• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Leon123

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I just started this and it's hard to believe the 30fps lock when docked. The frame rate seems to be all over the place and that's just the start.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France
I can't beat gwyn. I know I have to parry him but damn I can't make it, his attacks are so quick.
Damn, I did the whole game without too much pain, but now I'm on the verge of giving up.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I can't beat gwyn. I know I have to parry him but damn I can't make it, his attacks are so quick.
Damn, I did the whole game without too much pain, but now I'm on the verge of giving up.

You can parry mid blocking. I've never struggled with him, so I don't really know the exact details off the top of my head, but you can block a few hits of his combo, then parry the part with the longer animation.

If you struggle with that, just circle that sort of pillar.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty

You're probably parrying too early. Look for his two handed horizontal slash, it has a pretty long windup. Remember you can only parry the active frames of the attack so wait a bit longer until the sword is actually coming to you. Follow his hands, not he weapon. The parry window is actually really really generous in DS1. You can practice parrying the black Knights in the Kiln if you want to get the timing of the parrying window down.

Last edited:

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
The 3 hit combo is also easy to parry but on the 2nd hit blocking the first, because the first hit is so fast it has barely any start-up. It's a similar combo to the sliver knights 3 hit combo or the Lothric Knights in DS3. A good fire shield is helpful obviously (black knight shield for example), but it shouldn't take more than half a dozen parries at the very most. Make sure you have the Hornet Ring equipped (found behind the grave in Sif's boss room).

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Doing a riposte on Gwyn with Hornet ring + Power Within / RTSR + Weapon Buff...

th

TheKeipatzy

Oct 30, 2017
California for now
Got this game recently. Now my fourth playthrough.

Happy with it. But I keep noticing things messing up. The crestfallen warrior simply left, and never found my Onion bro after Sens Fort... :/

Lastest weird thing is I can't have Frampt eat and break down Titanite pieces..

Any tips??

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Got this game recently. Now my fourth playthrough.

Happy with it. But I keep noticing things messing up. The crestfallen warrior simply left, and never found my Onion bro after Sens Fort... :/

Lastest weird thing is I can't have Frampt eat and break down Titanite pieces..

Any tips??
1. Crestbro goes hollow at the start of New Londo if you speak to him and have rung both bells (which you have as Sen's is open).
2. Onion bro - Did you speak to him in Sen's AND turn the lever after doing so? I think you have to turn it after speaking to him to push him along to Anor Londo.
3. Not sure why Frampt won't break down Titanite, unless you don't have any - he doesn't break down demon, twinkling or regular shards but everything else should be on the menu separate from 'Feed Item' (which would just get you souls for them if you fed them to him that way).

TheKeipatzy

Oct 30, 2017
California for now
1. Crestbro goes hollow at the start of New Londo if you speak to him and have rung both bells (which you have as Sen's is open).
2. Onion bro - Did you speak to him in Sen's AND turn the lever after doing so? I think you have to turn it after speaking to him to push him along to Anor Londo.
3. Not sure why Frampt won't break down Titanite, unless you don't have any - he doesn't break down demon, twinkling or regular shards but everything else should be on the menu separate from 'Feed Item' (which would just get you souls for them if you fed them to him that way).
I looked where the guy usually is. I think what happened was he fell off. Which had happened before.

Onion bro, I think I forgot to talk to him... My fault there.

Figured out the Frampt issue. I forgot to take the large shards out to break!

Thank you :)

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
I need some help. I'm really struggling with the Capra Demon. Most of the time, I get cornered and die within a few seconds. Whenever I manage to roll and get up the stairs, either the Demon follows and kills me(even though he shouldn't be able to get on the platform) or the dogs knock me off and I get killed anyways. Any tips? I'm tempted to use the dung method, but I killed the merchant in the burg that sells bows and my build doesn't require a bow, so I don't have one.

Edit: Now my problem is that he keeps going up the stairs. I read somewhere that he's not supposed to. I'm not sure how to get him to get under the stairs. When I try to heal, he'll go up the stairs and hit me, killing me, or the boss will do a jump attack under the stairs.

Edit 2: Apparently the Capra Demon is easy without the dogs. I guess I suck at Dark Souls, since I've died several times to the boss after killing the dogs.

