• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia

(Click for general game info.)

🖥️ System requirements:
darksoulsremastered_sdgskm.jpg

🧰 Latest drivers: (as at 24/02/2022)
AMD: 22.2.2
Nvidia: 511.79

📊 Benchmarks:
GameGPU (Russian; launch build)
Overclock3D (English; launch build)

🎩 Tips and tricks:
Cap the frame rate/potentially improve frame times: Download RivaTuner Statistics Server (if you use MSI Afterburner, then you already have it installed), input your desired framerate limit in the "Framerate limit" box, and hit Enter . Alternatively, those with an Nvidia GPU can either cap the frame rate at the driver level via the Nvidia Control Panel (requires the 441.87+ drivers) or use Nvidia Inspector to force a vsync internal lower than one-half (click the small tool icon to open the game profile section).
Note: Useful if your system can't maintain, say, 60fps and you're sensitive to the wild fluctuations, or you're experiencing uneven frame times. The greater window the engine has to render a given frame, if you're imposing a lower frame rate than the game can otherwise provide, may also help in alleviating stuttering related to data streaming.

icon_warning.png
When posting your own tip/trick or something else you'd like to see here in the OP, be sure to tag my username (@GrrImAFridge), as this way I'll receive a notification. I may miss your suggestion otherwise.

⚙️ Graphics settings:

Resolution: Self-explanatory
Frequency (refresh rate): Self-explanatory
Display mode: Full screen; Borderless; Windowed
Vertical sync: Off/On
Anti-aliasing: Off; FXAA; FXAA High; Temporal
Motion blur: Off/On
Depth of field: Off/On
Ambient occlusion: Off/On

Last edited:

galv

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Frequency is limited to 60Hz refresh rate atm. There is 21:9 support. Game runs pretty flawlessly so far for me (1080ti/7700k). Game has improved particle effects, lighting model, TAA & per-object motion blur and is absolutely an upgrade.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
Not going to pick this up right away but...

Holy shit, are those Keyboard-key button-prompts I finally see?

Mutagenic

Oct 30, 2017
The game plays well so far, 30 minutes in. I didn't need to lower the hz of my 144hz monitor or anything like that.

burgerdog

Oct 27, 2017
God dammit I ordered the ps4 version cuz they just wouldn't list the damn thing on steam. Any idea what's the max res you guys are getting out of an aging 970?

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think my 1060 can handle native 4K, unfortunately. Some severe drops in effects heavy moments. I'll try 1800p tomorrow.

I'm not using the current drivers, but I doubt it makes a difference.

Kalik

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
in case any KB/M users are having issues remapping a few of the controls you need to go into: AppData\Local\FromSoftware\NBGI\DarkSouls

there's a keyboard mapping folder there...for me I wanted to remap the movement keys to the arrow buttons but the arrow buttons were locked into the Menu movement keys...so I needed to go in there and change it and now everything works fine...thanks to 99humanity and Gbraga from the other Dark Souls thread for the tip...

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
Little bit disappointing, thought they said there would be a higher res texture option. No Shadow/Resolution Scaler either.

FHIZ

Oct 28, 2017
Runs smooth like 99% of the time for me. Getting minor hitches here and there, but outside of that no problems so far. It doesn't seem frame rate related though. Not seeing any dips, feels like loading hitches but I'm running it off an SSD so who knows.

Nov 16, 2017
Birmingham, AL
Curious to see what existing mods work and which ones don't.

Def gonna wait and see if they do DS3 style soft banning. A texture mod showing quantity of souls value for the different soul pickups got me soft banned in DS3 with seemingly no return. :(

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
I'm not seeing what the people were complaining about pre-release.

This feels wayyyyyy more crisp and smooth than DS:PTD with DSFix did. And no need to tinker with it at all.

Zoid

Oct 27, 2017
same. is this available to play already?
Sure is, I just finished beating the Taurus Demon and kicking down the ladder!

The game looks a lot better than I expected. Playing at 1440p and the textures look fantastic, much better than DSFix did at 1080p, performance is also perfect so far. The new lighting looks great too.

madmook

Oct 27, 2017
SoCal
Runs great on my laptop with i5-7300 and GTX 1050 Ti, 1080p 60fps no problem.

