• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
hi. so i just saw game importers here in iran advertising darksiders 3 as having farsi subtitles. i thought it was a joke but turns out it's true. i'm so pleasantly surprised that a game company would add farsi subtitles to their game, i don't know of any other game that has done that before. big props to thq nordic games and gunfire games, i'm sure the iranian fans will really appreciate it.
even tho no game company officially does business here, the market for video games has gotten really big and it feels good to see a company want to make their games more enjoyable for fans here who don't know english very well or want to experience it in our own language.

here's some reactions:

edit: it's more than subtitles, the game is fully localized in farsi
photo_2018-11-22_14-19-34.jpg

photo_2018-11-22_14-19-38.jpg

Last edited:

Kilbane65

Oct 27, 2017
That's pretty cool. I wonder what lead to this though, maybe someone on the dev team is from Iran?

Ephonk

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Belgium
Very cool.
Was in Iran last year but never saw anything videogame related. But like most things in Iran it's probably only visible for those who know where to find it.

Oct 25, 2017
Thats amazing to happen , Arabic wasnt common either until years ago and it is now in most releases , so i hope it is the same case for Farsi

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Man, I wish I knew this earlier would've loved to support them day 1 for this.

DS3 will for sure be my next gaming purchase solely because of this.

ThePhoque

Jun 6, 2018
Novigrad
Great news.
Hope more developers support this language, Specially Ubisoft (it would make so much sense since they have a love for iran with their PoP series xD)

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
It makes me wonder... just how much is the budget to add an additional language for a game?

If Darksiders III that only aim for 100k copies can do this, why can't the big AAA games do the same, or much better?

nikasun :D

Oct 30, 2017
It makes me wonder... just how much is the budget to add an additional language for a game?
It depends on how much a word is worth. If you say that the game has 100k words (let's just say they are all counted as new, no repetitions etc.) then multiply it by whatever word price they have 7? 8? more/less cent per word and you got the translator covered. Another person has to proofread/review it and then there are always PM costs of people organizing everything.

Edit: Since this is probably for subtitles, someone has to make sure that the length of the subtitles are correct and so on.

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
Thats amazing to happen , Arabic wasnt common either until years ago and it is now in most releases , so i hope it is the same case for Farsi
Sadly, Arabic dub/sub is still very rare in Japanese games. It's mostly western games that have Arabic, probably because that's what sells in the ME.

Polygatari

Banned
Sep 29, 2018
Beautiful.

Gaming industry has a lot of catching up to do to other industries, when it comes to marketing their wares to developed countries outside of the West and Japan. The audience is there, they are part of the global American-lead culture just like we are, they are on internet with their modern computers, laptops, smartphones and smart pads just like we are, many have self-taught themselves English to be able to enjoy games etc. and some HAVE to pirate because there literally is no other choice or way for them to experience certain games legally within their country.

Sony First Party are great at having a variety of Worldwide language options. Rest of the gaming industry should follow suit.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, I wish I knew this earlier would've loved to support them day 1 for this.

DS3 will for sure be my next gaming purchase solely because of this.
lol, the game isn't even officially out yet. the release date is the 27th, the game is available here now because they're importing it from arabic countries that break street dates and sell the physical copies as soon as they get them.

Which region of the game has Farsi subs btw?
they're advertising the europe version as having farsi subtitles, but the US version probably does too
0d54a9c6-dd77-4458-buni59.jpeg

If Darksiders III that only aim for 100k copies can do this, why can't the big AAA games do the same, or much better?
big companies can do it too for sure, but remember that most of them have no official presence here in iran, so they may see no reason to support the language of the country.

Last edited:

Malek

Feb 15, 2018
I've yet to see a game with Romanian subtitle in it, like we do have a local Playstation store but no game supports the language?

OldMuffin

Nov 1, 2017
Yo, go buy all of THQ Nordic's sh*t! They are literally doing God's work in the games industry and they deserve all your money!

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
lol, the game isn't even officially out yet. the release date is the 27th, the game is available here now because they're importing it from arabic countries that break street dates and sell the physical copies as soon as they het them.

they're advertising the europe version as having farsi subtitles, but the US version probably does too
0d54a9c6-dd77-4458-buni59.jpeg
I hope region 1 has it as well.

