• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Twinguistics

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Around lvl 40 something with a lightning gargoyle axe. Some basic armor leveled to + 4.

The summon got the big guys focus and it took about 6 or so hits to take down the little guy. The big guy is slow so the second phase was mainly hit and run away.
Man you must be really good at souls games or something. I think I read that lightning weapons are weak against them too so dunno how you did that.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Man you must be really good at souls games or something. I think I read that lightning weapons are weak against them too so dunno how you did that.

Ah lightining works well against them in first phase which is probably the hardest part.

Make sure your weapon is leveled enough and my best advice is always two hand when you can.

Twinguistics

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How do you even summon!!! One time I died before I even got to his sign and the next time HE died before he got to the fog door. He got focused on the big knights and wouldn't just follow me. IT'S SO ANNOYING. What's the best way to handle this? Everyone just acts like I can summon and it's ready but how? Just wasted two more humanity and now I'm down to 4 more tries.

I know you say don't worry about humanity but why wouldn't I? When I run out it's game over. I'm not spending my precious time farming for maybe five more goes. That's insane.

Oct 26, 2017
People can kill Ornstein & Smough at level 1 using only fists, on New Game +7. I mean, it really doesn't matter if you level much if you get killed in one or three hits, if you don't know the fight enough to find opportunities to heal.

Tip 1: Don't try to summon for each fight especially if you're low on humanity. Go in there alone and just try to survive. Watch out for attacks that leave them open for a couple of seconds and wait until both are busy. You will NEVER be able to sneak an attack in between regular attacks, then you'll be hurt, then you'll panic trying to heal and then you'll die. Wait for the right moment and either do your attack or heal as needed.

Tip 2: Use the internal bonfire for practice runs anyway. It will take much shorter to get back to them and will be less frustrating.

Tip 3: Never lock your camera. Ornstein swooshes past you and messes up your camera.

Tip 4: If playing online, join others and learn the fight with less risk to yourself.

Tip 5: If not playing online, watch a tutorial video on Youtube. Should be a TON of them.

Tip 6: Don't panic.

Tip 7: Especially Smough tends to get stuck on pillars. Bring Ornstein behind them, dodge his attack and get an attack in before Smough figures out his way around.

Edit: I didn't watch the entire thing but take a look at what LobosJR does in this fight where he can't take a single hit:

Last edited:

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
So... Was engrossed in the game but somehow lost interest after finishing anor londo and new londo ruins.

Help me get back into it. I feel I'm near the end.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
How do you even summon!!! One time I died before I even got to his sign and the next time HE died before he got to the fog door. He got focused on the big knights and wouldn't just follow me. IT'S SO ANNOYING. What's the best way to handle this? Everyone just acts like I can summon and it's ready but how? Just wasted two more humanity and now I'm down to 4 more tries.

I know you say don't worry about humanity but why wouldn't I? When I run out it's game over. I'm not spending my precious time farming for maybe five more goes. That's insane.
Take out the two giant sentinels and the silver knight in the long hallway BEFORE summoning Solaire. Make sure there's no enemies around because you want Solaire at full HP to last as long as he can in the fight. Again, Solaire is rubbish, he will do barely any damage in the fight, he is there to draw aggro.

I would also wait by his summon sign for him to be summoned because if you go too far he will drop off the ledge rather than walk down the stairs and he will take damage.

Like I said on the previous page, you have way more options than just banging your head against the wall with O&S, you're not stuck there and it's not game over if you run out of humanity. You have options.

Tip 3: Never lock your camera. Ornstein swooshes past you and messes up your camera.
Agree with this point especially. Lock-on is a tool to be used like blocking or dodging, I constantly toggle it on or off, sometimes never using it, especially on big enemies. Using it constantly can slow you down because it limits your moment especially in panic mode.

Also, I think this is what Mike meant - Lobos is a super-player. No one is suggesting you should play like him, but his challenge runs are very long and you can get a really good look at what the boss AI and attack patterns are from his videos. As I said on the previous page, try some fights where you just go in and block and dodge, don't even fight them - just observe.

