• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
And I finally made it through sen's fortress and reached anor londo, yay !
Fortress'boss was a walk in the park compared to other monstruosities.
Now I just noticed I've got a weapon able to hurt ghost without having to use a curse item, so I'm gonna go farm some titanite in New londo ruins to get my Iaito at +15 and be ready for what awaits me.

Twinguistics

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm finding darkroot garden a bit annoying. I have to kill 3 bush things everytime to then meet an op knight that can just bind my arms and kill me in two shots. And there are 3 of them. I've ran past them to the butterfly thing but it looks like I need a bow and I can't use mine yet as I'm not strong enough.

What do I do now, grind so I can hold the bow? I'd be happy to kill that stupid Knight if he didn't have a cheap bind attack.

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Started NG+ and back at Anor Landon again and slayed S&O. Then proceeded to lose nearly 500k of Souls by playing whilst tired :D

Maculo

Oct 27, 2017
Madrid, Spain
I'm finding darkroot garden a bit annoying. I have to kill 3 bush things everytime to then meet an op knight that can just bind my arms and kill me in two shots. And there are 3 of them. I've ran past them to the butterfly thing but it looks like I need a bow and I can't use mine yet as I'm not strong enough.

What do I do now, grind so I can hold the bow? I'd be happy to kill that stupid Knight if he didn't have a cheap bind attack.
There is a hidden bonfire just before the emblem door. So at least you don't have to kill the 3 bushes

nekunando

Sep 6, 2018

This is my first ever time with a Dark Souls game so I probably don't have the best advice for you but I took care of that particular boss a good while ago.

I haven't used any ranged weapons so far and the way I dealt with it was to dodge all of its magic attacks and wait for it to flutter over to the edge of the bridge and slash it a few times with my sword.

It took a few attempts but hopefully this can help you :)

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France

For the butterfly, go there in human form and summon the witch npc, she'll destroy the boss, just avoid its attacks. I didn't hit the boss once lol

You should indeed level up dex to use the bow, it will be really useful.

After the door of artorias there is a zone with ennemies worth 2000 or 3000 souls, easy money.

Twinguistics

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
For the butterfly, go there in human form and summon the witch npc, she'll destroy the boss, just avoid its attacks. I didn't hit the boss once lol

You should indeed level up dex to use the bow, it will be really useful.

After the door of artorias there is a zone with ennemies worth 2000 or 3000 souls, easy money.
OK cool, I'm an idiot I forgot I could provably summon before a boss if I went human. That's what I did last time and owned. I still think I'm underleveled a bit for this area though.

Jan 25, 2018
Man, the world design in this game is amazing. I wouldn't mind if the Metroid Prime 4 developers took a good look at it for inspiration, although admittedly that's not a very original sentiment.

But the reason I'm here is to vent about my frustration with the boss enemy Ceaseless Discharge. Reading this thread, it's supposed to be a pushover, but it's giving me an insane amount of trouble. Every attack it has OHKOs me, and most of its attacks are too wide to reliably dodge while standing on the walkway. The collision detection is very unpredictable too: I've had a lot of occasions where its appendage hit the ground about 15 feet away from me and it still instantly killed me. I've even taken to recording the end of my battles to study whether the attacks actually made contact, but... they really don't!

I've tried to mix up my strategies by fighting it in the more open area, or from behind the rock, but with little success. As soon as I get slightly further away, it launches a red beam-like attack that hits through the rock as well. As far as I can tell, the beam is wider than the full extent of my dodge roll, so the only way to survive is by jumping perfectly perpendicular to the beam during an extremely narrow timeframe. If I don't manage that, the fight is immediately over.

I thought my weak armour may have been to blame, so I put on the stone armour. I wouldn't be able to dodge any attacks while rolling that way, but I hoped I would at least be able to absorb a single hit. No such luck. Was I supposed to be upgrading my vitality all this time? If so, my dexterity would be lower and the fight would last even longer!

I've become so desperate that I've tried to use the cheese strategy I found recommended in this thread and elsewhere, but it's not effective at all. You're supposed to be able to lure it close to the starting area so that it clips off the stage and dies, but it just doesn't follow me that far. As soon as it gets close enough to use the longer-ranged, beam-like attack, it just stops walking and starts spamming that from a distance. So... I'm done, I guess. I've tried 40 or so times, and I think that's enough.

