• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Is the game's vsync double buffered? I've seen a few people mentioning turning down vsync to get better performance.

Exceptionally bad input lag is usually the result of a bad triple buffering implementation, not double buffering. With a consistent 60fps, double buffering is faster than traditional triple buffering since there's no frame queue.

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Aww yiss

570940_2018052421015322opk.png

DeejayDoom

Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting 1-2 seconds freezings in almost fixed intervals of 9-10 seconds, in-game and even on the main menu. Tried with everything off, fullscreen, windowed, borderless, and nothing. And i've seen several people with the same issue on Reddit and the Steam forums. Nobody knows the cause.

GPU usage shows it really well:

pnKINYR.png

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I'd suggest a few things. The best solution if you have an NVidia card is to use FastSync instead of Vertical Sync. You can access this in your NVidia control panel. That will ensure you are displaying the latest frame at all times and greatly reduce input lag. Note that you do need to maintain >60fps for this to work correctly.

Another thing you could try is changing the pre-rendered frame number in the NVidia control panel to 0. That will make sure the CPU isn't rendering ahead of the GPU and *could* help.

Thanks. Had fastsync enabled already, but didn't think of the pre-rendered frames. Will give that a go.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting 1-2 seconds freezings in almost fixed intervals of 9-10 seconds, in-game and even on the main menu. Tried with everything off, fullscreen, windowed, borderless, and nothing. And i've seen several people with the same issue on Reddit and the Steam forums. Nobody knows the cause.

pnKINYR.png
Someone said to use FXAA High instead, that didn't help?

MadDecent

Banned
May 24, 2018
I can't adjust "Frequency", the only option is 60Hz. I have a 144Hz monitor and a 1080Ti I'd like to use to it's fullest extent :-/

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks. Had fastsync enabled already, but didn't think of the pre-rendered frames. Will give that a go.

Could be that FastSync doesn't work at all in DS:R. The fact that only 60Hz is selectable makes it sound like VSync is irrelevant. Can anyone confirm whether turning VSync off in-game results in >60 fps?

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
Any ideas on why my game is randomly exiting fullscreen and losing focus? As soon as I refocus it, it goes back to fullscreen, but in between that I have no control and the game doesn't pause. I'm using an xinput controller, definitely not hitting the windows key or anything like that. There's no other application popping anything up that I'm aware of.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Could be that FastSync doesn't work at all in DS:R. The fact that only 60Hz is selectable makes it sound like VSync is irrelevant. Can anyone confirm whether turning VSync off in-game results in >60 fps?

Oh, I meant I enabled fastsync after the in-game vsync seemed off. Fastsync seems to work since it's eliminating tearing that was taking place without it on.

edit:

Is anyone else seeing this weird blue shimmer on certain reflective objects? It's only visible under certain angles, but it keeps cropping up. In certain areas it's on the sword's sheen too.

On the stairs:

On the barrel:

In the puddle:

Maybe it's my graphics card failing? (I doubt it though).

Last edited:

Deleted member 1067

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
3325x1871 Nvidia DSR works pretty good without (visible) framedrops in Asylum, 50-70% videocard usage. Too bad there is no 1800p option..
Also there is no vibration with Dualshock 4..
You can just set a custom resolution for 3200x1800 in the Nvidia control panel

Not sure why youd want it though if 3325x1871 is only using 50-70% of your GPU ???

Deleted member 1067

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Boss fights :D
How to add custom resolutions to DSR?
You have to disable dsr unfortunately :/ you can add back all the options in the custom resolution section though.

I'm on mobile ATM but pretty sure you just head to the display settings and there should be a tab on the screen for resolutions, and below that should be an option to "add custom resolution..." or something like that.

Really cool because you can even set 21:9 resolutions this way if you're so inclined.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, I meant I enabled fastsync after the in-game vsync seemed off. Fastsync seems to work since it's eliminating tearing that was taking place without it on.

edit:

Is anyone else seeing this weird blue shimmer on certain reflective objects? It's only visible under certain angles, but it keeps cropping up. In certain areas it's on the sword's sheen too.

