• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
No, go ahead. That's the way forward. The Bonfire at the bottom is not much farther away. Not all fog doors lead to bosses.

Huh, I made it to the bottom and missed the bonfire. Climbed back out so that I could refresh estus.

I'm assuming the goal is down in the mire somewhere? I left as soon as I discovered the water was poison, despite seeing that there was an item available aways into it.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Huh, I made it to the bottom and missed the bonfire. Climbed back out so that I could refresh estus.

I'm assuming the goal is down in the mire somewhere? I left as soon as I discovered the water was poison, despite seeing that there was an item available aways into it.

Yes, the end of Blighttown is at the bottom of the mire. It takes a bit of exploring but the bonfire is not hard to miss and if you explore a bit more, you'll find both the boss of the area, as well as some cool items and secrets and even an easy way to farm Large Titanite Shards. The poison seems intimidating but it's not that bad; the damage tick down is not too agressive and it's best just to ignore it; after all, once you're poisoned you can't get further poisoned so just roll with it.

If you go back to the Undead Assylum, you'll find an item called the Rusted Iron Ring, which makes it so that you can move at normal speed when in water or the swamp.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Yes, the end of Blighttown is at the bottom of the mire. It takes a bit of exploring but the bonfire is not hard to miss and if you explore a bit more, you'll find both the boss of the area, as well as some cool items and secrets and even an easy way to farm Large Titanite Shards. The poison seems intimidating but it's not that bad; the damage tick down is not too agressive and it's best just to ignore it; after all, once you're poisoned you can't get further poisoned so just roll with it.

If you go back to the Undead Assylum, you'll find an item called the Rusted Iron Ring, which makes it so that you can move at normal speed when in water or the swamp.

Yup, I figured it out (also had that item as a guide told me to visit Undead Asylum after the Gaping Demon).

Friggin' Quelaag though. Deceptively low HP but you get trapped so easily.

Twinguistics

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Capra demon is ridiculous, I'm trying to learn attack patterns etc but I die in 5 seconds from the dogs and the demon himself. The area is too small, it doesn't make for a fun or fair fight. Any tips? I just don't know how I'm supposed to get better at this one.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Capra demon is ridiculous, I'm trying to learn attack patterns etc but I die in 5 seconds from the dogs and the demon himself. The area is too small, it doesn't make for a fun or fair fight. Any tips? I just don't know how I'm supposed to get better at this one.

The only attack pattern to learn is that stairs are victory and dogs are death.

The Pharmercy

Oct 26, 2017

Get a shield. At the start he does a leaping attack. Run round it (shield up to avoid doggos staggering you) and go up the stairs of the left of the arena. Run onto the arch at the top and poke/kill the dogs.

Capra will do a leaping attack off the stairs and land on the ground beneath you. Do a drop attack, run back up and repeat.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France

When entering the room, dodge attacks to run to the stairs, kill the dogs as they follow you.
When capra climb the stairs, jump, attack him when he lands on the ground (don't be too greedy) and lure him to the stairs again. Rinse and repeat.
This isn't an elegant fight, but at leat you'll kill this %#!£.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Be careful on the top of that tiny walkway on the stairs, what often isn't said is that Capra can walk up the stairs and do a leaping attack at you, often one shotting you or leaving you helpless to the dogs at very low health and stamina without time to heal as they're up in your face.

These help with Capra, they;re available to get without special effort before Capra:
- Wolf Ring: increases poise, helps so the dogs don't interupt your own attacks. (High poise heavy armour helps in the same way)
- Spears & Rapiers: These weapon classes can be used to attack from behind a shield, again helps with dogs
- Upgrade your weapon to +5 so you should be one-shotting the dogs.
- Cheese method: from outside by throwing firebombs or dungpies over the wall.

Usually I just enter the gate, wait a beat, 98% of times he will do a leaping attack or heavy swing, dodge it and take out a dog or two whilst he recovers/as you're going up the stairs. Once the dogs are dead he is no problem, the stairs are just a way to separate the enemies in the tiny room or do plunging attacks from.

FrostyLemon

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Another example of why this game will never be the best Dark Souls for me. The small environment makes this conflict a pain to overcome and ironically becomes the standard way of cheesing the boss. Too many examples of this littered throughout this game.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
Capra demon without his Room wouldn't be anything special

I was also really annoyed by the environment when fighting the titanite demon guarding the gardens. Trapped myself a couple of times due to this mess lol

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, go ahead. That's the way forward. The Bonfire at the bottom is not much farther away. Not all fog doors lead to bosses.
I did it! Did a suicide run and jumped down several floors at a time as shortcuts and rolled past all the gross spider things and made it to the bottom and...poison killed me.

Then I did it again and was successful a few times later haha. Went back and removed the curse from the belltower dude, then went to farm some purple moss from the darkroot, now I'm about to go fight that sexy spider lady.

Fuck this game is dope.