Would this boss happen to be optional by any chance?

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
No it isn't. There is a way speedrunners used to use to get through the lava (which drains and allows progress when you kill him), but it's more exploiting geometry than anything.

There's two ways to kill the boss - head on or the second scripted death method, which is really what people mean when they say he's easy.

You grab the gold hemmed set from the altar which aggro's him, wait a beat for his lava splash as he awakes then run to the fog gate, he slams down his fist and takes half a dozen hits, even with your bare fist, to then fall to his death. If you choose to fight him head on or get killed after taking the armour set, you can try again, you have to run to the altar and get his AI to kick in so he follows you to the fog gate - I used to find this troublesome and unreliable if you didn't get it first time, but first time, his AI will follow you to the fog gate every time unless you mess it up yourself.

Others cheese him by using the little path around the back, bait his attack as you're in his line of sight, move out of the way and hit his tentacle a few times until he removes it, rinse and repeat.

You can also face him out in the open by baiting the tentacle slam attack and just attacking it, rinse and repeat. Like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjKWmnmppeQ&t=201m25s

Last edited:

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
I'm currently using a "Ninja" build with katana and the shadow armor set.
Should I begin to upgrade this armor or should I wait for a "better" set for this build ?

beelzebozo

Oct 26, 2017
i'm trudging through new londo. this is actually my first time beating this game (presuming i'll beat it this time). it's been a real pleasure, and being able to take my switch to work and play in my down time has helped make it happen.

let's just hear it for the dragon greatsword.

Twinguistics

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok so I'm not sure I'm enjoying this game anymore. All sense of progression has halted at darkroot garden. I feel under powered and have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing next. I either get wrecked by the stupid stone knights, or I try the butterfly thing and get hit by what seems like a homing laser. Do I grind souls? Do I try another area? I have no idea, all I know is that I'm wasting what little gaming time I have floundering and getting no where.

Plainsong

Oct 28, 2017
United Kingdom
If you're getting frustrated with directions just Google dark souls areas in order. You can jumble them up a bit but it will give you pointers. Stone knights are tough at first. Try a halberd if you're struggling. The extra range might help you.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
Maybe it's just me, but I finally found the click with Dark Souls. I've always had this love/hate thing with the Souls games. It took me ages to actually get into Demon's Souls and to this day I still have not completed that game. (Kind of forgot where I left off. I think I had to face that big boss thats kind of quick in some ruins.)

I actually own the original, or well the Prepared to Die Edition on PC, but I ragequitted after my umpteenth defeat at the hands of the Capra Demon.

But this time around, I finally found my footing. There are still some things that make me somewhat pissed off, like the Capra Demon, which is possibly the worst boss fight in the game in terms of camera control and cramped design, but after defeating him things really turned around. There are still "hard parts" but when you fail those its quite fair at times. I was just not up to snuff. There are some cheap moments (Sen's Fortress, yikes) but overall this time around Dark Souls feels more... fun.

I completed Sen's Fortress today. Killing the fire throwing demon was cool and this part of the Fortress was easy. The Iron Golem did kill me three times (man's those looong falls from the tower were painful to watch) but after beating him I traveled to Anor Londo. Fell to my death, feels bad. Stupid Painted Ninja's

Ok so I'm not sure I'm enjoying this game anymore. All sense of progression has halted at darkroot garden. I feel under powered and have no idea what I'm supposed to be doing next. I either get wrecked by the stupid stone knights, or I try the butterfly thing and get hit by what seems like a homing laser. Do I grind souls? Do I try another area? I have no idea, all I know is that I'm wasting what little gaming time I have floundering and getting no where.

Try going past the stone knights as far as possible and they won't notice you.
Have you found the bonfire before that large area where they are?
Turn into a human at the bonfire, run past all of these knights and go into that destroyed tower, under the stairs you can call a witch (it only works if you are human), go up the stairs to the butterfly and that witch will help you significantly.
Go further up the tower, grab everything, level up and leave the area.
To get the Wolf Ring would be helpful there, though.

safety_lite

Jan 16, 2018
Chicago, IL
I picked this up last Sunday and have been playing throughout the week; I'm currently at Sen's Fortress.
Made my way through the entire fortress and up to the Iron Golem on the roof without coming across a Bon Fire. I was immediately killed in the first attack. LOL I love all the traps and how you're able to use them against enemies and the small puzzle with the rolling boulder redirections. This felt like some kind of progression of a Zelda dungeon!