On the stairs:

On the barrel:

In the puddle:

Maybe it's my graphics card failing? (I doubt it though).
It's part of the game. Not sure about the other examples, but at least the puddle one is reflecting some nearby light source like fire:

u2ZEtZe.jpg

(Original vs Remaster)

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
(using nvidia)

I've found that the game will only recognize my custom resolutions if I set them at 60Hz. If they are defined with 144 the game ignores them. The game populates its resolution list at startup, so if you add a resolution you need to full restart the game. If you're trying to use a resolution that doesn't match your monitor's aspect ratio, like ultrawide 21:9 on a 16:9 monitor, make sure to set your scaling mode in "Adjust desktop size and position" to Aspect ratio, perform scaling on GPU, and tick the box for Override the scaling mode. This setting seems to frequently get wiped by driver updates, so even if you've set it in the past you might need to again

Deleted member 1067

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
(using nvidia)

I've found that the game will only recognize my custom resolutions if I set them at 60Hz. If they are defined with 144 the game ignores them. The game populates its resolution list at startup, so if you add a resolution you need to full restart the game. If you're trying to use a resolution that doesn't match your monitor's aspect ratio, like ultrawide 21:9 on a 16:9 monitor, make sure to set your scaling mode in "Adjust desktop size and position" to Aspect ratio, perform scaling on GPU, and tick the box for Override the scaling mode. This setting seems to frequently get wiped by driver updates, so even if you've set it in the past you might need to again
I wonder if it's a bandwidth thing due to shoddy coding. I remember Far Cry 4 had a similar issue in that it refused to take full screen resolutions and refresh rates over x amount of bandwidth. Just for shits and giggles, try running it at 720x480p144hz and see what happens.

Luke76bg

Oct 29, 2017
x7obNV.png

i see these requirements on steam. These are different from the requirements posted in the thread O_O

butman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
That's why this time i'll go with PS4. To many stories with different configurations. Bamco is bad at PC.

OP
OP
GrrImAFridge

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
x7obNV.png

i see these requirements on steam. These are different from the requirements posted in the thread O_O

Ah, looks like they were updated. I've replaced the image in the OP. Cheers.

That's why this time i'll go with PS4. To many stories with different configurations. Bamco is bad at PC.

You could buy it on on Steam and refund it if you encounter issues. On that note, a reminder that time played in Offline Mode (currently) doesn't count against the two-hour window on refunds. Take advantage of that while tinkering/troubleshooting and leave the two hours for the game proper.

madmook

Oct 27, 2017
SoCal
Has anyone managed to play it at 30 FPS with cutting the game speed in half? Next week when I'm out of town all I'll have is my laptop.
Looks like game speed is fundamentally tied to 60fps, so nope. For now, at least. I hope they patch it so that people who can't maintain 60fps with their PC can also enjoy the game.

BLLYjoe25

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
is there a solution for the game randomly dropping framerate. i keep getting drops to ~55fps. my PC is hardly breaking a sweat with the game so i doubt it's my PC which is more than powerful enough.

Buddy

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Anyone playing this with an RX 470/480? CPU would be a i5 6600

Trying to decide between ps4 (og) and PC version

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND

pnKINYR.png
I have yet to experience this on 3 different configurations, but perhaps a fresh reinstall to a new steam library folder on a different drive... or making sure you have performance mode and not power saving mode in your control panel.
Is the game's vsync double buffered? I've seen a few people mentioning turning down vsync to get better performance.
Yeah it is. You can use adaptive sync if you want in NVCP, or match your desktop resolution to your game resolution and just play in borderless windowed with Vsync off.

Oct 25, 2017
I have yet to experience this on 3 different configurations, but perhaps a fresh reinstall to a new steam library folder on a different drive... or making sure you have performance mode and not power saving mode in your control panel.