And yeah the game isn't out yet but knowing the situation with our economy if I knew about this earlier I could've saved up for it. Now I'll have to get later :(

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

And yeah the game isn't out yet but knowing the situation with our economy if I knew about this earlier I could've saved up for it. Now I'll have to get later :(
oh yeah, it's going to be very expensive for the first one or two weeks, and even then it's not gonna drop too much. right now the price is 800ish tomans, will drop to 550, 600 in a month.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
oh yeah, it's going to be very expensive for the first one or two weeks, and even then it's not gonna drop too much. right now the price is 800ish tomans, will drop to 550, 600 in a month.
I mostly buy digital, that's why I was asking which regions have it.

Btw, some pics of the Farsi subs in the game. The translation is pretty good actually.

Navid

Oct 26, 2017
Good on them, getting Farsi subtitles is definitely outside of the norm and for good reason... still very nice to see.

Was in Iran last year but never saw anything videogame related. But like most things in Iran it's probably only visible for those who know where to find it.
Video-games aren't really hidden in Iran, but unfortunately due to trade restrictions and economy it's mostly done via last gen cracked systems and pirated copies of games... but you can definitely find game shops and internet/gaming cafes in the open.

Edit: For those living in Iran, feel free to correct me on the above. Been a few years since I last went back to visit so things might have changed.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Btw, some pics of the Farsi subs in the game. The translation is pretty good actually.

OMG holy shit!
i thought they just meant subtitles for the cutscenes. so the whole game is localized in farsi? this is MAJOR, i'm sure the game is going to sell very well here, even if just for the novelty of having a fully localized game in our language.
and yeah, translation is good but it's kinda funny tho to see them localize the main character's name (Fury) as خشونت‌.

Video-games aren't really hidden in Iran, but unfortunately due to trade restrictions and economy it's mostly done via last gen cracked systems and pirated copies of games... but you can definitely find game shops and internet/gaming cafes in the open.

Edit: For those living in Iran, feel free to correct me on the above. Been a few years since I last went back to visit so things might have changed.
it used to be like that, but there's been a massive change in people's attitude towards games and piracy, ps4 is HUGE here and almost everyone buys legit copies (does ps4 even have piracy?), the second hand market is very big too. you can see many shops that sell ps4 games, both new and used. but you're right, prior to ps4 the market for non-pirated games was very small.

Last edited:

Darkkahn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mostly buy digital, that's why I was asking which regions have it.

As an Iranian, I'm so happy to see this happen.
The translation is ok-ish. They have translated "Fury" which is her name that makes some sentences ambiguous.

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
Awesome to see this. I don't think I've ever seen an option for Farsi/Persian but then again I'm in the US.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
The translation is ok-ish. They have translated "Fury" which is her name that makes some sentences ambiguous.
Yeah translating Fury's name does make some of the sentences a bit ambiguous, but still considering how different our language is compared to English, I'm really surprised that it is this fluid and easily understandable.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
yeah that's not a great choice, character names shouldn't be directly translated.

Awesome to see this. I don't think I've ever seen an option for Farsi/Persian but then again I'm in the US.
you haven't seen them cuz it's never there. this is the first major western (or japanese) console game that i see with a full farsi localization.

Daxter01

Nov 3, 2017
Awesome ایول but now this may get some unexpected attention and some asshole here decides to ban it like BF3

Oct 25, 2017
(does ps4 even have piracy?)

To reply to this question , Yes PS4 has some sort of piracy and fully working pirated games in it but i don't know how far it got or how stable it got

Who's doing Arabic other than Sony and Ubisoft?

Steamspy has the option to browse games that has specific language

https://steamspy.com/language/Arabic

From first two pages page alone I can see CD Projekt , Capcom , Square Enix , Namco and WB supported Arabic language

Oct 29, 2017
Wow! That's really cool! Props to THQ Nordic!

What other games have Farsi localisations? Or other lesser known language support? (I know that God of War 3 had Greek)

How about Turkish? I have a friend who is always on the lookout for games that have Turkish language localisations!

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Awesome ایول but now this may get some unexpected attention and some asshole here decides to ban it like BF3
ugh i hope not. it won't matter here because it's not like the games are legally imported, but for thq they will likely not want to deal with the publicity of having one of their games being banned by the government of iran.

