• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Thought I would create an OT since discussion and community for this game is all over the place and no one has volunteered yet.

I'm not fan of advertorial style OTs so I'll keep it simple.

A1qvBZYPc2L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Price: 39.99 USD
Release Data: 10/19

The Solaire Amiibo is a GameStop exclusive in the US and its only in game use is to activate the Praise The Sun gesture.

MC rating: 84

I can add more info if people want to provide assets or structure. I also don't have international dates or pricing. I can add that too.

----
SoulsEra Discord community:
Hidden content
You need to reply to this thread in order to see this content.

Last edited by a moderator:

vaderise

Oct 30, 2017
Antalya / Turkey
I've been playing this version since the day it came out. Sound quality aside this is a very good port of an excellent game. Portable Souls is as good as you can imagine. I hope they can eventually bring second game to Switch too.

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
I've played DS1 up to Anor Londo before, but this is gonna be my first complete run. I'm really loving this version. About to face the gaping dragon and I'm already thinking about other character builds I want to do. I think that's gonna be the real strength of this version is it'll get me to more easily easily replay the game when I'm travelling and stuff. Fingers crossed for DS2 to make it's way over as well.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
I've been playing this version since the day it came out. Sound quality aside this is a very good port of an excellent game. Portable Souls is as good as you can imagine. I hope they can eventually bring second game to Switch too.
Hire Panic Button to bring the third game too.

HighFive

Oct 25, 2017
Praise the sun! Downloading it now. :). Since i played it tons of time already, i think im going to start with a naked dude, and see where it goes, and full pvp to rage and throw my switch into the wall! :)

Plum

May 31, 2018
The Black Ops 4 OT title would be a lot more fitting with this OT lol

-shadow-

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So do we know yet what the day one patch does? If the audio quality gets a boost I might get it.

traillaitor

Jun 10, 2018
First time playing, although I've watched the Prepare to Try YouTube series (highly highly recommend) and I'm loving (hating) it.

Currently at the Capra Demon, I know the strategy I just can't get through the damn door way to start it!

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
Really loving this version. Handheld Dark Souls has been dream of mine for a long time. I got the PS4 version of the Remaster earlier this year and here I'm sucked right into Lodran again.

One gripe, the default camera sensitivity seems of. Anyone have decent settings? This is handheld mode.

Lee Chaolan

Oct 25, 2017
How long has the Amiibo been sold out? Usual Nintendo under making that stuff? So only option is like eBay? lol

Deleted member 11637

Oct 27, 2017
Very close to picking this up. I got sucked back into Zelda Master Mode recently, and it's getting me back in the git gud spirit.

MattyG

Oct 25, 2017
First time playing, although I've watched the Prepare to Try YouTube series (highly highly recommend) and I'm loving (hating) it.

Currently at the Capra Demon, I know the strategy I just can't get through the damn door way to start it!
That area was super frustrating, even after I unlocked the shortcut to Firelink. If I tried to just run through, the dogs would pin me in a corner, but dealing with them every time I had to get through was a pain. Then once I got in the boss room, I couldn't deal with the dogs fast enough. Eventually just had to go up the stairs and hope they got stuck.

Jul 20, 2018
I'm enjoying it a lot. Just hope they fix the sound.

Still waiting for my Solaire amiibo. Was originally set to arrive on the 24th, then it got changed to yesterday but didn't show up.

henlo_birb

Dec 15, 2017
Been having a lot of fun playing again already. Got my SL1 to O&S day one. Also, this was the first time I beat O&S on the first try without summoning and it was on my SL1! Pretty proud. I have two other characters I'm working on too and will probably start another soon. It's been so fun to see so many people playing this game again, it reminds me of when I first started playing and you could find people playing in every corner of the map.

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Just got the first bell rung in the Parish. As I said in the other thread, I am loving being back in this world again. I love Dark Souls so very much, and it being portable suits me perfectly, it's like the best school reunion ever :D Wife can watch TV, I sit on the sofa playing 'Souls, so good!

I am currently trying to decide whether I should kill asshole by the fire keeper in Fire Link, or wait til.. y'know, later. I am not sure I need his gear for this character (my first play through this time will be strength so great swords etc).

I am already thinking ahead of character builds 2 and 3! So happy right now to be playing this game again :)

OP
OP
entremet

entremet

Oct 26, 2017
30 tries or so for the capra demon Jesus
Kill the dogs first. Run up the stairs to bait them. Rinse, Repeat.

