• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RockyBalboa_

Apr 28, 2018
I touched a large painting in anor londo and now I can't go back lol.

I did that in my firsr playthrough. I had to level up a bit while I was stuck there in order to survive to the end of it.

Playing this in handheld mode for the first time is not the most optimal way to experience this. Wish I had a procontroller now.

I've experimented with everything. The joycons are a nightmare for me regardless if they're connected to the screen or not. Connected to the screen = me falling off a bridge easier (eg new londo ruins entry). Separated from the screen = one joycon has a mind of its own.

I play with tbe Switch screen on my lap and tbe pro controller. Sometimes I'll lie down sideways and game that way.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I've looked in that and I don't think I got anything good? I've looked in my inventory and don't know what you're referring to?
Jimnymebob answered, but look under Key Items, this is where all your keys and non-consumable important items are.

Embers are listed there and let you upgrade weapons in various ways beyond the basic +5. The Large Ember lets your upgrade weapons up to +10 after giving it to Andre. Only he can take a weapon from +5 to +6 (and +10 to +11.) But any blacksmith or you yourself at bonfire with the upgrade box can upgrade weapons the rest of the way.

Weapon upgrading is SO important, more important than leveling up your character stats even.

Twinguistics

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Jimnymebob answered, but look under Key Items, this is where all your keys and non-consumable important items are.

Embers are listed there and let you upgrade weapons in various ways beyond the basic +5. The Large Ember lets your upgrade weapons up to +10 after giving it to Andre. Only he can take a weapon from +5 to +6 (and +10 to +11.) But any blacksmith or you yourself at bonfire with the upgrade box can upgrade weapons the rest of the way.

Weapon upgrading is SO important, more important than leveling up your character stats even.
Thanks all that replied.

I do have that ember and made the treck back to Andre to give it to him. Its not useful yet though as only had enough souls to upgrade to plus 5 and not enough for the box either.

Now headed back to the depths. Even though the treck there and back took over thirty mins (got lost a little) I enjoyed it and now know the map much better.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Got tricked by a player message into kicking that Carim knight over the side in Sen's Fortress.

I had aggro'd him out of sheer frustration with the game at one point, paid 20,000 souls to absolve it, and now he's dead. At least he dropped some stuff.

Twinguistics

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And now I'm cursed! What a terrible mechanic. I'm gonna have to treck all the way to the gargoyle tower to pay to get rid of this thing.

Who thought that would be entertaining? What a load of cheap crap.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
And now I'm cursed! What a terrible mechanic. I'm gonna have to treck all the way to the gargoyle tower to pay to get rid of this thing.

Who thought that would be entertaining? What a load of cheap crap.

There's a closer one than the gargoyle tower, though it's twice as expensive. Are you in the Depths? Go back to the entrance that you came in near where you fought the Capra Demon. There's a set of steps away from the two bandits, and that's a spiral tower that leads up to the same aqueduct that you first run into when you climb up from Firelink towards Undead Burg. At the very end of that aqueduct is an undead woman who sells the different types of moss and also Purifying Stones.

Good news is that you only need to run into the Basilisks once. If you open a certain door you can bypass them on the way to the Gaping Demon.

Twinguistics

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's a closer one than the gargoyle tower, though it's twice as expensive. Are you in the Depths? Go back to the entrance that you came in near where you fought the Capra Demon. There's a set of steps away from the two bandits, and that's a spiral tower that leads up to the same aqueduct that you first run into when you climb up from Firelink towards Undead Burg. At the very end of that aqueduct is an undead woman who sells the different types of moss and also Purifying Stones.

Good news is that you only need to run into the Basilisks once. If you open a certain door you can bypass them on the way to the Gaping Demon.
Yeah thanks I read about that and know exactly where she is, 6k souls is expensive though! I don't have that kind of money. I guess I'm trecking back to undead parish again and up the bell tower. At least I'm more powerful than I was before when I was there.

Is the quickest route through undead burg via where I fought the asylum demon?

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Yeah thanks I read about that and know exactly where she is, 6k souls is expensive though! I don't have that kind of money. I guess I'm trecking back to undead parish again and up the bell tower. At least I'm more powerful than I was before when I was there.

Is the quickest route through undead burg via where I fought the asylum demon?

Through undead burg to the gargoyles? The one I'd do (probably as fast as other routes and less annoying with none of those damned bandits) would be to go up the tower to the aqueduct I mentioned, go back to Firelink, then find elevator that goes up to Undead Parish. The elevator is right in the chapel below the tower.

