• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Had a thought overnight to build Quelaag's Fury Sword which could help.

My thing is that I've neglected the RPG aspect of this and treated it like Monster Hunter: skills and power ups are cool but not game-making or breaking until high level play. Four Kings is where I reap the whirlwind on this thinking.

Thanks for the tip Noema on Twinkling Titanite.

Keep in mind that the Furysword requires Demon Titanite to be upgraded, which is harder to acquire than Twinkling. (can't be bought and must be farmed from the Titanite Demons, most of which do not respawn).

Also the Furysword is a Dex weapon, I don't know if you have invested in that.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Any new patches/words on fixing that confirm button placement?
Yes definately just to do with timing. It can be tricky but once it clicks, you'll get it. It's a visual thing for me, but the best advice I can give is to hit L2 as their arm is coming down/forward.
What is "L2"? I don't see that in my controller anywhere...

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Keep in mind that the Furysword requires Demon Titanite to be upgraded, which is harder to acquire than Twinkling. (can't be bought and must be farmed from the Titanite Demon's, most of which do not respawn).

Also the Furysword is a Dex weapon, I don't know if you have invested in that.

I've invested in everything but Res, Attunement, and Faith, which is the problem. I've got dex enough to wield the Silver Knight Sword.

I've also got enough Demon Titanite for at least one special-soul weapon to max out.

Today I just did grinding. 80,000 souls in the painted world of Ariamis to grab 10 pieces of Twinkling Titanite, then more grinding to buy Large Titanite Shards to max out the Scimitar and convert it.

Then I went down to Darkroot Basin because I'd forgotten to pick up the Grass Crest Shield after killing the knight down there, discovered the tunnel to New Londo Ruins.

Next steps:
-max Quelaag's sword
-upgrade the iron armor a bit.
-maybe upgrade Grass Crest Shield a little for more magic def

Then I think I'll be ready.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Quelaag's Fury Sword is also a chaos weapon which means it requires you have 10 humanity for it to be at full strength. Even fully upgraded, you will notice the difference if say you die and have to get back to your bloodstain, the damage will be lower until you're back up to 10 humanity.

Any new patches/words on fixing that confirm button placement?

What is "L2"? I don't see that in my controller anywhere...
Ahh sorry, whatever the equivalent is on the Switch of course!

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Yeah, tomb of the giant isn't a fun zone.
It's not fun at all and I'm on the verge of dropping the game.
The dark part is such a short area, once you're through it, it's done. Push through to the second bonfire and you're over the worst of it. :)

Do you have a light source? Have you done Lost Izalith - it's worth doing that area first if you're finding it tough. The first bonfire in TotG is warpable, so very easy to come back.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Kicked Four Kings teeth in.

Queelag's Sword +4, Grass Crest Shield +5, Full Black Iron set +1, 20 Estus +4.

Only blocked if I was too far away to hit him, otherwise just tank everything (though dodge that stupid grab move if you can, it hits harder than most of his other moves and sucks up precious time).

Now to drop the game for like 6 weeks.

Twinguistics

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sen's fortress done and the iron golum is down. I didn't find him too hard, once I'd figured it out. On to Anor Londo. Already found the bonfire there and kicked a gargoyle's arse, he wasn't too tough either. Not quite sure of the point of that bit as the loot from that was underwhelming.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
Sen's fortress done and the iron golum is down. I didn't find him too hard, once I'd figured it out. On to Anor Londo. Already found the bonfire there and kicked a gargoyle's arse, he wasn't too tough either. Not quite sure of the point of that bit as the loot from that was underwhelming.

This gargoyle in anor londo is awesome because when you kick its ass you realize the progress you've made since the Bell tower.
I died a lot on the roof of the church against the 2 gargoyles, this was my revenge.

On another note, I reached the bottom of tomb of the giants and realized I had forgot to do the thing that opens the golden fog.
Dammit.

Twinguistics

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This gargoyle in anor londo is awesome because when you kick its ass you realize the progress you've made since the Bell tower.
I died a lot on the roof of the church against the 2 gargoyles, this was my revenge.