Yeah it is. You can use adaptive sync if you want in NVCP, or match your desktop resolution to your game resolution and just play in borderless windowed with Vsync off.
Could that be the reason for these stutters? Maybe the game is only dropping a couple of frames when streaming assets, but the double buffered vsync makes it feel like it stopped.

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
Could that be the reason for these stutters? Maybe the game is only dropping a couple of frames when streaming assets, but the double buffered vsync makes it feel like it stopped.
I did just test a dual core configuration with the game and I saw periodic stutter drops. So maybe it has to do with the CPU... idk.
And yeah, a double buffered vsync wwould difinitely make it seem visually worse.
The game does tend to stutter drop if you see the flame icon in the right hand corner, that is the game saving.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
I was getting a bit of stutter occasionally, but using the in-game vsync fixed it. I was using borderless windowed mode with in-game vsync off before. I tried capping FPS with Rivatuner as well but no luck. Didn't matter what my AA setting was.

The lack of ambient sounds in places is annoying and I hope that patch that quick.

Deleted member 16136

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do seem to get a bit of stutter, no rhyme or reason, just a split second pause then back to normal every .... 2/5/10 minutes ? Dunno. Thankfully not off putting enough despite my hatred of stuttering. Sometimes with the save icon on, sometimes not.

Oct 25, 2017
I think Dark Souls III had the same autosave and loading stutters at launch, but it was fixed. Hopefully it'll be the same here.

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
I was getting a bit of stutter occasionally, but using the in-game vsync fixed it. I was using borderless windowed mode with in-game vsync off before. I tried capping FPS with Rivatuner as well but no luck. Didn't matter what my AA setting was.

The lack of ambient sounds in places is annoying and I hope that patch that quick.
Is it missing sounds compared to the original?

Ryu Elessar

Oct 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
Do seem to get a bit of stutter, no rhyme or reason, just a split second pause then back to normal every .... 2/5/10 minutes ? Dunno. Thankfully not off putting enough despite my hatred of stuttering. Sometimes with the save icon on, sometimes not.

I was getting this too, switching my PC's power mode from Balanced to Performance has corrected it so far. (5820k @4.0, 1080, 3840x2160, SSD, 16gb RAM)

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
I'm getting no issues at all on a Gtx1060, intel 8600k at 1440p 60fps. Only complaint so far is that the Steam Controller can't use the mouse / gamepad mode, just as the original version.

I'll be getting a 21:9 monitor soon, so quite curious to see how it goes

xenocide

Oct 25, 2017
Vermont
Does this game natively support DualShock 4? I played SOTFS on PC using a DS4, and it required some trickery and was never natively supported. Just wondering if DS:R was updated to include support or if I'll have to remember what buttons the Xbox equivalents are.

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Does this game natively support DualShock 4? I played SOTFS on PC using a DS4, and it required some trickery and was never natively supported. Just wondering if DS:R was updated to include support or if I'll have to remember what buttons the Xbox equivalents are.
No it's currently only Xbox buttons. But Steam itself has very good support for DS4. You should just change Sharebutton to Screenshot and Touchpad to a divided 2 button for Options and Start. Custom settings will only be kept in the current game afaik

Joe Spangle

Nov 1, 2017

No it's currently only Xbox buttons. But Steam itself has very good support for DS4. You should just change Sharebutton to Screenshot and Touchpad to a divided 2 button for Options and Start. Custom settings will only be kept in the current game afaik

Errr....it does have ps button prompts. You just need to disable the steam controller option which is overiding them.

Mar 17, 2018
What a janky ass remaster lol. No thanks I just beat the PC version looking better than this with a texture pack. I have no reason to go back. Fun game one time through for me.

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
Errr....it does have ps button prompts. You just need to disable the steam controller option which is overiding them.
Yeah, game had native DS4 support (tested on V2 controller), wired or wireless through BT adapter, but no vibration (vibration only works with steam controller support enabled and xbox button prompts of course)

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Just realized that I haven't been getting vibration on an XBO pad either... Is this a bug?