Twinguistics

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I did it! I beat the capra demon. It took about ten to fifteen goes and a little YouTube research. I didn't cheese it too much but did use the run up the stairs, jump attack, rinse and repeat method. He's not actually that bad if you can get rid of the dogs. Got some key for somewhere. Not sure what door to use it on.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
I did it! I beat the capra demon. It took about ten to fifteen goes and a little YouTube research. I didn't cheese it too much but did use the run up the stairs, jump attack, rinse and repeat method. He's not actually that bad if you can get rid of the dogs. Got some key for somewhere. Not sure what door to use it on.

Read the description of the key.

Jan 25, 2018
Good news awaits! (If you have the Lord Vessel. If not, it's backtrack time!)

And congrats on taking Ceaseless down too :)
Cheers! Didn't have the Lord Vessel, so it was quite a march back, haha. The fact that I couldn't find the shortcut through Valley of the Drakes in Blighttown anymore didn't help either, but it was pretty satisfying to take the scenic route through Blighttown and the Depths again and realise how much easier it is now.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
I managed to beat the stray demon and finally got my titanite slab, the darkwraith didn't give any, despite killing around 70-80 of them :/
I got some twirkling titanite from snuggly too, but I wonder if I should use it to upgrade my shadow armor, the +1 does not seem to give better stats overal to this set.
I like this gear because of its lightness but maybe I'll find a better one later on.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Twinkling is very easy to farm if you run out. There's no other Ninja sets in the game, but are a couple other masked light armour sets that might go well mix'n'matched. I don't often upgrade armour myself, but if you've got nothing else to do with it, use the upgrade materials on that, every little helps.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Sprint to the stairs as soon as the battle starts, go up and go right, stand on top of the "door". Kill the dogs from there and do a plunging attack on the capra demon. Climb the stairs again, do another plunging attack, rinse and repeat.

Last edited:
OP
OP
entremet

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Capra demon without his Room wouldn't be anything special

I was also really annoyed by the environment when fighting the titanite demon guarding the gardens. Trapped myself a couple of times due to this mess lol
The Titanite Demon in Anor Londo was probably the worse one. At least by yourself.

Twinguistics

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sprint to the stairs as soon as the battle starts, go up and go right, stand on top of the "door". Kill the dogs from there and do a plunging attack on the capra demon. Climb the stairs again, do another plunging attack, rinse and repeat.
Thanks, this is what I did after watching a video on it.

I'm now at the gaping demon after absolutely dominating in the depths for about 45 mins - just plowed through that part.

Getting monster hunter vibes from this one. He doesn't seem too bad but my axe barely scratches him.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
Thanks, this is what I did after watching a video on it.

I'm now at the gaping demon after absolutely dominating in the depths for about 45 mins - just plowed through that part.

Getting monster hunter vibes from this one. He doesn't seem too bad but my axe barely scratches him.

Gaping was my "lol now I'm good at this game" moment, and then I went to the next zone...

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Weird. I beat Queelag on the third try, and I found her pretty damn easy. Once you know her animations and movement, you can dodge pretty much everything. Even when she busts out her flame whip (or whatever that is) if you just get right up close to the spider's face, it won't hit you.

Woohoo!

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
Weird. I beat Queelag on the third try, and I found her pretty damn easy. Once you know her animations and movement, you can dodge pretty much everything. Even when she busts out her flame whip (or whatever that is) if you just get right up close to the spider's face, it won't hit you.

Woohoo!

Yeah I agree it was frightening as first and ended up not so hard...

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Woohoo!
Dark Souls in a nutshell. Learn your enemy's attack pattern and be rewarded for it big time.

Deleted member 16025

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I spent last weekend helping people beat Queelag. Having the Lightning Spears makes me a pretty invaluable ally to anyone for that fight. Now I've moved on to Anor Londo and am currently waiting to help people take down Ornstein and Smough. Those Lightning Spears make quick work of Smough and for Ornstein I've got Great Chaos Fireball and Fire Orb at the ready. I'm a hell of an asset to whomever summons me and it feels pretty great!

What a fight too! That Ornstein and Smough battle is legendary. The music is so good, I can replay that fight for hours.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
The adventures of Sadist in Anor Londo

Why are these things big, mean and a bunch of murderous meanies :(

Honestly, the first part is okay. Even the infamous archers weren't that bad. I got passed them during my fourth try. The cathedral did suck a bit. Especially those sentinels which respawn every time. Is there a way to get passed them to reach the foggate?

But man that boss fight versus Ornstein and Smough... for a first try I almost killed Ornstein, but these two are tough. Next time I should bring Solaire right? Any other tips for this fight?

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK

Honestly, the first part is okay. Even the infamous archers weren't that bad. I got passed them during my fourth try. The cathedral did suck a bit. Especially those sentinels which respawn every time. Is there a way to get passed them to reach the foggate?

But man that boss fight versus Ornstein and Smough... for a first try I almost killed Ornstein, but these two are tough. Next time I should bring Solaire right? Any other tips for this fight?
Just run past the sentinels. That goes for any boss runback really.