On another note, I reached the bottom of tomb of the giants and realized I had forgot to do the thing that opens the golden fog.
Dammit.
Oh so it was the same type of gargoyle? Wow, he was so much easier now. I just flamed him with my pyro and he barely even tried to attack me. I had trouble with the two of them at the bell tower too.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
So I beat Quelaag and rang the second bell.
Should I continue towards the lava demon (or whatever is protecting that giant door) or go back to the onion knight through the door that has now been opened?
Sen's Fortress is the way to progress now it's open yeah, but you can have a nosey around the Demon Ruins now too. Progress that way is blocked at a point but you can grab some loot, souls from the boss etc.

Deleted member 41271

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 21, 2018
That crystal cave is stupid. Jeez. Such a letdown of an area, with a gimmick that feels just bad. Randomly sliding off platforms is woo.
DS2 and 3 didn't have anything like this.

New Londo was much, much better. Also really liked Tomb of the Giants, at least.

Still, it feels like the game is suddenly worse overall, or is that just me?

traillaitor

Jun 10, 2018
Accidentally messed up Firelink on NG+. Used the fire-keepers soul I was supposed to use to
revive the fire keeper after Lautrec kills her
by mistake because I didn't realise it was a unique item...

Guess I don't really need it too much now with just the lord souls left... but still annoying!

On a positive note, first timing Ornstein and Smough felt so good - absolutely bossed them with my crazy OP black knight halberd (+5). Even killed Smough first so I could get Ornstein's armor.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Anyone willing to help my gf with Seath right now? I lent her the game, so she can't summon me, since, well, we only have one cartridge, lol.

Twinguistics

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ornstein & Smough is ridiculous, I might just tap out here. Don't see how I'm ever going to beat them.

Tried it 4 times (irritating run from the bonfire BTW, boring to wait for a lift) and got two hits in on the smaller one once. And barely scratched him. That's it. The big one can pretty much one shot me, actually they both can, and I just run around trying not to get hit and then die.

At least let us spawn just before the fog door. I don't like games that treat my time like its worthless. Seriously. F u dev for making me run to the door each time. What does that add to the game?

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Ornstein & Smough is ridiculous, I might just tap out here. Don't see how I'm ever going to beat them.

Tried it 4 times (irritating run from the bonfire BTW, boring to wait for a lift) and got two hits in on the smaller one once. And barely scratched him. That's it. The big one can pretty much one shot me, actually they both can, and I just run around trying not to get hit and then die.

At least let us spawn just before the fog door. I don't like games that treat my time like its worthless. Seriously. F u dev for making me run to the door each time. What does that add to the game?

There's a much faster way to the boss, from the bonfire after the archers, you can skip most of Anor Londo. That'll make running to the boss much quicker.

If you are having trouble, you can Summon Solaire to help you out. He won't do much damage but he'll distract one of them while you kill the other.

Twinguistics

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's a much faster way to the boss, from the bonfire after the archers, you can skip most of Anor Londo. That'll make running to the boss much quicker.

If you are having trouble, you can Summon Solaire to help you out. He won't do much damage but he'll distract one of them while you kill the other.
Thanks but I'd have to spend humanity to kindle that bonfire and then kill the Knight everytime too. Don't see the point in all that at all, it would be more effort each time. I'm just stuck with the long run I guess.

I will try summoning solaire but only have about 8 humanity and so only have 8 tries at it.

I'm using the Gold hemmed black cloak set to up my lightening def. Is this good armour for this fight?

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
You don't have to kill anything on the way, just run past the knights, the interior room bonfire is really the best place to go from. But if you're summoning Solaire it's best to kill everything in your way before doing so because they will just distract him and lower his HP before he even gets in to the O&S fight where he is mainly there to draw aggro, he doesn't contribute that much in terms of damaging them.

Don't worry about humanity, it's farmable from several enemies throughout the game, the rats in the Depths for example. Wouldn't worry about armour either whatever you like is fine. If you're having trouble dodging try blocking with say the Eagle Shield which was found in Blighttown, it's the lightest great shield (high stability) and as it's wooden has high lightning defense. And goes without saying your weapon should be +10 mininum at this point in the game (if your weapon is on the regular upgrade path). The giant blacksmith is in Anor Londo to get it up to +10 in case it isn't.

O&S is a challenge for everyone the first time, don't be discouraged because when you kill them (even if you summon) it's a great feeling! :)

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
O&S is a challenge for everyone the first time, don't be discouraged because when you kill them (even if you summon) it's a great feeling! :)

Ain't that the truth. Took me close to 100 tries in 2012 when I first beat the game.

