• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
OK, will I go back to where I finished? Or will it be the last bonfire? I thought bonfire but perhaps I'm wrong.

If you quit out of the game, you will load in exactly where you left off, but the enemies won't be aggro'd. If you quit during a boss, you'll be outside their fog wall.

It's part of the reason people are baffled by the 'you can't pause' nonsense. It's a bit of a longer process than your normal pause, but you can stop the game at any point aside from bosses if you need to answer the door etc., with no loss of progress.

nekunando

Sep 6, 2018
How are ya'll Nintendo people liking this game?

From the overall theme and setting to the unwelcoming controls and constant death, I feel like I shouldn't enjoy Dark Souls at all..

..and yet I absolutely love it, so far :)

I feel like I've been through a lot so far but I understand I'm still fairly early on in the game as I've just reached the boss of Blight Town (and lost)

Twinguistics

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Loving it! This is my first souls game and it's so good. Just got to the bell gargoyles and finding it a bit tough. I'm having trouble with the black Knight on route to the gargoyles and, even when I do pass him the gargoyle wrecks me quickly. I've seen tips to summon this or that but can't see any sign and I don't know how to do that The game could explain things better I think.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
Awesome game, tough but fair, albeit it can in certain cases show its age.
I'm currently in New londo ruins searching for the very large ember but I'm getting my ass kicked by these skeleton knights you encounter once you release the water.
I just lost 25k souls. Dammit.

Edit : it's also worth noting that online seems quite active, it's great.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
So how does the online family plan work?

Can I buy it and then add others later or do you have to set it up right away?

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Seeing so many newcomers to the series enjoying the game so much warms my old heart. I feel so happy and I truly hope they port DS2 to Switch as well.

Awesome game, tough but fair, albeit it can in certain cases show its age.
I'm currently in New londo ruins searching for the very large ember but I'm getting my ass kicked by these skeleton knights you encounter once you release the water.
I just lost 25k souls. Dammit.

Edit : it's also worth noting that online seems quite active, it's great.

The Darkwraiths (the Skeletor cosplayers in New Londo) are quite succeptible to parries and backstabbing so that's the best way of dealing with them.

I've seen tips to summon this or that but can't see any sign and I don't know how to do that The game could explain things better I think.

You have to be in human form in order to see summon signs.

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018

Quite liking it, and the difficulty is mostly manageable... except when I have twice now had to restart the whole game when I accidentally hit an important NPC and can't take it back. The second time I hit Andre right before going to Sen's Fortress. This time around I haven't been nearly as lucky in terms of weapon drops.

Avoiding accidental hostilities is the one place where a little forgiveness would help.

Nov 6, 2017
Quite liking it, and the difficulty is mostly manageable... except when I have twice now had to restart the whole game when I accidentally hit an important NPC and can't take it back. The second time I hit Andre right before going to Sen's Fortress. This time around I haven't been nearly as lucky in terms of weapon drops.

Avoiding accidental hostilities is the one place where a little forgiveness would help.

In the future you can absolve your sins at Oswald in the Bell Tower that you fought the gargoyles. He'll revert NPCs back to their not aggro state as long as you don't kill the NPC. You just have to pay souls to do it.

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
In the future you can absolve your sins at Oswald in the Bell Tower that you fought the gargoyles. He'll revert NPCs back to their not aggro state as long as you don't kill the NPC. You just have to pay souls to do it.
Ah, I thought that was for PvP indictments or the like. Really sucks, that titanite catch pole was very useful too (used it to hit the drake's tail which caused the whole drake to go away, which I only later found out is a glitch.)

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
Wtf, can't you suspend the game without losing Internet connecting and going back to the main screen? That's awful! So I can't suspend at home and then start again at home without exiting and restarting? That's some bs.

To not be able to suspend and the pick up and play at home for quick ten min blasts is a huge downer for me.
If you are trying to play offline, there is an option to start the game in offline mode. I couldn't figure it out for a day, then realized that would be the worse use of switch. So I only play offline. Which is cool, I'm not ready for the randomness of online, whatever that is.

Btw, this game is amazing. It's clicking and sinking it's teeth into me.

Deleted member 16025

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Loving it! This is my first souls game and it's so good. Just got to the bell gargoyles and finding it a bit tough. I'm having trouble with the black Knight on route to the gargoyles and, even when I do pass him the gargoyle wrecks me quickly. I've seen tips to summon this or that but can't see any sign and I don't know how to do that The game could explain things better I think.
You need to be in human form to summon others, even NPC partners like Solaire. When the number next to your life bar is 1 or more, go to a bonfire and reverse hollowing. This makes you human and then you can see other players' summon signs and those for NPC's when they are available (usually just before bosses and only if you met them first).

