs barely take damage.

I have beaten, gaping dragon, moonlight butterfly, Capra demon, taurus demon, Bell gargylos etc. All were easy and only died if i were too "cocky".

But now i am stuck as the mobs and bosses are too hard now lol, went from feeling overleveled -> underleveled in an instant.

stat84

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So i started the other day to play the remaster on XB1X, since it is the only Dark Souls i havent finished actually. I have beaten DS2 Scholar edition, Dark Souls 3 + DLC, Bloodborne and Sekiro (even tough its not really a souls game).

Anyway i am semi stuck and have No clear idea of where to go. I took an advice of a guide and went back to undead asylum but the stray demon boss there barely take any dmg. I Also attempted blighttown but same there mobs barely take damage.

I have beaten, gaping dragon, moonlight butterfly, Capra demon, taurus demon, Bell gargylos etc. All were easy and only died if i were too "cocky".

But now i am stuck as the mobs and bosses are too hard now lol, went from feeling overleveled -> underleveled in an instant.
Blighttown is the correct way but what is your weapon?Did you upgrade it?

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
I have a halebard +5 and my str is over 20 and dex around 15–16. I pretty much one or two shot most mobs in undead parish and depths. But i have to flail away at those fat mobs in blighttown for ages.
Those guys do have a ton of health though. Even with a +15 Claymore and at SL80 the ones guarding the shortcut between Blighttown and Firelink managed to survive a backstab, whereas I was able to one-shot most other enemies with just basic attacks at that point. I remember needing at least 3 backstabs with a +5 Bandit Knife against them when I encountered them after finishing the Depths.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I have a halebard +5 and my str is over 20 and dex around 15–16. I pretty much one or two shot most mobs in undead parish and depths. But i have to flail away at those fat mobs in blighttown for ages.
The big ogre mobs in Blighttown are easy to parry, if you've fought Havel by now, it's the same idea, or backstab them.

You should've picked up the Large Ember in the Depths, this lets you upgrade your weapon up to +10 - Only Andre can upgrade at the breakpoints (+5, then +10) - the item description is helpful in that it says exactly this without flouncy lore language, so I would upgrade your weapon to at least +6 before going further in to Blighttown so that if you get any more large shards (and you can down there), you aren't stuck with a +5 weapon, you can upgrade it to +10 yourself at a bonfire if you bought the weaponsmith box (after Andre has ascended it to +6).

There is a large shard found as loot in the Depths - a freebie to get you to +6, and a shield that is also helpful for Blighttown - fully explore the Depths if you haven't already.

Taking on Stray Demon back at the Asylum with a +5 weapon would be time consuming unless you had a bleed weapon - better to come back later, the reward is worth it. :)

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
Thanks for the tips, pretty much have forgetten about parries. Is it viable to parry if you use a halberd or do i need to upgrade some other weapon? Also i should probably use like the target shield or such for best parries?

Havent done Havel, only tried but but since i barely took and damage and basically one shot me i noped out. But i might try the parry tactic on him.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Target shield adds a few more frames, but DS1 is the easiest of the series to parry in, a regular shield will do just fine and will likely have better physical damage reduction than the parry shield. Halberd (or any weapon) is fine as long as you one-hand it so you can parry with a shield (or bare hand) - you can switch back to two-handed for the riposte, weeapons that scale with STR get a damage boost when two-handed.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Heater Shield is probably the best parry shield because it falls into the category with the fastest recovery frames while also offering 100% physical damage reduction. Special parry shields like the Buckler and Target Shield have more parry frames (8 instead of the regular 6) but also have the longest recovery animation. I am not a big fan of them, though your mileage may vary of course.

Any weapon is viable for parrying as long as you wield it one-handed. There are several weapons with high critical modifiers, such as the Rapier, but their regular damage is usually lower because of it. Since most bosses can't be parried or backstabbed, I often keep one (usually the Bandit Knife since my starting class is always Thief) in my second weapon slot as a backup option against enemies like those giants, which are easily backstabbed/parried.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
Just defeated gravelord Nito, such a pushover boss. But then most bosses in this game has been pushovers, maybe comes from being a "soulsbornekiro veteran"? I wouldve downed ornstein + smough in first try if werent greedy. Sure i had Solaire with me as im trying to do his quest, but still. Supposed to be one of the hardest bosses in game? It is more like i have had troubles with certain sections of the game that has been really irritating such as Tomb of the Giants with its total darkness and irritating as fuck mobs. Also Anor Londo was a hassle since the run back was annoying as hell if you got shot down by those archers.

ClearMetal

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
The whole challenge of O&S lies in fighting two strong and highly aggressive bosses at the same time. Of course they will be a lot easier when you summon a highly capable NPC to distract one of them.

