• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Remembering how much fun sorcery was back on PS3, I thought I'd start a new character on Switch. It's still ridiculous fun as it's so powerful in the game.

Currently rocking:
Bellowing Dragon Crest ring
Crest shield
Crown of Dusk
Crimson set
Magic Longsword +5 for melee. Will do for now until I get the Moonlight sword from Seath later.

Although it's not an amazing weapon, I liked the range on the Butterfly Horn so may get one of those when I get to Anor Lando. I remember it being handy as it's got great range so it keeps the Silver Knights at bay nicely.

I was surprised how often the bells were ringing whilst playing; it's obviously got a very active community still. I got into co-op games nice and easy too.

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Trying to get the Moonlight Sword is proving tough with a sorcerer. I naturally don't have any high output swords since it's all about the magic so chopping the tail off is tough! Might need to co-op it but I'd be concerned he'd get killed before I get the sword :(

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
Trying to get the Moonlight Sword is proving tough with a sorcerer. I naturally don't have any high output swords since it's all about the magic so chopping the tail off is tough! Might need to co-op it but I'd be concerned he'd get killed before I get the sword :(
Try pyromancy. Great combustion can nuke that tail lol. Assuming you have a decently upgraded glove.

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Try pyromancy. Great combustion can nuke that tail lol. Assuming you have a decently upgraded glove.

Damn, I never bothered with Pyro at all on this build. I guess it's too late to go and get one now (and Great Combustion).

I think Egg dude sells them doesn't he? I killed him after slaying the Firekeeper to get the soul 😂

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Engyi gives it you for free if you have, I think it's 12 INT.

One Crystal Soul Spear with Power Within on should do it (doesn't need upgraded flame as it's flat damage boost).

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Engyi gives it you for free if you have, I think it's 12 INT.

One Crystal Soul Spear with Power Within on should do it (doesn't need upgraded flame as it's flat damage boost).

I've not even tried the sorcery on the tail lol :D I'll give that a go. Failing that, I have an Enchanted Sword that I could upgrade to +15 as the golems drop Blue Chunks in that surrounding garden and the Blue Slab is in the Cave.

Pretty sure I killed Engyi so can't get the flame glove :( I actually forgot about Power Within with this sorcery build. Will be sure to grab it on NG+ if I can't get it now.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Right, right - I'm dumb, totally didn't read properly, thought we were on about PW! Laurentius gives you the flame once back at Firelink after rescuing him in the Depths yes!

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I just confused matters I think! :D Right then, thanks very much for the help, I'll make my way to Depths and Blighttown then! :)

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Sliced that tail like there was no tomorrow!

I actually just went and tried it out using my Crystal Spear and it ripped it to pieces, very cool!

I then went and bought the rest of Logans gear to finish his quest line. I know you can go and kill him (did that back on PS3 on a Platinum trophy run), but I feel bad doing it :D

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Starting a PvP specific build. Target is:

- sl20
- wl5
- Uchigatana Raw +0 (only ever 2-handed due to sl)
- Power Within
- Great Magic Weapon
- Wolf and Havel Ring
- Dark Wraith covenant
- Not sure about armour yet. Something unique looking

It will be a challenge through the game til NG+ at that sl for me!

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I got this during the BF sale.

Are not many people playing the Switch version? I haven't seen a single summon sign yet. I have it set to global and unrestricted and no, I'm not hollow. I've played this game before but I never actually beat it.

Oct 25, 2017
Playing any Souls game at the moment is the same, very lonely.

Currently in the Depths, I don't think I'm levelled enough for the Mouthy One.

Solaire isn't pulling his weight either.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

Are not many people playing the Switch version? I haven't seen a single summon sign yet. I have it set to global and unrestricted and no, I'm not hollow. I've played this game before but I never actually beat it.
Don't know, sorry :(

Just to check, you haven't beaten the boss in each area? As I think summons go away after the boss.
I played on Xbox when remastered came out and there were a few summon signs in the typical spots, but not tons. ( Gargoyles, Tweedle dum and see, and Gwen).

It wouldn't surprise me if you see minimal or no signs unfortunately :(

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

I am seeing the opposite. I fired it up during the BF sale week to get some invading done and spent hours invading (and being summoned) constantly.

That was with both sl20wl5 and sl60wl20 characters. Time of day makes a difference though, I think I was hitting UK/Euro gamers as it was 8-11pm GMT0 I was playing at.

What sl and wl is your character? It makes a difference to what you'll see.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
I am seeing the opposite. I fired it up during the BF sale week to get some invading done and spent hours invading (and being summoned) constantly.

That was with both sl20wl5 and sl60wl20 characters. Time of day makes a difference though, I think I was hitting UK/Euro gamers as it was 8-11pm GMT0 I was playing at.

What sl and wl is your character? It makes a difference to what you'll see.

So far I've only been through the Undead starter areas, so levels 1-20 and the weapon I currently have equipped is a Mace+2 as a Cleric.