Beware though, being human leaves you open to invasions from other players. There are some real dicks out there who exist only to grief newer players.

That said, I advise you to kindle bonfires whenever possible. That costs 1 humanity (same as reverse hollowing) but you can do each Fire 3 times once you have "Rite of Kindling" which will give you 20 uses from your flask when you've kindled a fire to the max. That's a massive help in the first half of the game, IMO.

This video shows you how to get there and also provides extra steps toward getting a fire weapon if you want, so check it out and at least do the Rite of Kindling to make your life easier. Good luck!
https://youtu.be/j27jbZ29FAA

yumayuma

Feb 23, 2018
The way down to the Catacombs is so Castlevania. I always thought From Software could do a Castlevania reboot in the style of Dark Souls with more metroidvania elements. It's a pity I didn't upgrade my whip to 10 because I'd love to do that area Castlevania-style :)

Twinguistics

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You need to be in human form to summon others, even NPC partners like Solaire. When the number next to your life bar is 1 or more, go to a bonfire and reverse hollowing. This makes you human and then you can see other players' summon signs and those for NPC's when they are available (usually just before bosses and only if you met them first).

Beware though, being human leaves you open to invasions from other players. There are some real dicks out there who exist only to grief newer players.

That said, I advise you to kindle bonfires whenever possible. That costs 1 humanity (same as reverse hollowing) but you can do each Fire 3 times once you have "Rite of Kindling" which will give you 20 uses from your flask when you've kindled a fire to the max. That's a massive help in the first half of the game, IMO.

This video shows you how to get there and also provides extra steps toward getting a fire weapon if you want, so check it out and at least do the Rite of Kindling to make your life easier. Good luck!
https://youtu.be/j27jbZ29FAA
Thanks! I figured it out and had two npcs helping me but still died lol. I've got about 5 humanity left which I'll keep using. Hope I don't get through them all, not sure I'll beat these two as a hollow!

Deleted member 16025

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks! I figured it out and had two npcs helping me but still died lol. I've got about 5 humanity left which I'll keep using. Hope I don't get through them all, not sure I'll beat these two as a hollow!
Take a break from trying the Gargoyles and go get that rite of kindling. Having 20 flasks can get you through that Gargoyle fight! Also, focus on the tail of the first one. You'll not only get an axe once it's cut, but it removes one of their attacks.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
The way down to the Catacombs is so Castlevania. I always thought From Software could do a Castlevania reboot in the style of Dark Souls with more metroidvania elements. It's a pity I didn't upgrade my whip to 10 because I'd love to do that area Castlevania-style :)
Yeah, the whip is a terrible weapon unfortunately. It's much better in DS2, but even so I used double whips in power-stance mode (the dual-wielding mechanic of DS2), which was pretty fun.

yumayuma

Feb 23, 2018
Yeah, the whip is a terrible weapon unfortunately. It's much better in DS2, but even so I used double whips in power-stance mode (the dual-wielding mechanic of DS2), which was pretty fun.

I thought I would skip 2 if the sequels ever came to Switch. Now I think 2 could be fun, too. But it's good that they're not yet out because I think it could be tiring to play them back to back.

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone explain the numbers next to your health? Soft kindling? Can I use that at bonfires?

And if I'm offline, what does becoming human do?

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Power Stance is so amazingly ridiculous.

Can someone explain the numbers next to your health? Soft kindling? Can I use that at bonfires?

And if I'm offline, what does becoming human do?

The number is your humanity, which is different from the item "humanity". Using the item will increase the number you're talking about. Humanity can be spent at a bonfire to reverse hollowing (turn human) and once you're human, you can spend another humanity to kindle that bonfire so that the number of Estus Flasks you get from resting at that bonfire is increased by 5. Initially, each bonfire can only be kindled once, but later you'll acquire the ability to kindle each bonfire 3 times total, to get 20 flasks. Note that each bonfire must be kindled individually.

So even offline, being human is necessary to Kindle bonfires, and you also need to be human in order to summon NPCs to help you in boss battles.

Last edited:

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
Power Stance is so amazingly ridiculous.

The number is your humanity, which is different from the item "humanity". Using the item will increase the number you're talking about. Humanity can be spent at a bonfire to reverse hollowing (turn human) and once you're human, you can spend another humanity to kindle that bonfire so that the number of Estus Flasks you get from resting at that bonfire is increased by 5. Initially, each bonfire can only be kindled once, but later you'll acquire the ability to kindle each bonfire 3 times total, to get 20 flasks. Note that each bonfire must be kindled individually.