It is true though that most of the bosses in DS1 really aren't that special when you are used to the shit Bloodborne, DS3 and, I imagine, Sekiro throws at you.

Subomie

Feb 16, 2019
DS1 bosses, minus the excellent DLC foursome, are certainly not up to par with most of the games that followed but there are real gems in there. O&S, Quelaag, Gargoyles, Four Kings, Sif...

I actually like the majority of them, but I suppose it's painted by whether or not you did the later games before the original.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
The other games built on what came first, DS1 was challenging at the time - but come back to it from later games, it's naturally easier - they tried to challenge those same players in the later games.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
So ive gotten all lord souls i think. They were all chumps, seath the easiest of them all. Bed of Chaos i had the most trouble with since i died a bunch of times trying to jump onto the thing that connects to his core. God damn was it annoying lol. Got either swiped off to death or didnt jump "correctly" a bunch of times there ...

Guess i should tackle the DLC now since you get into NG+ directly after Gwyn? Already have downed the sanctuary guardian before Lost Izalith so can already warp back to oolacile.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
Yeah, you're sent to NG+ directly after the last boss so I would definitely recommend doing the DLC now.

Yeah just beat the chump Artorias after a few tries, it is like the first boss in the game where i had to study his attack pattern to not get owned. Man did he hurt if he got buffed too. Basically stayed in his face as much as i could like a sekiro boss, but man did he get annoying when he had like 150 hp left. Just jumped and dodged all over everytime i tried to hit him, had to hit him as he was swinging his sword and trade to get last hp down.

DS 1 love to have long ass boss runs tho, that is something they improved hugely on in DS 3 and Sekiro. Running back from the bonfires in this game has probably taken me the most /played. Feels like i have spent like 10x more time running back to bosses than actually fighting one.

Sanctuary Guardian is one of few bosses that didnt have a long ass run and Firesage demon but they were like "one shots".

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
Also is no one playing coop anymore? I play on X1 and i see people playing everywhere as phantoms but i have pretty much never seen any summon signs when human. I have only ever summoned Solaire and Witch Beatrice here and there and a coop summon like 2 times. My network settings are: Global, No Password, Start Online, Unrestricted, Off on ranking registration.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
Also is no one playing coop anymore? I play on X1 and i see people playing everywhere as phantoms but i have pretty much never seen any summon signs when human. I have only ever summoned Solaire and Witch Beatrice here and there and a coop summon like 2 times. My network settings are: Global, No Password, Start Online, Unrestricted, Off on ranking registration.
Can't comment on X1 activity specifically but the signs you'll see is based on your level and how much your weapon is upgraded. What's your level/weapon upgrade at?

You should be able to see some activity at least, no matter what, but it is possible that you're out of the ordinary range. You can check out how it works here!

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
Can't comment on X1 activity specifically but the signs you'll see is based on your level and how much your weapon is upgraded. What's your level/weapon upgrade at?

You should be able to see some activity at least, no matter what, but it is possible that you're out of the ordinary range. You can check out how it works here!

My level is 92 and weapon +15.

Just did manus, wasnt too bad. Guess its just Gwyn and Kalameet left. Might skip kalameet as the fight just seems to be long and boring and i cant get much damage in without taking too much dmg / die in few hits. Absolutely Zero summons at kalameet too.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Don't know how it is now, but summons for Kalameet used to be the same as for Artorias, in that area outside his arena probably because of the long run to Kalameet's fog gate - no reason to be down there for people putting their sign down.

For Kalameet try to stay mid-distance in front of him and learn the tells for his moves - especially the flying swoop (best move to get the tail cut), the forward fire breath (run in and attack head/neck) and the standing on his back paws fire breath (run under him and attack) - these are the best moves to get damage in. If you spend too much time under him he will just foot stomp, fly up and fire breath (GTFO) or the rush forward and quick turn fire breath - the rush forward can one shot you if you haven't pumped vitality.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
Don't know how it is now, but summons for Kalameet used to be the same as for Artorias, in that area outside his arena probably because of the long run to Kalameet's fog gate - no reason to be down there for people putting their sign down.

For Kalameet try to stay mid-distance in front of him and learn the tells for his moves - especially the flying swoop (best move to get the tail cut), the forward fire breath (run in and attack head/neck) and the standing on his back paws fire breath (run under him and attack) - these are the best moves to get damage in. If you spend too much time under him he will just foot stomp, fly up and fire breath (GTFO) or the rush forward and quick turn fire breath - the rush forward can one shot you if you haven't pumped vitality.

Beat the game last evening. Kalameet wasnt too bad then i put on high mobility gear and a high stability shield.

Gwyn was just a chump. Almost had him with just parries solo once. But i brought Solaire with me for one last fight and Gwyn was dead in like 20 seconds lmao.