Last edited:

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
I need some help. I'm really struggling with the Capra Demon. Most of the time, I get cornered and die within a few seconds. Whenever I manage to roll and get up the stairs, either the Demon follows and kills me(even though he shouldn't be able to get on the platform) or the dogs knock me off and I get killed anyways. Any tips? I'm tempted to use the dung method, but I killed the merchant in the burg that sells bows and my build doesn't require a bow, so I don't have one.

Edit: Now my problem is that he keeps going up the stairs. I read somewhere that he's not supposed to. I'm not sure how to get him to get under the stairs. When I try to heal, he'll go up the stairs and hit me, killing me, or the boss will do a jump attack under the stairs.

Edit 2: Apparently the Capra Demon is easy without the dogs. I guess I suck at Dark Souls, since I've died several times to the boss after killing the dogs.

If you can kill the dogs reliably, you've effectively won the fight already. Run up the staircase, and to the edge of the ledge to the left (facing the door you entered from). Just wait here, keeping an eye on what he's doing because he will try and possibly succeed in hitting you with stupid stuff. You basically want to get him to follow you up, drop off, wait for him to drop off behind you, then run back up the stairs and do a plunge attack on him. Just keep him looped like that as best as you can.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
He can and will hit you on the stairs, often he'll do a leaping attack from the steps and fall off in the process (but still hit you), you have to roll dodge that (backwards) to avoid getting hit by it. If your weapon is big or hits horizontally also it can often deflect off the wall stopping you from being able to attack the dogs even on that ledge at the top of the stairs.

Here's what I do:
Walk through the fog, wait a second for Capra to attack. Often it will be a lunging attack, roll dodge it and go around his right side, take out a dog whilst he's recovering, take out the other on the stairs if you have time, otherwise run up the stairs and take out the dog up there. Once it's just 1-v1; walk in range, then walk back out, let him attack then and get a hit or two in whilst he's recovering, rinse and repeat.

There's lots of little tips that are build dependent like: Hidden Body spell to hide from the dogs as you enter the fog gate. Attack from behind a shield with a spear or rapier (helpful so the dogs don't interupt your attacks but watch your stamina as it regens much slower when holding up a shield). Similarly the Wolf Ring can help low poise (light armour) builds also not get their attacks interupted by the dogs.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
Just beat Ornstein and Smough! Intense battle, and I thought I was going to die so many times. Feels good, though. Should I kill Gwynevere? I want to fight Gwyndolin but I don't have the ring since I haven't been to the Catacombs yet. I don't really care about joining the sect, so there's no consequences (for me) for killing her. Should I come back later and wait until I'm done with everything in the area (Duke's Archives), since the bonfire goes out if you kill her?

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
There, done.

The latter two of the final four bosses were easy. Seath I did in two or three attempts, mostly needing to focus on curse resistance. Bed of Chaos was a few attempts to figure out what was going on and a few more attempts to do the deed.

Gwyn was awful for me because I never really mastered the combat mechanics (pretty sure I never parried anyone on purpose). But I cheesed him by equipping the robes you get near Ceaseless Discharge plus a piece of the Dark Knight set for some raw def, equipping my trusty plus 10 Halberd, and circled the stalagmites like a damn cat, reaching through/around the stalagmite with my weapon and using the Dark Knight Shield to block his attacks with little to no residual damage.

Left Priscilla alive, never found Gwyndolin. Killed two NPCs: I listened to an Orange Sign guidance that told me to kick the onion knight guy in Sen's Fortress and kicked him over the side. The woman on a quest with her knight entourage got killed when that one dude threw me down the pit in Tomb of the Giants. I aggro'd her entourage, and then stabbing blindly in the dark managed to kill her by accident.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Just beat Ornstein and Smough! Intense battle, and I thought I was going to die so many times. Feels good, though. Should I kill Gwynevere? I want to fight Gwyndolin but I don't have the ring since I haven't been to the Catacombs yet. I don't really care about joining the sect, so there's no consequences (for me) for killing her. Should I come back later and wait until I'm done with everything in the area (Duke's Archives), since the bonfire goes out if you kill her?
The bonfire (outside her room) doesn't go out if you kill her, so if you've no use for Gwyndolin, you can kill Gwynevere.

The Firekeeper at the first bonfire at the top of AL will aggro, but as long as you don't kill her you can still warp from the bonfire (when it goes out you can only warp TO it).