Have encountered a bug where sometimes when launching the game the XB1 controller will not be recognized and it'll be KB&M controls only. Quitting and re-launching (sometimes multiple times) will eventually get the game to see that the controller is there. Using an XB1Elite controller with an official Microsoft wireless dongle.

Al3x1s

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Greece
I'm getting occasional momentary hitches when traversing through areas like it has to load stuff or cache or compile effects or whatever on an old i7 with a GTX1080 and 16GB of ram. Using all the good stuff in the settings, from temporal AA to AO. I don't recall that being the case when playing the original even with DSFix settings cranked up. At the very least it wasn't nearly as frequent. Other than that it's been smooth sailing, the lighting doesn't look flat like in some screenshots (even that one area going up the hill to the crow with the snow has a proper shadow and doesn't look bad) and the game's great as ever. That's it.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Went up to the knight fella in the asylum running it at 4K/60 on my old 970 + 4690k. Let's see if this holds...

BTW: my personal preferred controller bindings (Xbox pad), dodge/run on RB, attacks mapped to X and Y, estus on B, swap stance on RT. Jump on left sick (button press). The rest as usual. This allows you to run and control the camera at the same time.

Oct 25, 2017
Posted this in the OT, but probably best here.

Smooth as silk on a GTX 960 and I5 2400, but I have two issues.

EDIT: Fixed first issue.

Second: HUD scaling puts the inventory/menus off to the right of the screen instead of scaling in the center. Looks really awful.

http:///TjNc.png

Last edited:

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Is it just me, or do the resolution settings not save after closing the game? Each time I launch it, it's windowed. Annoying.

Deleted member 16908

Oct 27, 2017
If you're having stuttering/momentary slowdown every once in a while, apparently switching from TAA to FXAA might fix it. Haven't tried it myself but someone on the dark souls reddit said it worked for them.

MilkBeard

Oct 25, 2017
Well, bought and installing on PC. Can't wait to try it out later. Should be cool to play with everyone starting at zero.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
I played a bit last night. It looks and runs great, just like it did with dsfix. It is nice to not have to toggle the framerate for jumps and sliding down ladders though. UI scale is also nice.

I loved that you could hear the church bells going off non-stop. Lots of people playing.

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
The remaster runs at silk smooth 4K 60 FPS with TAA and ambient-occlusion turned on, using a GTX 1080. I've played to the cathedral part and the game never dropped frames, even when the screen was literally covered in alpha effects.

I believe the FOV is a little higher compared to Prepare to Die Edition, but I'm not sure.

Last edited:

Lux86

Oct 27, 2017
I7-3770, 20gb Ram, zotac gtx 1070 mini - 4k/60
Not a single problem, runs very smoothly.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
This is the first game that I really notice the input delay in when using Vsync. I usually always have it on with other games, but here it seems really bad for some reason.

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't think I have ever played a Dark Souls at release, I heard a lot of bells going off at Firelink Shrine, is that other players successfully ringing them ?

Anyway, game runs like a champ, don't think anyone should really have performance problems. Only oddity I noticed was the game seems to turn off "Enhance Pointer Precision" itself in windows ?

Also not able to change refresh rate form 60. Running the game in borderless, that should force it to my desktop refresh rate surely ?

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
This is the first game that I really notice the input delay in when using Vsync. I usually always have it on with other games, but here it seems really bad for some reason.

Could be a few reasons for that.

1) If the game runs really fast, then you can experience up to a full frame of extra delay because the game is being rendered too quickly before the monitor displays it.
2) Triple buffered vsync can be configured with or without a swappable frame-buffer AFAIK. If it's not using a swappable frame-buffer, that means it's rendering in a queue. Usually that's 3 frames of added lag.

I'd suggest a few things. The best solution if you have an NVidia card is to use FastSync instead of Vertical Sync. You can access this in your NVidia control panel. That will ensure you are displaying the latest frame at all times and greatly reduce input lag. Note that you do need to maintain >60fps for this to work correctly.

Another thing you could try is changing the pre-rendered frame number in the NVidia control panel to 0. That will make sure the CPU isn't rendering ahead of the GPU and *could* help.