• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks very much, I'll check that out!

I've had time only for a little bit tonight. Got myself a bunch of Purple Moss, Killed the two Black Knights back at the Asylum and clearer Moonlight Butterfly.

I've got a +10 Hand Axe and x5 Fire Reinfored Club. I'll try and get the flame ember after hopefully killed Quelaag soon!

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Right, I've got 4 Red Chunks and a +10 Axe to try Quelaag again. I may try and get Crown of Dusk though first..

BUT:
A Crystal Lizard dropped a Titanite SLAB! I've never, in probably 800 hours of Dark Souls (PS3, PC, Switch) had a Lizard drop one.

I've been back to the Asylum but not fought thingy, and haven't done co-op so nobody could of gifted me it. I can't think where else it would of appeared from. Most weird. Must of been a crystal lizard.

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Quelaag DEAD!
I summoned the NPC there for a bit of distraction and it definitely helped a bit. That was a pretty challenging boss.

Got Dusk of Crown now.

Right then, I just got the Large Flame Ember so off to Catacombs to upgrade the Club a bit more, then onwards to Sens! That was a crazy run like shit moment away from all the enemies in the opening to Demon Ruins. Hilarious that there's about 6 of them just waiting for you :D

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Yay, good going :)

Another item to maybe grab since you'll be in Darkroot any way for the Crown is the Hornet ring if you haven't already - you can get it from Sif's room without triggering the fight as long as you don't get too close to the front of the large tombstone. The ring + your further upgraded fire weapon should make short work of the snakes in Sens.

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Yay, good going :)

Another item to maybe grab since you'll be in Darkroot any way for the Crown is the Hornet ring if you haven't already - you can get it from Sif's room without triggering the fight as long as you don't get too close to the front of the large tombstone. The ring + your further upgraded fire weapon should make short work of the snakes in Sens.

Ah yeah, of course! I totally forgot about that. Hornet is awesome for increasing crits, I'll go and pick that up.

I am tempted to drop Ring of FaP but it does give you a little bit more headroom with health. But then.. the ring slot could be handy for things like Hornet etc. Shame it breaks, otherwise I'd have a play about with what works best.

Thanks again! :)

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Got lost in the woods. I very rarely go that way (up the ladder), I normally drop the coin to open the main door by all the NPCs and go that way. I've not had enough this time, which is odd as there's been no character leveling :) I guess I've done no co-op either, which nets you decent amounts. Got the Hornet ring though :)

Made it to Sens. The +8 Fire Reinforced Club deals some serious damage to the Lizard dudes!

Lunch is over now, so will play again tonight.

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Got to Anor Lando, my favourite place in the game.

Got the Lightning Hand Axe. Just need a few chunks to upgrade it.

With Hornet ring and +5 Fire Reinforced Club, crits are doing 842 damage on Silver Knights after a parry. Impressive!

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I can get Ornstein down to 50% heath (I want him down first as Big Ornstein is harder I find). This one will be a challenge! Might try and call in Solaire to cause distraction but I've only got 7 Humanity.

Fire Club +8 with Power Within helps, but the damage they do. Woof! Should I remove Crown of Dusk to reduce Lightning damage from them?

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
If you're not using any other pyro besides PW then removing Dusk Crown is a good idea. You can always go back to say the Depths and farm humanity for a bit if you want more tries at summoning Solaire. The giant blacksmith's hammer is also a really good SL1 weapon and upgrades with Twinkling - it's a bummer to kill him, but needs must!

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
If you're not using any other pyro besides PW then removing Dusk Crown is a good idea. You can always go back to say the Depths and farm humanity for a bit if you want more tries at summoning Solaire. The giant blacksmith's hammer is also a really good SL1 weapon and upgrades with Twinkling - it's a bummer to kill him, but needs must!

I've seen the recommendation about getting the blacksmiths hammer before but I don't think I can bring myself to killing him! I'll see how I get on first for a while longer! I'd miss him!

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
sl1 run.
Smough and Ornstein went DOWN!
The battle with Ornstein was right to the wire in the end but got the job done. Utterly amazing feeling!

Not sure where to tackle next. Might get my ass down to Nito.

Let's go!

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
It was cool when you could stun-lock Ornstein with the Lightning Hand Axe, that was REALLY cool.

Makes me want to make another build after this with some levels, and go at him again. Maybe have him as a co-op build just for that boss. Will have to see what level people typically are around there, I guess sl50 and wl10 maybe?? Hmm!

