• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Duffking

Oct 27, 2017
Quick question:

Is using the drake sword considered as 'cheating'? It's obviosuly a legitimate weapon that exists within the lore of the game but it's so OP for where you are when you get it...
It's a generally terrible weapon in the long run so you're basically making things harder for yourself in the future if you use it as a crutch early on.

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I will get that amiibo the ps4 version is on sale for like 18 euros here so...... ill probably just get that.

Think the amiibo will become quite rare so ill keep it boxed. But its neat for peeps who want a portable experience. Its just 40 vs 18 price wise... yeah i rather save that 22 and get the amiibo with it :)

Santiako

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm impressed at the Solaire amiibo's quality

image0.jpg

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Been loving this despite the poor audio, the game looks so sharp on the Switch's screen, that coupled with the inherent immersion of playing it portably are making for a great experience despite being my fourth playthrough of the game. I didn't necessarily dislike the lighting in the "bigger" remaster but there's something about the OG look that's very nice, places like Undead Parish and Darkroot are real lookers.

I'm trying pyromancy (and any kind of magic really) for the first time and it's been interesting. Went for the great scythe as soon as I got to firelink and boy that was a struggle but it worked out and it's paid off and then some lol. Gargoyles didn't stand a chance and nor did Capra, the depths are next!
A summary of my time with this game so far.

This illustrates why going for the master key you first time through isn't necessarily the best choice, haha.

You'll be fine tho, backstab that bastard to death if you must.

Weegian

Oct 27, 2017
You took the master key as your gift, didn't you? That was probably a mistake for a first playthrough. You normally wouldn't be able to stumble in on Havel until much later (though he'd probably still oneshot you regardless :P ).

Been loving this despite the poor audio, the game looks so sharp on the Switch's screen, that coupled with the inherent immersion of playing it portably are making for a great experience despite being my fourth playthrough of the game. I didn't necessarily dislike the lighting in the "bigger" remaster but there's something about the OG look that's very nice, places like Undead Parish and Darkroot are real lookers.

I'm trying pyromancy (and any kind of magic really) for the first time and it's been interesting. Went for the great scythe as soon as I got to firelink and boy that was a struggle but it worked out and it's paid off and then some lol. Gargoyles didn't stand a chance and nor did Capra, the depths are next!

This illustrates why going for the master key you first time through isn't necessarily the best choice, haha.

You'll be fine tho, backstab that bastard to death if you must.

I learned my lesson and continued going up instead. So instead of dying to this guy, I am now dying to the Bell Gargoyles.

dirtyjane

Oct 27, 2017
I can't count the times I did an DEX playthrough with the estoc or uchi/iato of DS1 and after finishing this one I'm stumped, anyone got an idea for an interesting (not too hard) build?

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I can't count the times I did an DEX playthrough with the estoc or uchi/iato of DS1 and after finishing this one I'm stumped, anyone got an idea for an interesting (not too hard) build?

I did magic for the first time on PS4, which was certainly unique, if not a lot easier than my first playthrough.

The way I did it was
start with the master key
Go down to New Londo as soon as I hit Firelink
Go to Valley of Drakes
Go into Blighttown through the exit via the master key
Grab the crimson set and the tin banishment catalyst (it's a catalyst that has a spear type thrust as it's melee)

This kept me going until O&S, at which point I swapped it to the similar Moonlight Butterfly Horn via the Giant Blacksmith

LastCupOfBullets

Alt account
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
If I die during a multiplayer summon (me summoning) why do the summon spots disappear afterwards even when I redo my humanity?

I'd love to have some help in Blighttown but the summon spots have disappeared even though I am still human.

Deleted member 33571

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Weird question, but did I skip the capra demon somehow? I've rung the parish bell and I'm in the catacombs now (not even positive this is the right way to blighttown but I'm making it through) and I never fought the capra demon or even saw where it would be..... There was another large gate in the parish that I think had the starting bonfire from the network test on the other side but I never made it over there....

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
"You see that mountain? You can Praise the Sun up there."
Just caught Digital Foundry's video. Will be picking this up soon! Can't wait to explore Lordran again!!

Weird question, but did I skip the capra demon somehow? I've rung the parish bell and I'm in the catacombs now (not even positive this is the right way to blighttown but I'm making it through) and I never fought the capra demon or even saw where it would be..... There was another large gate in the parish that I think had the starting bonfire from the network test on the other side but I never made it over there....
If you can make it through
Dark Root Garden and Basin, you can find a tunnel to Valley of the Drakes. From there, there is a back door to Blight Town, skipping most of it and all of The Depths, which is where the key you get for beating Capra takes you.
Hope that helps!!

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017

Ohhhhhhh.... You're going the wrong way lol.
You will have been past the large gate from the network test though: once you beat the Taurus Demon, you go to where Solaire is, and across the bridge which the dragon sets on fire. That gate is what the dragon is guarding, and it's not really an important area. Definitely try to get there, as there's something there, but it doesn't lead to anywhere new, so you don't need to get through to progress.

As for getting to the Capra Demon, it's
on that same bridge. The door opposite the door you enter the bridge on.

Deleted member 33571

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
"You see that mountain? You can Praise the Sun up there."
Just caught Digital Foundry's video. Will be picking this up soon! Can't wait to explore Lordran again!!

If you can make it through
Dark Root Garden and Basin, you can find a tunnel to Valley of the Drakes. From there, there is a back door to Blight Town, skipping most of it and all of The Depths, which is where the key you get for beating Capra takes you.
Hope that helps!!
Thanks for this! I actually
found the Valley of Drakes but left almost immediately cause I figured it was a late game area ha. Maybe I'll give it a real try or just try the other way for a bit. Thanks again.

Edit...
Ohhhhhhh.... You're going the wrong way lol.
You will have been past the large gate from the network test though: once you beat the Taurus Demon, you go to where Solaire is, and across the bridge which the dragon sets on fire. That gate is what the dragon is guarding, and it's not really an important area. Definitely try to get there, as there's something there, but it doesn't lead to anywhere new, so you don't need to get through to progress.

As for getting to the Capra Demon, it's
on that same bridge. The door opposite the door you enter the bridge on.
Ah okay. I did see that door but it was locked if I remember correctly... Shouldn't be too hard to get back there and I've picked up a couple keys I didn't know what to do with since then. Thanks!

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
found the Valley of Drakes but left almost immediately cause I figured it was a late game area ha. Maybe I'll give it a real try or just try the other way for a bit. Thanks again.
Hug the walls, avoid the enemies (they're slow, but there is a bonfire near by just in case!) And you'll be fine!
EDIT
whoops! I misread your post! Thought you asked how to skip Capra, not if you did! The post above mine has what you want!!

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
If I die during a multiplayer summon (me summoning) why do the summon spots disappear afterwards even when I redo my humanity?

I'd love to have some help in Blighttown but the summon spots have disappeared even though I am still human.

That's strange. Is the boss in Blighttown still alive? You can only summon in areas in which you haven't killed the boss yet.

If you haven't and you can't see summon signs when human, yeah, something is off. Check if you are still online.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017

Edit...
Ah okay. I did see that door but it was locked if I remember correctly... Shouldn't be too hard to get back there and I've picked up a couple keys I didn't know what to do with since then. Thanks!

No problem.
The catacombs are a pain to get out of if you go too deep in early on in the game. If people are going down there at the start of the game, they'll generally not rest at any bonfires on the way down so that they can just homeward bone back to Firelink.

GenG

Oct 26, 2017
Excuse me, I need some pointers here trying to reach the end of the
Tomb of the Giants.

I met the nun and the suspicious dude, I got to the end of the cave but the exit is sealed by a power. How can I open it?

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Tomb of the Giants.

I met the nun and the suspicious dude, I got to the end of the cave but the exit is sealed by a power. How can I open it?

You have to obtain the
lord Vessel after clearing Anor Londo, which is about halfway through the game.

So you've basically reached a dead-end in the Tomb of Giants. Might as well explore for loot while you are there.

At least you got the Rite of Kindling early!

Last edited:

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
I rennet why this is my least favorite ds game every time I get to tomb of giants and lower new londo. I hate the pitch black areas.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
A summary of my time with this game so far.

Hah, same thing happened to me yesterday. I haven't played Dark Souls 1 in such a long long time that I'd completely forgot that was there. :D

I even tried running further up thinking that it'd just leash like I remember enemies doing in the more recent soulsborne games but nope. He ran all the way up to the top, lol.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah may as well post this here, this was while I was trying to get the Great Scythe early on-

Weegian

Oct 27, 2017
Hah, same thing happened to me yesterday. I haven't played Dark Souls 1 in such a long long time that I'd completely forgot that was there. :D

I even tried running further up thinking that it'd just leash like I remember enemies doing in the more recent soulsborne games but nope. He ran all the way up to the top, lol.
As you can tell (at around the 20 second mark), I had the brilliant idea of trying to close the door on him. I learned my lesson.

RockyBalboa_

Apr 28, 2018
Havel is pretty easy to beat especially if you use the strategy as an earn level player. Lead him to just outside the doorway of where you enter from undead burg and just pepper him with fireballs or firebombs. He dies after a while!

traillaitor

Jun 10, 2018
Wayyyy more hooked on this than I thought I'd be.

The pick up and play nature of the Switch really works perfectly with Souls because you get so tempted to just pick up and try "one more time" and can put it down out of frustration whenever you want. Great port.

LastCupOfBullets

Alt account
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
That's strange. Is the boss in Blighttown still alive? You can only summon in areas in which you haven't killed the boss yet.

If you haven't and you can't see summon signs when human, yeah, something is off. Check if you are still online.

I was connected but will try again in a few now that I am done teaching my morning classes.

Thanks for your help!

CloudWolf

Oct 26, 2017
Tomb of the Giants.

Oh man, I hope you didn't stop at any bonfire after entering the catacombs, 'cause else you're fucked.

Well, you can still get out, but it's probably one of the hardest and most confusing runs in all of Dark Souls

What-ok

Dec 13, 2017
PDX OR
Tomb of the Giants.

)= Time to head back to the surface until you trigger a certain event that unlocks that area along with a few others.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Tomb of the Giants.

Oh god I can't even imagine making that trip back. Good luck!

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Tomb of the Giants.

The trip back to Firelink will be one you tell your grandkids about.

On my first playthrough I got far enough to meet that asshole Patches, and then I realized my mistake and it took forever to climb back to the surface. A good five or so hours "wasted", but a hell of an experience.

Easy fast travel took much away from the atmosphere of the sequels.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
how does it control in handheld mode? I imagine it can't be easy with the little joysticks? Anyone that played the game before can chime in?

Oct 29, 2017

Remember where the big red dragon is on the bridge?

There is a door towards the end of the bridge where Solaire was standing. Follow the path down there and Capra demon will be through the fog gate.

how does it control in handheld mode? I imagine it can't be easy with the little joysticks? Anyone that played the game before can chime in?

Takes a bit of getting used to as the shoulder buttons are kind of bizarrely placed. Clicking the stick to lock also takes getting used to.

Uh how do you kick again?

Press R1 and push the left stick forward at the same time.

Rrang

Oct 27, 2017
OH, USA
Sound issues aside, really enjoy playing through this again on Switch! Having it in handheld mode is so cool / somewhat mindblowing, after playing it originally on 360 back in 2011.

Reversed the trigger controls, since that was screwing me up on handheld mode. Didn't take long to get used to it! Wish I could change B and A, however, that keeps screwing me up, haha

UCBooties

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Pennsylvania, USA
Just got to the Capra Demon for the first time and I think I'm done with this game, lol.

Just getting to that fight is rough with the dogs and assassins. I'll have to figure out what the best path for a boss run so I'm not showing up with no estus left.

Oct 29, 2017
Seconding this question. What weapon should I go for? Where is that Undead Burg merchant, can't seem to find him.

Get the Claymore.

It's on the bridge with the dragon.

Just got to the Capra Demon for the first time and I think I'm done with this game, lol.

Just getting to that fight is rough with the dogs and assassins. I'll have to figure out what the best path for a boss run so I'm not showing up with no estus left.

The run directly from Firelink Shrine - inside the aqueduct

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Playing this on the Switch is great, got some lucky drops of both a Black Knight Sword and a Balder Side Sword so this playthrough has been pretty easy thus far. Just got to Blighttown though.

henlo_birb

Dec 15, 2017
I love this game so much. This is probably the first time I've made use of the Switch and really taken advantage of the ability to lift it out of the dock, lay down, and keep playing. Maybe if the updated Switch is powerful enough we could see a port of Dark Souls II & III as well!

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

When you enter the boss room, immediately run to the left and get up the stairs. Capra will walk pretty slow up to you and that should give you time to kill the dogs before he can reach you. Wait for him to start walking up the stairs and then jump down, which will give you time to heal and prepare yourself to fight him one on one.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

I've never actually understood the complaints about the joycons. I have pretty average to large hands and have had no issues whatsoever with the sticks or the shoulder buttons. It plays beautifully.

Then again I played DS1-3 on PC with keyboard and mouse and I guess if I can survive that terrible experience I can adapt to anything.

If you keep exploring past that fight (without going in) you'll find a handy shortcut.

LTWood

Oct 26, 2017
Is there a really good walkthrough for this anywhere? I played this way back in 2011 and made it to Anor Lando before real life caught up with me. I'd like to give it another shot.

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've never actually understood the complaints about the joycons. I have pretty average to large hands and have had no issues whatsoever with the sticks or the shoulder buttons. It plays beautifully.

Then again I played DS1-3 on PC with keyboard and mouse and I guess if I can survive that terrible experience I can adapt to anything.
I play a lot of fortnite on ps4 and whenever I try and play it in handheld mode on the switch its practically impossible (its obviously a lot better with the pro controller). I'm hoping I can get used to it with Dark Souls, looking forward to replaying it on my euro trip next year.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I play a lot of fortnite on ps4 and whenever I try and play it in handheld mode on the switch its practically impossible (its obviously a lot better with the pro controller). I'm hoping I can get used to it with Dark Souls, looking forward to replaying it on my euro trip next year.

It's probably just a matter of getting used to then. I don't have a PS4 or XB1 so this is really the only controller I've been using for the past year and a half.