General tips for O&S are to use the pillars to separate them. Use the camera to keep them both in sight as much as possible.
Most people find Smough to be the easier of the two, so take out Ornstein first if you're having a tougher time with him of the two.

If you're having a tough time dodging them, you could tank a little with a great shield. The Eagle Shield has low stat requirements and as a wooden shield has relatively high lightning defense, useful for this fight. You probably picked it up in Blighttown.

If you take Solaire in, you will have to kill the Sentinels because he will get distracted by them. I suggest killing them solo, then summoning Solaire because he will lose HP and his AI sucks, he's mainly there to draw attention not to fight with you. Human summons will do a better job, but could also end up doing the fight for you.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Last night I cleared Quelaag and the Gargoyles in one go (it is so weird that I missed them. I beat that necromancer in the chapel a long time ago, but never thought to head on up the stairs behind him).

Now the lizardmen in Sen's Fortress are kicking my ass, so I'm going to grind a but to buy Titanite and get my arsenal up to +5.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty

Are you using the shortcut skip to get to Ornstein and Smough?

from the bonfire right after clearing the archers (where Solaire is resting) there's a stairwell to your left after exiting he room. If you time your jump right (from the stairs to the floor right above) you can skip 99% of the way to the fog gate and you'll only have one Sentinel to deal with, and it's very easy to run past it

Last night I cleared Quelaag and the Gargoyles in one go (it is so weird that I missed them. I beat that necromancer in the chapel a long time ago, but never thought to head on up the stairs behind him).

Now the lizardmen in Sen's Fortress are kicking my ass, so I'm going to grind a but to buy Titanite and get my arsenal up to +5.

Parrying is super effective against the snake men, as are backstabs. You could try practicing against them as those skill will be even more useful later on.

And yeah, upgrading your weapon should be a good idea. In fact it should be close to +10 by the time you clear Sen's.

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
Beatrice isn't much help against the four kings, and other summoned players are sparse (could be level, time of day or location.)

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Beatrix is the secret hard mode for the 4 kings in case you find them too easy.

Nothing like summoning her, dropping down and losing her because she stayed on the stairs fighting a ghost which clipped through the fog gate while you fight the 4 kings who now have a 50% HP buff.

Last edited:

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
And yeah, upgrading your weapon should be a good idea. In fact it should be close to +10 by the time you clear Sen's.
Have to double down on Noema's advice here. I think you did great to get all the way to Sen's with a weapon below +5, but Sen's is full of large shards as loot, so that's the game telling you to get to +10 asap.

Twinguistics

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok so I killed the summoner above the gaping demon with my bow which helps but I'm doing so little damage it's laughable. I have a plus 3 axe that has 110 damage and my pyro is level 2.

Not sure what to do? Surely I'm not going to have to treck neck through the depths to firelink to upgrade my weapon? I don't have any titonite anyway.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Ok so I killed the summoner above the gaping demon with my bow which helps but I'm doing so little damage it's laughable. I have a plus 3 axe that has 110 damage and my pyro is level 2.

Not sure what to do? Surely I'm not going to have to treck neck through the depths to firelink to upgrade my weapon? I don't have any titonite anyway.

If you want to upgrade your weapon/farm titanite, I'd do it now. It's easier to leave the Depths than it is to leave the next area/still have to go through the Depths anyway.

I touched a large painting in anor londo and now I can't go back lol.

Yeah, you need to finish that area before you can leave. It's very reminiscent of a Demon's Souls level in the fact that you spend the whole time opening different shortcuts to give you a simple sprint to the exit.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK

it's a 2 minute run back to Andre, don't sit at a bonfire and then use a homeward bone to warp back to the Depths bonfire, always halve your journey.

If you killed the Channeller from the boss room, I assume you didn't go to the area where he is, I'd nip back there first there's some loot that will be useful before going back to Andre, as will the loot in the treasure chest near the Butcher if you found that in the Depths. Buy the upgrade box from Andre so you can upgrade your weapon at any bonfire (he will still have to ascend it at +5 and +10).

Domnhall, the merchant in the Depths also sells a limited quantity of gold pine resin, which dragon enemies are weak to.

Twinguistics

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
it's a 2 minute run back to Andre, don't sit at a bonfire and then use a homeward bone to warp back to the Depths bonfire, always halve your journey.

If you killed the Channeller from the boss room, I assume you didn't go to the area where he is, I'd nip back there first there's some loot that will be useful before going back to Andre, as will the loot in the treasure chest near the Butcher if you found that in the Depths. Buy the upgrade box from Andre so you can upgrade your weapon at any bonfire (he will still have to ascend it at +5 and +10).

Domnhall, the merchant in the Depths also sells a limited quantity of gold pine resin, which dragon enemies are weak to.
Thanks, loot by the butcher? I got a crossbow I think that doesn't help much