Like Red Liquorice says, you want your weapon to be +10 at this point. I like killing Ornstein first. He goes down pretty quick if your damage is high enough. And since he's much faster than Smough, it's easy to kite them in such a way that Smough gets stuck in a pillar while Ornstein closes in on you.

The satisfaction after beating them is immense, indeed.

Twinguistics

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok thanks for the tips both. I do have a plus 10 weapon (battle axe) but don't have that shield you mentioned.

What's the point in double humanity items? I have a few of them but it just seems like I'll waste an extra humanity each go?

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Having active (or soft) humanity - the one in the top left counter on the HUD - increases your defense stats as well as item discovery and even increases the power of chaos weapons, so the more you have the better. It's a risk/reward just like your souls, if you don't collect your bloodstain you lose it, but its useful and farmable. I know on a first playthrough it can seem precious but it's really not that precious, so use what you have when you need it - humanity definately does not fall in to the 'too good to use' category (that would be divine blessings in Souls I think)

Twinguistics

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Having active (or soft) humanity - the one in the top left counter on the HUD - increases your defense stats as well as item discovery and even increases the power of chaos weapons, so the more you have the better. It's a risk/reward just like your souls, if you don't collect your bloodstain you lose it, but its useful and farmable. I know on a first playthrough it can seem precious but it's really not that precious, so use what you have when you need it - humanity definately does not fall in to the 'too good to use' category (that would be divine blessings in Souls I think)
OK thanks but I'm still wary of using it as there's no way I'm trecking back to the depths to farm rats. I'd drop the game before I had to do that.

Also I'm worried that a tiny bit extra def is not worth giving up an entire go being able to summon solaire. I basically have about six goes with him and if I don't do it in those then this game is done for me.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Yes but that's my point. Apart from kindling, why would I ever want that? It just means I'll lose two of my precious limited humanity when I die.
In addition to what Red Liquorice said, kindling is extremely useful, and later in the game (once you obtain a specific item) you can kindle the same bonfire multiple times for even more Estus, so it's definitely useful.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I understand not backtracking, and after O&S you don't have to worry about backtracking at all more or less.

Another way to get humanity is through co-op if you're playing online - You don't have to be in human form for other people to summon you, and i) you get free experience at fighting the boss, ii) thousands of souls and iii) 1 humanity for every successful boss kill.

Twinguistics

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok so this game really wants me to just drop it like the obtuse piece of crap it really is.

I realised I had lots of unused soul items so spent a lot upgrading a shotel to plus 5 to get the quaelaags fury sword (had to buy titonite plus the upgrade fee) only to find out to go higher than plus 5 I need to go back to Andre. WTF! WHY?! Oh and guess where the game tells you that? No where.

That's some bs. Not sure I want to treck back to him so that's a bunch of souls wasted.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Ok so this game really wants me to just drop it like the obtuse piece of crap it really is.

I realised I had lots of unused soul items so spent a lot upgrading a shotel to plus 5 to get the quaelaags fury sword (had to buy titonite plus the upgrade fee) only to find out to go higher than plus 5 I need to go back to Andre. WTF! WHY?! Oh and guess where the game tells you that? No where.

That's some bs. Not sure I want to treck back to him so that's a bunch of souls wasted.

If you opened the Sen's shortcut elevator, it'll take about 3 minutes to get back to him. Otherwise, you'll be able to get back to him quicker once you get through Anor Londo.
If you didn't unlock the elevator, I'd say just stay where you are for the time being.

Twinguistics

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok that's it, I'm done. Spent two humanity, had to chug 5 estus to even summon solaire and make it to the fog door. Got through the white door, solaire was way behind me and I died in five seconds without getting a hit in.

This is horrendous. In all my attempts I've gotten ormstein down to half hp once and that's it. I just run around scared trying to line them up and it's just crap. When I do get a chance on ormstein he's just too quick or I'm too far away to even get a hot in. And then it's back to running away etc.

Twinguistics

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If you opened the Sen's shortcut elevator, it'll take about 3 minutes to get back to him. Otherwise, you'll be able to get back to him quicker once you get through Anor Londo.
If you didn't unlock the elevator, I'd say just stay where you are for the time being.
I opened the Elevator. It's still a massive treck and waste of time.