I'm enamored with this experience so far. It's scratched that itch of exploration and discovery that I've had since getting the Switch and completing BOTW. I'm loving so many things about this game – the character and world design is so creative and breaks so many cliche's of high-fantasy (which makes first encounters unpredictable and exciting), the consistent and overlapping geography of each area lends a sense of realism and understanding to the world, the gorgeous boss music elevates each encounter, the rewarding difficulty and clever online integrations give a sense of comradery amidst the struggle
Apart from the summoning, invasion and message systems, finding out that the cursed statues and the bells being rung are other players from their own games was so cool!

I've been avoiding spoilers/guides as much as I can, but listening to respective episodes of a podcast called Bonfireside Chat after completing each section to see if I missed anything interesting in terms of lore or locations/items—it's been really great!

I don't think I've been this engrossed in a game's world since the first time I played Ocarina of Time. The Switch is the only console I have, and I'm so glad I finally get to play this! \lTl/

Last edited:

Twinguistics

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Try going past the stone knights as far as possible and they won't notice you.
Have you found the bonfire before that large area where they are?
Turn into a human at the bonfire, run past all of these knights and go into that destroyed tower, under the stairs you can call a witch (it only works if you are human), go up the stairs to the butterfly and that witch will help you significantly.
Go further up the tower, grab everything, level up and leave the area.
To get the Wolf Ring would be helpful there, though.
OK cool, I had thought of just running past everything and actually did that twice to get to the butterfly. It just seems too soon to be on the next boss as I only just beat the gargoyles and so I felt that I should be doing something other than running past things. Yeah I got that bonfire and the wolf ring so that's cool, guess I'll just rush to this boss then.

I've only got three humanity left, if I don't beat her in three goes (or even die getting to her!) then I'm screwed and have no idea what to do. Farming rats sounds like it sucks.

I'm using an Axe leveled up to plus 3,think it's 110 strength or whatever (yet another that isn't explained - weapon stats, what are all those numbers? The game doesn't say)

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
OK cool, I had thought of just running past everything and actually did that twice to get to the butterfly. It just seems too soon to be on the next boss as I only just beat the gargoyles and so I felt that I should be doing something other than running past things. Yeah I got that bonfire and the wolf ring so that's cool, guess I'll just rush to this boss then.

I've only got three humanity left, if I don't beat her in three goes (or even die getting to her!) then I'm screwed and have no idea what to do. Farming rats sounds like it sucks.

I'm using an Axe leveled up to plus 3,think it's 110 strength or whatever (yet another that isn't explained - weapon stats, what are all those numbers? The game doesn't say)

The butterfly is optional so you can leave it for later of you don't feel like fighting it right now. Maybe you can explore the lower undead burg.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Weapon upgrade level is paramount, even more important than your character level. Upgrade that weapon to +5 for starters.

Weapon damage works like this - It has a base damage amount which increases as you upgrade the weapon. Then you get extra bonus damage from your stats. Leveling up your character will increase this bonus damage amount, so long as you are leveling up the corresponding stats to which the weapon you are using gains bonus damage from.
This bonus damage scales on a letter grading S being best then A to E, E being worst. The letter grading does increase as you upgrade the weapon, so don't worry about a C so much, but an E is always going to kind of suck comparatively.

Example below:

foYeP.jpg

So this weapon is a fully upgraded (15+) Bastard Sword (can buy it from Andre iirc).
It does 262 [GREEN box above] Physical Damage and scales a C with Strength and a C with Dexterity [RED] (commonly referred to as a quality weapon, a phrase borrowed from Demon's Souls). The bonus damage this person gets when using this weapon is an additional 273 [YELLOW] damage. So they have obviously been leveling up their STR and DEX to have that amount of bonus damage. In total that's 536 physical damage [BLUE].