Both Gargoyles and Capra had no summon signs outside the boss area.

Last edited:

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Regardless of the summoning thing I'm back to being addicted to this game again. lol

It's just too good. Really hoping that Demon's Souls remake for the PS5 rumor is legit.

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
It's an amazing game. I thought I'd pop back on for a bit earlier this year, then ended up sinking 150 hours into it again.

Next year I'll go for a sl1 run.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
The amount of clothing/armor/weapons in this game is absolutely staggering. I guess they don't call it Fashion Souls for nothing, it's insane the amount of customization they give you.

ToG isn't that bad. There is other areas to shit on about TBH.

Which ones? Out of all the areas so far I've disliked ToG the most. Crystal Caves was bad but it was also very short.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
Dark Souls 1 is weird with its level design , starts out soo great , then after Anor Londo gets steadily worse.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Bed of Chaos. Zones with copy and paste.

TOG can be rushed through after you go through it at least once.

I just beat it (first time ever, finally) and yeah, Bed of Chaos was bad, but that's a boss fight, not an entire area. I agree it gets easier once you know the layout but that's kinda true of most areas. Thankfully the final boss was easy to parry because otherwise that would have been a nightmare. Made sure to go through each area including DLC since the game just sends you to NG+ without choice once you beat it. The DLC area was pretty great with some tough bosses. Too bad it was the only DLC for the game.

It's crazy how highly replayable this game is, too. NG+ runs, speedruns, different builds, co-op covenants to help people, a ton of different PvP covenants to rank up, arena combat in the DLC (though pretty dead on Switch at least). I can definitely see why some people play for hundreds, if not thousands of hours in this game over the years.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan
BoC can screw you over and over no matter how many times you have played where as ToG is over and done.

The devs even admitted that they should have never put BoC in to begin with heh.

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Been playing my first sl1 run and I am currently struggling against Quelaag. Specifically the AoE attack that pretty much one-shots me.

I am currently geared as :

- Fire Reinforced Club +5
- Pyro Glove +4
- Fire Orb and Power Within
- Dragon Crest Sheild (just for this fight really, for its fire resist)
- FaP ring
- Cloranrhy ring

Damage is very slow at the moment. One annoying thing is the need to use Purple Moss every time I cross the swamp to get to get to the boss room. A merchant that sells them would be nice to have in the area, although I could go back up to Firelink and buy a bunch.

There will be many tough fights I am sure, it's just I didn't think Que would be this tough :D

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Yeahhhh Quelaag is like, completely immune to fire

Get yourself a regular Reinforced Club +5-10 or something?

Yeah I don't know why I even tried that. It's a good weapon for most enemies in the game, but not her! I think I'll go and do what you've advised. I've got a Hand Axe ready to go to Lightning too, should be handy for later.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I finished another SL1 run at the end of December so it's fresh in my mind, I'm starting to upload it to YT later this week I think I just rocked a reinforced club/pyro. If you want you can have a +15 by Quelaag but it's definately overkill, a +10 is fine. Power Within is a great tool for SL1 runs, RTSR also, but PW is a little safer if you're not that confident with a boss.

If it's the AoE that's getting you watch out for what the human half of her is doing, she will slump down, as soon as you see her doing that, get out. Also don't stick to her tail as she has a separate 'butt bomb' attack similar to the cragg spider type enemies in the swamp. I tend to just try and bait/wait for the lava spewing attack and use that opportunity to bash her legs from the side, unlocked so you can see her human half animations.

Oh, also a good tip for getting more OP early is after Quelaag continue down to the Demon Ruins to grab the large flame ember, strolling in to Sen's with a +8 fire weapon is nice :)

Edit - just checked the video and I actually used a +5 Jagged Ghost Blade on her. Although the bleed has no effect on her, it's a good weapon, can be used by SL1, has bleed and can be maxed out very, very early because it uses Twinkling. Another option any way.

Last edited:

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I finished another SL1 run at the end of December so it's fresh in my mind, I'm starting to upload it to YT later this week I think I just rocked a reinforced club/pyro. If you want you can have a +15 by Quelaag but it's definately overkill, a +10 is fine. Power Within is a great tool for SL1 runs, RTSR also, but PW is a little safer if you're not that confident with a boss.

If it's the AoE that's getting you watch out for what the human half of her is doing, she will slump down, as soon as you see her doing that, get out. Also don't stick to her tail as she has a separate 'butt bomb' attack similar to the cragg spider type enemies in the swamp. I tend to just try and bait/wait for the lava spewing attack and use that opportunity to bash her legs from the side, unlocked so you can see her human half animations.

Oh, also a good tip for getting more OP early is after Quelaag continue down to the Demon Ruins to grab the large flame ember, strolling in to Sen's with a +8 fire weapon is nice :)

Edit - just checked the video and I actually used a +5 Jagged Ghost Blade on her. Although the bleed has no effect on her, it's a good weapon, can be used by SL1, has bleed and can be maxed out very, very early because it uses Twinkling. Another option any way.