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
Just run past the sentinels. That goes for any boss runback really.

General tips for O&S are to use the pillars to separate them. Use the camera to keep them both in sight as much as possible.
Most people find Smough to be the easier of the two, so take out Ornstein first if you're having a tougher time with him of the two.

If you're having a tough time dodging them, you could tank a little with a great shield. The Eagle Shield has low stat requirements and as a wooden shield has relatively high lightning defense, useful for this fight. You probably picked it up in Blighttown.

If you take Solaire in, you will have to kill the Sentinels because he will get distracted by them. I suggest killing them solo, then summoning Solaire because he will lose HP and his AI sucks, he's mainly there to draw attention not to fight with you. Human summons will do a better job, but could also end up doing the fight for you.
Thanks for the tips!

I've been using the Eagle shield ever since Blight Town actually. Just had my second try on this fight and I got Ornstein down, easier than I thought, but Smough gaining that power up, yikes. Caught me off guard. Oh well third time is the charm. Somehow I feel that these two can be easily overcome if I just learn Smough's patterns lol. Dude really gained some speed and range.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
The hard part is dealing with them both. Once it's a 1v1 fight it's pretty easy. In general Super Ornstein is considered easier than Super Smough, so you might want to try killing Smough first. Either way, they're easy. The only thing you have to worry about with Super Smough is dash forward with the hammer, which can be avoided by using the pillars.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
It was a brutal struggle but I got to the bonfire in Sen's Fortress (decided I can push through this and use the souls I get here to start upgrading weapons and armor up to +10). Found the Lightning Spear which made latter attempts much easier, now to find the Crestfallen Merchant before I get the boss and go back down and free Logan and whatever's in that other cage.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
It was a brutal struggle but I got to the bonfire in Sen's Fortress (decided I can push through this and use the souls I get here to start upgrading weapons and armor up to +10). Found the Lightning Spear which made latter attempts much easier, now to find the Crestfallen Merchant before I get the boss and go back down and free Logan and whatever's in that other cage.

th

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
I said no when Sieglinde asked if I'd seen her father, then when I returned to firelink she left. I presume I canceled out that questline then? And I was trying to not make such mistakes this time around.

It's one thing to give all-or-nothing player decisions when your game is shorter (In the case of Demon's Souls, from what I hear), but in this late-game quest it's cruel to deny a story beat/item reward when a player doesn't understand what's being asked (since I thought I had to find Siegmeyer down below before saying I knew where he was.) I mean, the game has no problem giving the opportunity to try again for a "bad" option, like Laurentius asking again for information.

Last edited:

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I said no when Sieglinde asked if I'd seen her father, then when I returned to firelink she left. I presume I canceled out that questline then? And I was trying to not make such mistakes this time around.
Not 100% sure, I've never said no to her.

How far along are you with Seigmeyer. After Anor Londo he comes to Firelink, then Blighttown, then Izalith, and finally Ash Lake. If you keep doing his part of the questline, maybe she just ends up at Ash Lake also as usual? Worth a try.

Twinguistics

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Through undead burg to the gargoyles? The one I'd do (probably as fast as other routes and less annoying with none of those damned bandits) would be to go up the tower to the aqueduct I mentioned, go back to Firelink, then find elevator that goes up to Undead Parish. The elevator is right in the chapel below the tower.

Of course, the lift! I'd completely forgotten about that. It takes me right there! This treck isn't so bad after all. Thanks.

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
Not 100% sure, I've never said no to her.

How far along are you with Seigmeyer. After Anor Londo he comes to Firelink, then Blighttown, then Izalith, and finally Ash Lake. If you keep doing his part of the questline, maybe she just ends up at Ash Lake also as usual? Worth a try.
Maybe, though a look at one wiki says that saying no drops her side of the quest (so Seigmeyer would still be at those spots, but they'd never meet, and thus no second slab.) Only talked to him at Firelink after Anor Londo, so I didn't go to the other locations. Hence I blanked and thought I already told Sieglinde in the archives that that I'd seen him (in a general sense), and thought that since my character wouldn't actually be able to direct her to his current location there was no harm in saying "no" for now.