The other numbers Magic, Fire, Lightning are all for weapons upgraded along those upgrade paths - as you progress through the game there are various embers that let you upgrade your weapon in different ways. The damage done when upgraded this way is split between physical damage and the particular element. So when you upgrade say a weapon to become a fire weapon, it might do 200 physical damage normally, but upgraded to a fire weapon it might do 100 phys and 100 fire - same total BUT..... Cool if your enemy is weak to fire, sucks if it's resistant because you might only be doing say 100 damage instead of a full 200, which depends on the individual enemies resistance stats to that particular damage type. For example the boss Quelaag is 100% resistant to fire, so with a fire weapon you would only be doing the 100 phys damage, all your 100 fire damage would be wasted.
Elemental upgrades (Fire, Lightning) REMOVES stat scaling, so that C/C above will be removed and there will be no bonus damage regardless of your stats.
Magic (Magic, Divine etc) weapons change to include scaling from the Intelligence or Faith stats respectively, and this is for sorcery or miracle users leveling up INT or FTH and can be ignored if you're not using magic.

Critical is the extra damage you do when doing a critical attack (riposte or backstab)

ParamBonus - The letter grading and which stat the weapon receives bonus damage from. Left to Right: Strength, Dexterity, Intelligence, Faith.

Aux Effects - Bleed, Poison, Divine, Occult. Some weapons cause bleed or poison to build up, some enemies are particularly weak to occult or divine weapons.

[Middle column] DmgReduction% - This is the defense stats when the weapon is two-handed and used to BLOCK attacks. In the above, the Bastard Sword absorbs 60% of physical damage when used to block an attack, so not as good as a shield, but better than nothing. Magic 10%, Fire 40% and so on.
This is the column you want to especially look at when looking at a shield's stats.

Stability - is the rating of how much stamina is lost when blocking an attack. The higher this number the better because high stability = less stamina lost from blocking. When you are out of stamina you can't roll, run or swing your weapon and if you block an attack and it reduces more stamina than you have left, you become guard broken and temporarily stunned, not good.

ReqParam - Stats required to use the weapon. Bastard Sword is 16 STR, 10 DEX. If you two-hand weapons, they require less STR, two-handed swings take more stamina but do more damage.

Durability - using the weapon very slowly lowers this, repair at a blacksmith or buy the repair box to repair at any bonfire, it costs a few souls to repair.

Weight
- Your weapons and armour all have weight which effects your movement speed with tiers at below 25% maximum equipment load (fastest run and roll), up to 50% (mid), up to 100% (slow or 'fat' roll) and over 100% you can't run or roll. Leveling up Endurance increases your total equipment load, as do a couple of rings and a headpiece found in the game when you wear them.

Right-hand column - Can be switched between your stats or the totals shown above.

Last edited:

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
Ok I've got the snake ring that buff the loot rate. I'm in human form and have got 10 soft humanity.
I'm going to kill all these fu***ng darkwairths or whatever in New londo until I get a titanite tablet (the thing needed for the final weapon upgrade).
Let's see how this will turn out.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Ok I've got the snake ring that buff the loot rate. I'm in human form and have got 10 soft humanity.
I'm going to kill all these fu***ng darkwairths or whatever in New londo until I get a titanite tablet (the thing needed for the final weapon upgrade).
The drop rate is SUPER low, it could take a couple of hours (or 5 mins). Have you got the ones already in the game as loot?

There are two guaranteed titanite slabs in the game (one late game, one any time) with a third part of an NPC questline (also relatively late game), also another enemy elsewhere has a decent chance to drop them (and in the remaster I've had 100% success rate on every single playthrough to get at least one drop from them).

- Back at the Asylum where you start the game, the Stray Demon drops one. Get back there by hopping from the Firelink/Parish elevator on to the butrus and up the steps to the Crow's nest.
In Blighttown where the Plank Shield is found, there is a double illusory wall that leads to 2 hidden areas. The Great Hollow has 10 crystal lizards throughout it than have a chance of dropping slabs and like I said above, I've had 100% success rate of getting at least one if not two on every single playthrough I've done on the remaster with 10 humanity + gold serpent ring.
Spoilers on the other two slabs: http://darksouls.wikidot.com/titanite-slab

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
The drop rate is SUPER low, it could take a couple of hours (or 5 mins). Have you got the ones already in the game as loot?

There are two guaranteed titanite slabs in the game (one late game, one any time) with a third part of an NPC questline (also relatively late game), also another enemy elsewhere has a decent chance to drop them (and in the remaster I've had 100% success rate on every single playthrough to get at least one drop from them).