Last edited:

Twinguistics

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Take out the two giant sentinels and the silver knight in the long hallway BEFORE summoning Solaire. Make sure there's no enemies around because you want Solaire at full HP to last as long as he can in the fight. Again, Solaire is rubbish, he will do barely any damage in the fight, he is there to draw aggro.

I would also wait by his summon sign for him to be summoned because if you go too far he will drop off the ledge rather than walk down the stairs and he will take damage.

Like I said on the previous page, you have way more options than just banging your head against the wall with O&S, you're not stuck there and it's not game over if you run out of humanity. You have options.

Agree with this point especially. Lock-on is a tool to be used like blocking or dodging, I constantly toggle it on or off, sometimes never using it, especially on big enemies. Using it constantly can slow you down because it limits your moment especially in panic mode.

Also, I think this is what Mike meant - Lobos is a super-player. No one is suggesting you should play like him, but his challenge runs are very long and you can get a really good look at what the boss AI and attack patterns are from his videos. As I said on the previous page, try some fights where you just go in and block and dodge, don't even fight them - just observe.
Thanks both.

Regarding killing everything before summoning. You're joking right? That would take a lot of my estus probably if I even manage it at all. Also it would take ages. You can't just spit out "just kill everything" that's not advice. Like I can just do that that easily.

I am learning attack patterns and can sometimes survive for quite a while. It's just that if I get lost running away spinning the camera and get hit then I'm probably dead.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Thanks both.

Regarding killing everything before summoning. You're joking right? That would take a lot of my estus probably if I even manage it at all. Also it would take ages. You can't just spit out "just kill everything" that's not advice. Like I can just do that that easily.

I am learning attack patterns and can sometimes survive for quite a while. It's just that if I get lost running away spinning the camera and get hit then I'm probably dead.
Well you said Solaire was getting distracted/killed by the enemies after you summoned him - so that's the solution. Is it elegant, no. But it works. Take one enemy at a time (this is general advice) and it takes maybe a couple of minutes to kill the 3 enemies in the hallway.

If you're spending too much Estus on killing regular enemies - I'm not going to say 'git gud' !! - but I will say, then get more Estus. Leave O&S for now, nip back to Firelink and head to the Catacombs. The boss in there gives you the ability to kindle bonfires to maximum giving you 20 Estus total and is the easiest boss in the game. So if you use a couple before a boss fight you still have absolutely oodles to use on the boss. It takes 2 minutes to run back to Anor Londo when you're done with that, it's not a big deal.

Go do Darkroot Garden bosses if you haven't already. Level up a bit, explore more. You have options.

Twinguistics

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well you said Solaire was getting distracted/killed by the enemies after you summoned him - so that's the solution. Is it elegant, no. But it works. Take one enemy at a time (this is general advice) and it takes maybe a couple of minutes to kill the 3 enemies in the hallway.

If you're spending too much Estus on killing regular enemies - I'm not going to say 'git gud' !! - but I will say, then get more Estus. Leave O&S for now, nip back to Firelink and head to the Catacombs. The boss in there gives you the ability to kindle bonfires to maximum giving you 20 Estus total and is the easiest boss in the game. So if you use a couple before a boss fight you still have absolutely oodles to use on the boss. It takes 2 minutes to run back to Anor Londo when you're done with that, it's not a big deal.

Go do Darkroot Garden bosses if you haven't already. Level up a bit, explore more. You have options.
Lol you can't get to Anor Londo from firelink in a couple of minutes, at least I can't. That's twenty minutes at least, probably more if I don't use a bone.

Catacombs? I haven't even seen that area. Maybe I'll go and do that but really ill be dropping this game when I get smash on Tuesday and want to make forward progress.

Estus isn't her main problem - I'm never alive long enough to use it all up. I can't use it if I die in a combo from the two of them.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Lol you can't get to Anor Londo from firelink in a couple of minutes, at least I can't. That's twenty minutes at least, probably more if I don't use a bone.

Catacombs? I haven't even seen that area. Maybe I'll go and do that but really ill be dropping this game when I get smash on Tuesday and want to make forward progress.