So even offline, being human is necessary to Kindle bonfires, and you also need to be human in order to summon NPCs to help you in boss battles.
Thanks. So can you use the humanity (soft)? I read that you could use that, instead of the item. I just did the reverse hallowing near the tower Knight, outside of sen's fortress. But if I can save/hoard the item, I can use that soft humanity instead.

Off topic
I just killed Petrus. Is he necessary for anything big?

He gave me a coin and I accidentally hit him. He chased me and I ran. So I had to put him down. It was an accident.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
You can only use soft humanity (the counter on the top left) for the purposes I mentioned. The humanity item is, like you said, so you have a supply of humanity you can cash in case you die and lose it or run out.

The only thing the item does is increase your humanity counter, and heal you.

Petrus is part of a couple of questlines and he's the earliest source of miracles but other than that, he's not essential.

Deleted member 33571

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
The DLC stuff has been one of my favorite parts of the game so far. I feel like I had had pretty much every location and most of the bosses in the game spoiled for me over the years, but this stuff has been all new to me and it's been great. There's only like two real enemy types in Oolacile Township but it felt just like exploring the Undead Burg in that I sort of had my guard up and was getting thrown off by tricky enemy placements the whole time. The post-Anor Londo stuff was kind of a breeze for the most part so it's really been nice. And everything with the giant who makes the carvings and the carvings themselves is wonderful.

Can't say I'm a huge fan of Tomb of the Giants v2 though.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
It's also worth mentioning that having soft humanity increases certain stats, namely item discovery and resistance to curse. It caps at 10 though, even though the limit for liquid humanity is 99.

Twinguistics

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Take a break from trying the Gargoyles and go get that rite of kindling. Having 20 flasks can get you through that Gargoyle fight! Also, focus on the tail of the first one. You'll not only get an axe once it's cut, but it removes one of their attacks.
I managed to beat them by summoning that dude I rescued, it wasn't actually that tough in the end, he carried me massively. Did it in on my fourth go. On to the wood area now, found a secret bonfire which was nice.

Man this game is so good.

Deleted member 16025

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I managed to beat them by summoning that dude I rescued, it wasn't actually that tough in the end, he carried me massively. Did it in on my fourth go. On to the wood area now, found a secret bonfire which was nice.

Man this game is so good.
Good for you, dude. Make sure you got some kind of ranged weapon/spells in that forest. :)

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Slew a hydra today, then some weird porcupine-cats. Then found Sif and got massacred.

I think I'm supposed to hit up Blighttown before Sif though, right?

In the Darkroot areas you really can abuse the terrain. I found the border of the cats' territory and kept luring. Twice I managed to get them stuck in a gap between a tree and a small ledge and just hacked away until they were dead. The hydra was much the same, figuring out how to run at it through the water blasts and where to stand to get the best shot at the heads.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I caved and triple dipped since portable Dark Souls is too compelling. I need a suggestion for a fun new run. What's a really weird weapon nobody uses?

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
I caved and triple dipped since portable Dark Souls is too compelling. I need a suggestion for a fun new run. What's a really weird weapon nobody uses?
Whips, but they really suck.

Maybe the Gargoyle tail axe? Rarely see it.

Maybe one of those weird drops like the Titanite Catch Pole or the Four-Pronged Plow could be amusing, but you'd be relying on drops.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Whips, but they really suck.

Maybe the Gargoyle tail axe? Rarely see it.

Maybe one of those weird drops like the Titanite Catch Pole or the Four-Pronged Plow could be amusing, but you'd be relying on drops.
Thanks! I really wish whips were better. The plow and catch poles are good ideas. I was also thinking great scythe since I rarely see it but I see it more than the former two.

ZeroMaverick

Mar 5, 2018
I haven't been keeping up with much gaming news as of late. Have they fixed the audio compression? Or is that just a permanent thing?

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
When people say they get Rite of Kindling in the beginning, how do they get past the wheel skeletons? Just run past them?
There is a shortcut drop right near the start of that area that takes you to a ledge just over the Bonehweel Skeletons, there's an NPC summon there who can easily solo Pinwheel or take out the skellies for you even. Even without Leeroy, just drop down and run to Pinwheel's boss fog. Keep an ear open for a stray Bonewheel skellie who might be behind you and dodge it if needed.

iirc Pinwheel is 20k souls, very easy way to pay for the Crest of Artorias or Bellowing Dragon Ring right from the start of the game. Don't sit at the bonfire in the Catacombs and you be back at Firelink in 2 or 3 minutes.