MorfiUM

Chicken Chaser
Jan 15, 2018
I don't know any farsi, but damn, those screenshots look like a piece of art. It just fits perfectly.

Oct 25, 2017
What other games have Farsi localisations?
This War Of Mine and Frostpunk have Farsi localization, but not on Steam AFAIK. Developer of Children Of Morta - Dead Mage - is an Iranian studio and 11 bit studios is the publisher of the game, so they have a partnership and Dead Mage is selling This War Of Mine and Frostpunk with Farsi language in its own (terrible) client called Hayula (meaning monster).

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Woah, seriously!? That's pretty fucking cool! Way to go, Gunfire Games!

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
OMG holy shit!
i thought they just meant subtitles for the cutscenes. so the whole game is localized in farsi? this is MAJOR, i'm sure the game is going to sell very well here, even if just for the novelty of having a fully localized game in our language.
and yeah, translation is good but it's kinda funny tho to see them localize the main character's name (Fury) as خشونت‌.

it used to be like that, but there's been a massive change in people's attitude towards games and piracy, ps4 is HUGE here and almost everyone buys legit copies (does ps4 even have piracy?), the second hand market is very big too. you can see many shops that sell ps4 games, both new and used. but you're right, prior to ps4 the market for non-pirated games was very small.
"Kh(a/e/o)sunat", or something like that? :D Didn't know that word, but well, though I'm fluent in Farsi my vocabulary is still too small outside of everyday convos (at least still - after I'm fluent in Japanese in 1-2 years I might start expanding my Farsi for real).

Man, has it gotten any better in the last weeks? Last I heard 1€ was like four times as expensive as it was when I was over there the last time over 5 years ago or so.

Wait, I assume you mean 800,000 (even then it would only be ~16€ if I'm not wrong, but I guess it'd make sense that game prices are lower there)? The toman/rial thing and the fact that people, iirc, always abbreviated prices in casual speech by leaving off the "thousand" part always confused me when I was there, lol.

Very cool.
There were(are?) actually a lot of game shops/clubs where youths chill and play together. I have vivid memories of the game bazaars too consisting of many smaller shops ran by younger folks. They were like paradise for me as a kid when I want there on vacation with every game available you could imagine including obscure stuff we didn't get in Germany (in my childish naivety I only later realized all the PS1 I had bought were pirated, lmao, but I had friends with modded PS1s at least).

Abudiix

Sep 8, 2018
Malmö, Sweden
That's really good. I would love it have all languages on all versions or at least be able to download it from store. I hate that I have to purchase the middle eastern version just to be able to use arabic subtitles/dub. It's already there just put it in the store

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Kh(a/e/o)sunat", or something like that? :D Didn't know that word, but well, though I'm fluent in Farsi my vocabulary is still too small outside of everyday convos (at least still - after I'm fluent in Japanese in 1-2 years I might start expanding my Farsi for real).
khoshunat.
they've translated the character's name (fury) to farsi too, which i wouldn't have done, as character and location names are better left untranslated. and even then, that word, خشونت (khoshounat) means more like violence, not fury. fury should be translated to خشم (khashm).
that's awesome that you're learning farsi, may i ask what made you interested in the language?

Man, has it gotten any better in the last weeks? Last I heard 1€ was like four times as expensive as it was when I was over there the last time over 5 years ago or so.
man, things aren't good. the exchange rate is ridiculous right now, literally 4 times what it was 10 months ago.

Wait, I assume you mean 800,000 (even then it would only be ~16€ if I'm not wrong, but I guess it'd make sense that game prices are lower there)? The toman/rial thing and the fact that people, iirc, always abbreviated prices in casual speech by leaving off the "thousand" part always confused me when I was there, lol.
lol. let me simplify it.
rial is the official currency, but no one uses that. people use toman, each toman is 10 rials.
when referring to prices, we (usually, almost always) ignore the last three 0s. so if something is 8,000,000 rials, we would say 800,000 tomans, and then not even say that and just say 800 tomans.
where it gets even more confusing is, when referring to more expensive things (cars, houses, jewlery), we ignore the last 6 0s. so if a car is 100 million tomans, we may just say the price as 100 tomans too. i don't blame you for being confused by it :)