Estus isn't her main problem - I'm never alive long enough to use it all up. I can't use it if I die in a combo from the two of them.
Like I said, take on enemies one at a time. You can draw only one of them, you can use a bow even to do that. And it does not take 20 minutes to get from AL to Firelink even if you slow walked it. You just run. You're not engaging enemies at all. Run to the batwing demon to take you back to Sen's, take the lift in Sen's from top to bottom and you're at the Parish in 2-3 mins max.

The Catacombs is past the skeleton graveyard next to Firelink Shrine, you can do that area at any time from the start of the game, but with a +10 weapon and Anor Londo range soul level it should be simple, many people do that area right after O&S.

If you're not having fun any more, then drop it - it's your game. But don't think you didn't have options in the game and hit a brick wall with O&S. One of the very best things about Souls games are how many ways there are to play the game, there are so many weapons, spells, playstyles, and it has a somewhat open world where you can tackle things in different orders. It feels like you're throwing up excuses at everything we say because you think it's time consuming or backtracking - and I get that, it's frustrating being stuck, but again, you have options. There's other ways to make it easier on yourself, but they involve going somewhere else in the game too.

Twinguistics

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I killed ormstein once now solo. Progress I guess. I keep drying by being hit in the back running away. How can I prevent that? I can't turn the camera and run as they are both on the same hand. (a button and right stick)

The double team is unfair, I can accept getting hit once but then again getting up to kill me is just not fair. There's nothing I can do about the double team and its always what kills me.

Twinguistics

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tried trecking back to Andre and died by the snake just where the cage drops you off. Just run back you said. Pah. Another unfair enemy placement, gg fromsoft.

Drain You

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Connecticut
Ok so I Bloodborne was so good, but I never beaten any of the Dark Souls games.Any tips to make my first run easier? I barely scratched the surface and I'm not really having a hard time yet. I'm much less number than in Blooborne but thats fine. I beat the first big dude, not sure if he was a boss or not. I just want to casually play through this game over the coming weeks. That is definetely an oxymoron I feel like.

Anyways I think it looks great on Switch. Wish it was 60fps but I get why that wasn't possible.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Ok so I Bloodborne was so good, but I never beaten any of the Dark Souls games.Any tips to make my first run easier? I barely scratched the surface and I'm not really having a hard time yet. I'm much less number than in Blooborne but thats fine. I beat the first big dude, not sure if he was a boss or not. I just want to casually play through this game over the coming weeks. That is definetely an oxymoron I feel like.

Anyways I think it looks great on Switch. Wish it was 60fps but I get why that wasn't possible.
Your first Souls game is always the hardest I think it teaches you the basics of the series, so after BB you probably have a good grasp of how it goes.

BB has a gear weight system but it doesn't really play that much in to things, in Souls weapons and armour have weight that affects your moment much more noticably. The breakpoints are <25%, 50% and 75% equipment load. Below 25% is the fastest and best in terms of roll (dodging) speed and running and I would recommend that but a lot of people get by just fine on mid-roll (50%), depends on your playstyle - defense as damage absorption (armour), or defense as evasion (dodging). BB is all about dodging, so... :)

Weapon upgrading was also streamlined in BB. In DS you can level up and upgrade weapons at any bonfire (once you buy the repair box) but only one specific blacksmith can upgrade your weapon beyond the basic +5 - Once they get it to +6 for you, then you can carry on upgrading at the bonfire until the next breakpoint (+10) and higher weapon upgrades and elemental upgrades (fire, lightning etc) require embers which are treasures in various areas around the game, you have to take them to their respective owners - only one blacksmith can upgrade weapons to magic, or lightning for example. A bit more complicated than BB, but written out sounds more so than it really is!

stat84

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I finally bought this and first impressions are not good.

I have played this game for hundreds of hours before and i mainly bought it to play on handheld mode.The problem is that i play using my "point" finger to run and my thumb to move the camera("claw") and with how small the joycon and the buttons are it just doesn't feel good.

HD Rumble is awful.I tuned it down to 0 as soons i got hit by the first boss(lol).The audio also sounds off.

Anyway it's portable Dark Souls and i will eventually get used to it.It looks pretty good on the small screen.