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
Beat the Bed of Chaos yesterday. Interesting boss, but not as bad as I thought it would it be. I only have Gwyn left. I'll tackle the DLC before fighting Gwyn. Need the extra souls anyways to complete my build.
Yes exactly what I have been doing but they get me :D
How much damage are you doing? If you can take them down in 3-4 hits, just keep hitting away.

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty

What weapon and build are you using?

If they still kill you even wearing Havel's you're probably not doing enough damage.

I only have Gwyn left. I think I'll tackle the DLC before fighting Gwyn.

Definitely do Gwyn last; otherwise the game will send you straight to NG+ and you won't be able to do the DLC until after killing O&S in NG+.

Last edited:

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
What weapon and build are you using?

If they still kill you even wearing Havel's you're probably not doing enough damage.

Definitely do Gwyn first; otherwise the game will send you straight to NG+ and you won't be able to do the DLC until after killing O&S in NG+.
You mean, DLC, right? I need the extra souls anyways, so I'll do the DLC first.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I recently started a new playthrough focusing on magic, and I completely forgot how easy this makes the game. Especially if you pair your catalyst with an enchanted claymore.

Gandalf is unstoppable.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant

I had immense trouble with them because it was the first time I had to play the game like an RPG instead of an action game. I got through it with the Black Iron armor upgraded to about +1 or +2, the Ring of Beauty and Protection, and Quelaag's Furysword as they're apparently weak to fire and it's an easy-swinging weapon. Estus flask +4, tank their hits and recover periodically.

Basically: heavy armor, elemental or magical weapon, health boost if you can, get estus up to +4 at least.

DPT120

Oct 27, 2017
Beat Gwyn! Kind of cheesed him though. Couldn't get him to do the move I needed to parry him, so I just summoned Solaire. Overall super fun game. The DLC bosses were especially hard. Only bosses I actually struggled on after O&S. I'll probably do a NG+ run or different build some other time. Now, on to Dark Souls 3!

Deleted member 5028

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Beat Gwyn! Kind of cheesed him though. Couldn't get him to do the move I needed to parry him, so I just summoned Solaire. Overall super fun game. The DLC bosses were especially hard. Only bosses I actually struggled on after O&S. I'll probably do a NG+ run or different build some other time. Now, on to Dark Souls 3!
Don't skip 2. Seriously.

Haze

Oct 25, 2017
Detroit, MI
Play 2 at some point. It's still a great game even if it isn't as good as 1.

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
I have just recently completed Bloodborne ( platinum and 100% DLC ) absolutely loved it , phenomenal game .
I bought DS remastered on switch yesterday having never played any souls game other than Bloodborne before . Any DS tips regarding build , stats and combat would be appreciated as I heard it plays quite differently to Bloodborne.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I have just recently completed Bloodborne ( platinum and 100% DLC ) absolutely loved it , phenomenal game .
I bought DS remastered on switch yesterday having never played any souls game other than Bloodborne before . Any DS tips regarding build , stats and combat would be appreciated as I heard it plays quite differently to Bloodborne.
- Find a weapon type you like and go with it - all weapons are viable.
- Class only governs what starting gear you get (all of which is found as loot in the game), so don't feel locked in to any playstyle because of your starting class if you come across a weapon you like the look of or something like that.
- You can go sword and board, tanky heavy armour, nimble and quick, shieldless, magic and miracles - there's a lot of build variety.
- Movement and dodging speeds change depending on equipment load, <25% gives the fastest roll/run speed.
- Obligatory: Kill the dogs first (you'll know when you get there!)

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
- Class only governs what starting gear you get (all of which is found as loot in the game), so don't feel locked in to any playstyle because of your starting class if you come across a weapon you like the look of or something like that.
- You can go sword and board, tanky heavy armour, nimble and quick, shieldless, magic and miracles - there's a lot of build variety.
- Movement and dodging speeds change depending on equipment load, <25% gives the fastest roll/run speed.
Thanks. I guess i won't look at too many guides and go into the game blind .

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
All good advice for AM_LIGHT

I'll add:
- Avoid the Drake Sword (if you can't find it, don't worry), it's a noob trap/clutch that will screw you over in the long run
- Avoid the Lightning Spear (same)
- Never ever level up Resistance

That's it. Go blind otherwise. Enjoy!

