• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Blu

Oct 25, 2017
Two more games until we get a story past the first game ending.

Hope this is good.

Oct 26, 2017
I recently bought both Darksiders 1 and 2 in anticipation of this game. I beat the first game, and thought it was a solid action game. I just barely started 2, and am seeing how different it'll be compared to the first game. I hope to get Darksiders 2 done pretty soon so that I can play through 3!

Oct 25, 2017
They really should just make Strife's game the one that advances the story post Darksiders 1 ending. The idea of a 4 player co-op game was more something I were thinking about when the franchise were at its peak, now we're happy to just get a new game.

Anyway, heard some really good things about this game from people who played it, but I think I'll only get to it after the DLC comes out, I'll try to replay the series before it, too.

Rick Sanchez

Oct 27, 2017
NPNI13K.jpg

PonsArak

Oct 27, 2017
I have bee preordered since Steam allowed it. Love me some Darksiders, especially if its more 1 than 2. Bring it on! Love the story, ds1 ending so hype, it never gets old

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
Nice to see the OT up. I'm half way through the game. Really enjoying it so far.

To reiterate some of my points from the other thread:
Enjoying it more now?

Do you think the performance lessens your experience?
I've been enjoying it from the beginning, I just have issues with the combat at times... however, I believe that was more the way I looked at the combat and approached fights, rather than the combat itself.

I like the story, it does some things I wasn't expecting and feels right at home with the other two games. I'm about half way done with the game, so I'm going to save and call it a night now I think. Continue tomorrow.

Oh, and performance. It's hit and miss... I feel like sometimes I go a good stretch without noticing any issues and then there's just a plethora of performance issues all one after the other.

The game feels to me like a mix between Darksiders 1 and 2 in terms of world design and progression, mixed with Dark Souls and then Metroidvania aspects sprinkled throughout. I did get a little frustrated with the combat after a few hours of play yesterday but reevaluating how I looked at the combat, ie. not like a standard hack and slash and approach fights more tactically made things much better.

Environments are surprisingly varied as are enemy types. The story is shockingly engaging (as a fan of the previous two games) and voice acting is great all around.

Going to continue playing now and see how the rest plays out. Again great OT!

Update:
I forgot to also let folks in this thread know, I saw two pretty bad bugs yesterday. I'm playing before the release hotfix so these may be fixed in that:
So I just ran into two really strange bugs back to back:

The first is a fight the game puts you in on a loading/level transition, meaning that if you get knocked back into the loading area it pauses to load mid fight... over and over again.

Second is one of those standard none-loaded area bugs but it seems to have been caused by the first bug not loading the area correctly.

Any easy to way report these to Gunfire? Also anyone else who's played this come across these?

I'm playing on PS4 Pro for anyone interested.

Last edited:

Deleted member 15497

User requested account closure
Oct 27, 2017
Nice OT JaseC.
Any word on STEAM preload?
Although to be fair most games take longer to unpack than download for me.

Deleted member 42686

Banned
Apr 26, 2018
The game feels to me like a mix between Darksiders 1 and 2 in terms of world design and progression, mixed with Dark Souls and then Metroidvania aspects sprinkled throughout. I did get a little frustrated with the combat after a few hours of play yesterday but reevaluating how I looked at the combat, ie. not like a standard hack and slash and approach fights more tactically made things much better.

Environments are surprisingly varied as are enemy types. The story is shockingly engaging (as a fan of the previous two games) and voice acting is great all around.

Going to continue playing now and see how the rest plays out. Again great OT!

About the combat, the guy I quoted a time ago didnt answer.

Is the combat closer to 1, 2 or neither? Not a fan of 2, so whatever comes closer to 2 would suck for me.

OP
OP
GrrImAFridge

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
They really should just make Strife's game the one that advances the story post Darksiders 1 ending. The idea of a 4 player co-op game was more something I were thinking about when the franchise were at its peak, now we're happy to just get a new game.

Anyway, heard some really good things about this game from people who played it, but I think I'll only get to it after the DLC comes out, I'll try to replay the series before it, too.