Twinguistics

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok that's it, I'm done. Spent two humanity, had to chug 5 estus to even summon solaire and make it to the fog door. Got through the white door, solaire was way behind me and I died in five seconds without getting a hit in.

This is horrendous. In all my attempts I've gotten ormstein down to half hp once and that's it. I just run around scared trying to line them up and it's just crap. When I do get a chance on ormstein he's just too quick or I'm too far away to even get a hot in. And then it's back to running away etc.
Just tried again solo and died in two hits. It's bs. I just get combod by them. One hits me and then when I'm getting up the other hits me a second time and I'm dead.

Is the gold hemmed armour not good for this or what? I'm level 43 BTW.

I get one ok run every 7 or so goes where I get maybe a third of his health off. And I know I'm no where near as I have the second phase to do.

Don't understand how so many people have done this. I guess I could summon someone but I'd probably die before I found a summon sign and waste humanity that way.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
Just tried again solo and died in two hits. It's bs. I just get combod by them. One hits me and then when I'm getting up the other hits me a second time and I'm dead.

I get one ok run every 7 or so goes where I get maybe a third of his health off. And I know I'm no where near as I have the second phase to do.

Don't understand how so many people have done this. I guess I could summon someone but I'd probably die before I found a summon sign and waste humanity that way.

Your armour is kinda weak, but it's up to you if you want the extra mobility (I hate using shields, so light armour is key for me).
You do seem quite underlevelled though.

If you want to get to the boss quicker, walk up the spiral staircase outside of the bonfire room, and stop when you see the corridor that leads to the hall that leads to the main hall where the fog is. You can run and jump over the bannister, to save you going through that side room with the silver Knights and the chests.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
al_cheekyjump.jpg

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK

A homeward bone halves any journey you make - it really does just take a couple of minutes to get to Andre then warp back again. But QFS isn't a magic salve, it's a decent weapon that scales off dex and humanity (as a chaos weapon), it has good DPS, but you could just put some charcoal resin on your current weapon and it needs Demon Titanite to upgrade it.

I feel your frustration, we've all been there - have some practice runs at O&S. Don't expect to kill them, don't even hit them, just watch what they do, the patterns of their attacks, dodge them, try to separate them by using space and the pillars. Smough is way slower, so you can lure Ornstein away from him, get in a hit or two and lead him away again. Don't be greedy.

You might even want to go back to Firelink (because it's very quick and just a matter of running there), set up camp there and do the Catacombs - the boss of which is one of the easiest in the game and allows you to kindle bonfires to their maximum. 20 Estus Flasks can make a huge difference when you're having trouble with a boss because if nothing else it can help you last longer and get in more practice and see what the boss actually does rather than getting smashed in a few seconds of walking through the fog door.

These are just options, but you have more options open to you than just banging your head against the wall with O&S.

O&S is a HARD boss. Probably the most challenging in the game, it's two big enemies and a long fight. You don't suck because you're having trouble with it - it's designed to get you to push through the barrier :)

Twinguistics

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks but I'm not gonna do that. I've seen that skip but it doesn't look much quicker plus I'd have to kindle that bonfire and maybe fight a Knight each time too.

The run isn't too much of a problem, it's more that each go lasts either 10 seconds, or five minutes with me running around getting no hits in.

I'm using that armor as it has higher lightning def, is that a bad idea? I've got a plus 1 elite knight set but not a silver Knight one unfortunately and it makes me fat roll its so heavy.

Is normal def more important than lightning def? I don't know how they both work.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017

I beat it my second try. Run all the way to the back and run and dodge until one of them focuses on your summon. When that happens you are free to kill the other one which shouldn't take long.

Twinguistics

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I beat it my second try. Run all the way to the back and run and dodge until one of them focuses on your summon. When that happens you are free to kill the other one which shouldn't take long.
Second try!? Come off it. What level and weapon? I've tried it with a summon twice and the focus didn't stay consistent either time. He also got wrecked really quickly.

Even when you kill one, you then need to do the second phase.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Second try!? Come off it. What level and weapon? I've tried it with a summon twice and the focus didn't stay consistent either time. He also got wrecked really quickly.

Even when you kill one, you then need to do the second phase.

Around lvl 40 something with a lightning gargoyle axe. Some basic armor leveled to + 4.

The summon got the big guys focus and it took about 6 or so hits to take down the little guy. The big guy is slow so the second phase was mainly hit and run away.