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
All good advice for AM_LIGHT

I'll add:
- Avoid the Drake Sword (if you can't find it, don't worry), it's a noob trap/clutch that will screw you over in the long run
- Avoid the Lightning Spear (same)
- Never ever level up Resistance

That's it. Go blind otherwise. Enjoy!
So far the game looks and feel solid while playing portable . Went with the warrior as I am making a quality build .
The joycons aren't nearly as comfortable as the pro controller, thank God I have the hori stand .

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
So I reached undead burg and the Taurus demon wrecked me . I don't mind hard fights or losing souls , what I do mind is the tedious journey back .
Also I knew the combat was slower paced compared to Bloodborne but i didn't know it would feel this bad , like it's much much much worse than Bloodborne.
And to add insult to injury , I only found out that the switch version doesn't support cloud save which was quite a surprise seeing PS4&X1 support it .
I am at a half mind to quit , but I'll try sticking with it a little longer.
kinda regretting not getting the PS4 version at the moment honestly.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
So I reached undead burg and the Taurus demon wrecked me . I don't mind hard fights or losing souls , what I do mind is the tedious journey back .
Also I knew the combat was slower paced compared to Bloodborne but i didn't know it would feel this bad , like it's much much much worse than Bloodborne.
And to add insult to injury , I only found out that the switch version doesn't support cloud save which was quite a surprise seeing PS4&X1 support it .
I am at a half mind to quit , but I'll try sticking with it a little longer.
kinda regretting not getting the PS4 version at the moment honestly.
The Taurus Demon shouldn't pose too much difficulty - did you get the clue about the easy method to kill it from similarities in the fight to the Asylum Demon? There is a ladder by the fog door up to where the two crossbow men are from which you can do a plunging attack on the boss when he comes close below. Besides that, his moves are very telegraphed and you can bait a move then walk backwards out of the radius of his weapon, go in for a hit or two, rinse and repeat (or dodge through his attacks to the same end). There is a run back, but it's not a major one, all the enemies can be run by.

Are you still using the full starter Warrior set? If so, try taking off some armour so that your equipment load is less than 25%, this gives you the quickest movement speed and I never go above that 25% unless I'm doing some kind of tanky build. The defense loss won't be particularly noticable, but the faster roll and run makes things much more palatable imo. You can level up Endurance to increase equipment load, and later on there are several items that can boost it also, allowing you to keep heavier armour on but still move as fast (as long as you stay under that 25%).

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
The Taurus Demon shouldn't pose too much difficulty - did you get the clue about the easy method to kill it from similarities in the fight to the Asylum Demon? There is a ladder by the fog door up to where the two crossbow men are from which you can do a plunging attack on the boss when he comes close below. Besides that, his moves are very telegraphed and you can bait a move then walk backwards out of the radius of his weapon, go in for a hit or two, rinse and repeat (or dodge through his attacks to the same end). There is a run back, but it's not a major one, all the enemies can be run by.

Are you still using the full starter Warrior set? If so, try taking off some armour so that your equipment load is less than 25%, this gives you the quickest movement speed and I never go above that 25% unless I'm doing some kind of tanky build. The defense loss won't be particularly noticable, but the faster roll and run makes things much more palatable imo. You can level up Endurance to increase equipment load, and later on there are several items that can boost it also, allowing you to keep heavier armour on but still move as fast (as long as you stay under that 25%).
Yeah went back and did the plunge attack method with the gold resin buff , it was quite easy actually . I followed your advice and unequipped some of the armour , movement feels better now.

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
Update on progress : so I just beat sif the great wolf which was one of the rare occasions I felt genuinely bad about killing an enemy in a video game ( the way he limbs at the end broke my heart ) .
After a rough start and kinda negative impression of the game at the beginning, I am 100% invested now to the point I haven't been playing anything else . I can see now why this game is still regarded so highly, the level design and interconnectivity of the world is a breath of fresh air after been programmed to fast travel in every game , it's little cumbersome at the beginning but after opening few shortcuts it's not that bad.
Finally my decision to get it on switch was vindicated. It runs beautifully undocked which is 80% of the time I spent on the game, docked doesn't look that bad on my 4k tv and the general performance in both modes was a very stable 30fps experience for me.