That's probably not going to happen. 3 sets up 4 as another sidequel with the Charred Council's comment at the beginning of the game that Fury was chosen because "War is in chains, Death is missing, and Strife attends to other matters".

Nice OT JaseC.
Any word on STEAM preload?
Although to be fair most games take longer to unpack than download for me.

There most likely won't be a pre-load. Nordic has thus far never done one on PC.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
About the combat, the guy I quoted a time ago didnt answer.

Is the combat closer to 1, 2 or neither? Not a fan of 2, so whatever comes closer to 2 would suck for me.
Personally it's closer to 1 but it doesn't feel like either of them, not completely anyway. You move and dodge like you're out of a Dark Souls game and enemies hit much harder than in previous games. You have to time your attacks, wait for opening and dodge enemies a lot. In 1v1 situations you can just go ham on the enemy but sometimes they put you up against 7-10 enemies at once so you have to evaluate the area and wait for openings to attack or else you'll die over and over and over (which happened to me yesterday) plus everything respawns on death and you have to make it back to your dead body to collect your souls again.

Deleted member 42686

Banned
Apr 26, 2018
Personally it's closer to 1 but it doesn't feel like either of them, not completely anyway. You move and dodge like you're out of a Dark Souls game and enemies hit much harder than in previous games. You have to time your attacks, wait for opening and dodge enemies a lot. In 1v1 situations you can just go ham on the enemy but sometimes they put you up against 7-10 enemies at once so you have to evaluate the area and wait for openings to attack or else you'll die over and over and over (which happened to me yesterday) plus everything respawns on death and you have to make it back to your dead body to collect your souls again.

Even though D1 can have you punished with higher difficulty(aways play on apocalypt), what you describes seems to me more like a Souls game, which isn't bad but I would say can be a bit out of game in terms of fighting mass mob of creatures. Have to wait and see for the results, thanks for the imput.

WeteHa

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Watched a stream for a couple minutes, and I swear to god some kind of exploding enemies in a water section had the same sound as the Oracles in the Vault of Glass in Destiny 1

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
Watched a stream for a couple minutes, and I swear to god some kind of exploding enemies in a water section had the same sound as the Oracles in the Vault of Glass in Destiny 1
THAT'S WHAT THEY SOUND LIKE! I've just gone through that area and the bombs sound like these metal chime sounds and all I could think is... I've heard this before. The bloody oracles!

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
JaseC I suggest removing the quotes around the gifs and images. they don't really do anything but obscure the gifs as they're already quite small by nature.

OP
OP
GrrImAFridge

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
JaseC I suggest removing the quotes around the gifs and images. they don't really do anything but obscure the gifs as they're already quite small by nature.

Unfortunately, the quote tag is the only one I can use to create sub-sections as the table tag isn't enabled/supported on here. Also, if you're referring to the screenshots as well, it's the quote tag that's downscaling them to thumbnails. They'd blow up to full size if I were to remove it. Sorry. :(

Last edited:

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
Really happy that this series continues.

Loved the first 2 games and we need to get to get to that Darksiders 1 ending some day.

Also good to hear that people who already played it liked it.

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
Been playing some more this morning, really feeling it even more now.
I've got all four hollows. The last one (stasis) is really cool. Unlocks walking on water and Metroid style wall jumps. Now I have Fury's full Arsenal there's some cool tricks you can do and interesting combos when switching between hollows. The story has taken an interesting turn too, I wonder if the game will give us a choice or something because it's leaning into the idea of choice but then we'd have the argument for which choice is canonical so I guess I'll see, maybe the game will make that choice for us? The Gluttony boss fight was crazy, first half of the fight standard fun but then the second half was a little annoying but once you figure it out it was easy and he went down quick.

One thing I also wanted to talk about was Rampage (Fury's horse) which we see is Dead... I hope there's a way to bring it back because if we ever get the four horsemen game... one can't be missing a horse!
Anyone else who got the game early want to chime in with their impressions? Are we opening a spoiler thread for the game at any point? If not I'll keep everything I talk about in deep spoiler tags like this post just so no one accendtially opens it (you have to click twice to see spoilers).