Last edited:

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Hmmm. If the wiki says that, then she's probably gone unfortunately. I guess you can still get the ring and shield from Seigmeyer.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
Well, the ornstein and smough fight is finally here. Having read a lot of posts about them made me sweat before even the introduction cinematic.

I killed smough without too much issue, and was dealing well with his pal until I became too greedy and was killed.
It needed just one final blow and I died dammit...

Second encounter, I just get rekt lol.
Beginner's luck I guess...

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Well, the ornstein and smough fight is finally here. Having read a lot of posts about them made me sweat before even the introduction cinematic.

I killed smough without too much issue, and was dealing well with his pal until I became too greedy and was killed.
It needed just one final blow and I died dammit...

Second encounter, I just get rekt lol.
Beginner's luck I guess...

First try is best try.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Nice job.

That +15 Uchi is doing work. Thats probably the hardest roadblock in the game for most people so it should be smooth sailing from here on out.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
Thanks !
Though there's still these "ceaseless discharge" and "bed of chaos" things you guys talk often about... My hands will be all sweaty when i'll met them lol

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Ceaseless is no problem. BoC is just a crapshoot for everyone!

I think O&S are susceptible to bleed aren't they, so I bet that Uchi did rip through them!

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
Yeah I used the iaito but I think it has the same bleeding effect. I indeed saw some blood once or twice. The first phase (with the 2) is really hit or miss, it's really easy imo to take down the fat guy as long as you know where his pal is.
Once ornstein is alone, and with the lightning ring equiped, you just have to be cautious, the good old hit and run technique, and watch out for his zone attack (which fucked me the first time as I didn't know he has one until the very end of the fight).
Now I can do teleportation yay, end of an era.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Thanks !
Though there's still these "ceaseless discharge" and "bed of chaos" things you guys talk often about... My hands will be all sweaty when i'll met them lol

Nah, it's no problem.
CD can be cheesed by running back through the archway that leads to it after picking up the item that triggers it. He'll get stuck in the archway and basically die after a couple of hits..

Bed of Chaos is... what it is. You'll see.

Of the Remaining bosses, there's nothing that really stands out as being potentially difficult, other than 4 Kings, but with a +15 Uchi and fast rolls they'll be easy once you learn the fight.

Last edited:

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
Indeed what I read about the 4 kings made me nervous. Well, that, and the fact that the nearest bonfire is the one near andre... I still haven't get the firelink bonfire back, and that is a looooong way.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Indeed what I read about the 4 kings made me nervous. Well, that, and the fact that the nearest bonfire is the one near andre... I still haven't get the firelink bonfire back, and that is a looooong way.

Actually the Nearest bonfire is in the tunnel that connects Darkroot Basin to the Valley of Drakes.

I can make it from that bonfire to the 4 Kings fog gate in 30 seconds flat. You don't even have to navigate lower new Londo.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
Not now it isn't, did you go to the room up the elevator in the O&S boss room? :)

I did, I got the lord vessel, teleported to firelink sanctuary and the fire is still extinguished...

Actually the Nearest bonfire is in the tunnel that connects Darkroot Basin to the Valley of Drakes.

I can make it from that bonfire to the 4 Kings fog gate in 30 seconds flat. You don't even have to navigate lower new Londo.

Ho, mindblown, I'll have to check this indeed

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
I did, I got the lord vessel, teleported to firelink sanctuary and the fire is still extinguished...

You'll have to use the Black Eye Orb item in your inventory in the room that leads to O&S. (specifically in in the stairs) and something will happen.

This assumes that you haven't used up the Firelink Firekeeper soul for something else.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
You'll have to use the Black Eye Orb item in your inventory in the room that leads to O&S. (specifically in in the stairs) and something will happen.

This assumes that you haven't used up the Firelink Firekeeper soul for something else.

OK now I got it.
I had a message saying something about that orb when i was struggling with a knight in the stairs, said "wut ?!?" to myself then just forgot about it lol

Deleted member 41271

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 21, 2018
Anor Londo.

I think it should be renamed to Anor Bowdo.

Ridiculous church building with a ridiculous walkway leading into it and ridiculous walkways with enemies. Yeah, I sure am gonna walk onto tha- nah, just gonna shot them. Then they run at me and fall, leaving me to cross the blasted chasm of doom in over 5 minutes and enduing up with literal sweaty hands. Bow > them.

And the reign of terror of the bow continues.