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Thumbsup! Halfway-ish done, I think Nito and Seath are relatively easy at SL1, I would make a divine weapon just for Nito's minions, not sure if the Club can be wielded by SL1, maybe two-handed? If so the Occult club can be downgraded to +5 which should one shot Nito's little skellies.

I'm doing a Deprived run atm - Deprived class, no starting gift, I can level up/upgrade weapon but can only use the starting gear - no other weapon or armour or rings (this is the killer for me, I switch rings constantly!), can't pick up any items unless they are enemy drops - no upgrade materials unless they are dropped, can't buy anything from merchants etc. It's relatively easy going so far but has had some interesting twists like I had to get cursed just to fight the ghosts until they dropped a transient curse because I couldn't buy or pick any up.

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Thumbsup! Halfway-ish done, I think Nito and Seath are relatively easy at SL1, I would make a divine weapon just for Nito's minions, not sure if the Club can be wielded by SL1, maybe two-handed? If so the Occult club can be downgraded to +5 which should one shot Nito's little skellies.

I'm doing a Deprived run atm - Deprived class, no starting gift, I can level up/upgrade weapon but can only use the starting gear - no other weapon or armour or rings (this is the killer for me, I switch rings constantly!), can't pick up any items unless they are enemy drops - no upgrade materials unless they are dropped, can't buy anything from merchants etc. It's relatively easy going so far but has had some interesting twists like I had to get cursed just to fight the ghosts until they dropped a transient curse because I couldn't buy or pick any up.

That sounds hardcore, I like it! What weapon do you have to use all the way through? edit: Ah, a Club, and the crappy shield. That does sound extremely challenging!

I've just made a +5 Divine reinforced club for Nito's friends, certainly makes that fight less hassle. I am actually more worried about Seath, the damage it deals is crazy. Maybe Havel gear and Lightning weapon is the best way to go?? I'll certainly be buying some Purging Stones before heading that way :D

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I never worry about curse, I think it's the gear I often use, or maybe having soft humanity. I think maybe the Dusk Crown has decent curse resist since I usually have that on.
With Seath I always stand mid-distance and he will do the breath attack, then as he's winding it up I run in and hit his belly, then run out as he winds up a close range attack, then he winds up a mid-range attack, rinse and repeat. I've been caught by the big blast, so when close you have to not be greedy and get ready to run back out on time.

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Nito vanquished.

+15 Pyro fire orbs and the +8 Fire Reinforced Club finished him real quick!

Heading to Seath...!

Last edited:

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Seath is down!

Died a few times, got cursed once, but spayed the shitter in the end without too much issue. Firestorm Pyro really did some damage, then Lightning Axe did the rest!

Izalith next!

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Firesage Demon down. Forgot about him, and centipede. He's next!

Centipede I always find really hard. The camera is trash and it's very hard to see what's going on. Never been a fan of that boss. I've died on it more time's now than S&O 😂

Last edited:

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Centipede camera is bad, it can be mitigated by fighting him where the green shard is or the central land part, fighting it near the door is always terrible. Bed of Chaos next? D: - I have an SL1 strategy for fighting it the proper way, but these days I just use tokhi bombs on any run, fuck BoC!

Two-hand the Eagle Shield in your right hand to block the hand swipes when you're going for the orbs. Havel's ring is probably needed iirc. Also stamina is key here, so I use at least 2 of these 4 items: Grass Crest Shield, Mask of the Child (buy from Patches if it didn't drop), Green Blossom, Cloranthy Ring. Stamina4dayz

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Centipede camera is bad, it can be mitigated by fighting him where the green shard is or the central land part, fighting it near the door is always terrible. Bed of Chaos next? D: - I have an SL1 strategy for fighting it the proper way, but these days I just use tokhi bombs on any run, fuck BoC!

Two-hand the Eagle Shield in your right hand to block the hand swipes when you're going for the orbs. Havel's ring is probably needed iirc. Also stamina is key here, so I use at least 2 of these 4 items: Grass Crest Shield, Mask of the Child (buy from Patches if it didn't drop), Green Blossom, Cloranthy Ring. Stamina4dayz

Yeah, Bed of Assholes next after Centi. Sigh. It's the real and only low point of Dark Souls for me (although I am not a fan of Tomb of Giants, it's not in gutter like BoC).