Thanks very much, do you have a link to your video?
My memory is hazy on upgrading Fire beyond +5, I think it's Red Chunks.. which the two Dark Knights back in the starting area drop, I think?

Yeah, I've always been a bit shit with Ring FaP as running so low on health is super risky, Power Within may suit me better.

And.. Crown of Dusk boosts Pyro too, right? That could be handy. Off to Hydra for that.

As that's the case, I think I'll
- Sort out my regular +5 or +10 Reinforced Club
- Get the Red Chunks (I'll check if its those I need for high end Fire weapons)
- Get some Purple Moss!

Thanks

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I haven't started uploading the series yet, I'll begin later this week. I'll post a link to the playlist when I do but I'm sure you'll be past Quelaag by then. :)

Red Chunks - 2 from the black knights in Asylum, 2 in the Great Hollow and they can also drop from the pop-out centipedes in Demon Ruins (can't be farmed) and the lizards in the Great Hollow. With lucky drops I think you can even push +9 but certainly +7 even with lousy RNG.

Crown of Dusk + Bellowing Ring both boost pyro. I usually farm moss in Darkroot but just as easy to buy (I'm tight, so I farm!)

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks. I guess the risk with Crown of Dusk is the reduction in Magic defence, it's like 80% reduction isn't it? I seem to remember that from my Sorcery build. There's the other head piece you can get, which doesn't reduce magic def, but isn't as powerful. The hidden boss in Anor Lando (the long corridor dude, always forget their name!).

Anyway, that's a way off so maybe Crown of Dusk will do for now...

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Crown of Dusk is worth the risk to me, especially at SL1 where you're low on HP any way. Power Within is a flat damage increase and isn't effected by spell boosting gear, so if it's the only spell you're using at the time, no need to take the risk. Gwyndolin's crown boost less yeah, I can't remember the numbers.

I uploaded the Quelaag part of my run: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjfOv0FLD-g&t=1m20s
If you get stuck on any later bosses I should've uploaded the whole run by next week so check it out if want an example of how to kill a specific boss or something. :)

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
No I believe Power Within is a flat damage % increase, not effected by upgrading the pyro flame or using the dusk crown or bellowing ring etc. The Lingering ring makes it last longer though.
You can use PW on top of the crown/bellowing ring when boosting pyro/magic, but the crown/ring won't increase the strength of PW itself is what I mean.

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Ah cool, that was my understanding too, I just didn't explain myself very well :)

I'll check your video out during lunch today, thanks! :)

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Crown of Dusk is worth the risk to me, especially at SL1 where you're low on HP any way. Power Within is a flat damage increase and isn't effected by spell boosting gear, so if it's the only spell you're using at the time, no need to take the risk. Gwyndolin's crown boost less yeah, I can't remember the numbers.

I uploaded the Quelaag part of my run: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjfOv0FLD-g&t=1m20s
If you get stuck on any later bosses I should've uploaded the whole run by next week so check it out if want an example of how to kill a specific boss or something. :)

Did you go all the way down to Tomb of Giants to kill Leeroy for the shield?!
Also, you've got lots of Souls haha! I think I may change my strat a little :D

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Did you go all the way down to Tomb of Giants to kill Leeroy for the shield?!
Also, you've got lots of Souls haha! I think I may change my strat a little :D
BP Leeroy won't show up until after you place the Lord Vessel but I always go down after Pinwheel to pick up the Silver Serpent Ring, it's my most important ring! I don't use a bonfire, just warp out.

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
BP Leeroy won't show up until after you place the Lord Vessel but I always go down after Pinwheel to pick up the Silver Serpent Ring, it's my most important ring! I don't use a bonfire, just warp out.

Ah nice, I go as far as Pinwheel so I can have more flasks, didn't think to get the ring. What shield is that you're using?

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
Been playing my first sl1 run and I am currently struggling against Quelaag. Specifically the AoE attack that pretty much one-shots me.

I am currently geared as :

- Fire Reinforced Club +5
- Pyro Glove +4
- Fire Orb and Power Within
- Dragon Crest Sheild (just for this fight really, for its fire resist)
- FaP ring
- Cloranrhy ring

Damage is very slow at the moment. One annoying thing is the need to use Purple Moss every time I cross the swamp to get to get to the boss room. A merchant that sells them would be nice to have in the area, although I could go back up to Firelink and buy a bunch.

There will be many tough fights I am sure, it's just I didn't think Que would be this tough :D
If you are summoning NPCs, Man Eater Mildred will tank her and do a lot of the work all on her own.

My buddy and I rolled through this at SL1 pretty easily that way.

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
Cheers, I'll try using her. I don't have many Humanity atm though so only have a few goes to get that.

Just stay out of the way and poke safely when you see an attack you are familiar with. Mildred does a ton of the work.

You can also stunlock her with some longer weapons, not sure if you can equip even two-handed at SL1 though. I've done it with the Great Scythe on a few lower level runs. Anything that hits her human part can stun her.

Found a sample video: