• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
369Rr3o.gif

NVGQras.jpg

r5LZmrO.gif

NRnNSbU.jpg

6KBR7RG.gif

gKKbISx.jpg

QhJgdsi.gif

9qBoog6.jpg

rNGrSc9.jpg

OP
OP
iFirez

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
ueHLuLp.png

Text only OT

General Information
Developed by: Airship Syndicate
Published by: THQ Nordic
Genre: Top-Down Hack and Slash Action RPG
Modes: Single-Player & Two-Player Co-op
PC & Stadia Release: December 5th 2019
Console Release: February 14th 2020

Gameplay
In Darksiders Genesis you can switch between Strife and War at any time. Strife uses his pistols, Mercy and Redemption, to attack from range while War uses his sword, Chaos Eater, to attack enemies up close. Alternatively, two players can play the game in co-op, with each player taking the role of one of the characters. A big change from previous titles in the Darksiders franchise is that the camera is now pulled out and the gameplay is viewed from above; similar to Diablo.

Once the player has killed enough enemies, they are allowed to use burst abilities which allow them to take down enemies quicker and also build up to their powerful Riot and Chaos forms respectively. The game's currency is souls which can be earned by killing enemies and spent on different things. Platforming elements similar to previous games in the Darksiders franchise make a return (similar to the use of the Abyssal Chain in Darksiders 1) and certain gameplay mechanics such as bombs are present too.

Story
Darksiders Genesis is a prequel to all previous Darksiders titles – taking place long before the apocalypse we see in Darksiders 1. Here is the official synopsis of the story in this game:

From the dawn of creation, the council has maintained the Balance across existence. Carrying out their orders are the Horsemen, Nephilim (powerful beings spawned from the unnatural union of angels and demons) who have pledged themselves to the Council and have been granted immense power.

However, this power came at a tragic cost: the Horsemen were ordered to use their newfound strength to wipe out the rest of their kind. What followed was a bloody battle on Eden where the Horsemen, obeying the will of the Council annihilated the Nephilim.

Still reeling from the events on Eden War and Strife have been given a new assignment—Lucifer, the enigmatic and deceptive demon king,has been plotting to upset the Balance by granting power to master demons throughout Hell. War and Strife must hunt down these masters, gather information, and ultimately fight their way through a tangled, demonic conspiracy that threatens to forever upset the Balance and unravel all of creation.

Media
Darksiders Genesis - Abilities and Creature Cores Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eF70PaQgOWA
Darksiders Genesis - Not Alone Trailer (feat. Malgros the Defiler): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9rizcIquvo

Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/710920/Darksiders_Genesis/
GOG: https://www.gog.com/game/darksiders_genesis

OT by iFirez

EsK9rNs.png
A message from the OT Creator
Thanks for checking out the OT everyone!
I'm a big Darksiders fan so I'm glad I was able to do this one. My previous OTs have been Anthem and The Outer Worlds, I also did the animated headers for the recent Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order OT too. I decided to go a little more simple with this OT and save some of my crazier ideas for a big game next year... Looking forward to seeing which games I can do OTs for in 2020. Enjoy Darksiders Genesis when it launches on Thursday everyone, I know I will!

Last edited:

Deleted member 864

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nice OT!

Jeez I completely forgot the game was releasing so soon. I'll just wait for the console releases in Feb.

Dunlop

Oct 25, 2017
Great OT

The whole time this was listed as a Stadia release I thought it was a fighting game.

Assuming the price is not stupid I look forward to getting it on Thursday. Hopefully it satisfies a Diablo itch.

Namtox

Nov 3, 2017
Sharing this here. I've been playing the game for review in solo and local + online co-op on the hardest setting. I've played them all, and reviewed Darksiders 3 as well. Feel free to ask me any questions, and I will answer them in my video tomorrow and do my best to avoid any spoilers.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I'm legit very excited for this, the trailers and previews all look great. I have such a soft spot for this franchise, I even like DS3 well enough.

Unfortunately I'm going to be waiting until Feb for a console release, but I'm excited to see some early Stadia reviews.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019
I am not going to take apart my PC and upgrade it until I play this. I'm a huge fan of the series, bought III Day 1 and finished it before the rebalance patch and loved it.