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Unfortunately, the quote tag is the only one I can use to create sub-sections as the table tag isn't enabled/supported on here. Also, if you're referring to the screenshots as well, it's the quote tag that's downscaling them to thumbnails. They'd blow up to full size if I were to remove it. Sorry. :(
You could use font sizes to make header text and indent the subsection contents a bit. The screenshot quote box is fine.

DrDeckard

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I watched 30 minutes of it yesterday and I thought it looked brilliant. I'm so close to jumping in. the game collection has it at £37.95. I feel like I should support, but I've spent so much money over black friday :(

Reddaye

Mar 24, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
Really rolling a purchase back and forth in my mind. I really, really enjoyed Darksiders 1. I enjoyed aspects of Darksiders 2, but felt the entire package suffered from being less tight and focused than the first game. This one looks a lot more in line with the scope of 1 than 2.

Waiting to hear overall impressions before I take the plunge, but it's pretty likely I'm going to get this. We were lucky to see the series continued after so long.

Egg0

Oct 25, 2017
I remember watching the FIRST gameplay video on IGN way back when and going "eeeehhhhhhh."

Just saw some walkthrough videos and it looks damn fun.

Garbrenn

Oct 30, 2017
Cautiously optimistic about this game, the first gameplay videos that surfaced looked really rough but recent gameplay seems much improved. Glad to hear it's much more like DS1 than DS2, played the first to completion and enjoyed every second but after 5 hours or so the second one just did not grab me at all.

OP
OP
GrrImAFridge

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
You could use font sizes to make header text and indent the subsection contents a bit. The screenshot quote box is fine.

Yeah, I considered that back when I was making my first OT and deciding on a template to use going forward but thought it'd look a bit iffy (or rather, even more iffy than what I ultimately settled on ;)). I'll play around with it tomorrow while I'm waiting for unlock o'clock on Steam.

They are targeting native 4K for X with this I just read. That sounds good!

It's confirmed to use dynamic resolution scaling on consoles, but the X version may very well be close to if not at 4K more often than not.

Last edited:

Garbrenn

Oct 30, 2017
Can anyone who's currently playing this tell me if the environments of this one are more like 1 or 2?

DS1 felt more like you were wandering around a ruined earth, fighting on skyscrapers, on churches, sewers, office areas etc... Whereas 2 felt more like a traditional fantasy game (ice towers, rolling hills and stone temples.)

I really liked the style of 1 more, gave me the out of place which ramps up the creep factor vibe that I got from the first Half Life.

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, I considered that back when I was making my first OT and deciding on a template to use going forward but thought it'd look a bit iffy (or rather, even more iffy than what I ultimately settled on ;)). I'll play around with it tomorrow while I'm waiting for unlock o'clock on Steam.

It's confirmed to use dynamic resolution scaling on consoles, but the X version may very well be close to if not at 4K more often than not.

Nice!

And really, after RDR2 it wouldn't really surprise me that much too.

Akelisrain

Oct 30, 2017
Bel Air MD
I am still trying to decide what platform to get this on. Being on Linux I can't say for sure Steam will be the best option. Otherwise, I have purchased the 1st 2 games everywhere I can. Except Wiiu, I skipped that port.

Fairy Godmother

Backward compatible
Oct 27, 2017
I thought it was a budget title until I saw it's selling at full price. Hope it does well still!

OP
OP
GrrImAFridge

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
I am still trying to decide what platform to get this on. Being on Linux I can't say for sure Steam will be the best option. Otherwise, I have purchased the 1st 2 games everywhere I can. Except Wiiu, I skipped that port.

If you buy the game on Steam, you can always refund it doesn't play nicely with Proton. Also, keep in mind that time played in Offline Mode doesn't count against the two-hour playtime window on refunds, so you can use it tinker and save the two hours for the campaign.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Following this OT closely for impressions. I'm very busy gaming wise right now but I've had a soft spot for Darksiders in the past and hope to see good impressions roll in, but I can't afford the time or money to pick up 3 right at launch. Hope I can squeeze it in between Christmas and Resident Evil 2, though.