Boss encounter wise this game is by far the "easiest" but it has some of the hardest areas if you get What i mean, in the whole souls series. Places like Tomb of The Giants, Sens Fortress, Lost Izalith, Anor Londo archers.. are at times a huge pain in the butt.

Also run backs to bosses can be a pain sometimes.

ArtVandelay

User requested permanent ban
Banned
May 29, 2018
I'm playing Dark Souls Remastered on PS4 for the first time in quite a while and I've encountered an annoying problem.

My character keeps reverting to a slow walk even though I'm holding the sprint button and pushing the analogue stick forward like a madman.
I've tried two different controllers, doesn't change anything. The weird thing is, it's not even the regular walk. It's the "I'm stuck in a poisonous swamp" walk. And I very clearly still have enough stamina.

A few months ago, my PS4 also started displaying the "No headset/microphone found" message constantly even though I'm not trying to use any devices. I had to turn off notifications altogether. Maybe my Playstation is busted? (After 9 months!)

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Looks like a joypad problem? I think I had a similar thing happen on PS3 where the character would randomly stop running and walk - it was the pad that was dying/worn.

CopperPuppy

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking about picking up the remaster on PS4.

How is it? Any glaring problems I should know about?

Is it the definitive version of this game?

Becks'

Dec 7, 2017
Canada
I have finally beaten the game for the first time. Got stuck on Sen's Fortress last year. Now I took Zweihander (maxed it to +15, didn't want to go GiantDad because I played PvE exclusively) + Havel's Armor and just steamrolled through bosses. Kalameet was pain in the ass though. Gwyn was easy as hell, took me 5 swings to beat him (I did have Solaire as a distraction).

Second half bosses like Seath and locations like Ash Lake are much better and interesting, overall the game was fantastic.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
So on a whim, I decided to go ahead and buy Remastered, despite having had PTD on PC since its release. Didn't want to mess with certain things right now.

Anyway, did they change anything at all regarding item placement, or balance? Seemed like the same game to me, yet now I don't know what's going on. I recently gave Rickert what I thought was the Enchanted Ember from
Darkroot Garden
, yet all he offers is the Magic upgrade path? The original placement of these two embers never made sense to me anyway, so were they swapped in Remastered? Is it just a UI error? Because the scaling that shows up for the weapon I am trying to modify is the scaling listed for Enchanted, not Magic, yet I am only able to select the Magic icon, and the UI says that I would be turning it into the Magic version.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Do you have a +5 magic weapon already?

No, but it's been so long that I've bothered actually modifying a weapon to either of those that I forgot if that was a requirement or not. I thought you had to give him the Magic ember anyway in the first place to be able to change weapons to that, unless it just works the same as going from +5 to +10 like with the normal upgrade path in that the Magic ember just lets me take it from +5 to +10.

edit:
Magic upgrade from +5 to Enchanted +0 requires 1 Blue Titanite Chunk.

Duh...

Custódio

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil, Unaí/MG
No, but it's been so long that I've bothered actually modifying a weapon to either of those that I forgot if that was a requirement or not. I thought you had to give him the Magic ember anyway in the first place to be able to change weapons to that, unless it just works the same as going from +5 to +10 like with the normal upgrade path in that the Magic ember just lets me take it from +5 to +10.

You don't need an ember for starting in the magic upgrade path. The Ember is just for going from Magic +5 to Magic +6.

You go like: Normal +5 -> Magic +0... Magic +5 -> Large Magic Ember -> Magic + 6... Magic +10.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
In case it comes in handy. This is from the wiki site.

dark_souls_upgrade_chart2.jpg

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I'm on Xbox, but I have all the weapons if anyone is looking for achievements. I can meet you somewhere and top them for you.

Fairly sure I stopped as early as possible in the third playtrough so you may need to meet me in a fairly early bit of the game.

Dec 2, 2017
I just got this yesterday. This is my first serious run through a From game.

I must be terrible because I'm looking at a guide that says I should have beaten the Taurus Demon at levels 5-10, done with Undead Parish by 20. I was level 23 when I beat Taurus. Currently 28 and still grinding Undead Berg for enough strength to use the Drake Sword. My thief's noodle arms weren't built for this thing.

Loggjaw

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if your on Xbox but if so I would love to play with you, I am not good either tag is Loggjaw hit me up if ya want

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

I must be terrible because I'm looking at a guide that says I should have beaten the Taurus Demon at levels 5-10, done with Undead Parish by 20. I was level 23 when I beat Taurus. Currently 28 and still grinding Undead Berg for enough strength to use the Drake Sword. My thief's noodle arms weren't built for this thing.
Hey! You may (or may not) get loads of advice on here....depends if you want it :)

My main tip is to enjoy the game. If you like grinding and getting strong then stick with it. If you want some tips to help work around that then shout.

Just bear in mind that there are people (not me!) Who can beat the game with a level 1 character so strength and armour aren't everything.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK

Don't worry about what guides say for levels, everyone is different - especially on a first playthrough.

I'd give the Drake Sword a second thought though - it can make you breeze through the first quarter of the game but then immediately hit a brick wall if you haven't got any other regular weapon adequately upgraded and are used to just one-shotting regular enemies. It's a bit of a crutch basically. Use it by all means, but keep that in mind - it will give you trouble sooner or later. 99.9% of weapons are viable in Souls though, there's really no must-have weapon - just the ones you like the moveset of and enjoy using.

Dec 2, 2017
Not sure if your on Xbox but if so I would love to play with you, I am not good either tag is Loggjaw hit me up if ya want

Sorry, I'm on PS4. Thanks for the offer though.

Hey! You may (or may not) get loads of advice on here....depends if you want it :)

My main tip is to enjoy the game. If you like grinding and getting strong then stick with it. If you want some tips to help work around that then shout.

Just bear in mind that there are people (not me!) Who can beat the game with a level 1 character so strength and armour aren't everything.

I'm definitely open to advice, with how opaque this game is. I actually do enjoy the grinding so far tbh, but we'll see if that gets old after a while.

Don't worry about what guides say for levels, everyone is different - especially on a first playthrough.

I'd give the Drake Sword a second thought though - it can make you breeze through the first quarter of the game but then immediately hit a brick wall if you haven't got any other regular weapon adequately upgraded and are used to just one-shotting regular enemies. It's a bit of a crutch basically. Use it by all means, but keep that in mind - it will give you trouble sooner or later. 99.9% of weapons are viable in Souls though, there's really no must-have weapon - just the ones you like the moveset of and enjoy using.

My favourite so far is actually the Bandit Knife. It seems to be able to stun lock everything except bosses before they can get a swing in. And it's good in tight quarters, of which there seem to be a lot. I just haven't reached the blacksmith yet to upgrade it, so I've been relying on the scimitar. But that cartwheel move keeps messing me up.

Is there a percentage chart that shows how load or armour type affects your movement?

And it seems that enemies are sensitive to sound, at least since I got the chain mail. Is it possible to completely stealth them & backstab with the right loadout?

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Is there a percentage chart that shows how load or armour type affects your movement?

And it seems that enemies are sensitive to sound, at least since I got the chain mail. Is it possible to completely stealth them & backstab with the right loadout?
Absolutely. Wearing lighter material armour reduces their ability to hear you. If you walk at the slowest pace it's possible to backstab an unaware enemy even in metal armour. It has a bit of distance to it too, you don't have to be touching them to pull off a backstab, maybe just inside a character width and it connects.

The equip load cut-offs are easy to remember:
<25% = fastest roll/run
<50% = mid-roll
+50% = fat roll (iabove 100% you can't roll)

I really like the Bandit Knife too, the bleed effect can be good for some big (fleshy) bosses that are susceptible to it.

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto, ON

Best advice, forget the drake sword. Here are a couple of tips that might help you become stronger early on:

In the Undead Parish (next stage), grind it out against those fencer knights...once you get buffed enough, you can take them out pretty easily, just be cautious at first. They eventually drop the balder side sword, a really great weapon that you can carry through the whole game if you keep upgrading it all the way. It scales with DEX, I think, so put your souls into leveling up DEX.

If you have the master key, go down the watchtower where you went up to find the Taurus demon. At the bottom is a crazy huge knight with a giant sword who will body you immediately, you can lure him up the stairs and drop down, run to the door, unlock it with the master key, and run out of the tower. You'll find yourself in the Darkroot Basin -- on the right are big crystal golems and a hydra that spits water rockets, ignore them. Go left and follow the trail down, you'll eventually find a black knight like the one you fought in the undead berg that was guarding a ring. Kill him or run past him and just looking around until you find an item: the Grass Crest Shield, which helps you regenerate stamina and is an end-game quality shield.

If you don't have the master key (it would have been a starting gift), you'll have to wait to do this until you kill the boss in the Darkroot Garden, but you can skip ahead and do that soon if you run down past the Undead Parish bonfire and into the garden.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah bandit knife and slow walk.

I wouldn't read any more guides unless you get really stuck. I had a great time doing everything from scratch, even if/when i found out later how to do it "properly".

My only advice right now is test out your playstyle. Unequip some armour until you can fast roll, and just try dodging stuff for awhile. It's relatively easy to do. If you don't like that then I would go max tank - get the heaviest/slowest armour you can and just take hits. The slow roll is a total waste of time IMHO and you can't dodge anything.