Also i was wondering how is the online population of the game?Is is worth it to pay for the online subscription?

henlo_birb

Dec 15, 2017
Been feeling kind of bummed out lately. Wouldn't mind someone to do a quick playthrough with. I have a new pyromancer a at lvl 6 with a white soapstone ready to go.

DaanMuffin

Oct 31, 2017
Been playing for the past few days. This is the fourth time I've bought Dark Souls and it's still a fantastic game. The port isn't the best but certainly an improvement over the 360 version. Only the B button thing keeps messing me up. For those worrying, it's pretty active online. Been summoned a bunch of times and loads of summon signs are available. Anyway, on my way to Sen's Fortress now.

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
It pisses me off it doesn't have the option to scale the UI like the other versions. What the fuck?

I always keep Ornstein and Smough in front of me, kiting Smough while baiting Orn into a punishable attack. It's just patience and recognizing attacks -- like all Souls bosses. The thing that annoys me most is Ornstein's glide attack that either glitches or he animation cancels. It looks the geometry fucks with that attack. Some weird hit boxes too.

Last edited:

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
Yay I'm back from the long hiatus due partly to smash, holiday within family and the absolute disgust and the hate of everything created by the tomb of giants and its #&) % crawling skeletons.

Any advice for nito ?

Jombie

Oct 27, 2017
Yay I'm back from the long hiatus due partly to smash, holiday within family and the absolute disgust and the hate of everything created by the tomb of giants and its #&) % crawling skeletons.

Any advice for nito ?

Stay in the same vicinity where you drop down and kill the skellies. Let Nito come to you. Fight is a joke, the only 'hard' thing about it are the skeletons.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Don't aggro the big skellies. You can take out the regular skellies if you have a divine weapon (same as necromancer controlled skellies in Catacombs). Often Nito can keep them down for you, but if you're having trouble with them it's worth having one in the off-hand to get rid of them. Free +5 Divine club from downgrading the Occult Club found in Anor Londo.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
Got him, but it was harder than what I expected...
I stayed away from the big skells and nito took care of the small ones, spamming his zone attack for reasons. I just had to take my distances then go back to hit him hard.
So happy to be done with this zone, tomb of the giants is the worst part of the game so far for me.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Got him, but it was harder than what I expected...
I stayed away from the big skells and nito took care of the small ones, spamming his zone attack for reasons. I just had to take my distances then go back to hit him hard.
So happy to be done with this zone, tomb of the giants is the worst part of the game so far for me.

Have you done Lost Izalith?

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Hahahah, I actually like the Tomb of the Giants.

To be fair, you can skip most of Lost Izalith by joining (and fullfilling the requirements) of a certain covenant.

The other areas of the game that I assume you are still missing are really cool, in my opinion.

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
Ended up finishing the game for the first time yesterday (base game + DLC), so I just want to sound off my thoughts on my experience. I'll spoiler tag them for length purposes.

TL;DR: Base game is kind of a mixed bag for me, and I don't feel like it stands up very well to the other Soulsborne/Souls-like games I've played (DS3, Bloodborne and Nioh). Lackluster/frustrating level design elements in many areas (at least IMO) and very few good bosses really drag the good parts of the game down. The Artorias DLC, however, is generally amazing, especially for its bosses, and the difference in quality between it and the base game is absolutely staggering.