- Back at the Asylum where you start the game, the Stray Demon drops one. Get back there by hopping from the Firelink/Parish elevator on to the butrus and up the steps to the Crow's nest.
In Blighttown where the Plank Shield is found, there is a double illusory wall that leads to 2 hidden areas. The Great Hollow has 10 crystal lizards throughout it than have a chance of dropping slabs and like I said above, I've had 100% success rate of getting at least one if not two on every single playthrough I've done on the remaster with 10 humanity + gold serpent ring.
Spoilers on the other two slabs: http://darksouls.wikidot.com/titanite-slab

Mmmm, this could also allow me to grab some shiny titanite to upgrade my armor.

Yeah, I'll probably go there, thanks for the tip !

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty

It might be while, but it'll drop. I got three slabs from them in my last playthrough. You'll also get a shitton of chunks.

Notice that being human has no impact on item discovery, only having the soft humanity (item discovery caps at 410 IIRC).

Killing the Stray Demon like Red Liquorice says is the best way of getting an early slab.

Twinguistics

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The butterfly is optional so you can leave it for later of you don't feel like fighting it right now. Maybe you can explore the lower undead burg.
I summoned the witch and did it easily. Summons kinda seen like easy mode, not sure I fully understand them. What's the point and who even are these people? The game doesn't really tell you anything about them.

Weapon upgrade level is paramount, even more important than your character level. Upgrade that weapon to +5 for starters.

Weapon damage works like this - It has a base damage amount which increases as you upgrade the weapon. Then you get extra bonus damage from your stats. Leveling up your character will increase this bonus damage amount, so long as you are leveling up the corresponding stats to which the weapon you are using gains bonus damage from.
This bonus damage scales on a letter grading S being best then A to E, E being worst. The letter grading does increase as you upgrade the weapon, so don't worry about a C so much, but an E is always going to kind of suck comparatively.

Example below:

So this weapon is a fully upgraded (15+) Bastard Sword (can buy it from Andre iirc).
It does 262 [GREEN box above] Physical Damage and scales a C with Strength and a C with Dexterity [RED] (commonly referred to as a quality weapon, a phrase borrowed from Demon's Souls). The bonus damage this person gets when using this weapon is an additional 273 [YELLOW] damage. So they have obviously been leveling up their STR and DEX to have that amount of bonus damage. In total that's 536 physical damage [BLUE].

The other numbers Magic, Fire, Lightning are all for weapons upgraded along those upgrade paths - as you progress through the game there are various embers that let you upgrade your weapon in different ways. The damage done when upgraded this way is split between physical damage and the particular element. So when you upgrade say a weapon to become a fire weapon, it might do 200 physical damage normally, but upgraded to a fire weapon it might do 100 phys and 100 fire - same total BUT..... Cool if your enemy is weak to fire, sucks if it's resistant because you might only be doing say 100 damage instead of a full 200, which depends on the individual enemies resistance stats to that particular damage type. For example the boss Quelaag is 100% resistant to fire, so with a fire weapon you would only be doing the 100 phys damage, all your 100 fire damage would be wasted.
Elemental upgrades (Fire, Lightning) REMOVES stat scaling, so that C/C above will be removed and there will be no bonus damage regardless of your stats.
Magic (Magic, Divine etc) weapons change to include scaling from the Intelligence or Faith stats respectively, and this is for sorcery or miracle users leveling up INT or FTH and can be ignored if you're not using magic.

Critical is the extra damage you do when doing a critical attack (riposte or backstab)

ParamBonus - The letter grading and which stat the weapon receives bonus damage from. Left to Right: Strength, Dexterity, Intelligence, Faith.

Aux Effects - Bleed, Poison, Divine, Occult. Some weapons cause bleed or poison to build up, some enemies are particularly weak to occult or divine weapons.

[Middle column] DmgReduction% - This is the defense stats when the weapon is two-handed and used to BLOCK attacks. In the above, the Bastard Sword absorbs 60% of physical damage when used to block an attack, so not as good as a shield, but better than nothing. Magic 10%, Fire 40% and so on.
This is the column you want to especially look at when looking at a shield's stats.

Stability - is the rating of how much stamina is lost when blocking an attack. The higher this number the better because high stability = less stamina lost from blocking. When you are out of stamina you can't roll, run or swing your weapon and if you block an attack and it reduces more stamina than you have left, you become guard broken and temporarily stunned, not good.

ReqParam - Stats required to use the weapon. Bastard Sword is 16 STR, 10 DEX. If you two-hand weapons, they require less STR, two-handed swings take more stamina but do more damage.

Durability - using the weapon very slowly lowers this, repair at a blacksmith or buy the repair box to repair at any bonfire, it costs a few souls to repair.

Weight
- Your weapons and armour all have weight which effects your movement speed with tiers at below 25% maximum equipment load (fastest run and roll), up to 50% (mid), up to 100% (slow or 'fat' roll) and over 100% you can't run or roll. Leveling up Endurance increases your total equipment load, as do a couple of rings and a headpiece found in the game when you wear them.

Right-hand column - Can be switched between your stats or the totals shown above.

Wow thanks! That's really helpful and explains a lot. I'll probably use this post as a reference point quite a lot.

Off to use my new key on the undead basement door I don't even know where undead burg is, think I've been there but forgot.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
I summoned the witch and did it easily. Summons kinda seen like easy mode, not sure I fully understand them. What's the point and who even are these people? The game doesn't really tell you anything about them.

I've always gotten the impression than NPC summons are a way of incorporating some of the multi-player concepts into the game even when playing offline. And like you said, they are there to make the game easier.

They all have little backstories that you can fill out by reading their gear descriptions.

Last edited:

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Blighttown was *savage* when I first arrived, but after close to an hour in that first run with the three poison-club dudes and the toxic sniper I managed to break through and get to the bonfire. The rest is much easier to navigate, though I'm not sure where I'm supposed to be going. I found a fog to traverse and I found a weird pustule-looking thing with claws sticking out of the wall, but it's only defending a corpse to plunder. Made it down to the bottom but I feel like you need poison immunity to navigate down there.

Nice thing is I finally feel like I'm in a good place for grinding for the first time in a while. Especially the club dudes make for good fodder.

Gave up on Sif for the moment. Like Stray Demon, I can see how you do it but my damage output isn't there to make it convenient.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
Surprised how easily I'm just strolling through the game. Maybe it's because I've played two more souls games since my last time with dark souls, or maybe the black knight sword is just that good. Just walking through everything. About to enter Sen's.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Surprised how easily I'm just strolling through the game. Maybe it's because I've played two more souls games since my last time with dark souls, or maybe the black knight sword is just that good. Just walking through everything. About to enter Sen's.

I firmly believe that DS1 is the easiest of the games. So if you combine that with the fact that you got gud, you're bound to just run over this game.

And the BK Sword helps too!

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2018
No it isn't. There is a way speedrunners used to use to get through the lava (which drains and allows progress when you kill him), but it's more exploiting geometry than anything.

There's two ways to kill the boss - head on or the second scripted death method, which is really what people mean when they say he's easy.

You grab the gold hemmed set from the altar which aggro's him, wait a beat for his lava splash as he awakes then run to the fog gate, he slams down his fist and takes half a dozen hits, even with your bare fist, to then fall to his death. If you choose to fight him head on or get killed after taking the armour set, you can try again, you have to run to the altar and get his AI to kick in so he follows you to the fog gate - I used to find this troublesome and unreliable if you didn't get it first time, but first time, his AI will follow you to the fog gate every time unless you mess it up yourself.

Others cheese him by using the little path around the back, bait his attack as you're in his line of sight, move out of the way and hit his tentacle a few times until he removes it, rinse and repeat.

You can also face him out in the open by baiting the tentacle slam attack and just attacking it, rinse and repeat. Like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjKWmnmppeQ&t=201m25s

Thanks for the reply! I managed to beat him eventually, using the easy method. I was under the impression earlier that it was cheese or a bug or something, but it's clearly scripted, yeah. Still took me about 60 tries in the end, which I think makes the boss a bit too annoying even by Dark Souls standards. Ah well, it's over with at least.

I explored some more of the Demon Ruins hoping to find a shortcut somewhere. Not looking forward to backtracking to Blighttown if there are none, LOL.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
So about 30 mins playing after the Butterfly I'm at the capra demon, seems too soon to be on the next boss?

That's the correct route.
The butterfly is optional, so technically you could've gone straight from the Gargoyles to the Capra Demon.