These days I typically stand from a far and use bow and arrow to shoot the orbs, then Quit, Load back in. But... my character can't hold a bow for shit at sl1, so Bombs it is.

I'll try the Eagle shield method too!

Thanks very much.

I am still scared about 4Kings. Hold me!!

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Centipede down. What a pain in the ass.

I found running round the side to be a pain because he takes so long to get to you, if you die, its doubly annoying. Maybe OK for peeps that are better than me at beating the shit head.

Off to BoC now then.. Then we can get out of this hell hole and off to New Londo.

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
BoC done. Was total bullshit as always. Glad that's done with now though, so off to New Londo now. 4Kings is the one I've been dreading the most, after S&O.

I think I may Havel the fuck up and try and Poise my way through it.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Tanking is definately the easiest strat. I would give it a try with Power Within at the same time just to make it go faster. With 20 Estus you should be able to just chug your way through any damage.

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I chose not to do the DLC.

I just cleared it now. Gwyn took maybe 20 attempts, but in the end went down in 3 attacks!!

Parry and Crit (1110 damage)
Fire Tempest FUCKED HIM BAD
Parry and Crit

sl1 was really cool. I'll give the game a break for a while then return later in the year. Thanks for all your help and advice, Red Liquorice

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
No probs and well done on doing the main game! The end game bosses are not easy.

So.... DS2 and 3 next? lol
j/k, I've thought about doing a DS3 SL1 run and think it's above my paygrade, I already have trouble with the DLC bosses on an over-leveled character.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm in the mood to watch people play through Dark Souls for the first time. Any recommendations beside Kay, EnB, Northern, Cowboy? Do we have footage of Lobos?

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
German Spy did some Dark Souls (and remaster) runs. EnB used to talk about him, so may be worth a watch.

Red Liquorice

Oct 27, 2017
UK
It might've been in another FromSoft thread but someone posted a link to someone's first playthrough who previous didn't play games I think, I'm trying to look for it now.

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
No probs and well done on doing the main game! The end game bosses are not easy.

So.... DS2 and 3 next? lol
j/k, I've thought about doing a DS3 SL1 run and think it's above my paygrade, I already have trouble with the DLC bosses on an over-leveled character.

Wasn't the biggest fan of DS2 so perhaps not. And, I've yet to play 3! Need to sort that out!!

safety_lite

Jan 16, 2018
Chicago, IL
I recently moved across the country and have been tackling this game in co-op with my buddy online. We jump on and play for an hour or so each night. We just made it through the Painted World of Ariamis. It's been a blast! We LOVE this game.

Does anyone know of any other similar online co-op experiences on Switch that we could dive into after this? We're keeping our fingers crossed for the DS2 release on Switch... :-/

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hello fellow Hollows! Just wanted to confirm that the Dark Souls Switch cart is region free, a seller shipped me the EU version instead of the pictured NA release but as far as I can read, Switch carts don't really do region coding that much? So it should play without issue?

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
Well somehow I ended up replying to a 2 year old post.

I recently moved across the country and have been tackling this game in co-op with my buddy online. We jump on and play for an hour or so each night. We just made it through the Painted World of Ariamis. It's been a blast! We LOVE this game.

Does anyone know of any other similar online co-op experiences on Switch that we could dive into after this? We're keeping our fingers crossed for the DS2 release on Switch... :-/

Maybe Divinity Original Sin 2, if you are into cRPGs / turn based tactics? It's a blast in coop.

Nov 14, 2021
Hi everybody!

I know that nobody is probably watching this thread, but I'm going to make a call for help anyways. I'm stuck at the Capra Demon. I've been stuck here for about 2 weeks. I've no doubt it is largely because my stats and build suck, but it is still frustrating.

Is there any chance somebody can either give me a good tip for defeating him, or somebody might be willing to join into a game and help me defeat him?

KennyLinder

Game Designer at EA
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Hi everybody!

I know that nobody is probably watching this thread, but I'm going to make a call for help anyways. I'm stuck at the Capra Demon. I've been stuck here for about 2 weeks. I've no doubt it is largely because my stats and build suck, but it is still frustrating.

Is there any chance somebody can either give me a good tip for defeating him, or somebody might be willing to join into a game and help me defeat him?

You can throw bombs over the door and kill him that way. That's what I tried on my SL1 build, worked a treat! Guides on YouTube for that.