• First few points will be about the levels. A lot of the stuff leading to the first bell (Undead Burg and Undead Parish) is generally good, though the game starts showing its tendency to constrict combat encounters by means of making its levels super claustrophobic (i.e. narrow and with many pits of death), which I found to not be a whole lot of fun in terms of appreciating the combat. This is a recurring theme throughout the game and only gets worse.
  • Going the long way down to the second bell is awful in comparison. Lower Undead Burg is OK, Depths aren't great, but Blighttown? Oh my lord, it's so bad. The whole level feels like walking on toothpicks the whole way down, given the narrow platforms with no form of guard railings to stop you from dying, and everything seems to like to poison/toxic you too. Blighttown was immensely unenjoyable, and if I decide I want to dive into NG+, I'll be going in the back way via the Master Key 100%.
  • Sen's Fortress is a lot like Blighttown in regards to level design with its endless death traps and narrow platforms/corridors, though the going is a lot easier once you get close to the top. However, unlike Blighttown, it can't be skipped, which makes me sad.
  • Anor Londo is great though! Except for the archers, that section is a giant blemish on an otherwise fantastic level.
  • The Painted World is also pretty cool, and since I missed getting Priscilla's Dagger my first time through, I might go back in to get it if I commit to NG+.
  • Darkroot Garden is actually a good area. It's large and open, but the trees can be used to your advantage and against you simultaneously. I like it a lot.
  • Going onto the Lord Soul areas: Catacombs is OK, albeit a bit annoying with the respawning skellies tied to a necromancer in every part of the area. However, the Tomb of the Giants is another 100% unfun area. It's too dark without a Skull Lantern and is also very narrow, making traversal extra difficult when trying to contend with every giant skelly in the area. Not my idea of fun.
  • New Londo is meh. What really drags it down are the ghosts, since they can only be harmed with specific methods (Transient Curses or cursed weapons), and they love to swarm all over you in small rooms.
  • Duke's Archives is honestly a pretty neat area. I could do with less mages and archers in the first part of the area, but it's honestly really neatly designed. The Crystal Caves kind of suck though. If you're trying to get everything, it's super treacherous, but it's overly simple if you're not.
  • The Demon Ruins and Lost Izalith aren't strictly bad (save for the lava area with a billion dragon butts in it), but it does feel like it was put together at the last minute. Having Taurus and Capra Demons as common enemies is pretty stupid, and the area is generally uneventful. I'll be using the Chaos Servant shortcut to skip the majority of it next time.
  • As for bosses: there are three tiers of boss for me: good, OK, and bad. The good bosses to me were: Asylum Demon (though he is easy, since he's the tutorial boss), Gargoyles, Quelaag, Iron Golem, O&S (though their quality was determined mostly through retrospect and not in the moment of the fight, where I hated them since I was playing solo and hellbent on killing Ornstein last, which is very hard to do), and Sif (even if he's too easy).
  • For the OK bosses (not really good or bad, basically unremarkable): Priscilla, Gwyndolin, Gaping Dragon (though he's close to being one of the better fights), and Seath.
  • All the other bosses in the base game are basically all bad, or to use hyperbole, actually trash tier. I want to list some of them in particular: the Asylum Demon reskins are super lazy; the Capra Demon is bad because of the dogs; Moonlight Butterfly never comes down and is generally yawn-inducing; Nito is only hard because of the respawning skellies; Four Kings are simply a DPS test; lol Pinwheel; and everyone knows why The Bed of Chaos is awful. All the bad bosses are generally unfun to fight in some way (ranging from lack of challenge to needing to be cheesed to RNG).
  • Separate point for Gwyn: he has a lot going for him in terms of lore, his great fight theme, and an honestly neat moveset, which would make for a more fun fight if you couldn't parry him (though he is a bit on the too aggressive side with some of his combos, and could do with a bit of adjustment in that case). However, actually fighting Gwyn is trivialized because he can be parried, and rather easily. The lack of challenge presented by this severely lessens the impact of overcoming him as a final boss.

• As for the DLC: it's great! The levels are much better overall than they are in the base game, with some neat enemy encounters and cool boss designs. I'll go through it bit by bit.
  • Opening the DLC, Sanctuary Guardian is a good example of a fun boss fight. The boss's design is unremarkable, but it is a good example of a fun fight in a Souls game, with a huge focus on reading the boss and punishing him accordingly. Great way to open the DLC.
  • The Royal Wood is basically the Darkroot Garden with some new, yet familiar-feeling, enemy types. Not a bad thing though.
  • The boss fight with Artorias is awesome, and honestly DS1's best boss fight. Like the Sanctuary Guardian, he's aggressive, yet readable, but in a way more satisfying than the Sanctuary Guardian fight is. It was a real pleasure to go toe-to-toe with Artorias, and would gladly do it again.
  • Fighting Kalameet was also a lot of fun for similar reasons to Artorias and SG, though cutting off his tail was a real piece of work, so I'm glad I won't have to do it again if I choose to go through the DLC in another playthrough.
  • Oolacile Township is a generally good area. It is narrow with pits of death in a few places but the enemy counts/types in the narrow areas are properly done to compensate for the level design. The enemies are cool too.
  • The Chasm of the Abyss is my least favorite of the DLC areas, though it isn't overly horrendous. It's dark but not to the same extent as Tomb of the Giants, so that's fine. The Humanity Phantoms aren't my favorite concept for an enemy though, because they're only "difficult" in very large numbers.
  • The final boss of the DLC, Manus, is also a good fight, though I don't think it's quite as good as Artorias or Kalameet. The way you want to fight the boss generally involves you hugging his not-big-arm side pretty hard so you can avoid his hits and punish him accordingly, though most of his attacks have enormous hitboxes anyway so I ended up upgrading a greatshield with high stability to tank a lot of his non-magic attacks. It was still generally fun though.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
Finally killed bed of chaos, which indeed is a bullshit boss. I guess it's a good thing you can do it in 3 times, what a nightmare it would be otherwise...
Now I'm tackling the DLC part, the base game is done.

IAMtheFMan

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
I picked this up for PS3 back in the day but because of life and other games that came around, I got to about Blighttown and then put it down. I did play through Bloodborne in the interim though I picked up this version of DS and I'm much further now in my Switch play through (the versatility factor) and am past Anor Londo and getting the Lord Vessel souls. Although I think I have plenty to go still, I know I'm gonna want more Souls experiences on Switch once I'm done. Hopefully we get ports of 2 and 3 (I'm probably more interested in 3 from what I've heard).

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck Capra Demon I have been stuck on him for days.

When the worst part is the minions that box you in where you can't see shit with the camera, you know the boss is fucking awfully designed. I got so close one time where I killed the dogs and was down to him, but panicked and fucked up an died. I got armor for poise and can roll properly but that hardly fucking matters when I can't even see anything because I get backed into a corner. Fuck this boss. And yes I know he's a regular enemy later in the game, it's the camera and the fucking dogs that make this battle bullshit.

Miss me with the "git gud" too, because this one seems just random if you can manage to kill the dogs or not.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Fuck Capra Demon I have been stuck on him for days.

When the worst part is the minions that box you in where you can't see shit with the camera, you know the boss is fucking awfully designed. I got so close one time where I killed the dogs and was down to him, but panicked and fucked up an died. I got armor for poise and can roll properly but that hardly fucking matters when I can't even see anything because I get backed into a corner. Fuck this boss. And yes I know he's a regular enemy later in the game, it's the camera and the fucking dogs that make this battle bullshit.

Miss me with the "git gud" too, because this one seems just random if you can manage to kill the dogs or not.
Try running straight to the stairs in the left corner immediately upon starting the fight and kill the dogs there. The rest should be easy enough.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Try running straight to the stairs in the left corner immediately upon starting the fight and kill the dogs there. The rest should be easy enough.
Sometimes I can, and sometimes I can't even get there, it just seems random whether I can make it there or not. The few attempts I killed the dogs I used the stairs, but panicked and died otherwise.

Twinguistics

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sometimes I can, and sometimes I can't even get there, it just seems random whether I can make it there or not. The few attempts I killed the dogs I used the stairs, but panicked and died otherwise.
Watch a YouTube video, that helped me loads. There's a few that show the tech of running up the stairs and jump attacking off. Trying copying that, it really helped me and I'm not that good.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Sometimes things just don't go to plan, we've all been there with Capra - but failed attempts aside, running to the stairs to get some space and despatch the dogs is a sound strat.

A few things to try:
- Don't immediately run. Go through the fog and wait a beat, 8 times out of 10 Capra will do his leap attack (or just take a swing), roll through that and use the time of his recovery animation to get some distance or take out one of the dogs, then run up the stairs and deal with the other.
- I prefer to go to the right first around Capra. Enemies will follow your direction, so it should give you space to run to the stairs rather than trying to squeeze by Capra on the left and getting cornered.
- Spears and rapiers can attack from behind a shield - great for the dogs. Just watch your stamina as it regenerates far slower when your shield is raised (no stamina = guard broken, stun-locked).
- Weapon. You can have a +5 weapon by this point, if you don't, why not? More damage = quicker battle, less chance of dying.
- Explore down the stairs around the corner if you haven't already, I prefer the run back from Firelink rather than going through all of Lower Undead Burg from the Burg bonfire.

Mages can use hidden body to cheese the dogs. Wolf Ring can add poise to any build. And when all else fails throw shit (dung pies) over the wall for maximum cheese. Also Capra is technically an optional boss, there's certainly no reason to do him 'on schedule' (after Gargoyles), there's much to explore besides there, although the Depths (the area after Capra) has an important treasure.

Everyone has been nobbled by Capra at some point don't fret about it :)

DaanMuffin

Oct 31, 2017
Haven't been playing that much but recently got to Manus in the DLC. Man, this port really grew on me. Maybe it's just Oolacile but the game looks pretty good on the handheld screen. Might be the way I run thriugh Dark Souls from now on.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
I beat Capra earlier today. Absolute garbage boss, and what's funny is they could have easily fixed one of the major issues with it with a change of scenery: make it a cage match surrounded by the sewer fences you see outside his arena. Then the camera can pull out and you can actually see what's happening.

I got to the entrance for Gaping Dragon, but hadn't found the Depths bonfire, and back when I played some of the game on PC, I remembered one being there. I found it, now have an easy path down to Gaping Dragon.

I hope there aren't many bosses as bad as Capra later, however I know people really hate Bed of Chaos, but I did not get that far on PC and don't know much about it.

Kill the dogs first.
I'm not sure you got the right post there.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
Before beating Quelaag, I ventured down into the Great Hollow. However I fucked up and got cursed for the first time. I read that the only ways to get rid of it are to get to New Londo where the healer is (I don't even know where that is), or get a Purging Stone, and according to what I read those are only sold in two places: The Undead Merchant in the sewer near the Undead Burg, or a merchant in the Undead Parish. Both of those are a long way to go on half of my normal HP. Am I just fucked or is there some other way I can do this?

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
Before beating Quelaag, I ventured down into the Great Hollow. However I fucked up and got cursed for the first time. I read that the only ways to get rid of it are to get to New Londo where the healer is (I don't even know where that is), or get a Purging Stone, and according to what I read those are only sold in two places: The Undead Merchant in the sewer near the Undead Burg, or a merchant in the Undead Parish. Both of those are a long way to go on half of my normal HP. Am I just fucked or is there some other way I can do this?

Afraid not.

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Oof.... Sorry dude but yeah, you either deal with half HP for now, or you gotta return to Firelink/tunnel to the Undead Burg.

FWIW, there's a way out of Blighttown that leads back to Firelink (and therefore fairly close to the undead merchant, assuming you unlocked that shortcut after beating Capra), it's the pulley elevator between the swamp bonfire and the area leading to the boss. It's not overly difficult at half-HP (most of the danger comes from falling) if you stick to just climbing higher and higher (and don't stop to explore the mid-way areas, since you'll get destroyed at half health...).

Good luck.

Leon123

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I just purchased this and should receive it soon but I'm wondering how hot it makes the switch.
Is the fan loud when playing this?

Ryouji Gunblade

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
California
I beat all of the DLC the other day. Lots of tough fights and it largely reminded me of Bloodborne with the amygdala-ish enemies, Chester the hunter, and the Cleric Beast-like Manus. The dragon was pretty dangerous too but also really fun.

HylianSeven

Oct 25, 2017
I made it to the guy in the Undead Parish, bought three purging stones and used one immediately.

I killed the dragon in Valley of the Drakes easily with magic (being an int focused character this was easy), and was totally worth it for the shield that resists fire against Quelaag. I visited the blacksmith to upgrade weapon and armor and am going to go try Quelaag again. I have a feeling I can probably beat it without having to summon, but I might be human by the time I get there because I want to Kindle the Great Hollow bonfire.