Unless you're really struggling with an area, there aren't many lulls in the action when it comes to bosses.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
Man, the world design in this game is amazing. I wouldn't mind if the Metroid Prime 4 developers took a good look at it for inspiration, although admittedly that's not a very original sentiment.

But the reason I'm here is to vent about my frustration with the boss enemy Ceaseless Discharge. Reading this thread, it's supposed to be a pushover, but it's giving me an insane amount of trouble. Every attack it has OHKOs me, and most of its attacks are too wide to reliably dodge while standing on the walkway. The collision detection is very unpredictable too: I've had a lot of occasions where its appendage hit the ground about 15 feet away from me and it still instantly killed me. I've even taken to recording the end of my battles to study whether the attacks actually made contact, but... they really don't!

I've tried to mix up my strategies by fighting it in the more open area, or from behind the rock, but with little success. As soon as I get slightly further away, it launches a red beam-like attack that hits through the rock as well. As far as I can tell, the beam is wider than the full extent of my dodge roll, so the only way to survive is by jumping perfectly perpendicular to the beam during an extremely narrow timeframe. If I don't manage that, the fight is immediately over.

I thought my weak armour may have been to blame, so I put on the stone armour. I wouldn't be able to dodge any attacks while rolling that way, but I hoped I would at least be able to absorb a single hit. No such luck. Was I supposed to be upgrading my vitality all this time? If so, my dexterity would be lower and the fight would last even longer!

I've become so desperate that I've tried to use the cheese strategy I found recommended in this thread and elsewhere, but it's not effective at all. You're supposed to be able to lure it close to the starting area so that it clips off the stage and dies, but it just doesn't follow me that far. As soon as it gets close enough to use the longer-ranged, beam-like attack, it just stops walking and starts spamming that from a distance. So... I'm done, I guess. I've tried 40 or so times, and I think that's enough.

If you already picked up the Gold Hemmed Set and died, then I don't think you can beat him the easy way as he will not follow you all the way to the door anymore.

The other easy way to beat him is to hide at the corner inside that little pathway in the middle and step out from behind the corner into his view until he starts to slam his arm. Just run out of the way and then smack his arm. It may clip a bit through the corner of the wall but you can still hit it and do damage. Just keep baiting his arm attack over and over. He shouldn't do any other attack except that one if you are in the very back corner of that narrow pathway

If you don't understand my explanation I could make a video later showing you how to do it.

mhayes86

Oct 27, 2017
Maryland

And the exploit from the original still works where you can aggro them, then run to the cliff edge behind the stairs while they all run over your head and drop to their deaths.

If you already picked up the Gold Hemmed Set and died, then I don't think you can beat him the easy way as he will not follow you all the way to the door anymore.

You can, actually. My friend and I did it recently. You just have to run all the way back to the altar where you picked up the gold hemmed set, wait for CD to get closer, and then run all the way back to the fog gate. Have the Chloranthy Ring and Grass Crest Shield (or any two items you have that speed up stamina regain), and book it.

Twinguistics

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's the correct route.
The butterfly is optional, so technically you could've gone straight from the Gargoyles to the Capra Demon.

Unless you're really struggling with an area, there aren't many lulls in the action when it comes to bosses.
It's ok, I've found another area I've not been so will potter around a bit first. Capra looks tough!

Spikematic

Oct 28, 2017
What is the consensus on the Switch version from the folks here? Looks/plays decent enough to warrant a purchase?

HaNotsri

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So about 30 mins playing after the Butterfly I'm at the capra demon, seems too soon to be on the next boss?
It's a boss fighting game. If you continue down from Capra there's a fairly large area before the next boss and then there's a real adventure...
Probably some areas with 3-4 bosses within minutes without speedrunning if you beat them first try.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
What is the consensus on the Switch version from the folks here? Looks/plays decent enough to warrant a purchase?

The only real issue seems to be the compressed audio. It does not bother me this much though.
Game is stable 30 fps, (maybe some frame pacing issues sometimes, nothing really annoying), online is active.

It's my first dark souls experience and it's realy awesome, yesterday I tackled Sen's fortress while commuting lol, and most veterans here seem to have a good time.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jesus Christ.

So I got to Blighttown, as in, beat the Gaping Dragon, went through the bottom of the depths, fought/ran past the big dark dudes and the zombies etc., and I'm at the bonfire on a big stone ledge....

..and I'm cursed.

So now, not only am I finding it impossible to move forward (I basically take two hits and I'm dead), but even trying to get back out the way I came is proving itself to be incredibly difficult. I'm wondering if I'm just fucked.

I'm also wondering if I've like, forgotten to do something? I don't do a whole lot of damage to the quick little zombie guys down here, so anytime there's more than one of them I'm pretty much pooched. I'm just rocking a longsword I upgraded twice (does like 98 damage or something) and the bell gargoyle axe thing, also standard knight armor.

Any advice? :P

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Jesus Christ.

So I got to Blighttown, as in, beat the Gaping Dragon, went through the bottom of the depths, fought/ran past the big dark dudes and the zombies etc., and I'm at the bonfire on a big stone ledge....

..and I'm cursed.

So now, not only am I finding it impossible to move forward (I basically take two hits and I'm dead), but even trying to get back out the way I came is proving itself to be incredibly difficult. I'm wondering if I'm just fucked.

I'm also wondering if I've like, forgotten to do something? I don't do a whole lot of damage to the quick little zombie guys down here, so anytime there's more than one of them I'm pretty much pooched. I'm just rocking a longsword I upgraded twice (does like 98 damage or something) and the bell gargoyle axe thing, also standard knight armor.

Any advice? :P

You have to get out of Blighttown ASAP and remove that curse. You don't want to go out the way you came in; there's a much faster way out (assuming you're at the Bonfire at the bottom of Blightwon, where the poisonous mire is), through the wooden circle wheel elevator thingies, which will take you to the exit via the valley of the drakes. From there you should go either to the Church where you rang the first bell, and buy a Purging stone from Oswald there, or find the Undead mosslady near the Depths who will also sell you the stones.

Also, at this point you want your main weapon (in this case, your longsword) to be upgraded to +5. Have you been upgrading your Strength and Dexterity stats? They are both essential to increase your damage along with the weapon upgrades?

And don't give up. Don't you dare go hollow.

Deleted member 17207

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You have to get out of Blighttown ASAP and remove that curse. You don't want to go out the way you came in; there's a much faster way out (assuming you're at the Bonfire at the bottom of Blightwon, where the poisonous mire is), through the wooden circle wheel elevator thingies, which will take you to the exit via the valley of the drakes. From there you should go either to the Church where you rang the first bell, and buy a Purging stone from Oswald there, or find the Undead mosslady near the Depths who will also sell you the stones.

Also, at this point you want your main weapon (in this case, your longsword) to be upgraded to +5. Have you been upgrading your Strength and Dexterity stats? They are both essential to increase your damage along with the weapon upgrades?

And don't give up. Don't you dare go hollow.
Nah, I'm at this bonfire:
Blighttown_2.jpg

And I've been switching between strength, dexterity and vitality (my health is nowhere near the dude's in this picture though lol - nor does my armour look nearly as cool)

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Nah, I'm at this bonfire:
Blighttown_2.jpg

And I've been switching between strength, dexterity and vitality (my health is nowhere near the dude's in this picture though lol - nor does my armour look nearly as cool)

I see. I think it'd actually be easier to keep pushing forward until you reach the bonfire at the bottom, since otherwise you'll have to go back through the Depths to reach FIrelink. You can climb out of the swamp through the elevators that lead to the Valle of the Drakes. Don't be afraid to make suicide runs if you're finding enemies difficult. Eventually you'll make it.

Deleted member 17207

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I see. I think it'd actually be easier to keep pushing forward until you reach the bonfire at the bottom, since otherwise you'll have to go back through the Depths to reach FIrelink. You can climb out of the swamp through the elevators that lead to the Valle of the Drakes. Don't be afraid to make suicide runs if you're finding enemies difficult. Eventually you'll make it.
Haha, that's all I've been trying to do :P

I'll keep on trucking. The most difficult part is trying to navigate the place with all these guys at my heels. I came across a fogged door inside a sort of greenish cave, but I'm assuming I shouldn't even bother while I'm cursed with that, either.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Haha, that's all I've been trying to do :P

I'll keep on trucking. The most difficult part is trying to navigate the place with all these guys at my heels. I came across a fogged door inside a sort of greenish cave, but I'm assuming I shouldn't even bother while I'm cursed with that, either.

No, go ahead. That's the way forward. The Bonfire at the bottom is not much farther away. Not all fog doors lead to bosses.