Nasty archers almost shoot me down a cliff after nasty spearbrain dudes poke me to one estus. Yeah, I think I'm just gonna hide behind the ballustrade and shoot you two down. Ten damage a pop, yeah, I've got plenty of arrows for you dorks.

Oh, look, there's that miniboss enemy again.

can just shoot between the balustrade and poke holes into it till it keels over

I am not quite sure this is the intended solution. Bows are OP OP.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
Honestly after all that was said about these infamous anor londo archers, It felt a bit underwhelming for me.
Yeah they have tricky positions but they isn't many of them.
I just sniped them from very far then wait them to stop targeting me. Then I sniped tham again, rinse and repeat.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Iron Golem was the easiest boss since Asylum Demon. But then that light immediately sends me to Anor Londo and I'm not sure I can get out.

Not that anything in here is as mean as Sen's Fortress so far, but I'm wondering when and how the game will let me out and link this to the lower burg and the rest of the game.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
Just talk to the winged thing to go back to the fortress. It awaits you just where it dropped you.

Edit : while I'm at it, I've got (yet another) question. Eventhough I'm around 60 hours into the game, I never tried to help anyone with a boss. How should I do to help people with the 2 anor londo bosses ? Have I to leave a summon mark at a precise location (like the fire at the bottom of the moving stairs). Must I be human and wait before the fire ? Must I be part of a precise convenant for helping people ?

Last edited:

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Just talk to the winged thing to go back to the fortress. It awaits you just where it dropped you.

Edit : while I'm at it, I've got (yet another) question. Eventhough I'm around 60 hours into the game, I never tried to help anyone with a boss. How should I do to help people with the 2 anor londo bosses ? Have I to leave a summon mark at a precise location (like the fire at the bottom of the moving stairs). Must I be human and wait before the fire ? Must I be part of a precise convenant for helping people ?
You can leave a summon sign anywhere in the game unless the online item is greyed out (like at Firelink Shrine for example). Most people leave their sign either near the closest bonfire or outside the boss room. In Anor Londo the bonfire room is always usually litered with summon signs you'll see if you're in human form.

You don't have to be in human form to be summoned as a helper phantom, but you do need to be in human form to be the person summoning others to help you. No need to be in a covenant either, you just need the white soapstone that Solaire gave you when you first meet him after the Taurus Demon boss way back when

If you are in the Warriors of Sunlight covenant though (join at the altar at the end of the dragon bridge) you will get a sunlight medal for every successful boss kill which you can turn in for a more powerful lightning spear. The other covenants have similar rewards but for pvp kills etc.

Millvain

Oct 30, 2017

That's nice of you! I would say a good spot is by the bonfire nearest the boss. When you are human leave a summon mark (using the white soap stone) then wait.

From recent experience you get a real mix of people, some know exactly where they are going and you are basically just a wing man, but there are some who can really use the help!

Millvain

Oct 30, 2017
Aaaaand done ! Phew.
Indeed, once one is killed, the other isn't too dangerous. I'm glad I had a +15 weapon and 40dex though

Well done for beating Ornstein and Smough so quickly. It took me forever! Initially I only lasted a few seconds (literally) and I quickly came to the conclusion that I couldn't beat them solo. I helped beat them in coop a few times, but everyone I summoned a team of my own something comical happened to thwart every attempt, I kept on getting my proverbial handed to me by invaders, and one time my connection cut out as I was literally a second away from defeating (O&S). Eventually I couldn't face farming the humanity I needed to summon a team any more and decided come what may I would win this one on my own. And I got there. Eventually.

One of those reminders how amazing the game is, and how it pushes you to be better than you realised you could be.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
Well done for beating Ornstein and Smough so quickly. It took me forever! Initially I only lasted a few seconds (literally) and I quickly came to the conclusion that I couldn't beat them solo. I helped beat them in coop a few times, but everyone I summoned a team of my own something comical happened to thwart every attempt, I kept on getting my proverbial handed to me by invaders, and one time my connection cut out as I was literally a second away from defeating (O&S). Eventually I couldn't face farming the humanity I needed to summon a team any more and decided come what may I would win this one on my own. And I got there. Eventually.

One of those reminders how amazing the game is, and how it pushes you to be better than you realised you could be.

Honestly what helped me is the fact that I came to them all buffed up, around level 70, with a +15 Iaito. my armor is shit cause I prefer mobility to protection and I use my katana with 2 hands.
Really don't see how you can beat those two in tank mode with fat roll and slow movement...