Capra itself not hard. Its moves are very easily telegraphed and avoided.

It's the damn set up--close quarters, two annoying dogs, and horrible ambush style entrance.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
How it runs compared to Demon's Souls? Same? Better? If it's the latter, then this port will be very good.

SmittyWerbenManJensen

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Floater’s Cemetery
Seeing this game (one of the GOATS, and one of my top 10 favorite games ever) in a portable, handheld form is seriously blowing my mind. Anyway, issues aside, I am loving this port. I think it looks really great.

Also, this game is doing extremely well on the eShop, which makes me very happy, considering the devs said these games would never come to Ninendo systems years ago.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Good to finally see an OT.

I'm doing a great scythe run, it was the first thing I got after Firelink. I'm having way more trouble than I thought since it has such a different move set than what I'm used to but it's fun doing something different.

Anor Londo archers were a nightmare as usual.

traillaitor

Jun 10, 2018
That area was super frustrating, even after I unlocked the shortcut to Firelink. If I tried to just run through, the dogs would pin me in a corner, but dealing with them every time I had to get through was a pain. Then once I got in the boss room, I couldn't deal with the dogs fast enough. Eventually just had to go up the stairs and hope they got stuck.

I'm okay getting through the area before it (although it can be tedious having to fight/run my way through each time) but the second I get in he's on me, staggering me and then I'm ripped apart by the dogs before I even make the stairs. May run over to and get that ring that prevents stagger if I can't do it soon.

Jonneh

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
Ah, awesome to see an OT! I wanted to talk about the game a few days ago but people were only using the audio thread. I've been having such a great time with this port and am currently on NG+2. I don't think I've properly played the original in around two years but I still remember every single aspect as if I played it a month ago. It's almost like a comfort food game.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, awesome to see an OT! I wanted to talk about the game a few days ago but people were only using the audio thread. I've been having such a great time with this port and am currently on NG+2. I don't think I've properly played the original in around two years but I still remember every single aspect as if I played it a month ago. It's almost like a comfort food game.

It's the modern RE4 to me. Gotta replay it at least once a year.

JohnnyMoses

Oct 27, 2017
So far I've finished...

Dark Souls 2 on PC
Demon's Souls on PS3
Bloodborne on PS4

And half way through Dark Souls 3 on Xbox.

It is my destiny that I complete Dark Souls on the Switch.

low-G

Oct 25, 2017
So far I've finished...

Dark Souls 2 on PC
Demon's Souls on PS3
Bloodborne on PS4

And half way through Dark Souls 3 on Xbox.

It is my destiny that I complete Dark Souls on the Switch.

Similar situation, except I did DS2 on PS3 as well. I've played a lot of DS1 on PS3 & PC but kept making things harder on myself with some bad choices and critical mistakes...

Let's finally finish this game!

Horror

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Bought, played, and beat Dark Souls OG (PS3) a few months ago, otherwise I'd be all over this.

B00T

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Can you co-op over local wi-fi or do you need to be connected over the network as you normally would? Will jump in eventually, portable Dark Souls is just too good to pass up.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
How it runs compared to Demon's Souls? Same? Better? If it's the latter, then this port will be very good.

Pretty much a locked 30fps outside of some very specific situations (the Sif boss fight for example). It's 720p portable and dynamic 900p / 1080p docked.

Can you co-op over local wi-fi or do you need to be connected over the network as you normally would? Will jump in eventually, portable Dark Souls is just too good to pass up.

Online only.

Hopefully more people can get to experience this incredible game for the first time.

dat boi

Oct 28, 2017
Oh man the audio issues are worse than I anticipated.

Everything sounds glaringly muddled. Thought my soundbar shut off or something.

A/B confirm switching is also making me crazy.

B00T

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh man the audio issues are worse than I anticipated.

Everything sounds glaringly muddled. Thought my soundbar shut off or something.

A/B confirm switching is also making me crazy.
Yeah, noticed the sound first thing watching my brother play last night. Hope they fix that, fuckin' weird.

jack.

Oct 27, 2017
The audio problems aren't nearly as bad as I was expecting but the A&B buttons are driving me insane.

Still having a blast playing this again, though.

dat boi

Oct 28, 2017
Btw does anyone know what matchmaking system they used for the Switch version?

Is it the original SL system or weapons?

traillaitor

Jun 10, 2018
Quick question:

Is using the drake sword considered as 'cheating'? It's obviosuly a legitimate weapon that exists within the lore of the game but it's so OP for where you are when you get it...