Hoping for good things with Genesis.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
So is this game like Diablo then and not more like the first 3 games in the series?
Is there to a of loot with rarities and Acts you play through?
I'm trying to figure out what this is lol. I loved the first 3 games so I'm probably in no matter what it is

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
Emotional elevator lol

"What? An OT for DS Genesis? I thought this was far away"
*opens thread*
"Holy shit Dec 5? That's in 2 days, wooo great I didn't know !!!!"
*realises it's pc and stadia only, console is Feb*
NOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...........

Great OT, can't wait to play this in 2 months!

Biske

Nov 11, 2017
Emotional elevator lol

*opens thread*

Hahaha same reaction as me. Had to put my hype on hold

iHeartGameDev

Feb 22, 2019
Very nice looking OT, OP. Thanks for the time and effort.

So is this game like Diablo then and not more like the first 3 games in the series?
Is there to a of loot with rarities and Acts you play through?
I'm trying to figure out what this is lol. I loved the first 3 games so I'm probably in no matter what it is

From what I have heard this is actually not like Diablo but more of an isometric version of the other games (specifically the first).

OP
OP
iFirez

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
Beautiful OT game looks great, jumping in this weekend.
I can't wait for this, nice OT
Beautiful OT.
Will wait for reviews for this one.
and of course fantastic OT as always iFirez
Thanks everyone :) Wanted to make this one fit the Darksiders style but be quite simple at the same time, not quite as crazy as my Outer Worlds OT... or the animated banners I did for the Jedi: Fallen Order OT. Next year though, I'll bring the
Emotional elevator lol

*opens thread*

Yeah weird choice that they split the PC/Stadia and Console releases by 2 months. They've said numerous times in Twitter that it is because they're working on optimisations for the Console versions and want to release it in the best possible state on those platforms... while most repliers are speculating Google gave them some cash to make it only on PC/Stadia first.

Sorry that I gave you and Biske such an emotional rollercoaster!
reviews are coming tomorrow. excited to see where it lands.
Do we know when the reviews are posting tomorrow? I'm interested to see where this one sits, especially compared to DS3 scores. I imagine the budget on these newer DS games are smaller than DS1 and 2 but I enjoyed DS3 so. I got to play some Genesis at EGX London too and it felt REALLY good, such a fun core gameplay loop.

Honome

Jan 10, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
Emotional elevator lol

*opens thread*

Yes, that basically killed any hype that i could have for the game... being on stadia is even worse than being only on egs.

Edit: It's on steam, you dumb me!

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's 30 bucks on steam ? Should be same in stadia. Might pick it if it's a good port

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
wait what

this is coming out in 2 days?

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee

According to IGN, it's an isometric action-adventure that manages to play like Darksiders.

From what I have heard this is actually not like Diablo but more of an isometric version of the other games (specifically the first).

Wow that actually sounds crazier than it being like Diablo. I wonder why the change from full 3D to isometric? Smaller budget maybe. Now I'm even more interested though !

Burt

Fight Sephiroth or end video games
Oct 28, 2017
Wow that actually sounds crazier than it being like Diablo. I wonder why the change from full 3D to isometric? Smaller budget maybe. Now I'm even more interested though !
A lot of the Airship Syndicate crew is ex-Darksiders staff I think, and I want to say that I read somewhere that they had the engine from Battle Chasers, and a team that was close with the current people on Darksiders, and the right pitch, and that was that. But it's deliberately not Darksiders 4.

Also, from one of the trailers:

N8ITv4a.png

KYXQce2.png

Hopefully this is fun to play around with. Battle Chasers did a great job in having a system that was fairly streamlined but still maintained strong, distinct choices.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Really hope Airship makes another Battle Chasers after this. I love their artstyle and animation.

Mentalist

Mar 14, 2019

The Escapist did a "cover story" on this, where the devs basically said that yes, they went isometric because they are a much smaller team, and they already had experience with isometric games from making BattleChasers.

iHeartGameDev

Feb 22, 2019

Smaller budget maybe -- but also the team at Airship Syndicate works on isometric games. This is a completely different dev team than Darksiders 3 team. Different company actually! Airship was formed by some of the team from Vigil studios before it closed down -- and so was Gunfire games (the team behind Darksiders 3). So it's like we have veterans at both of these studios and now they have all been able to continue working on the series!

Iscariot

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Banger OT. Thanks.

Looking forward to this game, looks like it hit that Zelda/Crystalis itch.

Zim

Senior Animator at Airship Syndicate
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Austin, TX
Great OT iFirez !!!

As an animator here at Airship, I can't wait for y'all to play this and see the craziness that we have in store for ya.
I'm on lunch for the next 20-30 minutes, feel free to ask me any questions.