I just killed Petrus. Is he necessary for anything big?

He gave me a coin and I accidentally hit him. He chased me and I ran. So I had to put him down. It was an accident.
If this happens again with an NPC, you don't have to kill them. You will soon come across an NPC who can be paid to absolve you of such 'sins' which will reset the NPC aggro. He's not a biggie though unless you're a cleric (using miracles and faith), it's a lesson all Souls players learn the hard way!

Last edited:

Deleted member 41271

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Pffft, the stray demon is the first boss that actually got me. Those explosions were silly, haha. Felt a bit Mulanaish, the hint to even get there though.

Bob Beat

Oct 25, 2017
If this happens again with an NPC, you don't have to kill them. You will soon come across an NPC who can be paid to absolve you of such 'sins' which will reset the NPC aggro. He's not a biggie though unless you're a cleric (using miracles and faith), it's a lesson all Souls players learn the hard way!

Glad I'm not alone.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
Lady what's her face and her companions must have a very small window for appearance. I was in firelink and they hasn't shown up yet. Then I go into the depths, I finish that area and come back, and Petrus is already freaking out about the disappearance of his friends who I haven't seen yet. I paid for the Lautrec tip because I've never seen the dialogue, then Petrus behaves strangely about it. Now I can't even get the 'talk' option for him, so i assume she's already dead and gone? I haven't gone down to look but I guess that'll be my next trip.

Didn't really want to go into tomb before the ability to warp (haven't even rang second bell yet) Wonder what triggered them so soon?

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
Ok I finally got the very large ember in New londo ruins now I'm not sure about what to do next.
I should maybe farm the skeletons cosplayers in New londo to get my weapon to +15 and then go to sen's fortress but this place gives me the creeps as it seems to be really tough.
Or i'll go in the catacomb first and get the rite if kindling...
Not sure yet.
Also I finally got the uchigatana and I'm torn between this one and the iaito. I like its zr thrust. So many questions

Last edited:

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Lady what's her face and her companions must have a very small window for appearance. I was in firelink and they hasn't shown up yet. Then I go into the depths, I finish that area and come back, and Petrus is already freaking out about the disappearance of his friends who I haven't seen yet. I paid for the Lautrec tip because I've never seen the dialogue, then Petrus behaves strangely about it. Now I can't even get the 'talk' option for him, so i assume she's already dead and gone? I haven't gone down to look but I guess that'll be my next trip.

Didn't really want to go into tomb before the ability to warp (haven't even rang second bell yet) Wonder what triggered them so soon?
iirc killing the Capra Demon is what triggers them to appear at Firelink, don't recall when they go down to TotG, but there's no rush to go down to there, she will be there until you go down there any time after that - like you say, easier to wait until you get the Lord Vessel unless you want her miracles early.

If you want to see Patches in the Catacombs, you have to go down there before Rhea leaves Firelink as I think that triggers him to go down to TotG along with them.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Ok I finally got the very large ember in New londo ruins now I'm not sure about what to do next.
I should maybe farm the skeletons cosplayers in New londo to get my weapon to +15 and then go to sen's fortress but this place gives me the creeps as it seems to be really tough.
Or i'll go in the catacomb first and get the rite if kindling...
Not sure yet.
Also I finally got the uchigatana and I'm torn between this one and the iaito. I like its zr thrust. So many questions

If you use the symbol of avarice (mimic chest helmet) or the Covetous Gold Serpent Ring while having 10 Humanity on your counter you can farm the chunks for your +15 Uchi in no time flat. You'll even get a slab if you're lucky. A +15 weapon with the right stats will absolutely melt everything in NG.

You haven't gotten through Sen's Fortress yet? The Darkwraiths are much harder than the enemies there. And if you get your weapon to +15... the rest of the game will be fun.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
The snake men don't seem to be this hard but what's tough in sen's fortress is the environment. A snake man ? OK, no problemo ! A snake on a tight platform with huge swinging meat grinders and an archer aiming at you ? OMG

Deleted member 33571

Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Alrighty, I've finished my first playthrough. About 44 hours, did most of the major things I could find and a little bit of PVP (Blades of the Darkmoon.....). I gave up on both Manus and Kalameet lol, but I'll probably try again with a different character at some point. I might do a NG+ run with this character until I hit a wall or get fatigued with the game, but gosh have I enjoyed it. The last area and fight were beautiful. I knew I'd like it going in, but I'm sure this is one of the best games I've played.
It's unbelievable how many fully-formed gameplay and narrative ideas it puts forward all at once.